Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Cheers for the reply and thoughts, Panda, much appreciated. I honestly and truthfully will not be racing the parkrun, just a gentle, very very slow  and light three miles to get some fresh air and the chance to experience and tick off a parkrun I otherwise wouldn't have done. I'm no fast runner or ultra training, hoping to dip under four hours (for the marathon, not the parkrunimage).

As for chilling out, it's no coincidence I chose the Manchester marathon which is the same weekend as my beloved Spurs play away at Wigan! Looking forward to this weekend a lot.

• Hi Lee!  Ah, you will be able to indulge in plenty of pies at Wigan to carbo load the day before thenimage!

Fair enough.....I still wouldn't do it, but then, I am the person who will refuse to even jog in a race until my foot goes over that first timing mat....so paranoid am I about taking anything out of my legs the day beforeimage.  If you are adamant to do it then I would do Wythenshawe out of the ones you mention.

Anyway, I hope you do well and you win at the footie!

Panda

• Yes, a pie lunch will certainly complement the pasta dinner. I'll be good and leave the liquid refreshments to water only. Just looked and South Manchester is Platt's Field Park. Wythenshawe looks as though it may be a tad too out the way. Cheers again.

• That's Fallowfield I think?

It is flat there as well, so you should be ok.  Where are you staying?

panda

LOL...It will kill you not to have a pint with that pie!!image

• Fallowfield, that's the one. Phew, good to hear it is flat.

Oh, it will. I'm a real ale fan so it will kill me knowing there's lots of beers around that I've never tried. I'm staying Sunday night too so I can hold off until then and feel like I've properly earnt it.

I'm staying by Salford Quays, so only a short trot to the start line on the Sunday.

What is your aim for the race? Apologies if you've already posted this in the other 35 pages!

• Ah, Salford Quays is a good base for you, handy for everything.  Are you coming on your own?  Like you say, you will have to make up for your lack of beer on the Sunday nightimage.

Is it your first mara?

No aim for me other than to get round.  I am not the fastest anyway (PB 4.09) but I just had a baby in November so I wanted to enter this so I could get a bit fitter again!  It will be my 8th so I am not too nervous......just under 5 hours will do.. I just hope the wather is better than it was last year!

Panda

• As it stands, I'm coming up on my own. It's my 2nd marathon, did London last year and made some classic mistakes in training and on race day so I feel I need to put that right and get some closure. No, I didn't do a parkrun the day before!

A marathon six months after child birth, now that is impressive. Good luck with it all. I read it was a wet one last year. Surely it's more odd if it doesn't rain in Manchester?! 

• LOL...actually 5 months post baby!!image....Yep, hardest thing now is finding the time to get out, I suppose my priorities have had to change, but I am getting out 3 times a week and spinning/gym too.

Ah, most people make mistakes with their first marathons...wow though, what a good one to do for your first..London!  How was it?  Why Manchester over London?  I suppose it's not easy to get into London is it?

I tell yer, rain is one thing, but last year...well, it was like something out of a disaster movie!  I only spectated as someone we knew was doing it, but I was wrapped up in a big parker coat, gloves, hat and wellies and I was still freezing!  The car temperature was 2 degrees, which is unheard of at the end of April...it's been about 12 today!  Actually, today's weather would be pretty much ideal...though being a bird I would take the heat over the cold any dayimage

What time did you get for London?

Panda

• Last year there was a guy watching in full diving gear, mask, snorkel, flippers, wet suit etc. Made me chuckle!

• Quite appropriate!!

• I've done South Manchester parkrun- it's 2 loops round platt fields park. A nice flat run, though it goes onto uneven ground in places. Definitely worth doing!

• Thanks Runningrachel, South Manchester looks to be the one.

Panda - A good excuse to hand over the baby and have me time without feeling guilty, I guess!

Ultimately, I think I found London overwhelming. I became obsessed with my target time and forgot to really enjoy for what it is, a large scale event. I ran uneven pace as I was trying to make up time lost in the congestion and then had the classic blow-up at 18 miles. The main mistakes were definitely in my training, mainly not enough LSRs. I was hitting every training run hard. Passed halfway at 1:55 and finished in 4:44, which tells the story.

I got the rejection for London this time around (have applied 6 times in total, accepted only once) but I think I only applied out of habit. I was keen to do a smaller scale marathon where I could concentrate more on the running. Brighton was sold out and Manchester ticked a lot of boxes for me. From what I read on here it seems like the organisers had taken on board the criticisms from last year. You can't do much about the weather though hey! I've also signed up for Abingdon in October.

