Options

Another Newbie!

Comments

• Options

Don't panic beginners gal. It's 4 months away yet and i'm confident you can manage it. You'll be surprised how much easier it is to train now you have a goal in sight. So where is this duathlon taking place?

Hey Richard - It's a bummer isn't it? Took me ages to get over my chest infection. But then the asthma hasn't helped. Doctor advised me to aviod running on the streets for the first few times when i felt enough to try after my infection. She advised using a treadmill as i wouldn't be inhailing so much crap from the back end of cars and the place would be warmer. If you can get access to a treadmill give it go for the first few times.

Congrats Dippy! It's it a wonderful feeling. Here's to adding another 3 miles onto that route!

I went out for my first run of the year. It was awful! I'm ashamed to say i only managed a mile before i decided i'd had enough. Fortunitely i didn't have to walk back home cos i'd gone on the treadmill in the garage but it was still a killer. I'll try again tomorrow but i think i really just wasn't motivated enough to do it.

• Options

Chin up Sarah.  One mile is better than no miles & you made the effort.  And well done to you Richard as well. Loads of chesty things doing the rounds and seem to take forever to shift. 

Brave girl BG, and how exciting.  Serious stuff. Let us know how your training goes. 

Well, I went out yesterday morning armed with my husband's MP3 player as mine was out of charge.  I don't usually run with music but thought Id have a go.  His taste in music is very different to mine and in the end I found that I'd started out too fast cos I was running in time to the  various rock tracks!  Got to 4m and legs were deadweights.  Final 2m were a bit stop/start but got back in just over the hour.  Had a long soak in the bath to thaw out my legs, it was very cold again.

Spoilt all that hard work by having an indian takeway with friends in the evening.  Have told myself this is the last big blow out as would be getting back to healthier eating (ha, having just  polished off a crunchie bar from my son's selection box cos Im the only one in the family that likes them). I will be good from now on!

• Options
    So is the weather cold enough for everyone? All i can say is thank god for the treadmill as there is no way i am taking to those streets in this weather! I nearly fell over just walking today!
  • Options
    I'm with you on the treadmill, Sarah.  Had planned a longer run today but the cold and windy weather made me think twice.  Hurrah for the gym just down the road.
  • Options

Hi Everyone,

Advanced entry to the GNR is available this week on the daily telegraph website under promotions. Just need to be able to get out and run now.

Got antibiotics yesterday turms out it is not my chest but my head and gunk running down, nice.

• Options

Back from earlier run.  Was very cold again but rather liked it.  Had to do some ice-dodging as there were quite a few thick patches.  Had MP3 again (mine this time, better music). Was humming along as I went in a world of my own.  Managed another 6m circuit.  The time flew by.  Only noticed one other runner .....and he was in shorts!!  Been coughing a bit since got back in, must be sudden change from very cold to toasty warm.

• Options

Oh Richard that sounds so lovely! Good luck for your GNR entry, I'll keep everything crossed for you. As for me i think i'll give it a very definate miss this year!

Well done Doris! I had planned on going out but just cannot bring myself to do it in the cold and my running partner has said there's no way she's running in the really bad weather so i'm assuming she's just a summer runner! I will go on the treatmill tomorrow (possibly) and i would quite prefer to run outside but i know i would spend all my time worrying about slipping on the ice which would not help my run!

• Options
    Thank goodness the frosts have gone.  Glorious sunshine today.  Got up late this morning so couldn't do an early run. Will be off in about half hour. Seen loads of runners out already.  My hubby is taking my boys to play snooker/pool this afternoon so time is my own.  Bliss.   
  • Options

My last run was on Saturday and it was so cold i was rattling. It was so hard too. I only managed a mile and a half before i decided i had had enough. Hopefully it won't be so bad now that the frost has gone! Me and my mate are just off out round my village on Tuesday so hopefully it won't be too cold.

• Options

Hello all, hope the new year is being kind so far!

My running has been pants since new year. Had job interview to prep for, then the snow and ice and then a crappy cold/chesty cough/sore throat. So have done zero running and eating junk food. Oops.

The cold is very nearly gone, just a slight cough left. I don't know whether to go running tomorrow or not. Am considering walking to work and back (about 4 miles in all) so I get some exercise and see how lungs hold up to the cold air.

Good luck with the races RIchard and Beginner Gal! I want to do a 5k and 10k before going for anything like GNR, but very impressed!

