Options

Over 60s training.

Comments

• Options

Sharkie and Ceal - Thank you for your kind remarks; very cheering and much appreciated.

Ceal - Iris scanner? One of those things that recognises you from the unique pattern of your eyes, like a fingerprint? I didn't know they were using them, thought it was just a speculative possibility.

Aws - can you put it down as Just One of Those Days?

TS - Nice shopping. And lovely pix. That solitary tree (must be an oak?) is a real beaut.

I've never seen an otter in the wild either, though I know they are seen around here. I've seen hares on more than one occasion.

Tracey - well done on the xC. Will you be giving us a blow-by-blow account; and will you get an official time? I ought to try xC (especially after reading Sharkie's reference) because there's plenty of country round here to run across; but will need to get some suitable shoes first.

Decided to ignore the purple toenail; although it hurts with any pressure on it, it doesn't hurt when I'm running and my running shoes don't put pressure on it. Accordingly went out into the sunshine and cold wind, ran from home into town and out the other side; - had intended to run for 45 minutes, then turn round and run back and hope for a negative split; but at 43 minutes had reached the place where the footpath beside the road gives out, and as the road is the main trunk road running N-S though mid-Wales, and carries a lot of traffic going legally at 60mph and illegally at considerably faster speeds, I wasn't going to run on the road. 43-and-a-bit minutes made the mental arithmetic that much harder, but coped and did manage a negative split but only by 2 minutes.

Then went to visit mother in hospital, and in the evening went to a performance of Handel's Messiah; local amateur (but very good) choir, ditto orchestra, professional soloists. Really really good and thoroughly enjoyed it.

(That's why I'm posting so late).     

• Options
    Aws - forgot to congratulate you on your place in the VLM!
  • Options

Good morning

I posted last night then lost it. In many senses.

Busbar
    If you know Pete Deadman and Don Ford from Orion say hello from me. I know them from Cape Wrath.

TS
    One of the gifts of running. You were so lucky to see the deer and the otter on your run.
    Beautiful photos.

ceal
    getting back into the groove.

aws
    Congratulations on the VLM place.

Tracey
    Glad you enjoyed the XC.

sharkie
    You physio is the good fairy! Sharkerella, you shall stop running long distances.

• Options

Columba
    Hallelujah! I just fancy a good sing. There seems to be a choir based at our surgery. My GP is in an a cappella group called Naked Voices so I suspect she's involved somehow. I've just found out they've disbanded so here's some muci for you:

Babooshka
    Chinese Cafe

My doc sings the second verse and I inspired her to start running! Cool.

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

Good Morning,

K2/Columba
    I am listening to babooshka as I type. I am enjoying it very much indeed. Chinese Cafe to follow afterwards. there was a lot of coverage in the week on the Messiah. I have a great desire to sing it again. At my school we sang it every yer for my 5 or 6 years that I was in school. I adored singing it. It is so uplifting. Next year perhaps, I am not content just to listen to it. I think running must make our bodies very ready for singing. Good breath control and expanded lungs must help. But not with my tight throat which needs opening up.

sharkie
    that is very good news indeed. A very useful visit to your Physio. Do most dancers have an anterior tilt to their  pelvis?

Columbo
    I guess the purple toe-nail may have been acquired when running down hill.  

Tracey
    Well done on your first x-country. the time taken is irrelevant because each course is different. Also the conditions differ to each race. You enjoyed it and that is the main thing.

TS
    thanks for the photo's of the Lakes. The mist makes the photo's magical.

We had/have the g-children staying, parents went to a black tie do last night. My daughter looked fab in red satin, with to die for shoes in the same red with very high heels with a couple of red bows at the heel.  

Hence no running today. We are also going to a drinks party at lunch time, not that I drink much these days if at all.

K2
    I am listening Babooshka for the 2nd time, it is a very pleasing rendering of the music.

• Options
    EmptyEmpty ✭✭✭

Morning all

K2 what a shame it was their farewell concert they were great, for someone who can never find the right note even with music it's amazing to be able to do it without any !!

aws congrats on the VLM place, that's three of us now isn't ?

Finally made to first swim session

750m (30 lengths) in 25 mins, 250m legs only (backcrawl) the rest a mixture of front and back crawl.

