Options

Great North Run 2010

Comments

• Options

What a fab weekend of athletics!  Went down to the city games and ran the fastest mile of my life with my son in the Mini North Run!!  Then watched the real ahtletes show us how its done.

Today was fantastic, my best ever GNR...finished in 1.43 (course PB for me).  Felt strong all the way round and somehow that final hill before the finish seemed smaller than last year!!  Obviously, I was delirious at the time...

I have to echo the gripes about the loos - they were REALLY bad this year.  If they have to make savings, please don't scrimp on one of our basic needs!!!

Back next year...defo!

• Options

tired after today but have enjoyed reading other people's posts so thought I'd add a few thoughts before hitting my bed!

first GNR for me, absolutely loved it. I thought the atmosphere was great and the support fantastic, so much better than the Manchester 10k which I did earlier this year and I'd  heard so much about. I love races like this with such encouraging and enthusiastic local support.

like many others on here had to spend a lot of time ducking and weaving to get past slowcoaches, really don't see why people feel the need to understate their times to get themselves nearer the front to then get in the way of everyone after the first mile or so. personally I hate being passed so I can't imagine anything worse than thousands of people streaming past me!

I thought the organisation was pretty much spot on given the size of the field, fortunately I was staying 5 minutes from the start so didnt have to brave the portaloos which are always grim but everything else seemed to go pretty smoothly. mind it did seem a hell of a long way from the finish line to the buses especially as my bus was right at the back! don't know how practical it would be to do anything about that though. The drinks provision was pretty spot on especially having water and powerade before the start.

Overall a fab day even despite the monsoon on way back to the metro. I'd come today looking forward to my 1st GNR thinking it would be first and last, now I'm already planning to try and come back next Sept to do it all again image

• Options
    I've just been on 5 live about GNR and 5 live Septemberfest events - only a minute or so but my Mum said it sounded good - although I think she may be just a tad biased! My OH told me off for saying knackered on the BBC! LOL Great ending to what has been an absolutely brill weekend including a new GNR PB by 5 minutes.
  • Options
    Just got thro the door 26 mins ago here in norfolk! guess whats on tele? Yep US!! Im gona watch it then offf to bed
  • Options

Hi all, well a great day with a pb for me 1.44.29, Vicki you looked gracefull not graceless in that pink dress!

This was my 3rd and best yet, I really enjoyed it, the hills didn't  bother me at all this time, roll on 2011.

• Options

How was JAC camping Ingold, I'm just in from the pub, clattered and off to bed.

Race report to follow at some time,maybe.....

• Options
    Snoopy – thanks for your kind words, and here’s to a speedy recovery for you!

Woody – glad you enjoyed your day!

I was in white zone E and our marshals were stopping and checking everyone who came into the pen (as far as I could tell).  Yes, the race was congested, but I started in one pen behind the one I started in last year, but still managed to finish in a comparable time, so the extra volume of people wasn’t too much of a hindrance.

Michelle – brilliant time for your first half!

Have had a brilliant night with some old friends from this thread.  Am completely shattered now and am off to bed since, unlike most, I have work in the morning.

Stringy – thanks for the laughs tonight (I know you love them really!  image)

• Options

What a fantastic weekend in the north east. We drove up to friends in hartlepool on Fri evening- easiest 4hr drive ever.  Spent Saturday satisfying the family's needs in the Life centre and St James' park and then drove along the GNR route.

The plan on Sunday was to drop me off at S Shields andI'd get the metro in but the traffic was horrendous to jumped on at Hebburn and got to the start just after 9am.  Then joined the toilet queue-where did they get those from? Quite the worst I'vehad the pleasure to sit in at any race, ever.

The race itself- wow. It was great to meet up with soem of the forumites under the bridge.  Good idea about the green ribbon, but I still ahven't found where I put mine. 

