Options

Over 60s training.

Comments

• Options

Tracey, I did know it was 20 miles, just hit the wrong key!

MickC and ceal, OH went to a Technical College too, but he now deals with French suppliers, so speaks French well (though I sometimes cringe at his grammar) and knows lots of technical terms that I don't. I can cope with the subjunctive ok though! He too always wants to know how things work, and is very practical. Structural engineer by original training, but very hands on with everything from woodwork to plumbing, propeller balancing - you name it!

ceal, I sometimes get quite warm arms, so was keen to have a short-sleeved merino. I also own a vest/sleeveless top, and have used it both as an extra layer and on its own. It's pretty comfortable for warm weather too, but I don't wear it so often then.

Columba, you can't always get faster with every run! You're obviously improving, but can't run at your best every single time.

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

MickC
    no target time as yet for 10k. A lot of training to be put under my legs first! Pleased to hear you are feeling better.

Tracey
    I remember it being important to like a teacher to do well at the subject. What a shame after all the work she has already put in, not to mention the money you have put in.

• Options

.also have Diana's vision of Ceal standing naked on her doorstepimage!!

Dian
    lack of mud underfoot is always a good thing for running - though you may be reunited with it at Glastonbury!!

Mick6
    pleased you are feeling better and productively employed.
    I am assembling a tractor and trailer for my grandson so all my engineering skills and languages are being put to the test - the instructions are in German
    I still have in the garage some of the furniture I made when I first got married - tall white laminate faced cupboards, drinks cabinets and bookcases - achingly trendy at the time

Both Ceal and I have very similar HR ranges which always makes it easy for us to compare and contrast. This am's run was the first for a long time when all miles started with an 8 for me - just!!
    My Hr range is 42 and 176, the latter is until I do another maxHR test image

Columba
    30 seconds in 45 minutes is1.11% variance so it's not too badimage. I do statistics as well.......
    Welsh lamb is added to the menuimage

• Options
    ......................or even 1.085% variance of 46:05image
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

I was 'half naked' on the back door step!!!

Diana
    I like the idea of a training vest in marino wool, for races that is.

• Options
    ceal, I did spot that the company you sent me the link to had vests as well....
  • Options
    Ceal - Kierrah says she will probably do french as she like that teacher better than the German one.
  • Options
    Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭

GOOD EVENING ALL---Went to work in dark and rain and come home in dark and rain but i am happy

Empty--Two excellent runs and as you say a confidence booster

IMPEY--Good run and nothing has changed on tube we still dont smile so dont look happy once you see me you will crease up

T/S---Still a decent run espcially as you are not firing on all cylinders so to speak

AWS--Like summing up of new normal good run

APOLOGIES for not mentioning everyone but i am hungry sorry

ray

• Options
    Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭

SCANNED THREAD A BIT MORE NOW---SHARKIE--i used to live in tottenham me and wife was quite frequent shopppers to ridley road market yes so much choice of fruit and veg as well as fish happy days local market here in enfield just does not compare

COLUMBA--Nice comment but there are lotsand lots of faster 60 year olds and older than i am just scan races and its amazing the times these guys run

CEAL---Nice stamina builder/ disappointed spurs could only draw but we were lucky to get that

ray

• Options

Ceal,

Good news.  We liked the look of the Golders Green guesthouse which was top of your link.
    And, thank you very much, have made a booking for 3 nights(TS's suggestion too)  there.  Just awaiting confirmation via e-mail now. Decision made for 3 nights instead of 2, so that way we shall have a full day to see as much as we can.  Did you stay there at all?

Busbar/Colomba,

If we use tube then,  I'll try not to break out into a broad grinimage.  

Diana/Empty,

I didn't realise you both had several London mara rejections too.  It must feel that it's easier to win on the National Lottery !

For the 3rd time in a row I ran a 5 miler, same route, with use of the hrm.  It behaved itself too, no erroneous naughty spikes. Slightly faster, very slightly!
    10.24....Avhr 116..Max 129
    10.11.............130......... 133
    10.22.............130......... 136 (Light undulations)
      9.58............. 130........ 133

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

TS,
    we have the same base of 41 so I guess I can expect to be up 10 bpm for the same effort, which seems about right.