It was a bit like the start of race where you have pens for different target times and people ignore them because we had 3 wide lanes- fast, medium and slow - and guess what people ignored those as well. I went in the medium group. Had a little chuckle to myself a guy in the fast lane went past me when I was doing legs only and at the end of the length looked across and gave one of those knowing looks - hey I'm better than you - and head down off he went. Urm, ok haven't trained properly for 34 years but couldn't have that so, yep you've got it, flipped into full back crawl and beat him to the end by about 2m - I was very good I didn't look and smurk ...................................................................................... much image

Once a boy racer always a boy racer - isn't that right TS image

Mike T

• Options

ceal
    Your daughter's outfit sound fantastic!

ceal. Mike
    The choreography was good as well. I went ot one of their concerts and "Whip Crack Away" from Annie Get your Gun was set up to look like a stagecoach.

Three for VLM? MT, aws............ Tracey?
    Sorry........ I've been a bit out of it.

Struggling to get nyself out of the door today.

Mike
    image You show him..

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

Empty
    Great, love it!!!! Especially the name "boy racer"image

aws
    apologies I fogot to say Congrats on your FLM place. I will sponsor you for sure.

Did anybody watch Channel 4 earlier this morning, it covered the Great North Swim. Sonia Sullivan took up Open Water Swimming in June of this year.  It seems she is a good swimmer as well as a runner!

I think it is the International Cross country Champs today sometime, I must look on Tele menu.

• Options

g' day

Empty
    a triathalon beckons??
    Boy racer -  whatever do you meanimage!!
    It's strange that just when one thinks all that competitive instinct has died away something comes along to disprove it!!

Columba
    so let me see - you got to your turn marker 2 minutes head of schedule and then took only 2 minutes off the return time??
    Must try harder next timeimage

Just watched the Womens Under 23 xcountry race - good performances by Jessica Sparke in third and Browning and Rowling in the first six - excellent team effort. Disappointing to see Twell trail off so badly and B Forster made some comment about her coach no longer being recognised by UK athletics causing training disruption - sounds like the beaurocrats are winning again!

Thanks folks for comments on photos  - the Lakes in low angle winter sunlight are a magical place and look so different to other times of year. I think my favourite was the sunklen jetty  -  a sign of just how high the water levels had become - there was a sunken boat nearby which must have got swamped at its moorings

• Options

Tracey
    re muddy shoes - the best way is to get the mud off immediately the run is over - a muddy puddle is ideal. Just stand in it for a couple of minutes and then find some nice long, wet grass for a final wipe over .
    I am lucky in having a fast running stream on the other side of the road to my house so when I occasionally end up with mud on my shoes I just stand in there!!!! Do get some strange looks from passersby

aws
    paint away - no copyright laws will be infringedimage
    Good news about your VLM - you have a good base already for training build up - if you need any advice you know where I am!
    I had the feeling that looking back swiftly over the week that a number of your runs featured avHRs well above your norm but I may have been mistaken - and work beckons now as I am off to London town tomorrow for meetings .............................

• Options
    I had the idea that K2 was lurking......................
  • Options
    Now why should you think that?
  • Options

I was about to post my run but then someone mentioned XC so I went to watch. Great race by Hayley Yelling.

Run done.
    An effort to get out. 7.16 miles done at average 12 m/m which includes a log walk when I had somethig in my eye, dodging dogs in the park, etc. 5 miles was the aim, 8 miles would have been icing on the cake so it rates as a sort of double choc chipcookie.

• Options

K2, - Was that a long walk or a walk on logs?

Must be something about GPs and local music groups; one of our GPs was playing a violin in the orchestra, another one (they are a husband-and-wife team) in the choir, their teenage son was on the timpani and another family member - to judge by the surname - was also in the choir.

I got your second music link (Chinese cafe) but the first one would only run for just over a minute and then stopped dead.

Had a quiet and restful day today. Just pottered around the garden a bit and disbanded the hanging baskets which are full of mainly dead plants.