Fantastic support- I heard the roar of  Oggy Oggy about a minute before I reached one of the early underpasses.  The last mile has to be the longest mile in a race- I couldn't believe there was still 800m to go at the sign.  My OH and son and friends were at the 400m sign and they can't understand why I didn't hear them-it was nearly as deafening as turning onto Tower Bridge in the FLM.  I missed a PB by a minute but i beat my hoped for time by the same amount.  i didn't help myself by walking into Zone D instead of B. Doh image .I think I was overcome by the excitement of the day.  Won't make that mistake next year!  Did I just say that?

More gripes about folks starting in wrong zones- I saw someone walking before the Tyne Bridge and didn't seem to be injured

• Options
    well done to everyone for yesterday, we already have the GNR 2011 thread started, so pop across and join the fun for next year !!
  • Options
    My first GNR and First half marathon. The atmosphere was amazing and really enjoyed the experience but I have to say it was much harder than I expected and I had trained to do under two hours and had managed that when running at home but for some reason at mile 11 my legs just went and cramp set in. I was running on my own and I found my biggest bug bear was the fact that I couldnt get any pace at all the entire way around due to slower runners . Even at the first mile people were walking and I must of passed thousands of walkers and people in higher colour bands walking early. I felt it was a great run but not if you want a PB . The entire course for me was congested and at times you had to slow down to a near walk at roundabouts due to crowds and therefore this made me completely have to adjust how I ran and I actually ran 13.4 miles according to my Garmin. I am proud of finishing in 2.10 but also disappointed as I know I have done soo much better. I have never ran soo slow in over a year but I will just have to train even harder and try and get furthur up the field to beat my time.I think organisers should reduce the numbers of entrants next year .
  • Options
    Thanks to The North EAST.
    Next the GNR is a Mass participation race - It will and should be crowded.
    Our GNR team was called the Airedale Dodgers becos u have to dodge. Enjoy it and the mass of humanity doing the same. It is unique and wonderful.

I agree loos cheap and nasty, powerade lacked calories - Whats that all about - Lucozade sport for me from now on!!!

Why put powerade zero out???? - noone buying it???

Thanks again to all the volunteers and a special thanks to the University accomodation staff

Cheers

PS Simon the physio at BUPA sorted out my torn calf to let me limp round!
  • Options

Hi everyone.

Just wanted to say thanks to the NE for a fantastic day.  I enjoyed every minute.  Slow time at 2.54 but my aim was just to finish.  The support was fantastic but my Dad was from Ryhope so it is what I expected.  Highlights of the day were running over the Tyne Bridge and said a thanks to my dad for getting me that far also at one of the water stations Dame Tami Grey said "well done Liz"  Made my day.  At the sight of the sea said another thanks to Dad and I knew I would finish.  I will never forget it.  Thanks to all.

I was running for Cancer Research as my son was diagnosed with bone cancer when he was 14.  He is now 22.  When I got home he came and gave me the biggest hug ever.  Fantastic day. 

Liz

• Options

Had a great day! My time of 2h 17 is not going to set any records but I am pleased to have run all the way and to have finished strong, not sure I could have made it any faster. 

I shook hands with Ant at the start image

Of all the eventualities I planned for, rain was not one of them - d'oh - both at the start and the finish. Will know better for next time. 

Well done everyone!

• Options

Congrats to all who ran yesterday, found the conditions quite humid when the rain stopped. I agree with the powerade comments, why give out sugar free drinks. I remember reading the lucozade literature when lucozade lite came out and it said it was for shorter sessions, when was a 1/2 marathon a shorter session.

Rant over as it was another enjoyable day and have already decided to sign up for membership again. image

• Options

Hi Martin

Re Powerade, I've just asked that question on the 2011 thread - was there no normal Powerade drinks available at all? What idiot decided to give out a sports drink devoid of carbs to people running a half marathon?  I lost the contents of my bumbag along the Felling Bypass, including the gel I was hoping to take halfway round.  When I realised it had gone I wasn't too worried, thinking I'd be able to replenish with the Powerade along the route!

If it weren't for the jelly babies at the boost zone I'd have been flaking out in the last few miles!

Other than that, and the disgusting portaloos, I had a fantastic day.

