Options

London to Brighton ultra run

Comments

• Options

Guys,

Thanks for the feedback, I enjoyed the run out witrh you guys.

Reference the section of path that was no longer accessible, below is the details.. Can someone send them on to the organisers for information - I'm unsure how long it'll be closed off for..

The affected area is just South of Marsh Green, in Jules Wood (after the part indicated as "Trust your compass"). As you climb thru the woods in SW direction to the junction at GR 434 420, the path highlighted as the route to take (heading SE direction) is fenced off and not accessible due to forestry operations. It is also closed off at the exit end at GR 435 417.

The route to take as you hit the junction at GR 434 420 is the path heading NW swinging round to W, then, after around 100m, take the Bridleway on your left, heading SE direction which runs parallel to the original intended path and meets at the junction at GR 435 417. Then continue on the marked route etc.

The intended path on the original route isn't actually a Public Footpath, which means there is no obligation to provide signage or alternative route for the organisation that have fenced it off..

Hope this helps..

dg

• Options

Lingster,

How did you get on at Seaford ?

dg

• Options
    Hi dg

Did it in 4h 15 so happy with that image it was trails over the southdowns so good training.

Mark
  • Options

Mark,

Good man, well done.. It's all mileage in the bank leading up to L2B..

dg

• Options

Well done Mark,

Not long now image

• Options
    Hi all

checked my spam folder today which I never do normally and had an email from extreme running saying the finish has moved if you look at your map book the finish is now at Roedean on the right where Blue "p" and pinic sign is on the right. Just thought I let you all know in case ya missed the email so you can let supporters etc know.
  • Options

Thanks again for your top notch recce-ing, Dougie.

Cheers all.

• Options

Folks,

If anyone else is up for it, I could do Keston (CP1 to Forest Row (past CP3)) this Sunday morning as another recce, distance would be about 22 miles or thereabouts..

Let me know if this would be of assistance to anyone ?  image

dg

• Options
    HI Dougie, am meeting Mark tomorrow to do Horsted Keynes to Falmer at 9am. Will see how I feel for Sunday as a back to back would be good news. Have you had much interest? Regards Greg
  • Options

Greg,

Bad news, I'm afraid.. My mum has taken ill and is now in hospital.. An op is planned for Monday, so I need to drive back up to Scotland this weekend, not sure how long I'll be up there.. All recce's with me are off for the timebeing..

I may look to lead thru Keston to Forest Row on race day now, somewhere in the region of 4 - 4.5 hours for the 22 miles thereabouts if anyone is interested (assuming I'm back in the region etc..)

Sorry for change of plans, hope your Sat recce goes well..

dg

• Options

Hi Doug,

Best wishes to your Mum for a speedy recovery and I am sure we all hope the op goes well and she will be back on her feet in no time. 

Keep us posted.

Regards

• Options
    Hi Doug

I hope everyhting goes well for your mum and she makes a speedy recovery.

Hi Greg

Good to go on the recce today has put my mind at rest after getting lost last time so thanks for that.

My training is done now two weeks taper down. see you all on the start line on the 11th .
  • Options

Hello all,

Add myself to the contingent.  Got entry to L2B for Xmas and have been training since then.  Had a major hiccup around Easter when it was confirmed I had a big arthritic lump on my ankle.  X-rays, MRIs and Cortizone injections and I carried on running over the summer until around 4 weeks when my ankle flared up again big time.  I thought I might pull out but have decided instead to completely rest it and take my chances on the day.  I will be on the start line having done no running for the previous 5 weeks so will be well rested!  Did a 31miler mid July though so let's see.

I am relying on a Garmin 205 to navigate me round.  The battery isn't long quite enough so I am looking to borrow second one but worst case I may buy one on Ebay and then list it the week after ther race. I used the Garmin ot get me round the ultra i did in July and it was faultless so let's see

Other issue I have at the moment is around my support.  Not sure who is supporting me and when.  I am staying at the hotel in Blackheath (Clarendon) and will leave my clothes there but I will have some things with me that I would rather not run with but don't really want to send off to Brighton as I am not all confident atthe moment my ankle will get me there. Does anyone have a car leaving Blackheath who could take a bag for me to CP2 where I think I will first encounter my support?

Cheers guys

• Options

Hi Ian,

Sorry to hear about your hangups with injuries. Sounds rough.

I'm afraid I'm no use for carrying your stuff, as I have no support crew. I'm sure there will be someone at the Clarendon who can help, at worst you could ask the marshalls.

I came down with some sort of bug/fatigue thing last week and have had to seriously cut down training at the 11th hour, and the friend I'm running with is recovering from a bad injury. We've recce'd the course (partly thanks to Dougie as you can see from posts above) and are going to be taking it handy on the day, so you're welcome to tag along with us if you need to.

