Have a wonderful time LMH image
    Give it all you've got! xxx
  • Options
    Have lots of fun LMH  image  Go girl!!! x
  • Options

Good Luck LMH - Enjoy!

• Options

Thank you!

Very excited today and appetite has returned with a vengance!

Off in about an hour.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    One kilometre swim completed amidst many bodies - it was like swimming in a shoal that didn't know which way it was going today.  Amazing how one pool closure due to a fire can boost numbers to another pool.  image
  • Options
    Shades - I will text you if I get news of LMH on Sat.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

<<waves bye bye to LMH>>  I know she will do us proud

thanks Elspeth, I will be technically overseas as far as mobile phone is concerned, they class IOM as overseasimage, in fact I might actually be at sea at the time and there's no signal in the middle of the Irish Sea but I'll pick it up later on the IOM although coverage is sporadic there too.

Manic day at work and will be more of the same for the rest of the week, will finally move offices on Friday, just what I need when I've got to pack for my hols on Friday night tooimage

Lots to do tonight too...sigh

• Options
    Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭

Sorry, I've not been on here for a while.  Running has gone out of the window as I am far too busy at work, but at least by working as hard and as long as possible, I am not getting as stressed and I'm just about keeping my head above water. 

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Good news Mr Bump, I'm sure you'll clear the backlog soon and get back to some running.
  • Options
    Sparkly Bridget wrote (see)
    JP - how about coming to Florence with me at the end of November.  Apparently it is downhill for 3 miles and then flat image

As nice as that sounds I am not sure Mrs JP would be too happy image.

I am considering the Leicester Marathon in October, anyone done this and able to comment on it.

LMH - thanks, It was a lesson learnt re the carb drinks on the course, next time it will be gels, Nuun tablets and water only OR use my camelback with my own mixed drinks.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

LMH,

I think I would have missed you, however good luck.  Will see if it's on TV.

Mr Bump,

That's good news.

Flossie,

Well done on the swim.

• Options

Hello Shades

I hope I can pick your brains about a wee bit of training.image

I remember you did the 10 in 10 at Windermere in 2008.I ran the ordinary Windermere marathon on your last day.

I entered the 10 in 10 for 2010 and have been succesful in my application.

Could you possibly pass on any training tips,schedules,plans,thoughts,etc,etc, pretty please??image

All the best

Mick

• Options

Ah, the irish charm Shadesimage So that'll be 3 in 3 then image Wish I was coming

Went for a little 3 miler tonight and the legs felt fine! Most surprised, usually after a marathon I can't walk for a week so there must be something in pacing them differently.

• Options

Shades - hope you have a better day tomorrow.  If you wish hard enough, the move could be put back to while you're on holiday.  image

Mr Bump - it's good to hear from you and hope you'll clear backlog soon and get out there for a run.  image

HY4 - hello *waves*.  Hope you had a good day.  image

Mick the Mackem - welcome to the thread *waves*.  Send a 'message member' to Shades, so that she can email plans to you.  image

Mrs Mac - you are awesome, a 3 miler after a double marathon only 3 days ago.  Think it took 7 weeks to get running again after FLM, but then I suppose it was a first marathon and did kind of trash myself.  image

Sharing computer with Flossette, so won't be back on tonight.  Speak tomorrow.  image

• Options

Welcome Mick!

Been dedicated tonight and went for almost 5 mile run before the club committee meeting.  Averaged 10.14 pace with a nice negative split image

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Morning, nice 5 miler for me this morning, humidity has dropped so very pleasant

JP -sorry to hear it was tummy problems with the sports drinks that were supplied

Flossie - can't delay the move, apart from the guys working in the foundry, I'm the only person left apart from my part time colleague who will help me with the move.  We've got no phones, which is great so I have the radio on all day.  
    I don't think Mick wants my training plans he's training for the 10 in 10!

Mick - congrats on your successful entry to the 10 in 10, I don't know your running history but it's determination that will get you through but meanwhile..

don't get injured..(I sprained my ankle badly 8 weeks before)
    run as many marathons as you can before, one a week if possible but don't race hard
    build your weekly mileage up to a decent level, get used to running every day or at least 6 days a week
    ditch the speedwork
    be religious about recovery and refueling
    try and do at least a double (marathon on consecutive days) if you can

• Options

Morning.