• Options

TS - as I said, the arithmetic's a bit complicated, at least it seemed to be when doing it in my head while running. As I don't know exact distances I do everything in terms of time. So set off, with the intention of going for 45 minutes and then turning round and doing the exact same route back home. Did 10 minutes slow, made a mental note of exactly where I was (call it point A), speeded up a bit, arrived at the end of the town with my watch saying 43 minutes instead of 45 (i.e., 43 minutes since the start, which meant 33 since Point A), turned and ran back making an effort to go faster at least in bursts, reached Point A with my watch saying 1 hour 14 minutes, slowed down and jogged the last 10 minutes home.

Bet you wished you hadn't asked.   

• Options

Columba
    A walk! image

Remind me to tell you sometime abot the marathon I did in Majorca. Distance markers were all in Kms, my Garmin was still set to miles. It took me most of the distance to work out how far I'd gone!

• Options

K2 - not doing VLM unless I get a club ballot places again which not much chance of.

TS - No puddle near the finish yesterday. I changed in to dry clean shoes and then got them muddy walking back to the car.

• Options

Evening

Hello all apologies for absence work really Thursday and Friday night (well really Friday + Saturday morning) we stayed to 6am. There was a visit by one of the BIG chief execs on Saturday. All went well apparently we had to get the store as tidy as poss. We did get a thank you for a good job from the store manager.

Finished 3am this morning slept to 1:30 this afternoon. Not run today somehow i have picked up a verruca on left foot killed me Friday night hard floor and work shoes don't mix wore trainers last night once the shop was closed. its more annoying than anything else Will try to run tomorrow

Tracey well done on the XC i was hoping to do some more this year but somehow runs this year haven't managed, will need to buy the appropriate shoes our club do the 2 different leagues Essex is quite a tough one as the faster runners from the bigger clubs do attend. Glad you want tothere  do more hope i'll see you at one. One day. Muddy shoes can you make a puddle in your back garden i use sometimes one of those big trays you know the type for planting seedlings. As for muddy shoes i usually bring a spare pair and a carrier bag and swap them over, you could also then find a wall or a tree to bash the bag with the muddy shoes in to knock excess mud off

aws - well done on VLM hope to see you there

Sharkie - hope the leg is better sorry i missed it the other day did read your report but it was through zombie's eyes. 

I'm sure there are other stuff can't remember sorry

I am now listening to this webcast on Lets Run listen to it when you have the time it is over an hour long i guess currently its 55 minutes through and not finished yet. John Kellogg is being interviewed more geared towards middle/long distance lots of good information a lot of points where you nod your head in agreement stuff you've heard before you know it makes sense

Here it is  you need to scroll down a bit you should see on the left a webcast box

• Options

Finally got back on to post! I strated reading a few days ago, then had to go off and do something, came back and read a bit more and today I'v e finally caught up!

Graham, I also did PLAN programming for ICL in the distant past. JJ, do you remeber the card hand-punches?

Mick6 - OH also has a desktop. I have a laptop provided by work, as I travel to different offices.

Pammie, well done on your conditioning regime.

Congratulations to Ray & Bullfinch on the Grim. May try it one year, not sure.

TS, beatiful photos, and a delicious sounding meal.

MT, glad to hear that you have been able to start running again.

ceal, is the Matthew Bourne Swan Lake the one with all male dancers? Lauryn & I went to see that, and did enjoy it, but decided that male dancers have less practice at dancing as a coprs de ballet, and therefore aren't so well synchronised.

sharkie, I ahve certainly not done buroees where you extend the legs so far behind. Like Pammie, have done the ones with a squar thrust, which is bad enough. Glad that you are not badly injured, and have a plan!

Thanks for the article, K2 - lovely visions of Mick with all the ladies in his class.

Healing vibes to JJ.

Great news on VLM, aws!

Well done on the x-country Tracey.

• Options

Also meant to say how well the training is going Columba, and glad your mum will soon be back home.

Glad you're back out, Impey.

Hello to anyone else I've missed.

Had a lovely time in Tenerife, and managed to run 5 or 6 times, though pretty low mileage. We did a lot of walking too, so weren't entirely idle. We were very lucky with the weather, and had a lovely apartment.