Presume you haven't done London then? I would recommend it for the experience, unlike anything I could imagine. It's the only day of the year us Londoners smile and talk to strangers too!

• Another 18 miler yesterday, tough going again which concerns me a little, the last couple of miles I felt tired and the thighs were starting to stiffen a little. Don't feel too bad today though but I've never really struggled with a training run in building up to things like half marathons before.

The thought yesterday that on race day I'd have another 8 miles or so to go was a bit of an eye opener

Not sure whether there are further tweaks I can make, I'm certainly trying to ignore times and just get the mileage in but I seem to get quite tired over the last third and start to stiffen up. Perhaps I'm going out too fast

On the up side, the weather meant 2 fewer layers, no hat or gloves and a run in the sunshine.

Tried out the High 5 gels, prefer the Iso Plus to the standard which got a bit sickly on the last one. Not sure they enhanced my performance greatly but on the other hand it was easier than snacking on jelly babies and it certainly didn't make any negative impact

Onwards and upwards

• LOL Lee....so true re Londoners!  I am surprised you don't get a nose bleed coming this far north....though I am from the North East, so even Manchester is "south" for me!image

Sounds like you made a few beginners errors in London, but at least you know where you went wrong and you shouldn't have that problem again.  I think you will get a good time in Manchester and it's also nice and flat so that is all in your favour.  It will probably be a lot quieter than London in terms of support etc, but you will still enjoy it.

Nope, I did apply for London but got rejected and never really tried again. TBH, I would like to do it the once but am not desperate to do it....it's a bit of a hassle really...easier in some ways to run marathons abroad!  Mind you, babies put an end to stuff like that anyway, for now!

Abingdon is meant to be a good one, I nearly did it one year but they decided to ban ipods and there is no way I can run without music ....sad but true!

RR  Well done on your run,.  You sound surprised to be tired towards the end....well, snap, I am too!  I have done loads of marathons and the long runs never get easy (not for me)...if you drive 18 miles in the car it is a fair distance and running it IS a long way, so you shouldn't be surprised.  It's defo not easy, but that's why we do marathons, for the achievement.  You will find it loads easier on the day though I promise...you will be well fed, rested and have the crowd to help you, so it won't be a problem.

5 miles for me today....struggling for time!  Going to do another 20 on Saturday...yikes!

panda

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

RR - I am in a similar situation to you when I get towards the end of my long runs. Yesterday, I did 20 and started struggling on the hills at about 12 miles. I recently started taking Hi 5 Isogels and, while I dont feel an immediate boost, I think they are helping me get to the end. My longest run is 20 miles so far but a couple of them have taken me 3:40 minutes to complete so the time on my feet is a positive sign (I deliberately chose a long hilly route so I could be out on the roads for that long - I wasnt worried about pace at all). Hopefully, with all this training I'm doing, plus a good 3 week taper I should be feeling as fresh as I possibly can on race day. I think we have just got to trust the training we are doing will work at Manchester

• carterusm wrote (see)

RR - I am in a similar situation to you when I get towards the end of my long runs. Yesterday, I did 20 and started struggling on the hills at about 12 miles. I recently started taking Hi 5 Isogels and, while I dont feel an immediate boost, I think they are helping me get to the end. My longest run is 20 miles so far but a couple of them have taken me 3:40 minutes to complete so the time on my feet is a positive sign (I deliberately chose a long hilly route so I could be out on the roads for that long - I wasnt worried about pace at all). Hopefully, with all this training I'm doing, plus a good 3 week taper I should be feeling as fresh as I possibly can on race day. I think we have just got to trust the training we are doing will work at Manchester

Cheers Carter, are you doing your LSR during the week too?

I think you're right on several counts, I'm going to invest in some of the Isogels as they certainly seemed more palatable than the standard High 5 plus we'll see in the rest of this week's runs what the overall refuelling impact has been. Thought 3 per hour seemed excessive so went with the 1 per half hour after the first hour's running option.

I was tired but I got round and I think I'm probably running a little bit too close to normal pace although that is one that would be classed as a slow training pace by most of the better runners! Perhaps I need to really try and drop my speed next week on the LSR and see how I feel toward the end.

We'll see, another 18 miles next Tuesday and see whether my body is starting to respond a bit to the training, with regard to the longer runs

How does your taper look in terms of runs and distance compared to your training plan when it comes to the last 2-3 weeks before the race. I'm still alternating between not reducing the mileage too much but on the other hand making sure I am rested for the race. I think I'll be still doing 4 runs per week but greatly reducing what was the long run over the taper and also dropping the distance for the other 3 in the final week, plus perhaps having 2-3 days off completely before the race

• cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

Sounds like good running all round here guys. I've got my first 20miler to do on Friday so I'm looking forward to that one. I've taken the advice from this forum for my LSR's and really slowed the pace and that seems to help me. It was a wierd feeling last week because my lungs and chest felt fine after the LSR but my legs were really achy and felt like they'd had a good workout.

