Options

GULP just entered my first half marathon

Comments

• Options

Richie68, Congrats on the Baby.. how exciting *gone all cooey at this point!* image

Foxy Lady wrote (see)

Well FE- I did as you prescribed and got out for some active recovery running. According to the HR guru bloke I should be keeping my HR below 155 for this.  My HR always goes sky high initially so the first .75 mile was more of a run/walk to keep the rate down which was probably a good warm-up; thereafter I managed to keep it in the zone no problem- limbs and lungs were no way capable of anything speedy, altho' looking at the mile splits I did gradually pick up the pace as the legs eased out a bit.

Check me... image hehe... just goes to show I actually listen to 'Mr fairy'.. but shh.. dont tell him, sometimes it pays me to play dumb!!

Julia, fab re the zips, how long til your holiday? and haha.. hmm.. Fairy Elephant.. erm.. yeah.. In the real world, I am a very small 4'10" petite female... however looks can be deceptive, my mum (god bless her, no longer here tho) used to say I was like a 'Fairy Elephant'.. the looks of Tinkerbell but the grace and composure of an Elephant, nothings changed Im still the same and you still hear me coming before you see me!!image

Princess.. I think I need a push too, sometimes sell myself short on my capabilities... when out with 'Mr Fairy' can run at just over 8 min pace but when on own its more like 9 min.

FW.. I found it really difficult at first adapting my pace for the half marathon training (slow running doesnt come easily either) and the treadmill has helped me a lot, I now know what my HR are for the speed Im doing... but hahaha.. dont know how I can but I still vary my speed whilst on there, my Nike plus looks like Ive been hill running!!

Marsbar cake sounds disgusting... too sugary... but fridge cake... Mmmmmmmm...

Am off for 8 mile speedwork (hate speedwork, with a passion altho it does go faster!!) tonight and am trying out a carb drink and 1 gel for size, have consumed the carb drink one hour before run.. as prescribed by Mr fairy (gotta admit to feeling slightly whoozy now thoimage!!!??!!) and take the gel 1/2 way thru run to see if any reaction... who knows!!! Il report back later

• Options

FW... did check out that randoms pics and it looked ACE.. is there none of you yet??

• Options

It was ace! Haven't found any of me yet (apart from the ones that I've got on FB of course) but I'll post links when I do!

I was just trying to decide whether to go and do three miles in the rain or drive to the chippy and buy chips, mushy peas and sausage in batter. Guess which one won?

*grabs car keys and heads out the door*

• Options

Evening all

Fridge cake - Delicious may need to be a good boy image Have to finish the Blueberry cake first though.

Well done on getting into your cruise clothes JT.

Drinkwise on long runs I use Isotonic and for gels still experimenting but have Lcozade sport bodyfuel (o.k tastewise) SIS isotonic (not to bad taste) and SIS smart energiser gel caffeine(bloody horrible taste but most effective). all very sticky.

Regarding trainers I know have 3 pairs on the go one done 300 miles, the other 170 miles both Asics and the Lunars 6 miles. Really want to try the Lunars on for Fridays 20 mile run but probably unwise too.

Hope the chips are good FW.

• Options

I'm also very jealous of the Lunars - Seem to be sold out in lots of places, or so I've been reliably informed.

just tried to change my nickname back - cos I'm so not a Princess and it won't let me!! So I'm stuck as PPB at the mo' Weird....

• Options

I've been checking the Lunars out too! Seems like we're stuck with one colour in the UK whereas in the USA they have some nice colours to choose from! Blue, Purple etc. Just need to find a supplier that ships to the UK! image

Princess - you changed from SP so it should work! image

• Options

I miss Fussy Wimp!

At your speed FE you should do your HM in under the 2 hrsimage

Welldone Julia on the zips - bet that feels great.

Managed to plod again tonight for 4 mile (11.13mmimage) which is better than Mon. 

I'm not in a running club but have a running partner who's faster than me which is great.  Like the idea of being in 1 cos sure it really helps but couldn't fit it in at mo. Maybe when HLs a bit bigger.

Off to see  HP tomorrowimage

• Options

Teddy Boy? (said in a derisory manner) A tough guy can't be called that i'm afraid. You will cease to be my hero if you insist on a name like that and it'll just be DC3 who's top banana for me!

I'm afraid your picture link didn't work, but i did do a bit of trawling myself and the course did look mighty impressive. I saw a pic of a man in a g-string which must have hurt! (was that you?)

