Options

Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Options

Welcome Benjys dad !!

Finally broke the century today with a 6.8 run to give me 104 so far for month - 8 to go for target

On my virtual tour I am at Dunbar, still to go through Eyemouth then on to Berwick Rangers Ground, the first on my list - in 28 miles time

• Options

Nice little stretch today....not long to go!! image

2014 - 23.1

• Options

Hiya Benjys Dad, welcome - feel free to contribute as much or as little as you like - feel free to offer opinions, ask question share your views - I think we are all a pretty friendly bunch on here.

330 the instructions are two heaped table spoons.

Blimey B2B is it Saturday?

• Options

B2B - Didn't realise it was this week !!

Cheers Grendel

• Options
    Hello BenjysDad , welcome aboard !

Only 3 more days before I can get the runners back on . I am moaning about my 2 week injury and Benjys dad has been out for 2 years. Puts my little niggles into perspective. Good luck mate , slow and steady.
  • Options

Welcome BenjysDad well done for getting back out there 

Well done 330 what a great month for you 

DS just take it slow we don't want you to lose out on any more running

Went out with B2B for a nice 3.5 miles just to give the legs a final stretch before his little run at the weekend.......its getting exciting now all the plans are made image

January 39.68 

• Options

I have been thinking about taking up running for some time but don't know where to start. About 11 years ago I suffered injury in a traffic accident which has left me with long term lower back and sciatic problems. 

I was recently told by a physio at my local hospital to give up smoking and do more exercise but I'm concerned that the stress of running could cause more pain.

any help/advice  on how to start and how to avoid injury and back pain will be much appreciated. 

• Options

Hi Andy

Have a look at a C25K plan (couch to 5k) and good luck

• Options

Hey andyhux welcome! We have loads of advice on here if you have a read back over some of the thread image Best advice really is take it slow and maybe start out with some long brisk walks and as 330 says maybe check out a 5k plan.

Yep its this saturday!! well at least the weather is....er.....lashing it down! image Ive given in to this one being a "fun" run. I will be happy just to finish given the conditions, not sure how much of it I will be "racing".

Pretty sure it is going to be re routed so it maybe 44ish miles instead and a lot of it road

• Options

Thats a shame B2B - as not quite the same as a 50 mile trail race especially as you are mentally gearing up for the challenge.

Struggling wih the schedule a bit - 6 miles this morning incorporating 4-5 hills of between 2 and 3 minutes in duration. Found one that was pretty much 2 minutes and bits -  5 didn't seem enough so presumably I wasn't runnng them fast enough  so I did 6!!!  Tomorrow is a 4 miler which again doesn't sound much - but in total with a 15 Sunday I should hit 35 miles - (a rest day Friday!!)

• Options

Grendel - one of the things I actually quite like about ultra running is you can never fully prepare for what is going to happen! You can do all the training, study the route, run the route and then it all changes! Or for some reason things don't go to plan on the day, kit problems, food problems, mental problems! It could all happen but that's part of the fun! image I had already made my mind up that this one, no matter how long, im going to try and push a little harder as I know what it feels like to run far now. Mostly I just want to have fun, its an adventure for me, a cold, wet, muddy adventure! image

Grendel - It sounds like your pretty tired from all the mega miles, the rest days and good food should hopefully start kicking in soon image

If anyone wants to follow I shall be tweeting, maybe not much but tweeting. You can follow me @cardiosaurus or search for cardiosaurus on facebook and it will be the same feed as I have them linked image

• Options
    Hi BenjysDad, welcome to the thread. All the best with your return to running. Feel free to ask questions and make suggestions. Ps...I don't think I'll ever be ready for running tights.

Andyhux, welcome to you too. As the others say, take it slow, walk breaks are a great way to ease yourself into running. I smoked the old cancer tabs (ex smokers are always the worst aren't they!) for around twenty years. Quit 5 or 6 years ago and haven't missed them one bit. Stick with it, it's a complete lifestyle change but worth all the hard work.

Well done on the century 330. I aim to join you by the end of the week.

B2B, enjoy! Great photo by the way.

Ms, averaging over a mile a day, you have come a long way. Good for you.

