Options

Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Options

330 heres hoping!

Grendel - oooo throwing down a challenge? image Go on Mummysaurus, book it! image moooha ha haaaa *stirs the pot* image

• Options

330, i'm also a lone runner. Very rarely do the wife and I get to run together although we are both doing the Grizzly, my training runs are usually dark with no street lights and just my head torch for company. I love my Sunday runs when I get to wait for the light!  Grendel is another lone ranger but I guess that's what makes this thread so important to me. It's you guys and girls that keep me going. Without this thread to motivate me i'd never keep going.When I started the thread my dream was a marathon, I still haven't achieved that dream nearly 3 years later but in less than 2 weeks will complete my first 20 mile run.

Ms......Do it!!!! image

Feb – 38.78

2014 – 139.17

• Options

JR - this forum keeps me going as well !!

This months been a disaster but March will be better

• Options

MS/B2B love the run stories, they sound like fun! Wish I could join you both!

MS - do it!!

Also a lone runner...have no running friends..almost got sister in law into running but she decided to do bootcamp every weekday morning for the mo to lose weight first before taking up running..hey ho..

Went out tonight for 5.3miles, same pace as yesterday so still feeling good..although my hip was hurting..strange as its not hurt for years..could be coinciding with my pelvis hurting again so more reason for me to do my strengthening exercises!! Still, it was sunny, not dusk or dark, so I enjoyed the run none the less! image

• Options

Well done for getting out Lisa, I sometimes think you sometimes need to ignore the incidental pains - otherwise we spend more time off than running - of course other people (not me obvisously) need to listen to their bodies and take a sensible approach rather than just ploughing on and ignoring -

The weather has turneds again after a few dry days, the wind coming in off the sea this morning was most unpleasant - ad that to the mexican chilli bean bite things that fromed part of my dinner last night and it was a pretty interesting run - Although I did the same route as Tuesday, the couple engaged in early morning car nooky were not there today - must have found somewhere to go where a runner doesn't go 'thundering past'  and then run past again!!!! Not sure if that makes me a running dogger!!!!

• Options
    Hi all I have just started running this morning. Did 2 miles 23 minutes later. Well I say running it was more walking. 1 minute run 2 minute walk. Have not run since 2000 when I Did comrades marathon.

My goal is to do comrades marathon again. So have a long long way to go.
  • Options

Grendel - Thank you for the Southend info and the encouragement guys and in true B2B fashion 'Challenge Accepted' I will sign up for it as soon as it's open for business image and if I can get B2B to sign up maybe we can encourage a few others to join us and make it a SAFTB and Monkey Tag meet up....................

I know I am lucky running with B2B once a week, but I do the rest of my runs on my own so sort of understand how lonely it can be for those of you that never have anyone else to run with, maybe doing a few parkruns would lead to finding others in your own areas that you could get together with?

Lisa - Hope the hip feels better soon.....glad you like our running tales and you would be more than welcome to join us anytime you want to head out our way...........how do you fancy doing the Southend 10k too?

Brad123 - Welcome and well done for getting started again, you will get loads of support on this thread

Rest day for me today but hoping to do Pilates or Deep water aerobics tonight if they don't flippin cancel them AGAIN!!!!!! if not then its time to hit the spin bike I think

• Options

It would be good to meet up Mummy - the entries usually open June/July time so will keep an eye and let you know. It is a massive (for a local) 10K usually in INXS of 1000 runners - and has been going for more close to 30 years -

Welcome Brad - along way to go - but you have come to the right thread - sounds like you have quite a background - I am sure you and B2B will have a few thoughts on how to run ultras!!!!

• Options
    Mummy- Thanks for the welcome

Grenade- Thanks for the welcome. It a long time since I did a ultra. And was a bit younger. First goal is 5k with out walking. Going to take it slow at first.
  • Options

Thats the idea, I think taking it slow (and continuing to be slow is the way forward!!!)

• Options

Hey Brad, welcome aboard! image oooooh comrades eh?! NICE! image Good on ya for getting back into it again. Spot on for taking it slow, just enjoy the come back.

Im always about if you have any questions and please share your advice with everyone as well image

• Options

ooo er! Just saw the bit about Southend....im up for a meeting, who`s in?! image

• Options
    B2B- Thanks. Have got a very long way to go.

Got a question am a cyclist. Still want to keep cycling. Just not as much as I have been doing. I know it not the same muscles but will it help?
  • Options

Cycling is a great way of mixing up the muscle groups and it really helps with hill climbing when you are running image 

• Options

Lol Grendel running dogger!!

When is the Southend 10k usually MS? Providing it doesn't clash with any of my other races booked I think I could do it, it's over the bridge, about an hour away from me so it's not unfeesable! Would love to meet my virtual running chums! image

Welcome Brad! Good to have a goal to keep you motivated!

• Options

WOW this could get really exciting.......Lisa, Grendel is going to give us the heads up on exactly when but it looks like first half of October going by previous years dates sign up should be June/July ish..........Grendel hadn't thought about how many enter lets just hope I can finish anywhere but last 

Brad looks like Parkrun could be a good place for your to start

• Options

Crikey Charlie I can't keep up with this thread.

just thought I'd give you a laugh...