No time to read back so I apologise if I've missed anything. 

Plane was delatyed and then I got to watch a baggage handler walk over my bike on the loading ramp - treading on it twice - so it was a slightly stressful journey! Waiting fo rthe mechanic to see if bike is ok. Fingers crossed please.

Warm here - even at 2300hrs last night - bettre for me than cold though. Will check in later if I get the chance. Have a lovely day all. 

• Options

Hi all - quick post to congratulate Mrs M on the lemsip-fuelled double and JP on the Ironman - well done to both, terrific feats of endurance.

And very best wishes to LMH in Prague. Hope the bike is OK.

Glad Flossie and Flossette are better.

Things a bit pearshaped chez sluggie at the moment - I had a lovely biking break in Cornwall, came back and did a terrific LDWA 26-miler in the peaks, and all the while I was walking round Derbyshire my poor old 85-year-old Mum was in hospital with a hip fracture ...my Dad was too confused to ring me so I didn't find out until 24 hours after it happened...anyway, she has had an operation now to repair it and I'm staying with my poor old pa while we wait to see what happens next, hopefully she will be able to come home in a few days but that of course raises all sorts of new issues. Meanwhile sneaking in a few runs as therapy!

• Options

Sparkly - well done on getting 5 miler done last night.  Am really looking forward to getting out with the club again and will do so once an hour's running is achieved, which looks like very soon.  image

Shades - good to get out for 5 miler this morning and have noticed it's not so muggy.  Thinking about a bike/run today and oops, didn't get head round Mick's 10 in 10 request!  image

LMH - fingers crossed the bike's OK, but they are quite strong.  No wonder musical instruments are shipped in hard carbon cases.  Nice surprise to hear from you and have a lovely time.  image

Sluggie - your poor Mum!  Wishing her a speedy recovery and that she can come home soon to be with your Dad.  Enjoy the therapeutic runs.  image

• Options
    Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭

Little Miss - I sincerely hope the bike is ok.  Did you have it in a hard case in the end?  If so - nothing to worry about.  Flossie is right that bikes are strong, but whilst carbon flexes to soak up vibration, it doesn't bend like aluminium.  So, whilst an alloy frame might bend if was put under too much stress, a carbon frame could fracture instead, so I understand.  When checking the bike over, I would look for any hairline white cracks in the frame or forks.

(Worrying about LMH's bike  image)  

• Options

Last night was Ellenborough 10k which i didn't do last year as i was injured with calf/shin problems. Did it in 2007 though in a time of 56:44 which was then a new PB.

This year i was hoping for a PB too but as my current PB is 51:53 and I'd not done any speed work in ages or even some fast runnings since late June things didn't quite go to plan.

Was late arriving which is nothing unusual being it is a local race. Got stuck behind tractors and slow drivers on the way there. Nipped in and got my number then went and saw Mick and Phil as well as Dawn before the start.

Race itself was not to bad. Garmin refuses to connect to the Laptop so i'm going to have to resort to watch splits rather than sporttracks ones for now. Suspect the contacts are to manky to transfer data now although it will still charge via the mains adaptor.

First mile was flat for most of it before we hit the first of two hills which goes on for a mile or so and climbs 200-250 foot roughly. Using the Netherall 10 data here for this one being its the same route at this point. Did it in 7:58 which was fine although probably too fast.

Second mile was mostly all up hill although you hit the flat shortly before the 2 mile marker. This one took 9:23 which isn't too bad going up that hill.

Third mile is mostly flat, well undulating but no big ups or downs and this was covered in 7:52.

• Options

Fourth mile goes down and over a river before going up a short but steep hill the other side. Time for this mile was 8:46 which isn't bad being i walked up the last part of the hill as its easier to walk than run slowly.

Fifth mile has you back onto the main road heading and is a long slightyl downhill stretch all the way back to the finish. THis mile took me 8:21 altohugh i did fall over a cat approaching the main road. It had decided now was a good time to walk over the road.

Sixth mile is the same as the fifth in that its downhill towards the finish. Should be capable of regaining time lost going up the hills along the last two miles realy but i was unable to get below 8 min miling that easily clocking 7:58 for this one despite running hard.

Last little bit has you going along the road a bit before heading back into the Rugby club to the finish. 2:05 for this 0.28 mile section @ 7:35 pace.

