Options

WELSH RUNNERS!!!

1232425262729»

Comments

• Options
    Hey guys. Not seen this thread before I'm usually on the pth thread.
    there's a 10k race this Sunday magor marsh meant to be good for pb. Not that local as I'm in swansea but few of us going so should be good. Cheap entry fee too
  • Options
    Just seen this thread image Been running for ~10 Months now (with a 2 month break due to a broken ankle).

I live in Neath and work in Swansea, training for the Swansea Bay 10k and Cardiff half atm image
  • Options
    John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭

Hopefuly you'll be back to full fitness very soon matt

Hi triggerfish (pth thread - that of fast legs and all?) and Paul - I'm up in North Wales, edge of Snowdonia NP - recovering from my 1st time up Snowdon on Saturday!!

• Options

I'm in Bridgend and really frustrated.

Been training for Great North Run, Swansea 10k and Cardiff Half, but have a medial collateral ligament tear. 

Been out of action for 4 weeks and physio says it could take anything up to three months to recover.

• Options
    Hey, quite a lot of people doing the swansea 10k. I'm doing the saxon shore in kent in december so trying my best to get into my training programme

John Bach not seen fast legs for a while think he's busy training
  • Options

triggerfish, good luck with the cardiff half. I loved that run a few years back, was awesome. Done the swansea 10k a few times.

wont be fit enough for it this year tho lol.

Start slow, good luck with recovery. Its frustrating but dont rush it, thats the only advice I can give.

• Options

hi all

not come accross this thread b4 but i hang out on the PTH thread with tiggerfish,i notice my mate
    MM as beaten me to it again i'm fully welsh from merthyrimage

• Options
    Hi I've just found this thread...I'm Welsh through and through. From the north but now live in Aberystwyth. Training for Swansea 10k and Cardiff half. Did both last year and thoroughly enjoyed both.
  • Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

I too have just found this thread. Not Welsh by birth (though mother was, - does that count?) but been living in mid-Powys for past 23 years and even learnt the language a bit.

Not many races available in this area. Did the Felinfach 10k last year. I'm probably older than the rest of you by decades, and really belong on the Over-60s thread. 

• Options
    Hi, Did any of you welsh people  do the Borth Beach 10k today?
  • Options

Hello all

I am a Welshy..live and work in Swansea. Have run Swansea Bay 10k for some years and did Cardiff HM a couple of years ago. Currently have Planter Fasciitis issues but hope to do Swansea Bay 10K and maybe Cardiff HM this year.

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Hi Lottielouise. I didn't do Borth today, but did it once a few years ago and was staggered at how hard it is to run on sand, even though the sand was firm. (Trouble is, it was firm and rippled). Came in last, by a very long way.

Did you do it, and how did you get on? 

I had thoughts of the Cardiff HM this year, but my elder daughter is expecting her first baby around that time, and I shall be poised to rush off and greet my first grandchild.  There's a 10-mile race in Elan Valley in November, and shall probably enter that.  

• Options

Hi Columba, I did it in 1:09:43 and was 12th of 17 women so not bad for my first 10k, and the first time ive ran that far without stopping at all to walk. image

The hard rippled sand was difficult to run on, and I had never run of it before so was glad just to finish.

• Options
    The Borth 10k is on my "to do" list - I used to live in Aberystwyth, but never did any races when I was there. Virtualy all my races are within an hour of where I live in North Wales, although I did do the Rhayader 20 last year - great race! 
  • Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

My elder daughter did the Rhayader 20 several years ago. That was before I'd started running (took it up late in life, inspired by the said daughter, also by my no 2 son). She'd had a bit of knee trouble, so I crawled around the route in the car, alternately following her, overtaking her and waiting for her, in case she needed rescuing. This meant she could keep her gels and drinks in the car, very convenient. It was a cold and extremely windy day, and looked like a really brutal race. She did it as part of her training for the London mara, which she said was far easier than Rhayader. 

I have done the 5-mile race that goes hand-in-hand with the Rhayader 20, but have no ambition to run Round the Lakes. 

