Options

Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Craig

Comments

• Options

Morning peeps!

Crikey - how's everyone today?  Sounds like it's been a rocky week... 

Sam - Craig might have been a bit naughty but I swear he cruised down the finishing straight!  They were sooper dooper fun to meet up with!

What a lucky bunch we are to have found each other - am really looking forward to meeting up again and putting faces to screen-names for those I haven't met yet!

• Options

Hi SB sounds like a great day last Sunday.

Finishing work at lunch today as got a delivery coming then packing up for a long weekend in the Lakes...........getting abit nervous as not done a race since last GNR Oct. Dont do many races so really value the special atmosphere you get setting off with a crowd. Got to stick to MP as bit tired this week having gone quick last Friday doing my 15.  Looking forward to the scenery as the piccies on the website are awesome. I shall have Mrs O's name on my shirt this weekend along with Matt, Colin and John. All the best to herself this am please O.

Hope the little one is improving Craig, they soon grow up and cause you lots of love and grief along the way.

All the best to all for running on the weekend Oscarr et al and for Sam's improvement in health too.

Record month biggest sales figure ever £391.000 not bad for two of us.........

• Options

Sleepy and mcs - just read out all these posts to Mrs O (she likes that although real name is Linda) and she is touched by all the sentiments and thanks each and every one of you - she is really touched by the fact that these come from folk she has never met.  mcs shirt thingy is very touching.

Good luck to everyone racing or running this weekend - full reports after please.

• Options

Hi all - a bit all typed out after frenetic replies to the posts during my online chat this lunchtime - some quite interesting stuff on that thread. But thought I'd say hi image 

Best of luck for your races and training runs this weekend - and look out for Rosie at Reading - remembert she's meant to be going SLOW!

Annoyingly today's scan got cancelled so it's now happening next week. But Oscarr, I think your own situation puts a lot of other things in perspective. And I for one am grateful for that.

• Options
    Linda it is for the shirt then oscarr.......
  • Options

Good work today Sam!

I thought as the weather is getting warmer and the talk of fluid on some thread is becoming more of a focus I thought I would bring you to attention of some of the fluid guidelines by The International Marathon Medical Directors Association (IMMDA)who are a well recognized global group who aim to look after the health of marathon runners. I have cut and paste some of their most up to date fluid recommendation (these have not changed as far as I am aware since 2006). The real take home message is that “one size does not fit all” for fluid (nor energy in a marathon) and it is impossible to tell you how much you need for optimal performance. Here is their view point (which I agree with): “How much should you drink? Drinking too much or too little can be of risk to health and performance. Hyponatremia (low blood salt level due to abnormal fluid retention from overdrinking) and dehydration (due to net fluid losses from under drinking) are conditions easily adverted by understanding your individual body needs. Just as you have a unique face and fingerprint, your body’s need for fluid is individual as well. Body weight, gender, climate, sweat rate are just a few variables that individualize your needs” They suggest:“Try to drink to thirst. This advice seems way too simple to be true; however, physiologically the new scientific evidence says that thirst will actually protect athletes from the hazards of both over and underdrinking by providing real time feedback on internal fluid balance. If you are not thirsty, try to refrain from drinking. Do not feel compelled to drink at every fluid station nor follow the cues of other runners: their fluid needs are probably very different from your own.”             The also mention to Adjust the rate of fluid intake to race pace: slower race pace = slower drinking rate; maximum intake of 500 ml/hr for runners with greater than 5 hour finishing times (10-11 min/mile pace). Weight monitoring is also important: if you gain weight during your workout or event, you are drinking too much!
     “Runners aiming for optimal performance are advised to understand their individualized fluid needs through use of a fluid calculator (see numbered points below) but ALWAYS defer to physiologic cues to increase fluid intake (thirst, concentrated dark urine, weight loss) or decrease fluid consumption (dilute or clear urination, bloating, weight gain) while participating. It is also important to recognize that if you use this method in one climate and then travel to a different climate for your event, the humidity will change your sweat rate and therefore your fluid needs”
     Fluid calculator: to calculate sweat rate, runners/ walkers should follow these steps:
    1. Weigh nude before the run.
    2. Run/walk at race pace for one hour.  (One hour is recommended to get a reliable representation of sweat rate expected in an endurance event.)
    3. Track fluid intake during the run or walk; measure in ounces.
    4. Record nude weight after the run/walk. Subtract from starting weight. Convert the difference in body weight to ounces.
    5. To determine hourly sweat rate, add to this value the volume of fluid consumed (in Step 3). 
    6. To determine how much to drink every 15 minutes, divide the hourly sweat rate by 4.  This becomes the guideline for fluid intake every 15 min of a run.
    7. Note the environmental conditions on this day and repeat the measurements on another day when the environmental conditions are different.  This will give you an idea of how different conditions affect your sweat rate.
    To be continued...
  • Options
    I know the above seems very complicated but once done once it becomes fairly easy. I would also say that the use of sports drinks when you can at fluid stops in a marathon are going to be best option but only if you can stomach these  and ensure you use other sources of energy as most people are not going to be consuming or need 500ml of sports drink per hour which is what many would need to get sufficient carbs in so still use your gels/sweets/ other energy foods as well. Also start event hydrated, I know this sounds obviously but when travelling (often makes you dehydrated) and in different environments (and Paris may be a lot warmer than the UK) you may not be used to having to drink more so a couple of days before you leave get in the habit of drinking more throughout the day and continued regular intake of fluid right up to the start of race. The morning of this race this may be water, a hydration based drink (the electrolyte drinks  with little/no carbohydrate in them such as Lucozade  lite, SIS hydro, Powerade zero, nuun etc ) or an isotonic sports drink.
  • Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