I went for a short run this morning.....just a couple of miles. Got home and looked in my inner pocket of my shorts for my key and the pocket was empty.

i headed back out for 1/2 mile desperately looking for a key. After around 3/4 of a mile I instinctively touched where the key should be and it was there. I was confused until I realised it wasn't in the inner pocket of my shorts but the inner pockets of my running tights.

Yep, the running tights with shorts is a whole other thread I know. I just don't feel my long stemmed mushroom should be on show.

• Options

Agree Grendel, little niggles need to be kept an eye on but if we stopped running at the first ache we’d never get out. Some pain can be ignored, your head gives in long before your body. When it gets worse however, its important to deal with it. Running dogging lol…..now that’s something for Channel 4!

Hi Brad123, welcome to the thread. I’ve read a few stories about the Comrades, that’s some achievement. All the best of luck on your return to running.  I cycle daily to work and it’s a great non impact exercise which will boost your general fitness.

Ms, well done on taking the plunge! I’m going to try my best to get a few park runs in during the summer.

Southend 10k sounds great but wrong side of London for me I’m afraid? image

Lol Ed, I don’t own any running tights but if I did they would have a pair of shorts over them. There are plenty of threads on here debating the shorts over the top conundrum but I think one word sums it up perfectly…..modesty!

• Options

Aww guys, am a bit envious of this Southend 10K thing, would love to have come along to that !! Could be a good choice for your race debut Mummy

Brad, welcome - had a guy at my old running club done Comrades every year (he was from SA) that's some goal to have to do it again, good luck on your comeback

Grendel - Laughed at that "Running dogger" poor couple probably been having nooky there for years until you came running past!!

B2B - Theres your next challenge - Comrades !!

No run again today - gotta get the enthusiasm back, day off tomorrow so excellent opportunity to get out

• Options
    Thanks all for the welcome.

Did another 2 miles run home Last night 2 minute run 2 minute walk 25 minute later got home. First day done. Enjoy my run home.

Legs a bit sore this morning. Jump on the bike and rode hard to work.
  • Options

Rest Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well done Brad123

• Options

Ed68 - ha ha ha long stemmed mushroom! ha ha ha I also wear loose shorts over the top of my Skins shorts image

Nice one Brad! image

330 - hmm maybe Comrades one day when I run out of cool stuff in the UK image

Well I used my way of thinking last night....when life hands you lemons....eat the damn lemon! After all its only a lemon! image

Went out and power walked a 10k in 1:37:55!!! That will do me! image Im only 5`7! image

Hamstring and knee didnt like it at the time but my legs feel ok now!

Working on a battle plan for TP100, try and get 70 done in 16 hours meaning that I if I had to I could walk the rest I could still MAYBE get a sub 24!! image 

• Options

Not been a great month due to illness robbing me of the majority of my planned miles but onwards and upwards, March can only be better!

Out for an easy 5 1/2 today. Hip flexor a bit tight afterwards but I did go a bit quicker than planned (avg 9:40) so a good stretch is in order.

It's the weekend!!!!! imageimageimageimageimage

Feb – 44.35

2014 – 144.74

• Options

70 in 16 is quite hard B2B but then again you can do 50 around 10 can't you? so that's reasonable, but as lots say 20m is halfway in a marathon I wonder if the same applies for 75 or so in a 100, or if it's like hell after 75 the next 25 are a doddle i'll get there come what may image

You'll have to tell us.

I'm becoming more convinced over time that even pacing and saving energy seems to make sense. Either that or go flat out and just hang on in there at the end.

• Options

Nice to see everybody getting in some good runs even around illness and injury, as you say JR March can only get better 

3.2 miles for me today on the treadmill and just missed my PB by a whisker image Just added up my miles and found I had added a run twice so corrected that which now gives me 

February 30.70

2014 - 70.38 

• Options

Booktrunk - I can get a flat 50 done in under 12 so that gives me another 4 hours to cover 20, leaving me with 8 hours to plod a 50k image 

• Options

Mummy thanks for the Parkrun never heard of then.  Got one just up the road from me image.  Will go and trying them out soon.   

• Options

Booktrunk - even pace for sure! Heading out like a rocket is asking for trouble in an ultra. You can spot the folks doing their first one, they are either still at the aid station back at 30 or walking like ducks holding their stomachs at about mile 33 image Im working towards averaging about 12-13 m/m. Its not fast for anything other than an ultra, but a 12 m/m over 100 miles would give you around a 20-22 hour finish!! Not to shabby at all! image

• Options

Ms, more than a mile a day on average, good going!

Booktrunk B2B, even pacing for sure, makes sense. There isn't a world record in existance that wasn't made with a negative split.

• Options

Final run of a disappointing month.

5.78 today gonna build slowly so 7 max tomorrow

Feb 60.70

2014 174.26

Already 54 miles behind schedule to hit my year target

Good running all keep it going

Lisa if you read this good luck for Sunday