Options

FLM 2009

1585960616264»

Comments

• Options
    Have been travelling for work so not been around to post. Although joined it quite late this has been a great thread and had some useful advice that I think made the difference in me doing it in 3.28.53. So thanks guy

Well done all who made the 3.30 and I think Nifty, Ian, JonathanG, Michael, and others that it was only the heat and related stomach issues that prevented you. Have heard so many stories of heat getting to people between 19 and 20 miles and having horrendous last six. I am not sure I would have had courage of Rioja and Nifty to finish feeling so sick.

I did wonder whether it was withdrawal from the wine that impeded you RRioja. Glad you back on it. I gave up drink at New year until the FLM and boy did the first beer and then wine with the post race meal feel good!

Agree the T-shirt was rubbish. Mind you, have not tried the Cranberry yet...

• Options

Chris, you ask about what times you need to do for 3.30 and like Nifty and OS, have been reflecting on my training.

I followed the 3.30 Runners World training schedule quite closely, although did races every weekend so that one of the distances for the week at least was at my fastest pace. In the process I clocked up 11 PBs! I ran a 1.37 half marathon half way through the training and a 1.34 marathon two weeks before the FLM. 2 weeks earlier I did a 20 mile race in 2hr31 and my best 10k time three weeks before FLM was 41.30. All were PBs by substantial margins and I ended up doing FLM in just under 3.29 despite heat.

I agree about the need to emphasise stamina. I did five 20 mile runs (two of them races), one 22 mile run and one very tough 30k race with 20 hills in it! So seven very long runs in the 10 weeks before the marathon. Also when the schedule said to do runs of 5-9 miles slow mid week, I mostly did these on a tread mill with a kenyan hills programme - i.e. ran the whole distance at varying, quite steep up hill.

Finally, I did not taper as much as most seemed to on this thread. Although I only did 8 miles in the week immediately before the marathon, I did about 35-40 the week before that and nearly 50 the week before that. I also did half marathon races on the two weekends prior to the FLM. The first one of these I got the abovementioned PB of 1.34 on, but I did take everyone's advice on this thread and just jogged round the second one. So for me, it seemed to work to keep up the training pretty hard until 10 days before and then reduce sharply in the last week. But probably everyone is different.

By the way, well done Sporty Badger - 3.25 and knocking 22 mins off you PB - better than my 3.29 and knocking 14 mins off and would be interesting to hear how you trained.

• Options

Thanks for the advice guys i know ive got to achieve those times by next year however , i would like to get my half time down from 1.45 -sub 1 40 by this Autumn.

So im going to concentrate on bringing 5 and 10 k times down during the Summer.

5K current =24 50-  Target  time= sub 22.00

10 k current =48. 50 Target time=sub 45 

What key sessions would peeps on here suggest to bring those times down? Will continue to knock out 40 miles a week consistantly  the next 5- 6 mths if i can avoid injury!

• Options

So what next.

First, is anyone setting up a new thread for 2010 and if so, how do we link to it. Not very good at such things.

Second, am going to register for next year's FLM - not sure if 3.30 is good for age for a fifty year old.

Third, am going to look up Seville marathon for next Feb - sounds great. If we all do it maybe we can all meet up...

Fourth, gearing up for up-coming races. You will probably think me mad, but committed to running a 5k race on Sunday in Manchester with a friend and then a 10k club championship race on bank holiday Monday! I feel really tired and have not run yet since the FLM so not sure how it will go. But then next weekend have a very tough hill 10 mile run - the Ripon 10 for anyone who knows it.

Fifth, then back into doing serious marathon training for four weeks before tapering again for the

Strassbourg Marathon that am running on 21st June on way to Italy. This has several miles of uphill so not aiming for a PB, but good stamina training I hope as my next big marathon is Berlin 3rd week September. Again planning to do a Half Marathon two weeks before as am doing the Budapest Half Marathon first week of September.

Anyone fancy joining me and my partner for any of the oversees marathons.

Ian, you said that you were thinking of doing Paris or New York. I have done Paris three times and enjoyed them all - good sights, crowds, bands etc but very crowded in places and water stations a bit treacherous. I enjoyed New York, but have to say that I preferred London by quite a margin - though the city of New York itself  is of course fantastic.