Yea, look who's back, back again, sleepy's back, sleepy's back... *arms and hips doig a little jig* Glad to se that BT didn't let you down!

How's everyone doing?  I'm off shopping shortly with the family. Which is gonna be fun image trying the 'new' supermarket around the corner. I say new, but been open for six months, I run past it most days but never been in... Why is that??? Creature of habit I suppose.

Gonna be quick and come back later, last night's run was 5 miles slow:

1    10:11.3    1.00    10:11
    2    10:13.2    1.00    10:13
    3    10:15.3    1.00    10:15
    4    10:12.7    1.00    10:13
    5    10:08.2    1.00    10:08

Right will reply to people properly in a bit *waves*

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Today's run was tweaked (after Thursday's pace-abuse) to be 15 miles with 12 miles slow/easy and last 3 miles at marathon pace. MP for me is 9:55, so I was targeting 10:40 to 11:10 easy pace to cut myself a little slack over the hilly terrain and trail.

Overall, I'm pleased with the pacing and am hopefully back in Sam's good books image

1 10:35
    2 11:14
    3 10:47
    4 10:53
    5 10:35
    6 11:04
    7 10:45
    8 11:05
    9 10:31
    10 10:53
    11 11:10
    12 10:52
    13 9:54
    14 8:45 (mainly downhill)
    15 9:18

Although it was overcast and a little chilly over the hills, I felt comfortable. It was hard work going slow during some downhill sections, but paid dividends on the return when the uphills presented little problem. The rabbits were hiding in the warm this morning, but I scattered some deer and mara as I ran around the outskirts of Whipsnade zoo. A dog tried (and almost succeeded) to trip me. He just wanted to play, apparently.

Another enjoyable run. Gotta love the Springtime.
  • Options

Hello all

Craig - well done on the "slow" 5! enjoy the shopping!

tenso - great 15..and amamzing hills!

I did 20 this morning in 3hrs 58mins...had to walk one very big hill, tried to run the smaller hills!

Have a good afternoon everyoneimage

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Great going with the 20 MWW. When is your marathon?

I have a hill that I have to partly walk too - and it occurs early in the run. It's not very long - but it is steep! One day I'll make it to the top without walking.....

Craig - I would rather run an Ultra than go family shopping. Thankfully, a group of like-minded shopaphobics invented the internet.
  • Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Really quickly, want to wish everybody good luck for tomorrow.

Oscarr: Take Rosie down if needs be!

Things are still a bit crazy at my end... Thomas is physically better, but we're suffering with an early onset of the terrible twos...
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Sam - thinking ahead to my last long run (next week) before tapering... the RW schedule has 20 miles with 10m easy and 10m at MP. However, I really want to run 22 miles if I'm feeling up to it on the day.

What would you suggest is my best pacing strategy?

Should I reduce the amount of MP miles due to the extra total mileage, e.g. 13m easy + 9m @ MP, or even 14m easy + 8m @ MP ?

• Options

Morning all

Good luck with your running today everyone!

Ten - I am doing VLM!