Hope everyone has defrosted and is well.

• Options

I've just found out that I got in the GNR, all I need to do now is start running again as I think the cold has gone.

At least it is not so cold now and dry at the moment.

• Options
    Well done Richard! I wish i could say i'd see you there but no way!!!! I'm only back up to 2 miles. My fitness has really gone down.
  • Options

Thanks Sarah. Went out for my first run today managed 3 miles but what a struggle and not a good time but at least it is a start just need to keep it up now.

Looked at the weather forecast for next week and it looks cold again.

• Options

Well done Richard, that's great news about the GNR!

Good luck with the training.

Think i may venture out tomorrow morning, I really need to get out again, couch still there but no so chesty so I shall risk it I think. Desperately need to be out and about again!

• Options

Good news on the GNR, Richard.

Has anyone here tried the sports nutrition drinks/bars/gels?  I got some SIS ones free with a magazine subscription and tried the recovery drink after doing circuits the other day.  Can't say it was the best thing I've ever tasted, but it was drinkable.  Problem was 3 hours later I was stuck on the loo!!  I understand these things are supposed to be absorbed by the body quickly to replenish stores, but I didn't plan on them carrying on through the rest of the body quite so quickly!!  Am a bit put off about trying others now.

Have done another mini-duathlon at the gym today: 2k walk/run, 20 mins on the bike, another 2k walk/run.  Each 2k walk/run was about 20 mins.  I've noticed that when using the treadmill it takes longer to cover the distance than when doing it outside.

My race vest from Cancer Research turned up this week.  I feel like a proper runner now I've got a proper running vest!!

• Options
    Oh no!!!!!!! It's snowing!!!!!!! I hate snow!!!!! I'm going no where in this!
  • Options
    Hello everyone.

Been really busy lately so have been catching up on all your recent posts. Well done Richard for GNR. Excellent news.

BG - Training going well. Will certainly build up your stamina/endurance. Well done, honestly don't think I could run/bike/run like you are, very impressive.

Allybee - When will you hear about your job?

Ive been quite pleased with myself. Have managed to get out 3 times a week and run between 5 & 6 miles each time. Haven't always timed myself, just been running with no limits or restrictions and have enjoyed it so much more. Ive been so hard on myself the last few months and have decided enough is enough. Not doing any races for the foreseeable future. Had been trying to keep up with my brother who has improved no end but had to accept that it just wasn't happening for me, not at this point in time anyway.

Have had a little bit of a niggle with my heels over the weekend. Suffer occasionally with plantar fasc. and this has been rather uncomfortable of late. Probably not stretching as well as I should be. Never mind. Overall, all going well.
  • Options

Hey Doris - I'm really pleased to hear that your runs are going so well. I think sometimes you just have to cut yourself some slack otherwise you start to hate the sport you once loved.

Me and my friend are suffering a lack of motivation at the moment i'm afraid so the slightest excuse not to go out and we have been jumping on it! We've decided to cut out our Saturday run as we just cannot be bothered and have changed it to running Monday, Wednesday and Friday instead of Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday but because of the snow we didn't go out on Monday! But we will get there!

• Options

Weather is so naff here at the moment. Heavy blustery rain which eventually turned to sleet this afternoon.  Won't be going anywhere tonight.  Will attempt a morning run tomorrow if its calmed down. My right heel still aching  a bit (PF), but bearable.

Just back from JJB with my boys; was told that their supplier/distributer had gone bust so they are clearing out all current stock at reduced prices until new company starts things off again end of Feb.  Thought Id have a look for some more running leggins.  Unfortunately, must have been the last to hear it on the grapevine cos most of the stuff left was size 8 (no chance!)...... came away with a snooker cue for my youngest, got something anyhow.

• Options

Hi Everyone,

BG - With regards energy gels I use SIS go-gel as they are isotonic and you do not need water with them. The key is to try various and see how you get on before a race. When is your cancer research run?

Have been out several times last week and tried just running without worrying about pace as per AKA and its working as running further and enjoying myself, managing between 5 and 6 miles.

AKA - What are plantar fasc?

Just found out there is a running club where i work who go out on Tuesday lunchtimes, so brought my kit and just realised I left a towel at home.

• Options

Hi Richard,

Isn't it amazing how much better/further you end up running when you don't heap the pressure on yourself ?  Im enjoying it so much more these days.  Went out last night and did a good 6m again.  Didn't time it, although I have a rough idea.  Heel ok until just before going to bed and then started aching. 

