Options

Ballbusting in November

Comments

• Options

yawn, stretch, etc.

Morning campers....  are we ready to rumble?

• Options
    Just made the ride across London and am on the train now, and...realised I forgot my water bottles! Got one spare in my bag fortunately but will be on the blag once I get there.

Good licks guys and girls!!
  • Options
    Will bring a spare!!!!!!
  • Options
    Good luck guys, have a good race.
  • Options
    Have a great race. Must do this one soon.

• Options
    Great race everyone, nice to see / meet you all. Now going to destroy the pizza hut salad bar and a very large pizza, shame they don't do all you can eat on weekends!
  • Options
    Yep echo BHFlyer, great racing from the pirates again. Sorry I couldn't stay with you on that last hill BH, just had nothing left. Really happy with my race, some 25 mins quicker than last year (though last year had a c.10min puncture!). Only downside was getting "bro'd" on the last hill. That hurts...

Didn't see the results but no doubt Joddly and Cheerful Dave added some Pirate dazzle to proceedings.

Thanks to Meface and Trogs for getting out on the course and supporting! Only disappointment was Jaffa letting the side down badly - turning up at the finish with no teas, coffees, cakes, sweets, nothing... image
  • Options
    Well raced & supported all, it turned out nice in the end after a damp and foggy start. Yes, joddly & I did trouble the prize givers, not quite a pb for me but close enough given the conditions. Cheers to Gladys for pointing out that I could take it easy on the last run, but I felt pretty good on that last lap, probably because you couldn't go completely mad on the bike. Which incidentally looks like I've been using it for cyclocross.
  • Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    Great to see everyone today, and well done all racers.

Thanks to Trogs and Meface for popping up around the course and providing much-needed encouragement.

That was hard, and I was falling apart a bit on the final hill. Probably reflects not coming into this from marathon training. My ankle/foot problem was .... not a problem. Overall a pb by about 4 mins, though runs slower and bike (and transitions, I think) quicker than in March.

I have lovingly sponged down my bike....
  • Options

echo what the others have said - lovely meeting everyone and what a cracking event.  Thanks for the support - vocal and smiley and very welcome.  I don't feel completely trashed so paced it about right.  Fab first run, fairly average bike leg and a well executed run walk from T2.  No idea of the time but I think under 4 hrs.  Met an old mate on the course who I haven't seen for over 10 years and a friendly Tripe Talker in the car park who was surprised that we don't have 2 heads and are actually nice peeps! image

Brilliant day.  Showering off mucky legs was interesting and the bike is still in the car - it's filthy.

Roll on next year - defo do that again if I can...

• Options
    Good effort guys and gals

and especially Joddly who was having trouble walking when I saw her yesterday!!    (sensible my arse!!!)  

• Options
    she was flying today. image
  • Options
    "and especially Joddly who was having trouble walking when I saw her yesterday!!"

"she was flying today."

Proof, if ever any was needed, that Meldy is a witch! And a powerful one at that!
  • Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    <tries to create a distraction from Gladys' comment>

I did fly in the March Ballbuster - fell off my bike coming into T2 too fast!

• Options
    I saw that Gladys

I could turn you into a toad but I see someone got there before me

• Options
    Great racing all, I had a very tough day and made so many amateur mistakes, happy with 3:10:54 though image

Great to meet everyone
  • Options

As everyone else has said, a great day and nice to meet new pirates and old friends once more

A PB by 13 mins so happy with that ...all this training has done something!

I actually cleaned my bike before I let myself in the door as I knew that it just wouldn't get done otherwise

Thanks Meface and Trogs et al for your support

See you all soon    image

• Options
    Haven't cleaned my bike yet... image
  • Options
    I quite like the mucky look!  I don't wash my car either! 
  • Options
    results are up on the interweb... Results
  • Options
    Anyone got an secrets to getting mud splashes off Pirate bike tops? Been through two cold washes as it suggests on the label, one with vanish but no joy! Anyone know if it will survive a hotter wash? Cheers!
  • Options
    We use a sports wash which is 30 degrees. Try to pretreat with vanish before washing. Are you bio or non bio?
  • Options
    Mine came out fine at 40 degrees.