My entired body is hurting todayimage 

• Options

Morning!

My copy of Sam's book didn't arrive yesterday as I'd hoped so I'm going  to be sleeping by the letterbox tonight!Just kidding but am looking forward to it...

Craig - come out of the corner and stop shaking - bad, scary shop! image

Yet another 40 minuter today for me - I've found a lovely circuit with a decent downhill on one side of the sqaure and an uphill on the way back - happy days...

Have a good Sunday all.

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    MWW - tapering for you now. The aching is your body getting stronger.

SB - sounds like you're settling in well. I want to find a route that is downhill on the way out, and downhill on the way back. A bit like those drawings of the infinite staircase (Escher, I think).
  • Options
    Good work all! I'm just waiting for my breakfast to go down before setting off on my 20 mile LSR, then the taper begins! Not long now hey MWW eek image
  • Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

Hello folks today's two hours... Only two weeks to Paris/three weeks till London/four weeks to MK.... How exciting!

1    9:42.1    1.00    9:42
    2    9:40.2    1.00    9:40
    3    9:47.4    1.00    9:47
    4    9:35.8    1.00    9:36
    5    9:37.5    1.00    9:37
    6    9:44.1    1.00    9:44
    7    9:37.7    1.00    9:38
    8    9:26.4    1.00    9:26
    9    9:20.1    1.00    9:20
    10    9:42.7    1.00    9:43
    11    9:08.6    1.00    9:09
    12    9:17.1    1.00    9:17
    13    1:29.6    0.16    9:22

Was OK, but underestimated that it's wasn't the 2 degrees on the weather forcast, so started to regret the long sleeve top, jacket, hat, gloves that I put on before goign out... But, just started to 'feel' it in my legs in the last mile or so, that begining of numbness where your legs would rather just keep doing this than anything else (that make sense or am I being crazy again??)

I'm going to avoid that particular supermarket in the future... Not naming, because I don't want to get sued... image

MWW: Great run yesterday. Sure you are feeling the benefit though? 

Oscarr: sure you would have finished Reading by now. Hope it went well. 

mcs: Good one with the sales figures and I'm going to try to get an early bird place in Brighton next year and run for Cancer Research.

Ruth: Thanks very much for the information, tried it today with my Camelbak... V good but glad I'm going to be racing with 1.5 kg of water around my waist. 

Ten: Don't listen to Sleepy, run away from the shops... they be the work of the *insert evil/mystical figure*... Too many down hills are bad for your knees too Ten image Please aren't those pictures meant to be a representation of a version of Hell?

Louisa: Hope the 20 miler goes well and you've not had any repeats of the previous 'issues'? BTW, I'm gonna be stuck to the box when that's on wondering if I can see any of you guys, 'that could be... or that one...' think OH would get sick of that quite quickly though... 

Sam, Great work with the webchat. Got into the office after you had finished, but you were keeping up and looked to have picked the best questions. Well done. Hope the scan goes well. Oh, can we start to talk about tactics and paces on race day? I'm needing to keep it going around and around in my head so I know what the plan is without thinking and can then adjust if needs be. Ta. image

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Looks like you're flying there Craig! I don't think it does any harm to be on the warm side during training for a Spring Marathon. The only marathon I ran was above 70F (20C) in April and was the first really hot and cloudless day of the year. I was not really prepared for such a dramatic change in the weather. Hopefully, this time will be different.

Regarding the pictures - I guess it depends on your interpretation. Infinite downhill = heaven and infinite uphill = hell image

• Options

Hello all
    Been out on the bike this morning 35 miles and then half hour rehab exercises. Been getting a few Reading results in from people I coach and all very happy with goals achieved image Haven't heard yet whether Oscarr had to restrain Rosie on the way round though...

Yep Craig - I thought we should have a chat this week on the phone about final pacing strategy decisions. Thursday?

Tenjiso wrote (see)
    Sam - thinking ahead to my last long run (next week) before tapering... the RW schedule has 20 miles with 10m easy and 10m at MP. However, I really want to run 22 miles if I'm feeling up to it on the day. What would you suggest is my best pacing strategy? Should I reduce the amount of MP miles due to the extra total mileage, e.g. 13m easy + 9m @ MP, or even 14m easy + 8m @ MP ?

Ten, is this final v long run 3 or 4 weeks out? If 3, I'd urge you not to do 22. If it's 4, then you'll get away with it. I think 14 and 8 will be plenty of MP for this run.