The PF is the big muscle that runs along the length of the foot from the heel to about the ball/base of big toe.  Its very common to have probs with PF which relate to past injuries of the calf/achilles areas.  Pain/aches come in fits and starts and may have nothing for weeks and then it suddenly comes on.  Probably means Im not stretching properly or possibly enough, or even both.  Its not really severe, just quite uncomfortable at times.  Feels tender and like its bruised.  Do various exercises for it and sometimes the symptoms are relieved a bit.

BG - How are the gels going?  Personally, I can't take them.  They're far too thick and gloopy for me and make me want to gag.  Friend of mine said the best recovery drink is equal parts/measure of orange juice and water.  Unless you are running very long distances, reckons this is more than sufficient.

• Options

Running without worrying about pace seems to be working well for you Doris and Richard - sounds great.

As I'm still trying to build up my distance I always have quite an eye on the readout when I'm running on the treadmill.  Am going to do 2.5 k run/walk, 20 mins on the bike, then another 2.5k run/walk at the gym tomorrow.  Am now jogging for 30secs, walking for 45secs.  Really impatient to start running 'properly', but know I have to take it gradually.  April 19th (the duathlon) seems really close - scarily close.

Have to admit I have not tried the nutrition drinks/gels again.  Bit put off by the reaction after the last one!! 

• Options

There was an article in one of the issues of Runners World stating one of the best sports drink is apple juice apparently you need to drink 330ml before going out and regular sips while running and it is also low GI unlike all sports drinks. Also milk is supposed to be one of the best recovery drinks. 

Went out for 5 1/2 miles last night which felt great, I do keep the timer on but not the pace so no beeps etc. Trying to build my distance up again and then concerntrate on speed.

• Options
    So annoyed!!!!! I've got an infection in the ligaments in the arch of my foot and i can't run for at least three weeks!! What am i gonna do?? I've not been out since Monday and it's already driving me nuts!
  • Options

Sorry to hear that, Sarah.  How did that happen?

The weather is supposed to be cold and horrible over next week or so, so staying in and resting seems like a good idea.  Can you do any other exercise?

• Options

Blimey sarah, how did that come about?  How annoying.  Hope you're not in too much pain.

Ive missed one planned run cos of the bad weather but managed to get out yesterday but only managed 4.5m.  Been mega stressy at work and feeling rather drained at the moment. Staying in tonight and hoping to run again sunday night (if not too tired; both my boys have a football game, one morning KO, othr afternoon KO).   

Right heel/underfoot still feeling tender but am running slower so as not to make it worse and that seems to be working.

Weatherwise - snow is on the way for sunday into monday, oh joy. 

• Options
    Hey everyone. No idea how it's happened. Doctor kept asking me if i'd fallen over or something which i think i would remember! Anyway i'll give it a couple of weeks and see how it goes. Frankly i'm beginning to think i should have taken up power walking! It's absolutely freezing here! Just starting to snow here. Still at least i won't have to run in it!
  • Options
    Snow not as bad here as predicted; got out on Sunday night for a quick 4 miler before it came down (got a light dusting as evening wore on). Mind you was like a ghost town, everyone shut behind closed doors. It was great. Worse yesterday although now turned to mush with rain late last night.

Planning to do a 6m tonight as the sun is out and most of the ice has melted. Heel is still playing up. If Im still suffering by end of this month I think I'll go back to physio and see if he can do anything. Feels bruised and tender like its been clamped in a vice or something. Am having problems wearing some work shoes/boots sometimes as the whole foot ends up aching by the end of the day.
  • Options

Hi Everyone,

Haven't been able to get on the site this week as our external internet has been down.

Hope the infection in the ligaments is healing Sarah, sound really painful.  Hope the heel is healing Doris. 

How is everyone's running going or has the snow brought all runs to a halt. I am working in Belgium again now and we have not had any snow so, will have to see if I can get back home tonight just hope the trains are running.

Although no snow I have not been out this week as I have come down with another cold (feels like man flu) but I am soldiering on. I seem to have been really unlucky this winter as I have not had a bad cold/flu for about 4 years.

• Options

Hey everyone

Don't seem to have any pain in my foot whilst i'm walking but won't know for definate if it's better till i go for a run which won't be happening until the snow clears. Although i might try a quick 20mins on the treadmill tomorrow just to see what it's like.