There are some pirates among the photos on the race website.
  • Options
    40 degrees here! How domesticated are we!!
  • Options

A really good morning out. If I ever do it again I'll bring my MTB lights, It got a little hairy on the bike leg in the fog. Though when the blue sky broke through it was great.

As I passed 10K on the first run i saw I'd broken my 10k PB. You can imagine what effect that had on the second run (extra 15 minutes). I'm a crap biker and lost a lot of places on the bike, though it was fun to whizz down some of hills at a stupid speed. Completeley wrecked on the last run, even on the back of Beachy Head marathon. Probably due to hammering the bike. Finished in 3:52:11.

It was great to meet more Pirates in the flesh, and the support was great out on the course. Wearing the pirate kit (thanks Gladys) certainly gives a boost.

• Options
  • Options
    Very excellent everyone! image I did think of you. But not at the beginning...
  • Options
    Gladys (all over!) M. wrote (see)

Yep echo BHFlyer, great racing from the pirates again. Sorry I couldn't stay with you on that last hill BH, just had nothing left. Really happy with my race, some 25 mins quicker than last year (though last year had a c.10min puncture!). Only downside was getting "bro'd" on the last hill. That hurts... Didn't see the results but no doubt Joddly and Cheerful Dave added some Pirate dazzle to proceedings. Thanks to Meface and Trogs for getting out on the course and supporting!

Only disappointment was Jaffa letting the side down badly - turning up at the finish with no teas, coffees, cakes, sweets, nothing... image

A fair point well made Gladys......... although in my defence I was caught out by the fact that I wasn't expecting you to finish for another 30 minutes or soimage

Great to see so many pirates out and looking so fresh at the finish as well,  I think more effort is required next timeimage

• Options

right, I can finally reflect on what I felt was my worst race ever, complete with way too many mistakes...

Mistake number 1 - planning life around my little brother, he didnt arrive until 11:30pm on Friday night, after a quick beer and a chat with him I didnt get to bed until 12:30am.... alarm goes, I look up and almost cried when the clock read 4:10. Half an hour of faffing and a bit of breakfast and I'm out the door to cycle across London to get on the train.

Get to Victoria station and realise I have made mistake number 2… left my water bottles and drink at home! Panic ensues before I realise I have one spare in my rucksack, then manage to get in touch with Gladys who promises he can bring another for me, along with a pump after I had broken mine the week before and not been able to get a replacement in time - cheers for that. Chatting to a nice lady on the train all of the way and then with a few others make the surreal cycle from dorking deepdane station up box hill in the dark at 6:30am. Only a 5 minute registration queue when we arrive, disapointed at the cycle jersey we get, especially as I had put small on my entry as I expected the standard cotton t shirt of which I will always get a small… but normally need a large for a cycle top - so if anybody would like a small long-sleeved BB top let me know and you can have it. Came out of registration and realise I had been lucky as the queue is mahooosive now!

Quickly take my bike to transition then head off for the obligatory pre-race toilet trip, only to find a queue longer than I have ever seen at a race. 40 minutes or so later I managed to get away back to transition, with about 6 minutes to spare before the race!!! The toilet situation was really disapointing I felt for the money being paid, and when I came out there were still about 30 people queing who I assume had to give up to start the race. Managed to get a monaco from PSC (cheers again mate) and get my kit on but rushing led to mistakes 3 and 4 simultaneiously. Forgot to have a gel before I started which I knew would leave me lacking sugar towards the end of the run, and also got to the start with 30 seconds to spare and realise I havent put my chip on. A quick sprint back to get it and I am back at the start with 3 seconds to spare, where I realise mistake number 5 has been made - I havent stretched at all, and that’s something I really need to do before running down hill!

Started the run pretty fast but started cramping in both calf's as early as mile 2 - this was going to be a tough race, all because of a lack of stretching. Tried holding pace with Cheerful Dave just in sight for the first couple of miles but those guys were just too quick for me on the day. By about mile 5 I was gagging to get to Box hill to start running up hill for a change, the downhill running in the BB is not to be taken lightly. Finished the 1st run in just under 52 minutes so actually faster than planned but felt I had overdone it as my calfs were already in agony. Had been massively overheating on the run… mistake number 6, so in T1 had to take my monaco off to remove my baselayer, I think I was the only person taking clothing off for the bike! Pleased to see not a great deal of bikes gone when I got to T1 though