Ds, I bet you can't wait. Just take it easy.

Missed my alarm this morning so an unplanned day off for me. Will run tomorrow morning instead and Friday pm. Actually enjoying the easy week. I can tell I'm rested by my cruising speed on my commute to work. Good stretch tonight, maybe some kettles and all set for the morning.

Happy running everyone...
  • Options
    Take the easy 4 miles miles just as it says Grendel, nice and easy. Enjoy the rest days and if you really do have itchy feet go for a walk? Just wear walking boots or wellies, then you won't be tempted to run! Some light cross training or strength training would also help if you want to feel like you're doing something on rest days.
  • Options

B2B: don't talk about tweeting... i'm tempted to update my running thread when doing the wall later in the year... Still plodding along etc... image

• Options

booktrunk - my problem is either tweeting too much and killing my battery or forgetting till my tweet is random like "22.46 miles, just passed a sheep" image

• Options

I do live follow, so that's fun, so people can see where you are image then you go in a signal dead spot and have a long delay.

embarrassing when you need a rest break and those following can see you have diverted into a bush.

• Options

AM all over the place on Saturday, so will have to catch up where possible B2B but will be trying my hardest.

JR - am replacing my Friday run with a swim from now on - whether that will be every week or every other week - time will tell.

• Options
    Lol Booktrunk, I can see it now..."JR, you've been under that bridge for 5 minutes!". Hope to be home Saturday B2B so will do my best to follow your progress. Good luck.

Glad to hear it Grendel, it can only have a positive effect on your long term goals.
  • Options

Thanks all for the friendly welcome !

3 miles at monolithic pace - only stopped once to dry my headphones when the rain got so hard they kept falling out of my ears image  Picked a great day to break out the lycra again !

Everything hurts today - bit worried about the twinges in my left knee but not going again till Sunday to give it plenty of time to recover so fingers crossed !!

• Options

Good luck B2B! Hope you enjoy it regardless of what you're met with along your route!

Well done everyone else on your running!

Welcome BenjysDad and Andyhux!

Dragged myself out in the rain tonight. Only managed 5.94miles as it just got too dark too quickly tonight. Had to stop after 20mins for a stretch which helped massively so I might have to start doing that more often. Was slower than normal but least I went. Role on a better run on Friday.

• Options

Welcome BenjysDad and Andyhux.

Usual route tonight so another 2.3 miles. Went over half a minute quicker without doing much different so natural progression by the looks of it.

Time to add a bit more distance now.

2014 - 13.7

• Options

B2B - Am at Ibrox Saturday but will follow you as best I can - good luck

Am so tired this month with my biggest month since 2006, only managed 4.5 but still on for my month target with just 3 miles to go.

But, I am eating for Scotland ! I had a massive bowl of pasta and meatballs around 7 then 2 slices of toast at 10 !!

• Options

Well done for keeping it going Beachball -

330 do they still get the large crowds at Ibrox?

Even if I had wanted to, I only did the scheduled 4 this morning due to 'nodding' off again. When I woke 4 was pretty much all I had time for.

Rest Day and swimming tomorrow.

• Options

Thanks for all the good luck folks! Pretty sure it is going to be the revised route, might be a little bit more tricky on the navigation now and will have to keep the map handy! 

• Options

As long as the Thames is the right side of you wou'll be OK B2B

• Options

the problem is we are not really following it that much anymore! I shall post a garmin of last year in a bit....be right back....

Found it! image

http://connect.garmin.com/course/5411136

• Options

Grendel - yes 41k last week, couple of sell outs last season as well. Normally around 43-47k

Tremendous crowds for where Rangers are just now in the third tier.

Rest day for me, then just 4 tomorrow to complete my months target and 8 Saturday to start February off on the in the right vain !!!

• Options

Cheers B2B - will havea look later - 

To be honest 330 - another 2 years and they will be back where they belong.

• Options
    Must be fantastic for the small teams 330. Will catch up later, 5.46 this morning. Felt great.
  • Options

Grendel - oh yes for sure already 20 points clear on dropped 2 points all season

JR - Yes it is considering they all have full time jobs as well as playing football,