Total 6.28 miles in 52:25 @ 8:21 pace by watch although i was a little late stopping it.

Race route on mapmyrun
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-kingdom/maryport/909896105385

Finished the race and was walking down to the drinks whilst waiting for Mick and Phil to finish and i noticed my right hamstring was tight. Alst certainly down to the speed of the run rather than anything else but i'll see tonight when i go fo a run after work.

Mick and Phil finished then it was back to their car so that the wheelchair could be stowed away before i took Phil up into the clubhouse to Dawn whilst Mick went for a shower. Had a buffet on in the clubhouse so i got a drink and some food and stayed for the presentation with Mick, Phil and Dawn. Sat next to the Derwent AC posse too.

• Options

Thanks for the good thoughts. Mechanic has put bike back together and announced that she'll live! Carbon is an issue as it fractures as Mr B says - I have a soft case image

Organization here is shocking - not on the part of Team GB but the organizers (ha,ha). It's also very hot - too hot to walk around comfortably - still, I prefer that to cold. Everyone very friendly - and on very expensive bikes!

Take care all. 

• Options

Afternoon all and thanks for the welcome.image

Shades-Thanks for the advice.My running history is 38 halfs and 10 full marathons.Ive got the GNR coming up and the Spires and Steeples marathon in October,Newcastle Town moor marathon in November.

When should I realistically start the 6 days a week training? Im currently doing 3 days running with about 5 days cycleing to work and home.

• Options
    LMH - Glad the bike seems to be ok. Hope you're enjoying yourself.
  • Options
    Hi Shades - I was on week 9 of your schedule 1 and pulled a calf muscle at 9 miles then walked the other 3 miles home and iced my leg.  I've been icing since and it feels a lot better.  Do you think I could try to get back into my schedule this weekend if the leg feels OK and do you have any advice on how I should build back up?  My marathon's on 4 Oct and I have a half on 6 Sept, all being well.  (The pull was on Monday of this week.)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

LMH - good news that the bike is OK, bad nes about the race organisation but it may all be alright on the day.   I hope you're managing to relax a little now after the stress of the bike walker!

sluggie - so sorry to hear about your Mum, hope she makes a speedy recovery.   I hope you're behaving yourself living with your Dad!

Keith - great time considering not that long since your 24 hour

Mick - I would start building up to the 6 days gradually, increase to 4 days soon and when you're comfortable with that move up to 5 etc.   Build up your mileage gradually, ideally reach and maintain your highest mileage over the winter, don't leave it too late.  then if you have colds/flu or a niggle you will still have that base mileage in the bank and it will be easy to pick up from where you left off without worrying about training time lost.

Parklife - sorry to hear about the calf pull.   Good news that it's starting to feel better already.   don't go straight back into the schedule as there's a danger of the calf going again, when you feel able go out and do an easy 3 miles on the flat and no speedy stuff, then rest for at least one day before going out again and increase the distance of each run gradually until you're sure the calf is OK.   Every day do some gentle calf stretches and some gentle massage, always towards your heart, and you should heal OK.

Manic day at work today but will have to pack up and move offices tomorrowimage

Tonight I must start doing my packing list and the ironingimage

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

LMH,

Good to hear the bike's okay.

Keith,

Well done on the pb.

• Options

Shades - Hull isn't a factor at this point more a case of last mondays 28 mile run across devon image partly why i'd not bothered running since then. The other reason was i was tired as well as busy at work.

HY4 - Wasn't a PB, merely a 4 min course PB. Allowing 2 mins for the hills which is acceptable i'd of been running at my current predicted pace. Not overly bothered as it was a good run and shows what the problem was easily enough. Lack of speed work which will be addressed prior to the next 10k on Aug 30th. Two attempts in two days at a sub 50 as there is another 10k 2 days later.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Just reading back again now I'm feeling more normal after having dinner.

Flossie,

I'm in a bit of a mardy about my hip/back at the mo.  I know that some yoga would sort it out but it's just finding a regular class which I can go to taking into account my wonderful working ours.

Sluggie

(((Your mum)))  Hope she recovers quickly from the op.

Keith,

Well it's still a pb of sorts.

Mick,

Hi & well done on the 10 in 10 entry.