Daren't follow the mars bar cake link in case i lose my typing but it sounds gross to me.

The gliding went ahead and SHL (step halfling) was sick during the second flight so generously asked hiis papa (Mr T) if he wanted to take his last go. So Mr T was catapulted up and has been feeling sick ever since. image I cannot believe the speed and angle of takeoff from a rope catapult thing. Awesome!

And during it all i managed the first chapter of the HR book so my 5 miler ended up with me keeping my HR under 141. Like you Foxy it whizzed round the 160's for the first half mile or so but it settled down. Although it was in the 130's a lot. do you think that's ok or should i speed up to nearer the 141 do you think?

Ed you should try it. Look up your highest HR ever recorded, take off your resting HR the take 70% of that. Then add your resting number back on. Then your recovery runs should be at that. Your hard runs then have 85% although i've not got onto that bit yet. Made my 5 miler easy peasy and i could have gone on and on and on and on and on.........(just like usual then)

Mr T is coming to the 4 parks, he's very much looking forward to meeting you all......

Hope you got home Vikki! We don't mind your Mum cooking image

Richie congratulations on the baby, maybe you could push it on runs to get it too sleep and give Mrs Richie some piece and quiet!

FE let us know how the gels go. I shall have to start on them after oct for the marathon trainng. Off to the IOW on sunday then the cruise is 2 weeks after that. I have to keep under control on the IOW so the zips still zip!

DC my running club lady says lucozade sport is good so may start to give that a whirl when i hit the 11 milers onwards again. Tempting to wear new shoes isn't it but you know what they say...............!

off to bed now to allow tears in muscles to repair and all that

nighty nighty

aaaaaah. that reminds me of Ashley. Hope he is ok!

• Options
    Evening Sally, enjoy HP, make sure you take a hanky! Well done on your 4 miles, don't blush at 11.13, most people couldn't even walk 4 miles let alone run at whatever pace.image
  • Options

*tries to understand Julia's tech-talk!*

So MHR was 190 (ish), RHR was 40. 190-40=150. 70%=105. Add 40 = 145.
    150 x 85% = 128 add 40 = 168.

Sounds doable! So what advantage is there to run by HR rather than minutes per mile?

Got a day trip to Reading tomorrow so early start again. Hopefully I'll be able to leave a bit earlier so I can get back and do some exercise! At least I've got Friday off. image

Night all.

• Options

Morning Guys image.

FW. Running by HR, new concept to me too... struggle slightly with it as my HR alters a lot dependent on tiredness, thirst, what Ive eaten, how hilly it is.. however, since getting treadmill..( yep, my butt is still well and truly welded to it).. Ive been able to wear HR monitor and as Ive been running at a fixed speed I have learned what my HR is at my Tempo and LSR pace!! My LSR pace that RW has given me is slower than I was initially running at, it has me running at 10.15 which felt really really slow at first but now as the miles are increasing its easier. My HR for that is 142-145 and my HR for my tempo is 150-160. I will run by my HR when out on the road as it seems for me the only way I will be able to monitor my pace image

Last nights run.. OMG.. as taken from RW schedule 'Speedwork 8 miles inc warm (10:15); [b]4x1600@8:14[/b] w/jogs (10:15) ; cool (10:15)' lets just say usually i have been inclined to 'cheat' slightly but I did the whole thing last night and it almost killed me!! Legs today aching like mad and my back too.. whats that all about!! and hahaha.. forgot to have my gel, but had the SIS Carb drink.. whoa, my head was very floaty with this and felt thirsty, however felt like I had energy tho, but legs thinking otherwise. Glad I forgot to take gel, think wouldve been too much last night.  Julia I tried Lucozade sport still last weekend really worked for me, would have it again, it made a difference for me, but think on the slighty expensive side.image

• Options

Morning All

Big Gulp postmans delivered my next race no. 2113 in capitals underneath MARATHON Gulp again.

