Options

Hanley Building Society Potters Arf Marathon

Comments

• Options
    i wasn't expecting it to be that steep imageimage
  • Options
    I raced this last year so was kind of expecting it, but it still caught me out. It cost me alot of time lol
  • Options
    i powerwalked it and was passing people running image
  • Options
    i wasnt either! i got up the a road hill and thought o that wasnt too bad - then i saw the real hill!! i enjoyed the race though great support. i was 2.09 so must have been with you at some point angie! well done all image
  • Options

Lol image, to be fair I think I could have walked up it quicker

• Options

must of been side by side image

only thing that bugged me was the de-chip  and prize area was way too small last thing you need after a race is to be queing for t-shirts and medals legs were starting to tighten up then i nearly missed my medal had to go back and get one

but everything else was great

• Options
    we finished on 2:30
  • Options
    yeah i agree bot end of race i wondered if people would end up queuing back to the finish line! glad it all went well for you image
  • Options
    micknphil-marathonlads.com wrote (see)
    we finished on 2:30

well done 

hope to see you both again soon xx

• Options

Well done to everyone!!!

I bow down graciously to all your words of wisdom - previous days comments  I said I wouldn't make it back till sunset, this is my first every run and I DID IT!!! 2hrs 49 mins!!! woohooo!!!image Not saying and enjoyed it all but the support was great. My legs are like jelly but just maybe I'l back next year!!image Well done to everyone!

• Options

well done first one out the way the only way is up now image

• Options
    Thanks Angie, was just looking at the Meerbrook 15k maybe by the 8th August I'l be able to walk again!!  that Milton Rd was a killer thought i was going backwards at one point it took that long to get up!!! imageWell done to you too
  • Options
    pottermisspottermiss ✭✭✭

Agreed, well done to everyone!!

My first time and finished 2hrs 32mins. Support was great, really had a good time!

The only down side was going by those having ambulance treatment, especially on Milton Road, I really hope they were ok and recover quickly.

Back next year? definately! And apologies to the Potters Trotters ladies who thought I was wearing their club vest, I bought it fair and square, really!

Well done again

Fi

• Options
    Amanda P. wrote (see)
    Thanks Angie, was just looking at the Meerbrook 15k maybe by the 8th August I'l be able to walk again!!  that Milton Rd was a killer thought i was going backwards at one point it took that long to get up!!! imageWell done to you too

i say go for it

i have loads of other races booked this year, it keeps me focused with my running and weight loss

i started running in june 2008 and have pushed myself hard to keep going

18 halfs, 17 10k's, 3 10 milers and 1 full

if you are on facebook add me im the one with the bra tattoo as my pic 

• Options

What a race, first time doing this race and what a great atmosphere never seen people giving out ice pops at a run before and those hose pipes certainly came in handy when the sun made an appearance.

Finished in 2:07, bit gutted as was on for a PB until Milton Road wiped me out, made the mistake of thinking the hills at 10 miles near Aldi was the infamous Milton Road!

Agree with the comments about the finish line, legs were already like jelly and standing around didn't help.

Just need to find another half to do now...

• Options
    Gold PigGold Pig ✭✭✭

Well done all of you today, that was a tough run.

I too thought the hill at 10.5m was the last one only to be told we had the toughest one left, that was disheartening. Angie you powerwalked up there, i just had enough energy to walk up.
    I thought there were quite a few hills today and the one at around 4,5m was no push over. According to my garmin, finished in a time of 2hr & 3 secs image 

Agree that the finish area was a little confusing as there were also relay runners on the course and once i crossed the line i was asked if i was a walker (cheeky sod, just ran my plums off for 2hrs image) then she gave me a round bronze medal.
    Then when i picked up my t-shirt i was given a bronze square medal, both saying "Potters Arf", whats that all about.

Great support today from the people of stoke and for that reason will come back next year.  

• Options

Yes bloody tough if you ask me

and we've run it before image

• Options
    ValleyValley ✭✭✭

What a fantastic race, the support all the way round was superb.

I was determined to run up Milton Road but couldn't manage it and at that point I knew I had about 11 minutes left to get the silver so I was just hoping that hill wouldn't cost me.

Crossed the line in1hr 43 though and I felt quite emotional with achieving my goal and I had the biggest smile on my face, what a great feeling image

Well done to everybody

• Options

Good one today folks-great organisation and fantastic support-well done Stoke. Got a silver but don't know a time yet as I forgot to look at clock-still had oxygen starvation to brain from ascending those hillsimage. Anyone know when results are out?

Don't you just know those legs are going to hurt tomorrow??!!

Mick n Phil, another good day out for you obviously. Not spoken to you in a while-hope all is well.

Brer Rabbit

• Options
    ValleyValley ✭✭✭

Results are out here

Really want to see my finish line photo, anybody know who the photographer was? Mick Hall possibly?

• Options

Photos will be here

Bryan Dale and Mick Hall

• Options

Fantastic race, really pleased i took part in it and as of now it is a MUST for me to do every year from now on!

That last hill (milton ?) stopped me from finishing in under two hours...........finished 2hrs02min32sec.

I loved the finish, really nice finishing in the town centre, its not the widest finish so the people are really close, i thought the whole event is/was fantastic!

( i too would like to see photos, any one no where to look )

• Options
    Hey good one Valley, came 4th in age group-happy with thatimage
  • Options
    ValleyValley ✭✭✭

I was surprised there were no mile markers, no problems when you've got a Garmin but I'd find it tough not knowing how far in I was.

Suppose the problem with a city route is they'd get nicked image

• Options
    And here I was thinking I was concentrating that much I didn't notice them!
  • Options
    pottermisspottermiss ✭✭✭

I did spot mile markers (from 9 onwards), high up fixed to lamposts. image

Fi

• Options

We had a most super day

we are glad all of u had fun and enjoyed it, and hope you all achieved your personal goals

for us it was simply another HM

i was very saddened by the 3 or 4 people i saw needing first aid- one at 11 ? miles on the hill looked real serious

we wish them well

• Options
    There were mile markets throughout (on a lamp post)
  • Options

Well done folks. if this was your first half-marathon, you probably choose the toughest one around...as tough as some marathons! I have been lucky enough to have done 30 courses & this had about twice the hills of the Swindon one (next toughest). Finished on 2hrs, 5 mins & 50 secs (around 15 mins slower than normal). Wasn't it fantastic thoughimage These have to be the most generous sweety, ice pop & garden hose shower giving spectators in the country. it's the Freckleton Half (near Blackpool) next weekend if anyone else is going

• Options

today was great fun

Ashbourne HM ( 4 times ) a few miles away is tough, Great Langdale HM ( 4 times ) is the road race from hell which is sapping, i wonder how many of todays runners would survive Great Langdale, and it's all rural and lonley