Everything I read about training says that during the intensive weeks we have to make sure that we rest sufficiently to help our body recover. Insufficient rest can lead to injury and fatigue. Sounds bizzare but maybe you have to rest in order to go further RR!

I'd agree with RedPanda as well about the feeling tired. 18 miles is a long way and its not going to be easy but I know some days its easier than others!

I've got a half marathon next weekend at Dorney Lake in Eaton where the rowing was for the olympics. Looking forward to it as it should let me stretch out a bit and see how my speed is coming along.

One quick question to end with ......... what kind of pshycological techniques do people use in the second half of a marathon? I always flag a bit in the second half and think a lot of it is in my mind. Any advice gratefully recieved!

• Hi

I agree Cybarev...that's another classic mistake people make, trying to cram in more training at the end and not having enough taper.  Like you say, have faith in the plan and rest at the end.

Funny enough I find the second half easier in marathons!  I think it's always good to break it down into manageable chunks though.  I think once you get to that 20 miles, I always think...well, it's only 10k left.  Anyone can do a 10k (well, you know what I mean), so that seems to help.  I think in some ways, miles 13 to 20 are probably the toughest, because you have passed half way but still have a long way to go. 

Good luck with your half marathon too

Panda

• cybarev wrote (see)

One quick question to end with ......... what kind of pshycological techniques do people use in the second half of a marathon? I always flag a bit in the second half and think a lot of it is in my mind. Any advice gratefully recieved!

That's where the Non-Marathon Runners handbook has come in useful, alot of the book relates to the mental side of the race as opposed to the physical

It's all about breaking it down as RP says and also having positive pictures in your mind as well as reassuring yourself that you're doing well and that you are a "runner" and a marathon one at that, whenever you feel like you're stuggling

It's all about keeping the faith, Wilmlsow half in a couple of weeks should give me a good idea of how I've come on since last November

On race day, I'll have a mental picture of a nice bath and then a couple of beers sat on the sofa, watching United at Arsenal to get me round

• carterusm wrote (see)

I think we have just got to trust the training we are doing will work at Manchester

That's exactly it.  I know my training schedule is written by guys that know WAY more about running, marathon training, taper and nutrition than I do.  I put my faith in their hands.  They have already delivered me a HM PB that i'm well chuffed about and that was mid training without a taper.  I believe it is all working, I can feel it working and that will be enough for me I think.

Belief will caryy you a long way in any discipline.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

RR - I normally do my LSR on Saturdays but last weekend 'stuff' got in the way. So I decided to book off Tuesday from work and get it done then. I've got a 22 miler planned  for this Saturday so hope I'm not being too optimistic.

My plan for the next 7 weeks regarding my LSR is 22, HM, 22, 22, 16, 14, 10 - in the last 3 I am including some miles at MP.

For the taper I am planning on 3 weeks so during that time I will reduce the mileage over all sessions but the intensity will remain the same e.g. my tempo runs will reduce from 50 to 40, 30, 20. 

It looks like you have something similar in mind for your taper. I will also be having 2 days complete rest before race day.

• CUSM - similar but slightly lower LSR 18,HM,18,20,16,13 and then in the final week 3 much shorter runs around 5 miles each so no LSR as such in the final week (may revisit this and lengthen the Mon/Tue run in that week)

Happy with my LSR disances for the rest of the plan but as with most first-timers still worrying that I'm cutting down my mileage too much over the last week or so, especially given that my LSR is Tuesday, so my last LSR will be 11 days before the race (although I'll still have another 6 runs after that of lower mileage)

My tough week is going to be fitting the 18miler in post Wilmslow half as I'll have to do it on the Tues/Wed after the Sunday race and the last couple of 18mile LSR have been tough on a Tues, even following 2 days of rest on Sun/Mon

Slow 8 miler this morning, my first run after the LSR always seems to vary in terms of ease and pace, last week's was quite fast. Felt quite stiff when first out and the cold and damp was in stark contrast to Tuesday's gorgeous conditions

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    RR, it takes a good couple of weeks for any physiological adaptations to come through so there's no need to worry about your final LSR being a bit light or a bit further out. It's all a mental game at that point and making sure you are as fresh and healthy on the start line as you can be.

