Options

Dukeries Ultra - 26 May 2012

Comments

• Options

i think i'll be in trail shoes of some kind, it is a weakness that i have a selection to choose from on the day - i use fastwitch4s for anything on the road (even on trail sometimes) but the holes in the soles are not great in water ! i wont have seen any of the route so hope i dont get too lost

• Options
    clairsterclairster ✭✭✭

thanks rocker image I am really looking forward to WP, its my fave. Would like to have done the 40 at dukeries but am trying to be sensible image

• Options

Clairster - I'm wishing I hadn't changed up to the 40, originally entered the 30 first....

Come and join the dark side, what's another 10 miles between friends?!?!

• Options
    clairsterclairster ✭✭✭

rocker - lol, shhhsshh. I have to be sensible, target race of the year is a couple of weeks after dukeries (52M in the mourne mountains)..I am happy to be reckless and over book most races/weekends, but not right now image

• Options

Clairster - with that as a reason i'll let you off! You're way more experienced than me then - this is my first ultra....

• Options
    clairsterclairster ✭✭✭

thanks rocker image and lol at experienced, foolish is a word that I find more fitting image

• Options

getting excited / scared, making malt loaf ready for next week too. Think I may stick to trail shoes I run in saucony both off and on road due to v wide feet. I have no idea how long this may take, as long as I finish by sunset? image 

• Options
    Lots of talk about being slow......

Just be careful at the start. I went out to run the course on Sunday, the first few miles WILL feel very easy. Good trails, even a nice downhill bit, but take your time, save your energy. There isn't really anything steep, but there are some loonnnng slow grinding inclines. Pace these well and you will have plenty of energy for the end and probably finish faster than you thought!

Working on final race details this week. Just trying to confirm the Elkesly loop for the 40 milers. Water is draining slowly, so fingers crossed!
  • Options

Yes tis becoming exciting indeed, seems an age since my last Ultra (Jan 2012). As ever thought / hoped / wished I would be in better shape than I am, still nowt I can do about that now, so taper it is. Big smiles here as this one is just 20 mins from home so whatever state I manage to get myself in a nice soak and home cooked food will be on hand in no time at all.

• Options

I am really looking forward to the Dukeries. No watch, gamin and no plan, looking to run by feel and hoping that we might have some sunshine to run in image For me this event starts at 30 miles if doing the 40 mile run. Want to pace myself to finish the last 10 miles at a slightly faster pace than the first 30.

I am driving down from the North East so is going to be around 2.5 hour drive to the start line.

• Options

Clairster - I think foolish is definitely the way to go - otherwise we wouldn't be running at allimage

I'm really looking forward to this now, and a bit nervous, my first ever ultra etc - don't think i've done enough training but hey ho, too late now!

I'm staying at Clumber Park caravan site, which we run straight by - so if you see a short lady with a gorgeous Border Collie, say hello Piper and he'll wag his tail image

• Options
    Early start for you Tim! I'm coming down from the north east too but have took the easy option and booked a room the night before. Unlikely to get much sleep the night before so wouldn't cope with doing it as a oner.

First ultra for me so lots of decisions, at the moment I'm thinking trail shoes, hydration bladder and a drop bag packed with lots that probably won't get used!
  • Options

Hi Andy, I am based in Washington. Where abouts are you based:?

I am sure you will enjoy the run. Playing with and choosing all the equipment is all part of the funimage

• Options
    Hi Tim I'm near Gateshead stadium. I noticed from the website you're also a member of Nemc. I think there's at least 4 of us going down for this one, I'll look out for you.

I originally signed up to this one as a training run for The Wall Run , but I think I'm looking forward to this one more now!
  • Options

Yes I i decided not to enter the wall run,as too much road. I am going to do Hardmoors 60 later in the year instead.

Yes I have just joined NEMC image

• Options

I'm coming down from newcastle myself.

Are you doing the club Druridge Bay marathon this weekend? If so, I'll see you when I hand the numbers out.

About time you got entered for Hamsterley too image

• Options

I am not entered for Drudridge Bay I only just joined the club about 4 weeks ago and noted all the marathons they are hosting. I did the MOTN so resting my legs this weekend. I am doing local pier to pier event in South Shields on Sunday, this is a big race for my club Sunderland Strollers. Hamsterley is too close the Chevy Chase and that is one of my focus races for this year, I have unfinished business with the descent on Chevio and ascent on Hedgehop!

I have entered the Northumberland coastal marathon though image I will plan my enteries better for next year to run more NEMC events though.

• Options
    I'm based near penshaw monument what is the NEMC?

First ever long run for me so I'm getting a bit apprehensive. Only entered as I'm running the wall to raise funds for a disability sports group.

Overweight and not overly fit don't make a good combination for ultra!

To late to back out now though......
  • Options

Did a bit of a recce this morning - ran the main loop, just under 20m. Lovely picturesque route through the English country, accompanied by the sound of birdsong. Conditions pretty good underfoot - just a few muddy bits. Could have just about got away with road shoes - but I'll definitely be going trail shoes. Tried out my new Hokas today - very comfy image

Nav was pretty easy with map in hand, but would have been pretty tricky without a map - the RH way signs are quite hard to spot and not always there (as far as I could see!) Got a bit muddled in Cresswell Crags otherwise OK

Surprisingly sunny until I caught in a torrential monsoon-like shower near the hand - got severely pelted by hail stones!

• Options
    Going ultra - Nemc is north east marathon club. Organise a series of low cost scenic marathons in the area including a free members marathon. Have a look at the website. I think it's only about 8 pounds a year to join.
  • Options
    NEMC. is North East Marathon Club. They arrange great local Marathons image Sunderland Strollers my running club train on Penshaw every Monday night.

Looking forward to meeting up with everyone before the race.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info.

Typical I work Monday evenings so can't come along to the Sunderland strollers.

Will be good to meet some other local runners at dukries
  • Options

thanks for update Rich1, hope the map part isnt too bad. i think i'll be in my new balance but tempted to also try the Hokas (just got a pair) as my knees are quite banged up from too much on the road

• Options

I am in this race now!

Should be good to kick off the summer ultra running season with!

• Options
    Nice one, Ben - see you there
  • Options

Hi Rich,

I am planning to arrive at around 08:00 to register and get ready for the run. Is that ok or do I need to be there for a specific time for a race briefing etc?

Thanks,

Tim

• Options
    Rich1 - Nice going on the recce, glad you liked the route. We are just putting finishing touches to final race details with a route description. Was there anywhere in particular you struggled with for nav? Going through the fields in Welbeck confused me the first time I went round as they only allow the County Council blue bridleway signs

Tim - registration will be open from 7:00 til 8:45. We will then have a race briefing on the start line and a quick photo session with the local papers.

The race WILL start at 9am.

See you all there image
  • Options

Looking forward to this one. Never been to Sherwood Forest so I am hooing it will be fantastic scenery. Over 40 miles should get to see a lot. Sounds like the trails are fairly solid without too much mud so light trail shoes should be ok. Any advice/local knowledge would be welcome. Cheers Ian

• Options

Sherwood is lovely done a few 10kms at sherwood pines, good to see there are a lot of first timers as well so I won't be on my own, how many are running it now? Am going to wear trail shoes regardless of weather. Early start with a 9am start but that means more recovery time. Does anyone know if we want the massage guy after whether we need to book in? Just because I am running the following day (owch)

• Options

fingers crossed for the weather, it will determine whether I go with a hydration pack (and space for extra layer) as normal or just risk it and go with a water bottle