Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Dannir - me too, I live in the sticks, see no one, so it's great when I venture out of my rural bubble and see/speak to people.  Hopefully two weeks today we'll be in the pub chugging back a wine or four image

• Options

15kms done in glorious sunshine this morning.

Yesterday was a rest day but I played Laser Quest with the children - that counts as X-training, right?!

Getting nervous and stupidly superstitious.

2 weeks today!! image  

• Options

7 miles yesterday and 13 miles today in a bitter cold wind,my side of my mouth was so num it felt like i had been to the dentist.

It will be nice to meet up with you all on race day by the ark.

The hard work is done now so taper well.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    The Jimbob wrote (see)

Carl, sounds like you've trained well mate and you're ready to run Paris. A few days off running with the chest infection is probably doing your muscles a favour and i doubt you'll lose much from the lay off in terms of fitness. The most important thing is you clear that infection up. when you are sure it's gone away between now and the big day, have a few good runs and you'll be fine, don't worry about LSRs. Of course if you think you want to have a long one - i'm also based in London and desperate for someone to run with tomorrow morning (couple of hours duration / a minute per mile shy of target marathon pace - probably similar to yours by the sounds of it) cause it's gonna be so cold'n'orrible! I'm setting off from east finchley around 7am heading to the Thames/Waterloo Bridge by about 7.45 (thats silly o'clock but my kids will have me up at 6 so it makes sense)  - give me a shout back if you want to join in!

Thanks for the offer but I did not see silly o'clock today. Got up very late and still not fighting fit. Hopefully another few days will have it sorted. Most of my training has been in the dark as mornings in my house are quite busy. I live on the Gospel Oak side of Hampstead Heathh so I would imagine that we run on very similar routes particularly iff heading down to the Thames.

Looks like you had a good run today.

ATM - thanks for the info.

In 2 weeks, all those that turn up at the start will be well finished by now. Only 2 weeks.

• Options
    Carl, where exactly do you live? I went to Gospel Oak Primary and grew up in Dartmouth Park, Laurier Rd. I'm a Burghley boy! Family still based round there. Mate I'd be well up for some training in the summer (evenings) I've got Berlin at end of Sept. The LSRs are easier when you have someone to chat to along the way.
  • Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    kaz1 wrote (see)

DV - In serious awe of you, running a marathon+ on a twisted ankle......

RS - I am of the decision that 22 on Tuesday is toooo much and I am backing that with my current lazitis!!image Now I am thinking - usual 10 tomorrow and 15 on Tuesday then prob my usual 10 on Wednesday, day off Thursday.........But all may be subject to change given weather and meetings this week....image As for the wardrobe situation, if my daughter has her way and she wants my t-shirt co-ordinated with my trainers, my Paris t-shirt would be the only one I could wear but I think it will be Minnie the Minx again!image

My face feels like someones skelped it.......image

I would skelp it, if i was close enough!  You're in TAPER woman!  35 miles during the week?!?!  You are truly mad, but that's why we luv yah.image

T-shirt coordinated with trainers?!?  has she been speaking to Hal?

Well...I didn't get 20 miles in.  Actually got no where near it but I'm happy.  Considering I have a bloody awful cold (virus type) and how cold it is outside (intermitten snow with chill to the bone wind) I'm happy with 13miles (21kms).  The stumpies weren't too happy about it all and my digestive system was not good during or now (figuring it's the virus and blood flow being inhibited but correct me if I'm wrong doctor types), so i'm going to take it as a win.  There's pretty much nothing more I can do now...just tapir to Paris and see where crossing the start line takes me...

Yes, the Paris forum is where it's at!!  I shall repeat my metaphor for it:

"A big warm slightly damp hug with a little too much hip contact that lasts a little longer than you'd like but then you give in and let the good times roll." image

• Options
    RS - I imagine the muscles have been struggling because of the added demand on blood flow - in general your body has enough to do just fighting infection. I suspect that's also the reason for the stomach upset. Well done on the 21k while unwell, great effort.

I'm due 16k but bad stomach upset/slight hangover mean I remain @home...
  • Options
    Well done DV - and good call to stop when you did.

Against all sensible advice I ran the Inverurie Half today. I know, I know. Pointy finger already wagged by Mrs Mac. Coldest run I have ever done. Baltic! I even had to wear long sleeves! Targeted 100 minutes and finished in 99:20. Everything still working, but my private bits felt like they had been attacked by copious amounts of Biofreeze. Again....

And my daughter got a 10K PB - 54 minutes. So I am very proud!
  • Options

SM - well done, hope you got a J G Ross's buttery at the finish!  

• Options
    TP - went for a huge fry up at the 'Dairy'. Nummy.
  • Options
    Dark Vader wrote (see)
    Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)

Ok, I know I've probably missed it - but what is this Pirate thing you and some of the other legends have DV?

It an Iron Man thing...  its a collection of people off this RW site who decided to have a go at Iron Man...  and it just developed from there...  there are now a lot of people who have the Pirate logo but just do shorter distance tri instead.   I did my first IM in 2008 and have also done Double Iron Man (4.8mile swim, 224 miles bike, 52 miles run).  However, since my failure at swimming the Channel in 2011 (after the 87 mile London to Dover run) I can't swim anymore so won't be able to do any more tri.  Go to any of the large established tri's and you'll find a massive Priate presence.   Their support is legendary across Europe.

