Options

Over 60s training.

Comments

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

All this talk of 400's made me think that I had better do some. I had no idea how they would feel etc. They were to be done on not very flat grass both in the texture of the grass and the elevation of the football pitches. 2 side go up and 2 sides come down. It is not much of a gradient, but enough to notice when doing intervals. I started each 400 with an up side and also finished with an up side, with the 2 sections of the down bits together in the middle. I don't suppose any of that makes any sense at all!

Anyway, my warm up was 18.28 mins, 1.99 miles, av pace 9.16 mm, av HR 112.

Next 5 x 400 m's, I took 1 min recovery between every interval except the 100's

1.41 mins, HR 126/144
    1.38 mins, HR 137/152
    1.38 mins, HR 141/154
    1.34 mins, HR 143/161
    1.35 mins, HR 140/152

I then didn't fancy doing any more so I played around a bit with 200's and 100's.

4 x 200 m's
    48 secs, HR 130/150
    46 secs, HR 129/146
    47 secs. HR 141/149
    44 secs, HR 130/149--I think I must have taken longer than a minute recovery for whatever reason!

3 x 100 m's
    21 secs, 118/135----these were all on one leg of the down side of pitch with walk back recoveries
    20 secs, 121/134
    21 secs, 123/138

Next I intended to finish with a 400 ran at around 3k pace. However, to my surprise my time was not too far away from the others that I had done earlier. However, my legs felt like they were going to collapse at the end of it.

I finished off with 1.55 miles, some on grass and the rest up a long hill. 14.50 mins, av pace 9.34 mm, av pace 127.

Total mileage for the session 5.73 miles.

1.39 mins, HR 138/150--yes, I was surprised.   

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Just run 8 miles with Bernard image

1:19:43
    Average Pace 9:57
    10:48
    10:01
    09:46
    09:55
    09:51
    09:46
    09:49
    09:37
  • Options
    just been watching the Cycling World Camps on the Red button.

Laura Trott will be the new star of the boards come the Olympics - and only 19 as well. The way she rode the elimination race in the Omni um yesterday was truly awesome, just knocked out her rivals one by one and then delivered today in her sprint specialities.

An interesting lesson from all the individual endurance races - those who started fast and built up a lead never lasted the distance and were overhauled as lactate build up became just too much. I will remember that in the next 5K!!!

Ceal
    glutton - after doing 5x400m you go on to do more sprint intervals!!!
    I was surprised that your avHR was higher than mine for them for the same average time effort - it must have been very uneven underfoot for that to come about image
    I read at first that you had done the 100m's on one leg!!
    Did you find the overall session harder or easier than the RS efforts- it looked pretty tough to me 'cos I couldn't have raised another sprint after mine ('course they were 0.25 mile which is way longer than 400mimage) ?

I managed to restrain my competitive instincts and let the g' kids find the eggs - well I had hid them in the first place!!

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

TS so you didn't watch the rowing then????? I heard it was a bit entertaining though race had to be restarted

Ceal nice session

I did 7.71 miles again ups and downs 1:21:41 10:41 avg

11:10
    10:41 stop to cross road waiting for Green man
    11:25 uphill
    10:21
    11:30 a few more road crossings
    10:22
    9:53 picking feet up partly uphill
    6:16 (9:43)

Legs to feel a bit now

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

TS
    I found the 400's harder than the RS treadmill work. But then I don't run for that long there. The HR of 161 I think is a blip, it comes as a spike in the middle of the run. The grass is uneven, uneven enough to be concerning at times. Also the sharp bends slow one down. One legged 100's that would be interesting. image

Just watched the Boat Race, what a farce. I feel sorry for Oxford. I do NOT want to know what the swimmer was protesting about. STUPID MANimage 

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

Pammie,
    good mileage.

Tracey too .

• Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

Yes, well done Pammie and Tracey, and a tough session from ceal too. Lots of good training going on.

Kingfishers tend to elude me too, even though I spend quite a lot of time looking for birds. They are very small so even their bright colours don't make them easy to spot when not moving.