Hope your run went well Louisa!

• Options

So - week 15's training! The penultimate week of the schedule! The only change I've made from the RW Ultimate Schedule is to reduce the Sunday run by a mile giving a total weekly mileage of 23.
    As we go into this final two weeks, worth pointing out that we're just maintaining fitness now - not really building it - so if you're feeling tired, either reduce the stated session or even - shock horror! - miss it out.

Week Fifteen w/c 2/4/12  (23M)
    Mon Rest
    Tue 5M consisting of 1M jog, then 8 x 400m (or 100 secs) fast, with 200m (or 2-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog
    Wed Rest
    Thu 1M jog, then 3M brisk, then 1M jog
    Fri 4M slow
    Sat Rest
    Sun 9M steady
  • Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Sam: I've not heard from them yet either. Be good to know. 35 miles? That sounds like hard work. I should be good for Thursday, let me know what time and I'll find some time and a room.

Anyone else heard from Rosie or oscarr?
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Sam - my final long run is three weeks out from the race. You appear dead set against the idea of 22 miles - is this because it's too much to recover from within three weeks?
  • Options
    Wow...ouchey...managed the 20 miler, just...had to walk last mile though as was very stiff, but still chuffed as my longest ever run and did it in 3:53. My learnings from this weekend are that I need to eat more in more few days before the actual race and not to go out too fast in first half! Felt great in first 10 miles but then got a shock when I realised how fast I'd done it and really felt it I. The last 3 miles. But yay...longest run before the run done. Now recovering...drank pint of milk, stretched lots, had nice soak in tub and OH will soon have curried shep pie on the table for dinner.

Oh...and no 'issues' this time though I did resort to Imodium instant beforehand this time and it seems to do the trick. Hasten to add this was last resort after last few months of tweaking my diet
    utrition. Won't do that again til race day now I reckon.

Great job on your run too Craig, and everyone!

Ha ha and Craig, if you can spot us on tv on the day that'll be amazing, but just in case, I'll be the one in white cap, and white t-shirt with 'Nottingham' emblazoned across it...already decided to wear what I wore today as most comfy stuff.

Have great evenings!
  • Options

Hello all

Craig - great run, well done! Really getting close now, you will be fab!

Sam - that's a long bike ride..well done!

Louisa - great 20 miler..I have to walk a little as wel. Did my 20 miles in 3.58 yesterday. Hope you feel okay now?

• Options

Good run Craig-a-lina!

I can't stop eating today - am blaming the sudden drop in temperature - may be re-entering hibernation if it carries on!

Louisa - I'll be watching too!  

Great running all - I really can't wait to get started on my training now - you've all got me itching to go so thank you - just hope I can cope with it half as well as you lot have. 

No news here yet either - not yet resorted to other means of communication but finding it very hard not to... texting finger is twitching - really hope they've all had good weekends...

• Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    BTW: found my race gear: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/gear/gear-pick-of-the-week-asics-womens-run-brief/8130.html

Need to cut and paste... Very me, don't you think?
  • Options

Hi All - Rosie could not travel due to work commitments so did not do Reading.  My day was not good - 1:48 vs 1:46 4 weeks ago but i feel on the point of burn out which really worries me.  Fuller report on Rosie's thread.

Bo - no bloating this time from carb loading (2 days @650g per day) - put this down to getting used to drinking far more water on a daily basis over the last few weeks (about one litre on top of normal).  Use Ruth's tips in carb loading of no roughage (e.g. white bread not wholemeal, white pasta etc) and very low protein (e.g. no meat with evening meal)

• Options

Will you have CRAIG written across the back though - that's the question...

oscarr's just checked in on Rosie's thread...image

• Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Sleepy: yep. Either that or MY BUM...

Sorry to hear about the race oscarr. But read up on Rosie's thread and have to agree with Sleepy, you are still bang on for well under four. You've had no rest, taper or anything. Right in off the back of hard training. Head up man and don't beat yourself up.

Louisa: looking out for someone all in white, with Nottingham on their shirt. Good job I've got HD and V+ then! Good work on the run today. I love a pint of milk post run, lovely and got it all going on. I've not had those issues on try run, but 20/30 min later my visist to the 'quiet' room can take sometime.....

Ten: you decided what you are doing?

MWW: how you feeling now? Better?

Sleepy: the eggs are mine, I'll send my flying monkeys if I have to!!!