Options

ASICS Super Six: Bridget (Sub-4:15)

Comments

• Options
    micknphil-marathonlads.com wrote (see)

but she has to find this extra pace ,

not to mention a mentorimage

Haven't checked on the other threads, but has anyone heard from the mentors?

• Options
    Ah yes but there is the secret weapon on this thread for extra pace, Hash's rolling pin, works every time. image
  • Options

Steve -the mentor, turned up on the sub-4 thread, but the mentee has been awol for days!

Odd!

• Options

the minute Bridget dissappears for her break...the mentor will probably turn up image

Have  agreat one bridget image

• Options

She's been here already.

Oh, you mean the official mentor, not Debbo......

• Options
    Steve did pop in to say hello but I have Bud for my mentor. Realised I should say something about how this morning's session went. I haven't done intervals of more than 1K before so the idea of even 2 lots of 1.5 miles was slightly daunting. My legs were feeling it toasted the end of the second rep but by breaking it down into chunks of half a K ( yes it was a metric treadle today) I got there image
  • Options
    Hashette Too Many Sprouts wrote (see)

She's been here already.

Oh, you mean the official mentor, not Debbo......

LOL

image Bridget

• Options

Bridget

it does depend on just how much you want this, i do remember very well in fact how you tackled other marathons,

others may not know you as well as i do, or even understand the marathon as much as we do, that comes with experience

phsycological thinking is good for relaxing and blocking out pain

Gloucester 3 lap FM & RH FM at water sports centre, at 20 miles going into a head wind, both of which you really went at like almighty hell

I've never forgiven you for beating us image  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Options
    Have a lovely break Bridget image
  • Options
    Hi Bridget image Just popped in to say congratulations and good luck with your training! x
  • Options
    Well done Bridget. Hope it is all as exciting as it sounds.
  • Options

Congratulations, Sparkly, you sooooooooo deserve this.  Take every bit of advice you can to be the speedy gonzales you can be and stun yourself with some great results.  xxxx  image

• Options

Bridget

You have made an excellent start to the training. if you need any guidance until Bud arrives, let me know

• Options
    Will do Steve.

Having spent a day with friends in Cornwall yesterday I set the alarm for 6.45, got my hi viz and head torch out and headed out into the fog of Dartmoor (on road). Yesterday's missed run was 4 or 5 miles at easy pace (10.54) whereas today's was a mile warm up, 2 miles brisk (9.20) and then a mile cool down. Having driven along the crowd to get here I knew it was definitely hilly in comparison to my usual routes so I intended to do the easy run.

As it turned out despite running a stiff headwind for the first 2 miles my average pace was 10.12 over the 4 miles so it probably averaged the same sort of pace as the brisk run but without getting right up to speed. Not bad with reduced visibility on an unfamiliar route though image

For those who are interested the splits were 10.20, 10.31, 10.08, 09.52

I think I've earnt a full Dartmoor breakfast today image
  • Options

Bliddy good splits there, Bridget.

• Options
    yes good running Bridget - always best to get faster during the run and feel strong at the end rather than go out too quick and slow down.
  • Options
    Steve, I have a question about the end of Week 4. The schedule calls for a 1 mile warmup and cool down with a 10K or 5 mile race in the middle. Unfortunately the only thing I can find within reasonable travelling distance that weekend is a multiple-terrain 10K. The weekend before I could get to a road 10K or a 5 mile on footpaths in a park. what would be the best option, going off road or swapping Week 3 and 4 Sunday runs?
  • Options
    I don't see a problem in doing a multi-terrain 10km - some are quick though off-road and it's the effort that more important than the time but I also don't see a problem in swapping the week you race around but you may need to swap some other of the runs around too to ensure you go into the race reasonably tapered and fresh.
  • Options
    Well done on your Dartmore run USB...be careful out there!
  • Options
    Thanks Steve - I think I'll do the multi-terrain in that case as it is closest to me and I'd rather not do too much swapping around
  • Options
    Hope you have a great New (PB) Year, Bridgetimageimage
  • Options
    Seconded!  Have a great 2011 Bridget, a fantastic run in Paris and enjoy the ride over the next few months.  Looking forward to sharing the virtual training runs with you.
  • Options
    Happy New Year USB!
  • Options

Happy 2011 everyone! image

I've decided to stick (mostly) to the 4 hour schedule with paces adjusted to 4.15 target as the main difference between that and the 4.30 schedule is the length of the slow and easy sessions.  Having done a tad over 1400 miles last year I don't think the distances are going to be an issue for me.  That does however give me the option to make a session slightly shorter if needed without feeling guilty.

Today called for 3 or 4 easy miles or even a rest.  As I was down to be Race Director for the MK parkrun I had decided to run the route afterwards.  I then found myself awake  at 6.30 after my most undisturbed night in ages so changed my mind and headed over to run before the parkrun instead.  Basically did the 5K route but starting and finishing at my car stretched it to 3.34 miles at just under 11 mm.  

I felt colder than on Dartmoor but wondered if that was due to the proximity of large areas of still frozen water.

Tomorrow's long run is 8 miles but is likely to extend to 9 in order to avoid walking a mile home!

• Options
    Happy New Year - enjoy your running USB imageimage
  • Options

Good luck USB will be keeping an eye on your progress have been lurking a bit.....

I have still to decide whether to do the VLM or defer to next year so am sort of starting the training and seeing how it goes.

Hoping you may inspire me to go for it.

• Options

USB

Happy new year - there isn't too much difference between the 4:00 and 4:15 schedule so it should be possible to mix the two.

• Options

From Alice's original post on this thread it looks like the idea is to merge the 4.00 and 4.30 in some way. 

I'm enjoying the challenge of faster runs where it is down to me to make the pace as I'd got into the habit of relying on the club session to work on pace and just doing everything else at whatever seemed a reasonable pace on the day.  Having said that I have spotted a session of 800m intervals in a couple of weeks which will be ideal to do alongside the club session as we have a 1KM footpath/cycleway marked out  at 100m intervals.

Which 2 parkruns did you do BTW?

• Options

I would say it is better to do a similar session or slight variation to it ie 1000s instead of 800s and get company rather than to do the session on your own.

Parkruns I did were Bromley and Banstead - first time for Banstead but it was hour later than normal

• Options
    Hi USB - sounds like you are getting well stuck into your training even on holiday. Is there anyone at your Club that can help pull you along a bit more in the Club sessions? Sometimes it's good to tag on to a faster group now and again to move up a notch.