• Options

Congrats to all and especially the first timers and PB's,

With such an undulating course, its defo not a PB course for me - unless you can physce yourself to loving hills - I dont!  Being a boy using the bushes is no problem for us - sure GNR organisers could easily hire an extra 100 loos - but they are more concerned with making money than supporting runners.  I really enjoyed the race and the local support was fandabbidozzi.

Thought weather conditions brill for running, but I did forget to pack me shorts and beloved Everton top so had to buy a pair of trackees from Asda and cut them down and ran we me Ping golf top - was overheating at Mile 1 -what a sight I looked.

But still enoyed the day  - got drowned from the finish to me car. Thanks again to all the local support!

• Options

That bloody Powerade:

I thought it was bottled water and emptied half a litre over my head...

Stings the eyes a bit and makes for a very sticky race.

• Options
    1.59 with a pee stop. Baggage buses were a nightmare as full before 10 and being in Orange tried the other colours no, not allowed on. ENded up running to the late buses and then running to get into the pen on time. Set off abit quick but got round. Not my favourite race, motorways and dual carriageways. Nice finish spot apart from the dire weather at the finish.  Loos didn't bother with found a bush at mile three............well done to all who ran..............we must be mad.................
  • Options

Great North Race Report - 1:19:51 - 113 place

I awoke nice and early yesterday to wet conditions which I was happy about as the last few years have been tough in sunny conditions.

Arrived at the start before 9 am and chatted to a few lads from the Harriers and friends that run for other clubs. After wearing my lightweight racers for a recent 10 mile road race I decided that I would give them a go for this year’s GNR, so changed into my kit at about 9:40 and dumped my bag on the bus. For the first time I was given a Zone A number which meant I was able to do some gentle strides before the Zone B runners were moved forward. I crossed the line 2 seconds after the gun went off and foolishly my race plan of 6 minute miles for the early miles went out of the window, something that I would later regret. I was feeling really good in those miles early miles so decided to go with the flow and see what happens.

After the 3 mile mark the first steady climb towards Heworth started and my pace dropped to just over 6 min miles but I was still feeling quite relaxed and looking forward to taking on board some fluids. Mile 5 was slightly slower but my pace always slows in the miles that I take on board fluids and this does include the climb to the highest point on the course. I was disappointed with the powerade this year that it was lower calorie as I was hoping for a sugar boost from the drinks.

I passed whitemare pool and went though half way in about 38:35 and my pace picked up for miles 6 to 8 to sub 6 min miles again but I was starting to feel the early pace now. During mile 9 I started the long journey up the John Reid road and I ran my slowest mile of the race so far but knew that I had time in the bank. I managed to pick the pace up for mile 10 and went through 10 miles 20 seconds quicker than my 10 mile pb from 2 weeks ago but was now on auto pilot. At the final powerade water station walked for a few seconds to take onboard fluid and also took a sponge to cool myself down as I found it quite humid during the race.

The pace slowed for miles 11 and 12 to 6:28 and 6:26 and I worried that I might not break the 1:20 mark at this rate. My legs, especially my lower limbs,  were begin to ache now but I have seen a photo of me at the 20km point mid air so I was able to pick up the pace again. I managed to slightly pick the pace up for mile 13 to 6:21 pace and then ran at 5:47 pace for the last 0.16 miles to finish in 1:19:49 (my watch) or 1:19:51 chip timeimage. For the first time I managed to get to finish on the road too.

Legs are SORE today though but it was worth it.image Splits to follow

• Options

Splits

Split  Time         Distance

1       00:05:40    1
    2       00:05:46    1
    3       00:05:51    1
    4       00:06:04    1
    5       00:06:08    1
    6       00:05:50    1
    7       00:05:47    1
    8       00:05:58    1
    9       00:06:22    1
    10     00:06:07    1
    11     00:06:28    1
    12     00:06:26    1
    13     00:06:21    1
    14     00:00:55    0.16   
    Sum 01:19:49    13.16

• Options
    Amazing time, Martin - well done you!
  • Options

Martin ... you are a legend in my eyes ... great times ... well done ...