• Options
    OMG... when is it?? image 
  • Options
    Sept 6th in the lovely city of Wolverhamptonimage
  • Options

Cor.. and I was panicking over my half in Sept!! lol.. you will be great by the sounds of it, keep reading the milage you putting it.. even on your hols!! lmao image 

Hmm.. Wolverhampton.. now theres an interesting place.. been once image, needless to say never returned.. not far from you then?lol.. have just read that back and am now hoping you dont live there!! image

Still jealous of your Lunar Glides.. I wont be beaten tho, have been digging around the internet and best I can get is the LunarTrainer+ on the Nike.com website and design my own and whoo hoo they start in my size!!  Have designed some whacky coloured ones!! yay... with 'lol.. FAIRY ID on them!! hehe

• Options

just ordered my lunars!  But can't find my Garmin image need to have a search  but going to go for lSR now otherwise i'll never get out not running home from ealing now just going to stay local as OH meeting cancelled!

GULP Darren- you'll be great though you've done the mileage!!

FE my mum txts me when she see lucozade sport on offer- currently in Tesco or Iceland if your ineterstedd!  Julia I love LS but love the raspberry flavour but races just have the orange so I don't want to get too used to the purple one!  Powerade i can stomach but gotorade no way- after my 10k in the heat and that was all they had it  made me image.

• Options

Darren- wow!!!!imageAwesome moment.

I can walk again! Recovery run helped and then cycled to sports massage today and after immense agony, she has fixed me. Ouch at the time though.

FE- love the designer trainers- photo when they arrive please.

Have been adding up trainer mileage and realised one pair are on their last legs (bit like me this morning) so will have to head to Sweatshop soon.

JT- I've decided to use the Garmin HM schedule again but using HR this time according to the book guidelines.  My upper limit for recovery runs is 155 but once I had warmed up I was well below this yesterday most of the time, apart from a hill, but it was all my achey legs could do at the time.  Need to read it some more when I am awake, it's a great one to send me off to sleep.

Sally- enjoy HP, we did.

Vik- Hope you locate your Garmin, nightmare.

• Options
    BerlinerinBerlinerin ✭✭✭

Hello everyone, especially Richie68 and Fairy E, who I've not "met" before.  Gosh, so much to catch up on, and so much of it about cake. image

Lost my running mojo for a bit, and find myself now in the reverse position of Fairy E;  I am behind on my HM training schedule, with no wiggle room before the Royal Parks.   Might have to sacrifice one of the easy recovery weeks coming up.  Have been out a couple of times this week, last night for 6.5 miles in the rain including a tempo run of 4 miles.  Take heart Sally, your plod is down to knee injuries.  Mine, well mine is just because I'm slow. image 

Some fantastic racing last weekend, well done all. imageimageimage  Foxy, possibly not very comforting, but your PW is something I aspire to!  Speedysnail, WOW how fast are you?  And as for Ed, most certainly not a fussy wimp.  Those pictures look absolutely terrifying.

• Options
    BerlinerinBerlinerin ✭✭✭

Very interested in the talk about sports drinks / gels.  My runs to date haven't been long enough for them, but I will start experimenting soon.  But can I just ask, sports drinks / water etc on long runs (2+ hours)..... HOW?  Do you carry the bottles with you?  I like the idea of a camelbak, but given that I won't be wearing one on race day, am loathe to use it in training.  Will there be lots of Lucozade stands at the Royal Parks?  Am I over-reacting? image

• Options
    BerlinerinBerlinerin ✭✭✭

Darren, what Foxy said.  Awesome! image

• Options

Elly- I don't worry about sports drinks for a HM; If it is going to be hot I carry a donut water bottle and stash a min pack of jelly tots. However when I did ReadingHM earlier this year I did the big no no and took a bottle of lucozade from the stand on the way round.  I think it did help but it gave me a sore stomach as I was not used to it.

You can make your own sports drink- half and half water and orange or apple juice and a pinch of salt.  Much cheaper.

What some people do on training runs is drive round route first and stash drinks bottles so they don't need to carry them.

• Options

EL.. imageThe reason why talk of gels for me is that I dont want to carry water... Im a pain in the **** for things freaking me out, cant even carry my gloves if I get too hot, if it wont fit in my pocket it doesnt come, hence I run most of the time in a vest top, or if really cold a long sleeved top cos I cant even have things wrapped around my waist... hate carrying things!! Mr Fairy reckoned the camelback would be good for me, but I still reckon Il find fault with it.. rubbing, too heavy etc!! haha..

Am reluctant for gels, but seeing tho water isnt an option for me, its the way I have to go... havent tried anything except the carb drink yet and have done up to 9 miles... started a thread re gels to find out what other people do and its very interesting, people use lots of different things and at different times.. I like the funsize choc bar guy... he wins hands down for me!! Mmm...

