Options

Dublin Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options

Adog,

It's amazing the quietness of the thread in comparison to '09. Wasn't here in '10.

I got back  from Poland last night.  Had a great time.  The Tetras are a great mountain range for all levels of hiking and climbing. We got great weather for the week.  We visited Auschwitz  on a rest day. I fully expected it to be bad, but not that bad. Films like "Life Is Beautiful" and "The Boy in the Stripped Pyjamas" protray the camps pretty well..

National Half is on next weekend. Since I haven't ran in two weeks, a time is pretty much gone. A friend wants to 'break' two hours so might pace her around in 9 minute pace and treat is a fast LSR image.

/John

• Options
    I did the Longford half yesterday in 1:54:55 so I am hoping for a marked improvement on last years 4:30:06 at the Dublin Marathon image
  • Options
    Managed a 17 mile run on Saturday, my longest so far. Was a real struggle towards the end but glad I have the mileage in the back. Running the Great Scottish Run Half Marathon on Saturday and then will try and run a 20 miler in the week or two after that. Happy with  the training so far. The aim is for sub 4 hours which should be achievable with my HM time of 1h45mins.
  • Options

Will,

Think your right with that. but it all depends of your training.  Are you planning many long runs > 18 miles?

My  half PB is also around the 1:44 ('09) and I managed a sub 4 in '09 with nine training runs > 18 miles.   I did a 1:46:30 this summer so I'm hoping to be able to break the four again.  But that all depends if I can get back to  the long runs quickly. Haven't done any in three weeks now. image.    I'm hoping I manage the half Marathon this weekend comfortably.

• Options

I have entered the Dublin marathon this year after having to pull out of it in 2009 due to injury.  I completed my first marathon in October 2010 in Tenby (The Wales Marathon) which i did in 4:07 and with that being a very hilly marathon am hoping to crack the 4 hours with Dublin.... fingers crossed!!image

• Options
    Best of luck Braceface. I did London in 4:07 and cracked Dublin the following year. So your in with a great chance image.
  • Options

@adog, those look good times for a 24k, if that's coming back after a recovery., any target times for Dublin?

Last three weeks for me have been fairly good as well, ramped up my long runs to 15 and 18m which went fine, which I was well happy with, as kept a fairly even pace, and within my target pace, doing both in about 5'30/km. My original plan had a 20Miler last sunday, but I was away on holiday from wed, so have taken a week off from running, first run back today, did some hillwork, which was nice.

Next milestone is a local half marathon race next weekend which will allow me to judge how well my training is going. the sub 3.30 plan I'm following suggests to try for a 1,37, my previous best is 1.42, so will see how it goes. anyone else got a hm planned about this time?

Martin

• Options

Hey Finnbarr. I am running four times a week now with around 30-35 miles a week total. Before May I had never run beyond 10k so it's been some step up from me. I have scheduled in a 19 miler, a 20 miler and either a 22miler or another 20 miler before the big day.

I read varying reports about the 20 or 22 miler for the biggest run so I am a bit torn. I really think 4 hours is achievable for me assuming I get my training and tapering right in the next few weeks. I am giving up booze in the October to give me that extra edge,

Sounds like everyone is really training well so far. I hope it stays that way and everyone remains injury free.

• Options
    Phoenix Park Half Marathon (Adidas Dublin Marathon Race Series) is on the 17th of September - I need to improve on my Longord time to look at a sub 4hr - McMillan has me at 4.02 and Runners world has me at 3:59;57 for the Marathon so I am borderline at the minuteimage
  • Options

Will,

You plan looks good.  consider making an effort to run the last couple of miles of your LSR at marathon pace or as close as possible.  I run my last 2-3 miles @ 9->9:15 pace.  Great training for keeping up the required pace on tried legs during the marathon.

I think the 22 miler is a good idea. Details of my 22 miler for the '09 marathon was..

Phoenix Park a.m.: 22 miles in 3' 36". Avg of 09' 49" / mile. Avg Heart 149  (Upped Pace late second Half)

• Options

Good luck to all those running. I did my first marathon last year in Dublin and really enjoyed it. I have a half PB of 2.11 and finished in 4.42.

Hope to do this again sometime.

• Options

Week 8 of the 16 week training program, so looks like we're half way there.

So far so good here, have kept to schedule fairly much, only a few runs missed while on holiday. Last Sunday was a half marathon race to test the legs, which went quite well, dipped under the 1.40 mark for the first time, so well happy with a new pb.