Pirates have a very distinctive yellow and black kit wth the skull and crossbones logo.   I'll wear it in Paris, just for you!

Thanks RS, great story - I look forward to seeing your kit in Paris DV!

• Options

Simon - incredible performance, and by your daughter. Now - taper!

• Options
    Simon - well done you and Ms McDoughnut. I'm trying to work out the optimum time over the Easter weekend to fit in a massive fry-up brunch at an excellent cafe near me. At the moment I'm focusing heavily on eating stuff.

RS - well done on getting out there, but I think you need to concentrate on looking after yourself. I know it's so much easier to pick up germs and eat rubbish food when you're travelling, it's not easy.

16 miles today, with a mile at race pace towards the end. On that basis - and I'm putting this down in writing now - list fairy, can you move me to the pink pen please. Not as bad weather as some of you have had, but still pretty cold. I can't remember when I've ever done such a long run and kept my gloves on the whole way - normally my hands get hot and I ave to take them off.

On a cultural note, went to see The Judas Kiss last night, with Rupert Everett as Oscar Wilde. Highly recommend - well staged, great actors. And the massive amounts of male nudity were obviously dramatically necessary image .
  • Options
    I thought I would give the skull and crossed bones an airing at the breakfast run
  • Options
    IM2, there's just good vibes all around this thread, typified by TD making the trip to support us in Paris despite not being able to take part himself, organising our dinner and chaperoning our supporters around the course. From a personal point of view I've been made to feel most welcome and am looking forward to hanging out with everyone in Paris, and next Friday for our little run/pint with a few thread crew.
  • Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)
    RS - I imagine the muscles have been struggling because of the added demand on blood flow - in general your body has enough to do just fighting infection. I suspect that's also the reason for the stomach upset. Well done on the 21k while unwell, great effort.

Soooo I was right?!?!  come on, it's doesn't hurt that much to say it. image

Oh yeah, everyone who's got supporters coming make sure they CHECK the METRO for engineering works (yup they do that in france too).  They usually don't have any the sunday of the marathon but check just incase!!!!  And, get your supporters to take a few photos/videos of themselves too so we can see what madcap activities they got up to while we slogged it out.

Pirates are invading!  ohhh arrrrgghhh, shiver me arc de triomphe.

• Options
    I'm sure I've said it many times before, but modern life is a bit weird and we seem to live so far away from village life that characterised the first couple of hundred thousand years of human existence. I think a good sense of community is very healthy and we are lucky to find a good 21st expression of it here on this thread. Two weeks time we'll all be sharing some cracking storiesimage
  • Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

TJ - I live very close to your old school on Savernake Road. How weird is that. My OH has still not made up her mind about coming to offer support. She is convinced that I will not be there but am determined to make the start line and see what happens.

Still some very impresssive running going on here. I thought everyone would be in taper mode by now.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Oh we are in Taper mode Carl - Paris thread styleimage

• Options
    We've both just entered the Chester Half..... We haven't survived this yet !
  • Options
    Carl, course you'll be there mate. I'm on the 7.31am train from st Pancras on Saturday 6th April. Give me a shout if you want to meet us/ head to the expo?
  • Options

I've mentioned Kilian Jornet before on here...  read this...  he is drug free and an exceptional athlete in a class of his own...  

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/24/magazine/creating-the-all-terrain-human.html?ref=magazine&_r=0

• Options

Is anybody meeting at the expo on Friday fternoon??

• Options
    kaz1 wrote (see)

Yep. I'll be there around 4-ish (depending on how cooperative public transport from the airport is).

I abandoned my planned 20 km today. I got 45 minutes in and the snow on the footpaths was making me stop to walk every 20m or so. I figured there's no point not getting to Paris because I slip and fall, cracking my skull open in a training run! And the wind! Not just from me...image So I ran the 45 minutes home and called it a day. Contemplated going to a gym to finish it off. Then I remembered that I've got to do this stupid paper... Bah. I thought I was over school girl procrastination!

Dan and IM2: Why do you think I've relocated halfway around the world, but to get to see you all again!

RS: You WILL get around.

DV: Tremendously well done - it sounds like you made the right call.

My brother finished his second IM today - he wanted to go sub-4 in the running leg but said he ran out of steam. Winds were 40miles with 25 knot headwind and a 1m swell in the swim. 

Peter Bourke: Are you out there? How did your friends in the Melbourne IM go?

• Options

I am seriously thinking of joining the ranks of the pirates in 2014 to celebrate the onset of middle age. How hard can it be?

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Simon - Well done on your half today.

Kaz - Just remember to tell junior to pack the essentials like Orkney Fudge.

Mmmm butterys. Not had one of those in years.

kaz1 wrote (see)

I'll be there on Friday afternoon. Think there are a few folk heading in on the Friday.

• Options
    It's a doddle. I did my first aged 50, and when I entered my first IM I couldn't swim and hadn't got a bike..... So anyone can do it
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I've no interest in anything that involves swimming as I loathe it...but I can see me heading down the Ultra road before too many years are out....image

I've just eaten my bodyweight in roast potatoes, with an apple crumble to follow soon.  It's not too early to carb load, right?

• Options
    I hope not YM. You should see what I've just eaten!
  • Options
    Dave, I'll be 55 next year...... But I fully intend to live to 110.