Was staggered to here that leaders were doing 4:30 min/ mile - OMG!

Have to agree that Powerade let us down there ... no surprise that manuy bottles were thrown hardly touched....  for a company looking to support and promote their products to endurance runner placing zero carbs drinks on route of GNR Half Marathon is just stupid .... screwed my fuel plan abit ... thanks to Bupa jelly babies,  spectators generousity in handing out sweets, icelollies, biscuits, bannanas ...etc ....  to me they are the heros of the event. 

Glad to hear others got frustrated by slower walkers etc ... I too am not the quickest but I was always moving thru the crowds ... why people don't walk to the sides surprises me ....  but with such a huge event you are always going to have the underprepared ..... it always seems a shame that you see peole after one or two miles walking and they have zones allocated way ahead of you .... respect the challenge!

Don't want to leave a sour note on the event .... it was FANTASTIC !!!  I am still proud of runing all the way and doing a PB on a much tougher course .... ca't wait for next year and going to pay my dosh to guarentee 3 yrs .....  now I know hwat to expect ... I have a GNR PB to beat !

Woody .... now going to link up to GNR 2011  thread !

• Options

I did of course mean Dame Tanni Grey-Thompson.  Excuse my error was a bit tired for some reason!

Liz

• Options
    martin - outstanding running and those plits are breathtaking !! well done image
  • Options

Hi All

First post but registered to see what everybody thought of yesterday. I thought it was a fantastic event - certainly given the scale of it. Crowds were fantastic especially along the last mile.

Like a previous poster I ran Robin Hood Half last week and so the last 4 miles were tough

Also interested in the 2 comments by previous posters on their chip time. I managed a PB (or so I thought) until I checked the results. 45 seconds longer than my Garmin time. Strange...  

• Options

Cant believe people are complaining about the toilets on the course its your own fault for drinking to much!  if u got to take a wizz during a race you've over hydrated... step away from the water stops!

Totally agree about the slow walkers.  Clues in the name... its called the great north RUN not walk.  If you have to walk move to the sides and let the runners pass!   

The best organised race I have ever been to, I cant believe half marathons can be that much fun!  so sad its over, cant wait for next year!

BTW.   big up to La Spaghettata italian resturant in Durham.  Pasta dishes were awesome and massive portions, perfect for carb loading !!

• Options
    the chip time was only a second out to my watch so no complaints.
  • Options
    John (and anyone else who had a significant difference in chip/watch time), do you have auto pause enabled on your watch? If so, it will have stopped your time when it lost the signal on the underpasses, assuming you started on the left.
  • Options

Hi All, Yesterday was my first GNR, in fact it was my first running event since cross country at high school!

I ended up running alone as other people deferred their place for one reason or another. I finished in 2hrs and 28 min, which was 2 min ahead of my 2 1/2 target. I didn't know what to expect, but thanks to Julie and Sarah who were running for East Lancs Hospice, who helped me get sorted at the start (and keep dry).

I knew that I hadn't put enough training in, but I was pleased to only have to walk when faced with the John Reid Rd. Emotionally I was doing OK, a few hairs on the back of my neck crossing the start, Tyne Bridge, and then seeing the sea going over the crest towards the last roundabout. But I welled up when the guys were helping the woman in the wheelchair walk the last 50m!

Powerade Zero was indeed Zero, I don't know much about running, but it didn't have the same effect as the stuff from the Spar shop, and the last lot was so bad I threw it away after one swig (along with thousands of others judging by the pavement).

Being my 1st event, I was shocked by the number of people collapsed at the side of the road, especially given that it was a coolish day, I hope they are all OK!

All in All, I have raised £800 for the Stroke Association, and left with a medal, a t-shirt and a smile!

I have also just registered for the reminder for next year, so that I can run with the people who have deferred this year.

With a lot more preperation, I should get nearer to 2hrs, fingers crossed!

Well done to everybody, see you next year!