Got back on Tuesday evening, and went out with the club for a short all-purpose run on Wednesday - 4.65 miles at 10:25 pace. Did the forest run with headtorch on Friday - 7.24 miles at average 9:44 pace.

Today I struggled out of bed after a dinner and wine with friends last night to run the inter-club x-coutry. It was cold and very muddy. I managed to fall over in the mud at one point, so got even muddier. When I got home, I had to stand in a washing up bowl of warm water to get enough mud off my shoes to undo the laces! overall 4.79 miles of undulating and wet forest in a relatively slow 47:07 minutes - 9:50 pace.
    Split Summary
    ====
    1)  - 0.62m - 5:38(9:06/m) - 65cal
    2)  - 0.62m - 5:22(8:39/m) - 66cal
    3)  - 0.62m - 6:12(10:00/m) - 49cal
    4)  - 0.62m - 6:25(10:21/m) - 66cal
    5)  - 0.62m - 6:12(10:00/m) - 80cal
    6)  - 0.62m - 5:58(9:37/m) - 77cal
    7)  - 0.62m - 7:00(11:18/m) - 53cal - up the last hill
    8)  - 0.44m - 4:20(9:51/m) - 44cal

No HR data as I need a new battery for my monitor. You can probably spot where the worst hills and mud was!

• Options

Hello again

Diana - Great to see you back here. Bit of a change in the weather for you

Heres an article which is an outline to the previous link i made

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

Pammie
    thanks for the links, I have put them into favourites so i can listen another time. Bad luck on your verruca.

Diana
    pleased you had  a good holiday and received some warmth whilst you were there. The mud must have been a bit of a shock to the system on your return!!! I have digested your remarks about the ballet and male group dancers. Did you see it at Sadlers Wells?

Now it is Sports Personality of the Year this evening. I am in a dilemma. I was going to vote for Jessica Ennis, Stewart was too. BUT we saw Jenson Button on Jonathan Ross show on Friday pm and I was so impressed by him I am rather ashamed to say I think I am going to vote for him. He is very good looking, (I am a sucker for good looks)! He came over as a very personable young man, with humour and humility. He is in training for a Triathlon next year. Oh dear why do I feel so guilty.

• Options
    Pannie - our clubs run in the same leagues. Unfortunately the only one I could do that fitted in with the family was the Essex one. Yes I was almost last.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Tracey
    X-country is Pam's best event.
  • Options

ceal YOU TRAITOR! image

Worse -
    you SHALLOW traitor!

I will be voting for Jess.

But fear all the petrol heads will vote for Button anyway and he'll walk it. Or should that be drive it? He's odds on favourite anyway. Sigh.

• Options

Welcome back DIANA. We've missed you. Glad you had a lovely holiday.

Me, today
    What: abandoned track session
    Why: Drills felt a bit iffy and strides weren't working at all, so decided to bin it.

I'm dead sensible me. Except I'm not because oh yeah I HAVE overdone it. Most of my body was objecting to activity this morning and for once I took heed of the stupid old thing. My creaking and complaining body that is. Alright already I'm listening. No need to shout.

I'm now pretty sure that the injury of sorts is ischiogluteal bursitis - there's a glorious moniker.

An omnipresent dull ache at glute/hammies I had just put down to worked muscle. When I mentioned it (pre injury) phys had suggested a possibility of irritated bursa. We ruled out hamstring tear, but it seems very likely the bursa is now inflamed rather than just a bit cross.

But hey ho it's not serious. I'm pissed off because it was going so well. Too well obviously! But I'm learning stuff all the time and the general prognosis is pretty good. So I'm not downhearted.

• Options
    Ceal  - it is going to be cold in Hyde Park on Friday. Don't forget your gloves.
  • Options

My first XC in Epping Forest.

6.5k  in 46:35.

• Options
    EmptyEmpty ✭✭✭

Diana, wherabouts in Tenerife did you stay ? Glad to have you back, the Joggers also has a XC event today but this is one series I don't do.

Miss Sensible Sharkie, well there's another moniker and not one she often admits to image. Glad you feel that that it is "only" a bursitis and with a bit of rest you'll soon be back.

Ceal, I think Jenson did the London Tri this year and from memory did a really impressive time so I think that mitigates your change of vote.

Mike T