Options

Comrades 2012

Comments

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Sunshine, I have heard of it

I have entered my qualifing marathon for next year. Snowdon for a sub 3.

Races between Jan and Comrades that I have used in the past
    Jan - Gloucester 50 rolling hills laps
    Feb/March Barry 40 Track ultra
    March - Compton 40
    April - Marathon season (I think lots of people look for PBs here during comrades training, my PB was not run in this period)
    May - Ridgeway 40

Normally I will run some or all of these but next year....
  • Options
    Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭
    shut it stevie image

( i did warn it would change with the weather so you can tell it's me!)
  • Options

Agreed, If I am going to run Comrades anything over a half marathon in 2012 will be treated as a training run. Perhaps it is a good idea to pace a slower runner in the spring marathons, I could pace one of my mates for Brighton.

Have my first longer distance race in a few weeks (Fairlands Valley Challenge), but feel totally unprepared for it, since a couple of marathons earlier this year I have been pretty slack on training image

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Hope you know how to read a map :¬)
  • Options

I must not read this threadimage

• Options
    Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    Hello Martin, fancy seeing you here image
  • Options
    Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    Think I need to do more ultras rather than maras in training to work out how to keep things down.

Yes, I know I said I hadn't got sucked in.

Maybe I have now just a bit.

Compton was very very hard and I tripped over and said all manner of things but funnily enough I have happier memories of it than of Comrades itself (well actually given I wasn't soaked to the skin, cold as hell and sick as a parrot after Compton not so odd really).
    But mara training this summer. Nice bit of fun ...
  • Options
    Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭
    Fido come back next yr!!!!! Just think of the B2B then when you have that you can def stop! But just doing one feels sooooo wrong!
  • Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Yeah Fido come back. Then you can call yourself Fido2dogsand3medals! image
  • Options
    Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    Don't say that SD! I know it's just superstition but I don't like to jinx things (bugger the medals, one of the dogs is pretty old! It was v. sad a few years ago when we were just down to 1...).
  • Options
    Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭
    bless Fido, i understand, my hand was shaking when i put the key in the door when i got home as i deliberately hadnt contacted the pet sitter, so was terrified about the diabetic, but they are all well and furry and alive thank god.

anyway, we'll just call you fido3medals - or 3medalmaria image

• Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Sorry Fido. Superstitions... I too have lots of them, at least half a dozen just for Comrades!

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I have no running superstitions.

I train and I know what I can do.

Simple really
  • Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    So is anyone planning marathons for the autumn?

I'll be running Liverpool (9 Oct) and Valencia (20 Nov).
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I'm doing Snowdon as my seed race
  • Options
    Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    Eindhoven (Oct 9th).
    SD, the other half was wondering idly where they start the course tours for the Down run - do the coaches leave from Durban but not start the tour proper until they start the trip back from PMB? He also pointed out that not having to pay for another ChampionChip (found it still on my shoes when I unearthed them from the suitcase today) (pity it can only be used in SA) is not a good reason to go back image

Zzzzz
  • Options
    Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭
    i'm trying to work out marathons around shifts but i seem to be working every sunday in the autumn months grrr! i hate having to use up all my annual leave for things like this

Eindhoven sounds good -- is there anything to see beside the race? i like to idea of flat and fast...

wanted to do Liv to as i went to uni there...not sure i'm allowed to take any leave in Oct/Nov as that's when my work moves out of London and it's going to be chaos!!

• Options
    Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭

I am focussing on Triathlon training for the next couple of months, with London Tri at end of July and then the Wales Ironman in September (first one) before kicking back into Comrades training after that.  I am sure I will do a marathon or two, but not sure which ones yet!

Eindhoven sounds good though .. nice and flat!!

• Options
    Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    Eindhoven *is* nice and flat and apparently they've taken a few corners out of the course this year too and are starting it an hour earlier so that it's cooler. (They really seem dead keen to get the course record under 2:07:01 - G. Mutai - this year).