An easy 11k in the rain today

Total Time =  58 mins 58 secs, Total Distance = 11.00 kms or 6.84 miles
     Avg pace =   05:21  per km   or   08:37  per ml,  Avg WHR =   68.9%

SPLIT     %WHR
      -----------------------
             RUN 1                   RUN 2                  RUN 3                
        5:30        55.7%    *****         ******      *****         ******  
        5:14        62.4%    *****         ******      *****         ******  
        5:15        67.1%    *****         ******      *****         ******  
        5:16        69.8%    *****         ******      *****         ******  
        5:27        69.1%    *****         ******      *****         ******  
        5:23        71.8%    *****         ******      *****         ******  
        5:15        73.2%    *****         ******      *****         ******  
        5:19        70.5%    *****         ******      *****         ******  
        5:16        72.5%    *****         ******      *****         ******  
        5:27        73.2%    *****         ******      *****         ******  
        5:31        72.5%    *****         ******      *****         ******   

• Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭

Morning.

Busy catching up with everyone's views on vegan/veggie issues. For me the main reasons are:

1. Avoiding cruelty to other species
    2. Sustainability (as explained by Diana)
    3. Health

I'm only a dietary vegan at present, and quite enjoy preparing meat for others as long as I don't have to eat it. Seth likes cooking and has nearly always dealt with his own meat and eggs anyway, though he's more squeamish than me about the details (offal, cheese that "smells of the animal" etc.)

I do check labels to ensure I don't buy, for instance, washing-up liquid containing lactic acid, as spotted recently on an organic brand.

Generally, I've always avoided animal products anyway. Don't like leather much, and I've never worn wool because it makes me itch, though I see no reason why people shouldn't wear it. I may have a silk scarf or two tucked away somewhere... 

• Options

Morning all

There are moves afoot to improve the standard of running at my club, become more comptitive, etc (only for those who wish it). I've contacted the powers that be to express my wish to improve my running and had a very positive response. It has been suggested that I run with the next group, using regroups as recovery and with other sections as tempo-type training.  This presupposes that I can run fast enough in the first place to get to the regroups point, etc.  The group leader hasn't said no, either (but he wouldn't).

My problem, really, is that for the first couple of miles I need much slower than they do so all of the run will be flat out. Has anyone got any idea how I can reduce the warm-up time so that I'm not gasping for breath for the first 20 minutes? Or longer.  image

• Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭

Running...

On Sunday I cycled to the canal and ran along five locks and two bridges, back two bridges and five locks. A 6.3k run and 28k on the bike.

Running total for the week: 41.3k (25.7 miles).

Sharkie
    Lovely to catch up with your track "family". Jean is amazing, isn't she? But then so she should be with those long slim legs!

Did I mention that I'm planning to join a running club, though it will be a bit of a trek to get there. The nearest one (40 mins' drive away) is called "Gien Marathon" and I just don't fancy having that word across my chest, and then I find their bright blue and yellow kit a bit too "in yer face". Someone tell me it isn't about fashion! So maybe it'll be one of the two Montargis clubs.

Have you tried a different/smaller breakfast on track days?

Thanks for the book recommendations. Where does Vraps hang out these days? I haven't seen her lately, though it's true I don't get out much, forum-wise.

• Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭

Hi K2. I think I'll have the same problem at a club. I guess we'll just have to do a slow warmup on our own before joining the group.

Off for a longish run before I develop Seth's cold.

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

Just a quick nip in to confirm what Chouette has said to K2.

When I trained with Julian G I always got there earlier than I was meant to and did 20 mins slow running on my own. Sometimes only 10 mins was ok. It worked a treat. I was then ready for their warmup before running much faster.  

• Options

Good morning

5.09M; 1:00:39; 11:54/M; hr146 m161
    11:47 144 151
    11:29 152 156 so far so good
    12:12 148 156 that didn't last long
    11:55 147 161 had to hammer this at the end to get under 12
    12:05 140 161 HR looks like a lazy one; 161 is a hangover from end of previous mile

The idea was for an easy run just  keeping under 12. I overdid it on the first two miles and lost it on the rest.

Exit the new normal.

al

• Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭

It'll be back, aws.

I did the same run as last Tuesday, a flattish 14k route, a bit more slowly. Splits dead even, although I tried to speed up on the way back. Average pace: 6:16m/k.
    Average HR for the whole run: 168, which is the lower end of Zone 1. Ks 5-14 were well into Z1 and ks 7-14 had spikes into Z2.

Guess all any of that shows is that I'm definitely sickening for something.

• Options
    PussyPussy ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Trying to catch up with you all bit by bit!

JJ- Lidls gear is good. I am a running advertisement for it!

Tracey - sorry about your VLM rejection. When you do get to run it make sure you run a Good for Age time then you can have guaranteed places, even if you don't want to run it ever again!