If you fancy something completely different, I did the Isle of Man marathon a couple of years back. It is very rural. It is two laps; the first is done by people doing half marathon as well but even then only about 250 runners and on the second lap there were only 80 of us, virtually no crowds and not even many marshalls and spent long stretches not seeing other runners even. But very friendly and great finish in a stadium.

I also enjoyed Prague, but the cobbles do slow you down in places.

Rioja, with your fondness for wines you might want to try the very fast Route de Vin half marathon in Luxembourg along the Moselle. We had a good time drinking lots of wine in the days before as well as after which may account for the distinct lack of a PB on what is an extremely flat and fast course!

Closer to home, I have done the Blackpool Marathon three times. It has always been a disaster with late starts, hot weather and problems like running out of water between 7 and 17 miles on a day when the temperature was 25 degrees. But have a masochistic fondness for it!

Anyway, hope to see you all on the 2010 thread.

If anyone does fancy linking up for any of the overseas races I am doing, let me know - /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif[/img]artonbusiness@hotmail.com]dartonbusiness@hotmail.com

• Options
    Not sure what happened to the email address in the last post. It is the last 26 characters only, beginning with darton!
  • Options

Chris Bayliss...I would try and build your speedwork over 800m (trackwork) coupled with some speedy Threshold run 6-7 miles...you'll find you 5 k coming down well into the 22 min range.  48 for the 10k is a possibility and again the emphasis on speed rather than slow longs will stand you in good stead...

this was a common error on my part for the 5k initally as body couldn't adjust to fast pace as had trained slow runs......P.B for 5 K is 19mins 32 secs ..but still hadn't broke 40mins  for 10k hopeing this year it'll happen...keep the variety along with the long runs otherwise you may plateau! (in my opinion!)

• Options

Those target times should do it, Chris.

I think for races of 5k and 10k it is a mixture of endurance runs of 8-12 miles, with six miles at least of the endurance run each week being at threshold pace (80% of your maximum fastest) and speed training. For that distance I gather the best speed training is relatively short interval training, i.e. repetitions of say 1.5 to 2 mins very fast with a minute or so rest inbetween, increasing the number of repetitions and the speed as the training goes on - but remember to have a mile or so warm up and cool down jog before and after such sessions to avoid injury.

But I am no expert - if you are a member of a club, you should ask one of the coaches. On the runners world site there is a pace calculator where you can put in the time you are aiming for for a particular distance and it tells you what your threshold pace etc should be and gives you a whole range of training sessions - interval training, long runs, threshold runs etc for you to mix and match each week - the usual rule being to do about 3 hard training sessions a week and not do hard sessions on successive days, but have a rest or slow run on the days inbetween.

Hope it goes well, whatever you choose to do,

• Options

By the way TS, forgot to say that I am sure you will have a good chance with Edinburgh if you train a bit in the interim period. I hardly did any last year between the FLM and Edinburgh and was only a couple of minutes slower in Edinburgh than London. The great advantage with Edinburgh is that is a significanly down hill course. The first four miles are down hill from the centre of the city to the coast and you do not have to go back up as the finish is much lower, near the coast. As long as it is not too windy it should be a good chance for you to get your 3.29.59 or even better.

• Options

Cant believe it. The Virgin site kept knocking me out when tried to enter the ballot, so decided to leave it until rush had died down. Now it says it is full. So wont be able to do it next year.

I had been told that GFA was 3hr30 for someone over 50, but I see that it is now 3hrs 15 so either I was misinformed or it has changed in last few years. No chance of that before the GFA closing date in August.

Still, I do have the Boston qualifying time, so that is also a possibility

But I think Seville seem even more attractive. Any idea when entries for that open Rioja?

• Options

Hi all, sounds like Seville could be a good turn out.  David, I have now done 3 marathons abroad and to be honest I actually found them better than London.

Ian not doing Great Baddow as it is my parents 25th wedding aniversay the night before and more importantly, after another trip to the phisio yesterday, it is confirmed that I have torn a calf muscle on my right leg so no running for me for a couple of week to allow for recovery and then ease back into running.  So just going to concentrate in getting the leg better and hopefully will be able to do the Southend half.

• Options

Chris

I agree with what carlo has said above about 10k training (I've never raced a 5k!),  I would also look to throw in some hill reps,  decent fartlek running and some strength work in the gym,  both core work and upper / lower body weights. I've got a weights circuit which I try and do once a week when training for shorter distances.  Because it generally follows a lower body rep with an upper body rep then there is no resting time between sets of reps which is quite good aerobically as well. 