Sounds like you coming on fine and panicking for nothing... 6.5miles in the rain..sounds like your mojo is back and thats all good in my book! image

VikW.. thanx for that, Iceland is round the corner will be heading there... and cherry is my fav!! Can tolerate orange tho image

F.L. I will do, once I decide anyway.. have 'designed' at least 6 pairs of running shoes today... various colours.. from girly pink.. to take no prisoners!!

P.s. bought new bikini.. optomistically one size smaller than last one.. new figure and all that.. but hahaha.. its arrived this morning and OMG.. am thinking theyve sent a 4 year olds instead.. no more talk of chocolate please... at this minute dont even think il get one leg in and Ive only got til Tuesday... image

• Options
    Hmmm, just think of a nice, creamy bar of Galaxy...
  • Options

New Avatar FW!

Snickers Bars- FE

• Options

Thanx guys... rice cakes.. Mmm.. am thinking rice cakes... maybe a bitta jam (I do have the perfect solution tho, rice cakes with choc on theyre the best lol)... but NOO CHOC TIL NEXT WEEKEND... hmph.. 10 days of eating healthily... whom I kidding haha.. bet I end up taking the bigger size!! image

Nice pic FW.. image

• Options

Ed, the gink who wrote the book says that on our hard days most of us don't push hard enough but on our easy days we push too hard so don't recover well enough so end up overtraining. And who is to say who can run how fast. I could decide to follow a plan to run a sub 2 hour half and it would give me min/miles to run but i wouldn't be able to do them, so running by HR means you push as hard as you should by what your HR says. So i could do an hours fast run at, say 80% of my max and i would put in just as much effort as en elite doing the same thing although he would have run twice as far probably. But our effort would be the same.

So 145 is your 70% and 168 your 85%. That means that when you do recovery, easy days you have to keep your HR under 145, even if that means walking. And when you are doing a hard day it must be over 168, apart from warming up and cooling down. Although i think intervals will want higher, haven't got to that bit yet. I did a 5 mile under my 70% and i feel fantastic today image 

image And your max HR doesn't change so if you get a higher figure on your HR monitor, then that is your max and you adjust your calculations. He reckons you would get very close to max on a 5k run, or indeed a toughguy one would imagine!

FE i've been told you can yet lucozade sport in powder form which is cheaper, i shall have a look around for some.

Darren, my hero, i am so impressed and excited for you! And funnily enough i am also envious. OK so i'm not in a position to run that far yet but I am really looking forward to starting the training after the 4 parks.

Foxy i'm pleased to hear you are walking again! I'm seriously impressed with the book, i found myself quoting bits at work! imageimageimageimagealert there today!!

Good afternoon Elly, I plan to carry sports drinks (when i get the mileage high enough) with me, in races i'll just grab the water. You can get belts and things to carry bottles in training, otherwise chuckaway bottles i suppose.

I read a handy hint in a marathon book, use safety pins to pin them to your shirt.

I have a nice new bikini for serious swimming. Made by shockabsorber and it is basically a sports running bra and a pair of shorts. Very groovy so i shall be showing off in the endless swimming pool on the cruise in it image

• Options

I really want a Snickers bar now, but am stuck in awaiting a delivery.

Grrr. Julia, you are reading it better than I.  Must sort Garmin out ready for tomorrow. Now I can walk, training for 4parks must start in earnest.

• Options

Evening all

Fairy - You are safe I live about 20 miles from Wolverhampton, In a beutiful hilly part of Shropshire where it is so laid back we are horizontal.

JT - So according to your book on HR when I'm doing a recovery run do I have to walk up the hills, as hills push my HR up.  It really is so undualiting here  it's not easy to run at a controlled HR,  so I just try and get my HR lower up the hills.  Just love it when you get all nurdyimage.

FL - I make those drinks up but I may be getting confused and use them afterwards for a recovery drink. Glad you are felling better.

Back to gels I have only used them if going over 16 miles,  I take water and Jelly babies otherwise.

Thanks for the support you guys,  this is a really friendly thread and I'm really glad that we can all try and help/encourage each other without any bitching.

• Options

Garmin found- hurrah! 9 miler turned into 10 but it was good felt like I could have gone on further which I guess is a good sign!

JT and DC and anyone thinking about the 26.2 I have a new book leant to me from a friend atw ork- all personal stories of peoples first marathons only read the first 5 but they're all very inspiring!

Anyone racing this weekend?