Have you recce'd at all?

Cheers, 

D

• Options

My only recce work has been from You Tube and OS maps.  I am trusting in my Garmin and primitive map reading skills.  I have borrowed a second Garmin (albeit a different model) so should be good for 13 hours assuming my ankle holds out but as it has done nothing for 5 weeks and is still sore to touch under my desk at the moment, who knows what is going to happen.

Still i read somewhere last week that whilst DNF is not good, it is a million times better than DNS. 

• Options
    hi ian

Thats true its better to give it a go you never know it might hold out. Im staying at the Clarendon the night before but i live in Eastbourne so my kit is going to Brighton as my first meet with support crew is at Forest Row. I was on the reccee with Dave so have a sort of idea to checkpoint 3 and did checkpoint 4 to Falmer just hope i remember it on the day.
  • Options
    Hello All
    Firstly, good luck this Sunday. I have decided in the last few days to have a go and the organisers can fit me in.

Like some of you though I am rather worried about getting lost!

I have never used my garmin forerunner for pre-loading a route and using like a sat-nav but has anyone had experience of this? Easy to do?

Other than that I am relying on following others because my map reading is woeful!
  • Options
    Bruce

I can send you the file and talj you through it. Its very easy to do and gives you a line to follow that is accurate enough
  • Options
    Ian
    that would be a god send! What do you need from me? I will pm you my email address and let me know if you need anything else.

• Options
    No I wont because there doesn't seem to be a Personal Message capability on here? Am I being useless?
  • Options
    Send me an email at phenianATgmaildotcom and Ill send you the file tomorrow morning. You will need to change it from .txt to .crs and then import the course into the Garmin training centre software.
    File > import to current user account > courses
    Once imported and with forerunner connected
    File > send to device

On my garmin you need to go to training > courses > select the course and the do course

You then need the navigation screen up and you will have a long line to follow all the way to brighton.
  • Options
    Hi Guys, I think I have damaged my achilles tendon running 6 miles on the Inov8 F195. Been sore since Lingster and I recced the last two check points but thought I was over it. Gutted. Will keep icing it and resting but not looking good  image
  • Options
    Re The route closure from Dougie Gray's post;

<snip>
    The affected area is just South of Marsh Green, in Jules Wood (after the part indicated as "Trust your compass"). As you climb thru the woods in SW direction to the junction at GR 434 420, the path highlighted as the route to take (heading SE direction) is fenced off and not accessible due to forestry operations. It is also closed off at the exit end at GR 435 417.
    <snip>

I contacted Extreme Running and this was the response;

"Yes, we have checked this out (twice). The adjacent path is open and the route is clear. Effectively, they have fenced off the main path making just one path where there were two.

We will tell everyone on the day but we don't think it's an issue at all.

Thanks for letting us know. Please pass it on."
  • Options

Hi Prep. Really sorry about your Achilles. I know it's last minute, but Salomon do ankle-high lightweight trail boots that might help you support it while running.

I was pretty ill (some sort of fatigue) last week, and took it handy this week, so training is a bit ropey for L2B, and I know Pascal has been nursing injuries, so it looks like there'll be a few limpers on the day.

I'll gladly take you up on the offer for Forest Row to Keston, Dougie! That much less to worry about on the day.

I'm terrified and excited. Time to start my packing!

DK

• Options

David,

Sorry, but I'm only just back from Scotland (things are on the mend etc)..

Cannot make it to L2B this year..

All the best to the guys etc,

dg

• Options

Common sense had to prevail so I wimped out. Working on my achilles tendon and will be there next year.

Would be great to know how you guys got on. Looks like the weather held out for you.

• Options
    Hi greg,

Yeah weather was good all the way wind got up a bit in the last 10 mile did it in 12h 30m happy to finish under the 13h cut off. Hope your injury clears up keep in touch ill defo be back next year.
  • Options
    Incredibly lucky with the weather!

I was even luckier with the navigation though... Thank you Ian and thanks to the countless number of people that I followed through out the day.

Finishing within the cut off would of been impossible with out you all!
  • Options
    I didn't run but came and supported my friend at different points along the way! I am amazed at all of you! You are all heroes and heroines well done !!!!
  • Options

We missed you on the day, Dougie, but you'll be glad to know my navigation was faultless, even though Pascal and I had to split up for the second half. Your guidance paid off! Best wishes for your Mum.

Hope to see yourself and Greg next year. Been wiped out all week since finishing pretty much in one piece.

Thanks for the heads up, Wendy. The supporters were tremendous on the day. Really helped me along to have people clapping us on.

Cheers all!

D