Next sunday shoudl be a test though, first 20 miler, so may be time to break out the gels. Hope the weather keeps up, not a big fan of long rus in the rain.

M.

• Options

IrishMartin,

I would not bother with gels on a training run.  Just slow down a bit more.  Remember long and slow.

I also did a half last saturday. I ran a comfortable 1:48:30.   Well of my PB of 1:44:43 but then I wasn't going for a PB. Very satisifed with the run out. 

Will do a 16 next Sat. and a 10K race on Sunday.  It will be a good challange double challange for the weekend.  Will plan an 18 and 20 for the next two weeks.

John

• Options
    Hello Everyone! This is going to be my first proper marathon - eek! imageAfter multiple halfs and doing the race series in the Phoenix park year after year, I've finally screwed up my resolution and signed up for DCM. Unforunately a niggling knee problem is messing with my training schedule but alternating rest, cutting back on the number of days training and keeping up my long steady runs will hopefully bring me up to the mark on the 31st of October. It's frustrating though to be plagued with an injury - cruised along on a 14 mile run the week before, this week having to take it easy as the knee is niggling again! And I'm due to do the marathon du Medoc on Saturday so I'm saving myself for that! I won't be running all of it thankfully as I'm doing it with some else who'll walk it but it still 26 miles! And 22 wine stops! So I'll keep my fingers crossed for all of you training and nursing injuries, if you wouldn't mind keeping your fingers crossed for me! And we'll hopefully all show up fit and ready at 9am on 31st of October!image
  • Options
    Hi! I'm doing the Dublin, it will be my Third marathon. My second is the Kielder one 3 weeks before! EEK! I hope to do it in 3:30-3:45 I'm more looking forward to the drinking afterwards tho image See you at the start line!

P.s. i've just done an 18mile jaunt at 2:20 so I think I'm on target..
  • Options
    Hello - just noticed this thread. I did Dublin in 2009 and going back for another crack at it because it was pretty nice.

Training going really well so far - 18 miles on target two weeks ago and the glasgow half at close to my pb last weekend. I am now really torn between a half ironman on Sunday or a 20 miler -..... the weather may make the decision for me (or my husband and kids!)
  • Options

Well its my first time for the Dublin Marathon and my second crack at the distance !  I'm hoping to have a real good go at a good time and so far the training as been going OK - running through a head cold at the moment , which is a bit rough.

I'm really asking if anybody has any hints and tips on getting to Dublin from the UK ; I'm hoping to stay with relatives when I get there ,although they don't know it yet !!!   Is there some regulars out there who do the journey regularly ?

Looking online flying from Manchester seems my best option at present [ live NW England] , although a bit more expensive than I'd planned for - I might check out the ferry times - is it just Holyhead that go to Dublin and is that likely to be that much cheaper / practical?    I'm treating my daughter to a short break so I'm planning on a 3 day stay.

Any advice / help would be most welcome.

• Options

I caught a train / ferry combination between Dublin & Manchester.  Worked out pretty good at the time.  With the decent road the whole way to Hollyhead, a Bus / Ferry is an option.

Check both airlines (Aer Lingus & Ryanair) from manchester.

Don't forget to check  Aer Lingus Blackpool to Dublin.  I had a quiet look and there is good prices on that route (< 100 at the moment for two of you).

Final options are Ryanair Liverpool / Dublin or the Liverpool ferry which is a long journey.

• Options

Thanks for that very useful post Finbarr65 ; I like the look of Blackpool  especially if your flexible with dates out & back , so work allowing its going to be Blackpool and its a bus ride away from where I live - I'll get somebody to drop us off even better !!!

I'm really looking forward to the day itself now and can concentrate on training , couldn't face a run today -head cold- so did a session on the weights / bike and enjoyed it.    I really need to get a decent long run in this week end though a 15 miles +  .

The best of luck with your training and thanks again for your post.

• Options
    Lucas - fly.

The ferry trip, especially if there is weather delays can be arduous at times-the last thing you need before running a mara.

All the best
  • Options

did a long run on Friday of 18 miles and found it very hard, my legs felt like lead over the last 2 miles and I was feeling very sorry for myself until yesterday that was, I was marshalling for the Wales Iron Man competition in Tenby and those men and women are just awesome and put my measley 18 miles to shame!!.  The last competetor to cross the line was a 77 year old man who crossed the line just before midnight having started at 7am, what an inspiration!!image .I dont think i will winge so much on my long run next friday now!