Ceal - agree about the bizarre race walking. They all look as if they are hurrying to the loo. The significance of my 10k finish is that I have now completed the required 8 races of a 15 race Grand Prix series and qualify for a position. It is not earth shattering - it was just a little goal that I set myself. How else can we keep up our running unless we set ourselves goals?

TS - good prom for UK lambimage Virtually all our UK lamb is raised naturally. Sheep remain a cinderella industry within farming and are used where land cannot be cropped or are integrated with other enterprises where they can clean up `waste' or improve fertility. They don't suit high tech factory systems.

No lasting physical damage after my run. But severe damage to my ego, having to let slower runners beat me! But I am not complaining.

Back to club running next week (with a slower group for starters) and then do whatever races are on the local calendar. I try to do one race a month to give myself goals - anything from 4M to Marathon distance. Not very structured training, I am afraid. MT and TS will despair

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Morning

So much to catch up with again.

Impey - I break into smiles on the tube but i like being awkward. Do get some back but guess these are from the foreign tourists.

Diana - I take it it was a good challenging run but can't seem to find your report

Empty - Great you'll be at VLM

Mum is what they say on a list they need to put together a small care package for her. Finished early last night got home at midnight as needed to be up for a gas board visit between 8-12 he came at 9 so not a wasted day still tired but a full night tonight still only 2 nights more before a break.

So a little run later not sure what i'll have time for tomorrow

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

Pammie
    listen to an oldie, we will all give you the same advice. It is very important that you find time for yourself. Very important. So when your Mum is home and a routine is established please make sure you have time in that routine for your running or whatever else you want to do. xxx

Impey
    No never stayed there, know nothing about it! But pleased to have been of service and hope it will be ok. I am sure it will. It certainly looks alright.

Rain again for me but no splashes today. Took a different route. Felt tired, so didn't want to be too far from home in case I had had enough. The off road hills still in my legs, no stiffness, just tired legs.

Warm up .8 mile then 50.06 mins, 5.62 miles, av pace 8.54 mm, av HR 127, MHR 140

9.11 mins, av HR 117
    9.19 mins, av HR 125
    8.56 mins, av HR 128
    8.39 mins, av HR 130  
    8.35 mins, av HR 133
    .62 mile av pace 8.39mm, av HR 134, MHR 140

I had a large white fluffy towel waiting for me to help me get rid of wet running gear!

• Options

Morning all,

Chouette,

Not a vegan myself but don't like to eat a lot of red meat,  certainly try to avoid pork.  One of my uncles used to breed pigs and so he gorged on pork often.  He didn't get beyond his fifties.

K2,

When I'm running on club nights,  I find a half mile warmup run from the house to clubhouse is enough for keeping up with club colleagues.  As for a race,  add a few strides as well.  I've tried other ways but it makes no difference in my case as an old bloke !    In short, a warmup to get muscles working suffices.

Pammie,

I know I will still smile on the tube, all the more when I see surly looking faces image

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

Chouette
    I am with you on the colours of a club vest. There is a club near to here that I thought of joining BUT not the colours for me!

MikeC
    you seemed to run yesterday very steadily after a few days of being  not well.

• Options
    I understand the bit about club colours and sympathise. Although not really a club person myself I have actually thought more than once about joining a running club. The nearest one to me has orange running vests and that's not on, another that many of the Crook Log runners belong to has green which I find much more attractive, but they call themselves JOGGERS, so that puts paid to that. Others I've looked at are either too far away, which I can't see the point of, or are too expensive, which speaks for itself. So I remain independent and that has the advantage of not having anyone to argue with.image
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

Ceal - You are right of course and so is JJ. Point taken will endeavour to do so

Chouette - Vrap hangs round on fetch nowdays are you a fetchie you can join if not or i can send her a message if you like

Before i joined my club i never really thought about colours but glad my club has red in it tis my fav colour and if its good enough for Liverpool/Arsenal/Man utd then its good enough for me

Did 5km route yesterday and today, both in drizzly conditions first mile today was a bit slower overall 30 secs slower today for a good run. Starting to get a bit easier

I know i'm sad but calculated 29 weeks incl this week till VLM so guess around 11 weeks building up before 18 weeks or so marathon training

• Options

Pammie Be nice to Pammie! Don't forget yourself missis. xxxx And congrats on getting into VLM. You'll storm it this time! Let's make sure you do.

Chouette Yeah Pammie's right - Vrap is VERY active on Fetch - a witty and well written blog almost every day, still a GP,  still 3 or 4 kids at home, ultra and mara running by the bucketful... don't know how she does it! Nearly forgot the home cooking and baking and the skiing, climbing and cycling...

PS And such a tiny person - not unlike yourself!