I took part yesterday in my first race since November, an inter-club relay run alongside the Tyne just upstream from Newcastle. It's a regular Good Friday event and well-supported. We had three mens' teams and a womens'. Usually putting on a number and feeling a race atmosphere puts a spring in my step when warming up but this didn't happen yesterday so i was quite pleased with how I ran in the end. Each leg from the four runners in a team is 2.2 miles. I ran third in my team and averaged a speed of 6:52. This is 30 seconds slower than last year, but I hadn't had a break in training then. It's the same pace as two years ago when again I was running regularly. So all in all not bad at all and hopefully another step forward to normal form.

I heard someone from my club saying he should probably have warmed up as he didn't really get going until the second mile. Doh!

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

Graham
    I would say that your pace was extremely encouraging taking into consideration your present fitness etc. image.

TS
    Btw, neither of us know if we ran as far as .25 mile or indeed 400 m's. Garmin doesn't measure that distance acutately at all. Mine could have been short, certainly on a track it measures short over that distance. But in a straight line it can be  just as bad over such a short distance.image .

But of course we could both have been running longer intervals than our intentionimage

I am not too bothered either way, my effort was there and that is what counts. Of course, I would have loved them to have been faster. But I am not stressing out over it.   I must go to the track when Easter week is over and 'have a go' as they say, and see what happens there. Now I could get stressed there if my times are poor.  

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Ceal - I don't know how you do the training you do. Hope it all pays of at the end of the month.

Graham - it hard to get ones pace back, but you are doing fantastic. I have been trying to speed up my shorter distance runs ready for our clubs inter club race series that starts next month.

Can now do 8 miles at sub 10 min pace. Need to be able to do it for 10 miles as have my eye on a local 10 mile race in July.
  • Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    Tracey, I'm sure those extra couple of miles at sub-10 pace would come in a race situation. You're going really well.
  • Options
    Ceal - great workout - your speed is definitely there!
    It was a lady who looked after us.

JJ - well done to the doodle!

Graham - good effort.

No run from me yesterday, but plenty of walking, pushing 2 yr old gdaughter in the pushchair, with dog in tow. Followed by shoveling a trailer load of river pebbles into the wheel barrow, so daughter could move them to her new garden area.

Legs not sore from long run just big toe a bit sore, but just generally very tired.
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    JJ - gold bone fore doodle image
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

ceal,
    Great and tough looking workout. Do you have a target time for your 400s?

Graham,
    That is a good pace to hold over 2.2 miles and translates to a 21:20 5k as I am sure you could have hung on for another mile. It doesn't look like you have lost too much at all.

TS,
    I don't think I am ready to try a half yet, yes the distance but not the pace.

SELECTED LAP COMPARISON
            RunID                          Lap     Duration      Miles Per Mile   AWHR  MWHR  Cadence  Slength(m)
    2012-04-05T15:17:55ZG      07       01:44      0.25     07:01       74.8        84.4       94.0       1.2
    2012-04-05T15:17:55ZG      09       01:44      0.25     07:05       73.5        85.7       92.0       1.2
    2012-04-05T15:17:55ZG      11       01:42      0.24     07:11       74.1        85.7       93.0       1.2
    2012-04-05T15:17:55ZG      13       01:42      0.25     06:55       74.1        87.1       94.0       1.2
    2012-04-02T17:29:08ZG      07       01:40      0.24     06:59       78.9        87.8       95.0       1.2
    2012-04-02T17:29:08ZG      09       01:41      0.24     07:08       76.2        89.1       93.0       1.2
    2012-04-02T17:29:08ZG      11       01:41      0.25     06:50       76.9        90.5       96.0       1.2
    2012-04-02T17:29:08ZG      13       01:42      0.24     07:04       76.9        90.5       96.0       1.2

The above is just the short pickups from the last 4 sessions and you can see the pace is not there and my HR is too high so more work to do.
    I am ready to try some 400 intervals so weather cooperating I will try it next week

5k recovery yesterday and a 16k LSR today with tomorrow as a rest.

• Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

JJ, sounds like a very nice run today. Can you run off-road more or less from your home? If so I'm envious as it means a drive for me. Not a long drive but not like setting off from the house and not bothering with the car.

How many here are lucky enough to be able to run off-road routes from home? Half-a-mile or so on roads first wouldn't really matter I suppose.