• Options

Ah a "real man"  v's a 'woose' image

Did 19 myself on Sat.  Three of us together which was good.  We stead together for 15 miles of it @ approx 10 minute pace. Slowed down a little over the last 5 miles due to fatigue and the last bit was also very hilly. 

We are planning to do the same run next week but put the hilly bit at 7 miles instead of 14 image    

• Options

@lucas, I'm also going to Dublin from the UK but further south, so will be flying from heathrow. the costs weren't too bad, as had it booked a long time ahead. I'd agree with Paddy about flying, as a long car journey wouldn't appeal to me after a marathon, even as a passenger. (would be worse as a driver!)

I'm planning to get in to Dublin saturday morning ish,and pick up my number from the rds on the saturday, to leave Sunday as free as possible.That way, I can spend a little time at the expo without worring that I'm on my feet too much the day before the race.

Training wise, going well so far, did my first 20 miler of the schedule yesterday,  Kept a fairly even pace, just a shade over 9 minute miles. Was a little slower than my previous 15 and 18 milers, as with those I kicked up the last mile or two to MP pace, but didn't have any excess energy this time.

Next week's a recovery week, so not quite as long a run on sunday, but then it's 20/20/22 the following three weekends, so lots more miles to clock up!

Martin

• Options

7 weeks to go !

Training going pretty well. Did an 18 miler last week and posted a half marathon pb of 1.46.58 in Bristol yesterday. I missed the Wales v South Africa match to run that. The sacrifices I am making for this marathonimage

Also 3 sub 50 10k's over the past few weeks (only managed 2 in 13 attempts before).

A gentle 4 miles with strides tomorrow, then 9 on Wednesday, 10 on Friday and 20 miles on Sunday which i am actually looking forward to image

Good luck all with your training.

• Options
    Cool to see that there is a thread for this!

This will be my 2nd marathon and I'm hoping to run it sub 5-hours and enjoy it!

I'm booked in for the half on Saturday but probably won't go down for it as travelling will be difficult. Think I'll aim for a long run over 14 on Sunday. Longest so far is only 13.1 miles and time is of the essence.

Currently between 35-40 miles a week training but looking to push that to a peak of 50 miles. Gonna be totally unambitious with my training and go for distance and hills over speed-work unless I feel fit for it in the last mile.
  • Options

Hello all, did my second 20-miler of this campaign yesterday in 2h50 which I was pleased with as there was about a quarter of it was ascending... looking forward to Ireland giving the Aussies an examination in the morning...

• Options

Hi all,

Getting very excited about Dublin now! I'll be very happy with anything sub-5 hour. Training has been variable.... Up to 16 miles LR. Im doing GNR this weekend then hopefully will get an 18 and another 18/20 in before the big day!!!

I wouldnt fancy getting the ferry back. I'd be very stiff. Im flying from Leeds on Friday night. Looking forward to the expo and generally relaxing Saturday and Sunday!

Anyone know if they usually have pacers?

• Options
    The last time I did Dublin (2009) there were pacers - I remember however that there was such a crowd round the guy I wanted to follow that I gave up. I blew up at 19 anyways so it was a moot point.
  • Options
    Hi Everyone, Been browsing the forums on here for a while now so thought it was time I signed up and started to contribute myself!

I'm running my first marathon in Dublin this year. Really looking forward to it!

Training going pretty well thus far. My long run yesterday took me to 17.5 miles in 2:35. I'm trying to keep my mile splits at around 9 mins. Started to get really tough from 14 miles on but I hung in there. Next Sat will be 19 miles so edging slowly towards the 20 threshold!

I have been on the wagon since mid June (which is remarkable for me!) so I have my mind totally fixed on the prize - A lovely pint of the black stuff in a yet to be decided pub on the afternoon of Oct 31st!
  • Options

Got up at 4.00 a.m. to watch the Wales v Samoa game.My nerves were shredded after that image Managed to get a few hours snoozing after and then went out for my 3 hr 20 mins run.

Wasn't loobking forward to it but it went surprisingly well. Did the first 2 hrs 50 at a slow/easy pace and managed to break into a steady jog for the last 30 mins.

Perhaps having your nerves shot to pieces with very little sleep is the way forwardimage

Good luck all.