• Options

John you should do the Borth Beach Race, it was a great race, not bad price and great to have a goody bag and T-shirt (though its cotton) image

Id not heard of the Rhayader 20, I might do that next year, thanks image I have applied for the London marathon for a ballot place.

• Options
    Good luck with the ballot place ll - I have vowed never to do London again - I'll just to do my local marathon (Snowdonia), which I enjoy a lot more (5year for me this year)
  • Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Sounds as though the Borth beach race has moved up in the world since I did it, - all I got was a Mars bar and a bottle of water.

Lottielouise - Rhayader 20 (Rhayader Round the Lakes) is brutally hilly, - especially about 2 or 3 miles after the start, when there is a very long very steep uphill. And when you finally get up that, and out onto the moorland, it is high and very exposed, and whatever the weather is it batters you. (That's why my daughter said the London mara was much easier). 

• Options

Welcome Columba!!!!

Welcome madwelshwoman          thought they were all mad? Im married to one so am educated enough to say that lol

My runnning has taken another dip in so much that I have not ran! Gym twice in 2 weeks! Gotta get inspired!!! Helllllppppp!

• Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

I'm going to add my name to the list of people who have only just seen the thread! I'm normally on triathlete threads, but haven't got any more of those planned this year and am going to spend 6 months going back to what I love - running!

Am doing the Cardiff 10k with work and the Cardiff half.... hoping to get back down to sub-2 hours after doing 2hr29mins as part of my Ironman 70.3 (which was really 72.3). Then moving on to the Llanelli 20 mile race in December (subject to weather I suppose!), and you lot have reminded me of the Rhyader race which I may also do next year.

This is all with a view to tackling a marathon as part of the Outlaw Ironman event next July..... *wibble* ... though I may only do the run section as part of a team, I am having slightly bonkers ideas of swimming a couple of miles and cycling 100+ miles before hand..... image 

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭
    JEvans - where does the Outlaw Ironman event take place? - Sounds really tough! I gave up cycling a few years ago, only ever used the bike to get from A to B, not as part of training; and my swimming is limited to a few gentle lengths in a nicley heated pool.
  • Options

Hi

I know this is about wales in general but just wondered if there are any runners / cyclists in the wrexham area that I could join for training runs / rides? Can't find a thread suitable to post this on! 

Non of my friends run or cycle and I am getting fed up of training alone. Am looking to join a club but not sure if I'm ready for it (bit intimidated).

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Can't help you directly as I'm in mid-Powys,  but I have been running (alone) for about 10 years and very recently joined a local running club, and have been very pleased with it. Being old, I am slow, and therefore usually at the back, but they are very good about waiting for me, or sending back a little group of runners to bring up the rear behind me for a while. Nothing to be lost by trying one of your local clubs. I understand some are more friendly than others, and if your first session turns out to be not what you want, you can just not go back. They're not likely to ask you to pay for an initial trial session, I shouldn't think.

• Options

Just thought I would say hello but not sure whether this was aimed at runner's in Wales or Welsh Runners?

I fall in the second category but live in Sussex, originally coming the Llantrisant.

• Options

Hi all, thanks for the comments. I suppose I am Welsh (born in wrexham) but grew up in St Albans down south but back up here now. Basically I'm looking for some running  buddies around here as I'm sick of running alone ! There is a local Tri club but their running night is my Kids 'busy' evening and the other running club seems a bit pro!

I have managed to find a Masters swimming club this week and also a time trial cycling group so there is hope there (but they are both on the same night so I will be shattered but can't be picky!) But I would like to run with some others or even 1 other!!  I have dragged my 12 yr old son around a few times but scared I might give him heart trouble - only joking - he's actually really good but I don't think he should be doing much mileage at his age.?? image

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭
    I live in Wales (Powys) but don't consider myself welsh though my mother was Welsh and I have learned a little of the language.
  • Options

I live in Wales, pretty sure it's near you Matt Bassett, since your maps keep popping up on my Map My Run image. Small world Riodog, I'm married to a lovely man from St Albans ! Went up there at the weekend to visit MIL and had a short run in the lovely traffic fumes image.