I think it's essential to get below those times you've mentioned for 5k / 10k to have a good chance of a sub 3h30m but it's perfectly doable over the course of the summer,  good luck.

As for me,  very quiet week this week.  Gentle 20mins spin on thebike and cross trainer on Weds and nothing since.  I cancelled yesterday's swim due to a serious hangover and had a gentle walk instead! My knee is still quite sore on the outside but I'm going to be swimming & cycling over the weekend and if the legs feel better then will take in a 40min run mid next week.  I've got UK Ironman 70.3 tri in 6 weeks so will be taking in a couple of shorter tris before then and will look to Abingdon marathon in October for a sub 3h20m (gulp) which is the qualifying time for Boston next year.

• Options
    David, online entries for Seville don't open until August, September.
  • Options

Jaffa, realise one of the very few advantages of just turning 50 that I have now done the qualifying time for Boston of under 3hrs 30. Trying to do 3hrs 20 would also make me gulp! My partner is going to try for that in Berlin in order to qualify as he needs to do 3hrs 20 too and his PB is only 3hrs 31.

Will try doing some upper/lower body weight circuits. At the moment, I tend to do upper body with weights a couple of times a week, but not at same time as lower body or running.

Good luck with the ironman - have never felt capable of doing a triathlon, but may try it some time.

• Options

I'm sure a half decent gym manager would sort you out a programme David,  but if you want a copy of what I do as a starting point just drop me an email through the site and I'll send it to you next week when I get back into work.

I do like the sound of Seville as well,  it could well be a 3:30 thread reunion over there!

• Options
    Went for a short run this morning- I couldn't even maintain my marathon pace and my legs felt like lead!  I can belive the recovery rate of a mile per week!
  • Options

Did a 5k race yesterday in 21mins dead (which was how I felt at the end on my first post-marathon race). Then did a 10k race today that I was committed to as it was a club series run. Did first 5k okay in 20:45, but then really felt tired and my shoelaces came undone (phew, relief to have an excuse) and finished in 43:50, more or less 7 min pace. I do not think the 5 pints after the race yesterday then a big meal with wine - plus a whole tray of chocolates - helped! But had decided to have one week of decadence. Now from tomorrow will try and get back to a sensible training and eating regime in preparation for Strassbourg Marathon at end June.

I have a session booked with an endurance coach at my gym and have booked 10 personal training sessions Jaffa, so hopefully will get a programme including upper body etc, but will be in touch for your advice if not.

Yes, a reunion in Seville sounds good.

David

• Options
    David - well done.  I was struggling to do 5min/hm pace over 5miles yesterday!
  • Options
    Thanks OS. My partner is finding it slow to recover pace too - but I think everyone is different and the key thing is to just do what is really comfortable I think. Seems to be research that says actually if you do nothing at all for the 2 weeks following a marathon, you get back to fitness quicker in the long term. But so much contradictory advice out there I would just do what feels good and not worry at all if it feels a bit slow getting back. But its frustrating isnt it, feeling heavy-legged running at a fraction of speed you used to - just shows what doing a marathon takes out of you! We must be mad....
  • Options
    OK you guys I feel jealous that you are back running and I am not.  Stomach has been fine but my calf hasn't.  Do you think it would be save to do cycling?
  • Options

I've not been running yet either RL,  I've managed a decent cycle ride yesterday and biked into work this morning.

If you've pulled / put a small tear in your calf then I would err on the side of caution and leave it a little longer,   get a physio to look at it and give you some ultrasound and they'll be able to advise when it's reasonable to start exercising again.   It is frustrating being injured but it's even more frustrating coming back slightly too early and then having even longer out when it reoccurs.  Hope you get it sorted soon,  then ease back into training gradually. 

• Options
    Thanks Jaffa, physio has already had a look and try some treatment on it, it is a small tear at the top of the calf muscle.  OK will give it another week before doing anything, as it is throbbing a bit at times.
  • Options

sorry to hear about the injury rioja, but Im sure you need the recovery time.

David - interesting points about your long runs. I think that again I was probably 1 or 2 long runs light, and could have done with the extra mileage in my legs. There was only 4 mins difference in our times but Im sure those extra miles did a lot for your mental as well as physical strength.

Im seriously contemplating Paris now - and thinking seriously about Loch Ness