Exciting times as plans are starting to come to the boil now. That, the looming deadline of logging any race transfers and another week off running due to ny dodgy legs has made my decision to withdraw from the race. I'm transferring to the Rhyl Triathlon instead which gives me some more recovery time and is a more sensible addition to my build up to Outlaw in the summer anyway.

So:

- good luck

- trust in the training

- don't panic

- don't overdo it, if you need to rest then rest

- enjoy it and do yourselves proud

I'll pop in at race time to see all of your amazing results!
  • cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

Slokey, sorry to hear you aren't running. Hope you pick up and enjoy the Rhyl Tri. I remeber Rhyl well. As a kid we used to travel over there from the Wirral to the Sun Centre and muck about in the pool, it was great.

18 miles covered for me today. Felt pretty good. Nice and slowly. Managed to get out beofre most of the rain came down. Colchester now resembles the Rhyl Sun Centre without the sun ie wet! After the run we went to the cinema to watch Side Effects, very good film and tonight we are off out for a curry with some friends. What a brilliant day off I'm having!

Mrs Cybarev has just got back from Manchester last night. She spent yesterday wandering round Trafford looking at all the redevelopment and scouting out the area for things to do with three boys while dad is off enjoying himself on the Marathon!

Enjoy your LSR's folks

• SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Hope it's ok to jump in here...I'm running my first marathon in Manchester.  Have just done 18 miles (the furthest I've ever run!) and am feeling good about that.  A couple of questions, hope someone can help... On race day should my Garmin be set to average pace as opposed to lap pace as it is during training runs?  Also I'm a little confused and unsure about pace.  My best half marathon time is 1:46 (that was last November) and was hoping for around 4 hours, but how do I know if I can do this? The 18 miler today was average pace 10:44 but it was quite hilly and muddy in places.  The last mile I did in 9:48 (I just wanted to see if I could run a bit faster after 17 miles).  Not sure if I'm kidding myself that I can run 26 miles doing 9 minute miles??

• Ran 30 km today through the Mersey Valley (my usual running setting)... one of those runs where I felt like I was running into gusting headwinds the entire way... lots of colourful language and memories of last year's Manchester marathon! Aiming to beat 3:30 this year, though runs haven't been great since January. Should be fun!

• Did the Grindleford Gallop yesterday, fantastic event and a very scenic route.

Tiny amount of snow when we ran across the moors but nothing to dampen the spirits, very wet and muddy underfoot.

2.48 for 21 miles but managed to get 1st vet 50.

No running today for me, legs feeling it.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Jonah - you did well with weather. I took the dog for a walk up there yesterday and there was plenty of the white stuff ! Good running
  • Slokey - thanks for the encouragement, really sorry you can't do the event image

Jonah - Great result, that sounds like a fantastic time for that sort of run.

Sallymax - Have you tried the McMillan race time calculator jobby?  If you put that half-marathon time, it'll give you a fairly decent idea of what your mara time could be with the right training.  I have little doubt at all that sub 4 should be achievable with a HM time like that image

Training went well for me this weekend.  21 mile (longest run) on saturday and managed to get the pace up to 9 min miles so was happy with having slowed it down by 15 secs a mile.  I had some HR drift this weekend though, not sure what changed since last weekend.

12m GA run today at 7.50 m/m.  Felt strong and light footed.  Can really start to feel the benefits of all this slog now image

• SLOKEY- Sorry to hear that. Rhyl brings back alot of childhood memories, my grandparents lived in Rhuddlan and so I spent most of my childhood holidays on Rhyl beach. Sad to say, I watched the SunCentre actually being built but have never set foot inside since it opened. Hope the change of plan works out for you.

CYBAREV - let me know if you need any ideas or places to visit near the race. I live in Altrincham and dependent on what their interests are there are plently of places to visit close to parts of the race. I can also point out which ones to avoid or ones that aren't value for money

SALLYMAX - This is my first marathon and I think you'll do it, my outside aim for Manchester is to dip just under 4 hours. I'm coming in with an average of 9:20-9:30 in terms of mileage pace for my LSR but I'm going to make a conscious effort to go slower at the start of another 18 miler tomorrow and see if that makes the end feel any better.

My best HM time is 1:50 and I'm a little apprehensive about the Wilmslow HM in a couple of weeks time as I'm not running anywhere near the times I was last time I ran a HM, I think this is partly down to the additional mileage I'm doing at present for the marathon. I'm going to have a "mini-taper" that week and see if that helps with the race or my running in general.

Reigel's Marathon prediction formula puts my estimated time somewhere between 4:00 and 4:30 based on my runs this year

At the end of the day, getting round the first marathon is the great achievement in itself, a good time would be the icing on the cake (that and good running weather on the day image)