Mick, not sure about keeping the pace up for another mile - I was pretty spent. Do you have any races pencilled in, HM or otherwise?

• Options
    JJ - You could solve the mouldy tuna sandwich problem once and for all by awarding it to the doodle for her pb, she'd surely prefer it to the gold bone. image

al
  • Options
    Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭

Ceal--Awesome workout there ceal it really was

Graham-Looking good for you,do you have any races in mind?

JJ-Nice of road run for you with nice array of plant life,i must take more notice myself when running off road

Tracey-Good run from you

nrd for me will just do 4.5 miles round horse trails woods tomorrow

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

Happy Easter Day.

busbar
    AAAAAARRRR cuteimage

Graham
    Yes, it is  about 60 m's from the house to get to a trail. But the trail is stony. I also have about 3 or even 4 different football pitches about 6+ mins run from the house. BUT all the pavement runs are very hilly.

Mick6
    do you mean a 400 training target or a race target. I do race 400 but usually just for points. I have only ever raced a 400 flat out. I normally have other races to do afterwards and if one races 400 flat out there is nothing left in one's legs for much else. It is the one race that takes all from one. But if you mean a training 400 then I expect I would like to run  1.30 min one, but I don't anticipate being able to achieve that time any more, but that doesn't stop me from trying!

NZC
    Sorry, I was mixing up the 74yr old gentleman with your marathon lady. Not surprised you are feeling tired.

JJ
    Great news that the calf is ok.   

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

A bit of a damp run this morning. I ran 6.83 miles easy in 64 mins, av pace 9.28 mm, av HR 120, MHR 132. It wa an undulating run with a long hill to get home again. I ran a couple of the k's on  grass.

I almost managed to make my target of 25 miles for the week, 24.95 miles. It will do!!!

Family coming for roast lunch tomorrow, I will do the leg of lamb with prunes/garlic/rosemary/anchovies/pancetta again.  

• Options

good day

Graham
    excellent result from your first race back. To go sub 7m/m by quite a bit is super though stretching it out for longer may have been a bit problematic - it's the endurance that goes so quickly and is hardest to build back up
    My nearest footpath is 100 yards from the drive gates - there are four more footpaths within 1/4 mile. Once on them the distance one can run is limited only by one's ambition and legs - see below!!
    One footpath is the Ringway Path around Harrogate and Knaresborough - 25+ miles all off road and through some very scenic, but very hilly country. I ran it once some 25 years ago - I may not do it againimage

Mick6
    The reps are very consistent but I see what you mean about the HR. It can be difficult to get the HR to respond to higher level aerobic work when one has spent a long time on steady aerobic work. It's one of the reasons why I have introduced intervals so early in my comeback - to try and retain that HR flexibility that I show when first running again.

JJ
    nice to be out there at this time of year - before the flies appear!!!

Busbar
    were they seen on your run yesterdayimage ??

Tracey
    your running is coming on very well - really consistent faster pacing!!

Ceal
    It wasn't a criticism of your efforts - rather the other way round!! I simply couldn't imagine myself doing more sprint intervals after my recent 440's and there you were sailing through some more shorter, faster stuff !!

Set off this morning in dull, cool, overcast conditions which progressively brightened and became quite pleasant.
    My mind was elsewhere at the start and before I realised it the autopilot had selected Sunday, long run, footpath to the west and there I was 50m up it before realising what I was doing. Oh well, might as well carry on...........................................
    I had forgotten just how tough this route can be - 5 miles of steady up varied only by some slight level or downslopes before blessed relief for a mile or so.

7.69 miles done in 70:27 (9:10m/m) with avHR 135 (69%WHR) and a max of 149 as I determinately kept it aerobic

1m 9:54 avhr124 all uphill on rough path
    2m 10:12 avhr134 all uphill through the beech woods on rough path
    3m 8:58 avhr135 bit of tarmac path uphill
    4m 8:50 avhr137 nice country lane uphill mainly
    5m 9:06 avhr139 ditto
    6m 8:14 avhr135 yippee - downhill
    7m 8:42 avhr138 more downhill then start of Hipps Hill
    .7m 6:27 avhr144 - rest of it - that's enough!!