Runners can have their own sports drinks (with gels attached if you like) put out at the drinks tables and in past years they've had "spotters" so you get your drink handed to you as you run past.

If I get a 3:59 (which is not easy for me!) I get D seeding at Comrades, if not, F or worse, so unlike Gobi it's worth me picking a fast course image (I noticed that there is no A+ pen for sub 2:45 runners!)

I think there's an art museum there and some interesting modern buildings but it's not exactly Prague tbh.
    There are Ryanair flights from Stansted so you can go out on the Friday night or Sat morning or Sat night, register Sat or, indeed, Sun morning, and fly back Sunday night (handy for those short on leave Carmen.

The only problem is that they don't take credit cards for entry any more, so you can either
    a) beg and point out that from non-Eurozone places like the UK a bank transfer will cost you twenty quid (I did this and they said, Okay, you can pay us cash when you pick up your number at the expo, just because you begged nicely)
    b) launder the money through a friend with a Euro bank account
    c) enter when you get there ( about 50 euro as opposed to 38 if you enter before early July).
    d) ... dunno...

Am also thinking about logistics next year, noticed that if I take a later flight out of DXB on the way back (the DUR-DXB one gets in at 5am local time urrrrrr) I could catch a few hours' shuteye at the airport hotel and thus get home feeling only like I'd stayed out late and then had a lie-in...
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Peter - I am doing Alpe d'Huez triathlon next month, how are you finding the training mix ?

Fido - smart move looking for that fast course :¬)

Hill work this morning just solid paced reps. Notice I didn't say mountain :¬)
  • Options
    Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure there are any mountains in Oxfordshire (pity really - I noticed that our Box Hill runners, i.e. SpeedyDuck and Carmen, both did well this year...)
  • Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Fido - yep, the coach tour starts at the same place and shoots up the motorway to Pietermartizburg and works its way back along the route...

For Eindhoven, if Slotwin came back to the forum can't she do some laundering?

I'm really lucky with hills - I have Box Hill, Leith Hill, Holmbury Hill and Pitch Hill all within running distance...
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Fido - no mountains but plenty of hills you can run up and down. We are in the same part of the world.
  • Options

Maidenhead Half for me on the 4th September & Abingdon Marathon on 16th October.

It will be the second time I've raced both distances, so after a summer of speedwork it will be interesting to see the effect of 9 months of Comrades training. I'm hoping for some decent progress, but I'm feeling very slow at the moment and have been eating rubbish for the last 3 weeks, so we'll see.

Still doubt I'll be at Comrades 2012, although I have broached the subject with my wife and I can go if I hire a full time nanny. Could end up being an expensive raceimage

• Options
    Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    It's never going to be a cheap one. Next year I will be going on my own and so no dogsitter needed but still - kerrching.
  • Options
    Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭

Apparently BA are starting a direct flight to Durban from Gatwick later this year .. dont know the cost yet but that may be a popular choice!?

Gobi, enjoying the tri training which has made a change from the mile after mile of running that Comrades needed in the first 5 months of this year!! Legs are still a bit confused by the change but they have plenty of time to get used to it!

• Options
    Bad news - Trin has dropped out of the 100 miler in Stratford after 42 miles, apparently she was feeling sick and couldn't get any fuel on board. Still I admire her for having a go, I'm still struggling with my 45min easy runs at the moment. I don't know how Ellie Greenwood has managed to recover so fast, she got 4th at Comrades and then won the Western States 100 this morning!
  • Options
    Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    Youth.... sigh.
    Poor Trin, bloody guts!
    V. Excited re. ws100, woke up at 6:30 (no alarm) to check the results. Clark third, JezB fourth, SharmanIan tenth (well done to KJ for winning despite getting lost), and Ellie G 18th overall with that great late surge to win the ladies.
    Off to a 5k in Swindon now, on my quest for a *real* 5k medal, and possibly a PB as my current PB is, er, slightly over marathon pace (!)
  • Options

Thank you xx

I'm a bit gutted but I couldn't have made any other decision at the time