More than I planned to run but no damage done - I think!!

• Options
    Ceal

nice way to round the week off - both the easy, hilly run(??) and the mealimage . Enjoy

I found that I had surprisingly crept over 30 miles this week - 30.2 in all thanks to the extra recovery loop I did after the intervals!!!

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

Graham impressive come back sure it will come back just keep on with the training

Apparently in our local off road areas there are supposed tobe kingfishers i'll have to keep a lookout

Ceal

Are you learning to love the hills? Good run today

I woke today early for me 8:30 but didn't get out to run till gone 11. Had the idea as its Easter Sunday the big shopping centre will be closed which meant one of the road crossings will have minimal traffic so thought i do my as near damn it 5km (3.08 miles)

Last did it on March 3rd guesstimate time on analogue watch 29 minutes aiming to beat that today but of course it might have taken me more than 29 minutes dead.

In hindsight i shouldn't have run 7.71 miles yesterday or cycled 16½ the day before but i did it in 29:59 happy with that

10:07
    10:00
    9:08

42 secs

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    TS
    I didn't take it as criticism at all. You just made me think about what I had done. Surprisingly it is my quads that are stiff this morning, hamstrings and Gluts are well worked but not stiff.  Your run was a big jump in distance and uphill quality. The av HR v pace wasn't too bad at all,  I think your hard work is paying off slowly.   That was a swift finish to the last downhill section.

I have showered etc and now need to do my Dettlebell  DVD/ I have left the typo because I corrected the spelling twice and it kept coming out the sameimage.
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Went out for a 7.32 mile cycle think m legs benefited from it
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

Graham,
    yes I have a 5k early May. A flat and fast course so I should have no excuses.

ceal,
    I meant training target. 1:30 is quick but I would think appropriate for your short distance races. As I am focused on the half I have found McMillan to be very accurate. He suggests 1:35ish for a sub 1:40 and that has worked very well for me.
    Nice to have so many choices out of your home. After 20 years I have got very bored with what I can run out of the house. I usually run out of the gym where I run mostly on trails by water.

TS,
    That is a big jump in miles but obviously well within your capabilities. It is good to see you coming back so strong, for a while there I began to think that it may have been all over.
    I agree with your point about all of the long slow running and know that I have a number of weeks ahead of me of short fast intervals before I will have the pace for the longer intervals and tempo. I doubt very much that I could have jumped into fast intervals with the pickup phase. Too much of an injury risk for me.

Long run went well yesterday but I need a rest day today.

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Happy Easter everybody.

(Have had both wine and chocolate today, - first of either since the beginning of Lent - absence makes the heart grow fonder!)

There is one x-country run I can do almost from the door, - about two minutes of road and I'm on one end of it; or 20 minutes and I'm on the other. Lots more possible x-c, but they start further away. Lots of "empty" land here, criss-crossed by footpaths, but often when you get to it you can't be at all sure where the footpath is. What I really need to do, is do it first as a walk, taking the large-scale local map with me - and maybe even a compass. When I've succeeded in working out where it is, I can do it as a run without the map. 

Should really have been a long run yesterday but didn't feel at all like it (having had a peculiar night awake for a long time, then went back to a sleep which was so dream-filled I needed to wake up for a rest). So I just ran to the lake, once round it trying to maintain a fastish speed (which turned out to be a little over 10mm, over .71 of a mile) and back home. Not sure whether to call that a mini-tempo or a maxi-fartlek.

Busbar - loved the Easter bunnies! 

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭
    Away for a few days from tomorrow, visiting friends in Princes Risborough area where we used to live.
  • Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

Columba, I was born and brought up in Beaconsfield, so not far away. Have a nice time.

Busbar, there are three summer evening 10Ks I usually do and a 10 miler in early September. Other than those I'd like to try one or two races I haven't done before, just for a change.

I went for a 6.7 mile slow run today. I passed a couple of young lasses walking along and one shouted "Do you like running?". I shouted back "Yes, I guess I must do" only to get the reply "But you're skinny already!". No malice at all as far as I could tell, just genuine puzzlement why an old thin bloke should want to be out running.

Nearly twisted my ankle on a curb near home on the way back. Careless!