Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

GD - still looks pretty good though, considering where you are with your training and that you've been doing more bike work than running for a couple of months. It'll come back soon enough.

SJ - when's Frankfurt? Like most of us, the B-I-L also thinks he didn't run it perfectly, lost some time here and there and could go quicker on another day. Whether he'll actually commit to another attempt in the future I'm not sure.

PJF - with an 86 min HM, you should be well in the sub-3:15 frame, and went close before so that should give you confidence.

KR - another bonkers event! Planning on any rest stops, or just continual effort?

Turbo session last night to back up the lunchtime run, then 6 at lunch today with a 3 mile tempo section that came in at 19:51. A bit quicker than planned, but I'll take that having not done a tempo run for months! Speed endurance past 10 miles has always been my biggest issue, so I know that's something I need to focus on.

• Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

SJ - I loved your report. Huge congrats again! You clearly have more patience and tolerance than I would have teaming up with someone much slower in the swims.

Jools - That's a good 'time on feet' run banked

Lor - Good luck in Abingdon

OO - 18:50 is solid

BI - Sorry about your wife. I hope the surgery goes well. Nice session in the heat.

GD - Those splits look good to me

SJ - Good luck on the sub 3 attempt

PJF - Go ahead and treat yourself

KR - Excellent mileage. I'm excited to see how the 24 hour race goes. It's something on my bucket list too. You should check out this blog for some good advice reading and tips on 24 hr races - http://rubbishrunner.blogspot.co.uk/

Abbers - Nice 6 miler and turbo sessions 

It's just three days to go to the Donegal Marathon and I'm now carbo loading. I did my usual Aussie style pre carbo load run this morning of 3 minutes fast then straight into a 30 seconds uphill sprint. Then started consuming plenty of high GI carbs straight away. I'll return to more normal eating tomorrow and Saturday with just a slightly higher percentage of carbs.

I've checked my previous schedules and I've used this method for all my previous sub 3 marathons and PB's so I'm sticking with it.

It will be interesting to see if my flat out half marathon a week before the marathon will affect my performance. Earlier in the year I ran 3 half marathons in 3 consecutive weeks and a 20 miler mid week after the first one. Despite this I still managed to run each race about a minute faster than the week before setting two new PB's on the last two. 

It will also be interesting to see how I go considering that including the taper, I've only had 7 weeks training for the marathon after a 11 day heavy drinking holiday.

I put the course into Map My Run and almost wish I hadn't as it looks a little hilly. Those last few climbs near the end are going to hurt. Bring on the pain!imagehttp://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/821793497 

• Options

Re shoes - does anyone use the Asics DS for marathon racing?

I use a 210g shoe for anything up to HM & Kayano which is 100g heavier and frankly too heavy for longer runs.

The DS looks appealing as its a halfway house...still supprt a bit of over pronation but way lighter than the Kayano.        

• Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    PJFrizzle wrote (see)

Re shoes - does anyone use the Asics DS for marathon racing?

I use a 210g shoe for anything up to HM & Kayano which is 100g heavier and frankly too heavy for longer runs.

The DS looks appealing as its a halfway house...still supprt a bit of over pronation but way lighter than the Kayano.        

I'm currently over 1,600 miles into a pair of Saucony Guide 7's and loving them. They are the only shoe I've ever bought were I feel comfortable running long and racing in. They are durable, have an 8mm drop and weigh 270g. I'd certainly recommend them as a halfway house between training and racing.

With today's easy 4 miler completed I have now broken the 2000 mile barrier for the year. I'm 100% fit and feeling great about Sundays marathon.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

PJF - I've been looking into shoes a lot recently. For long training runs I love the Asics Kayano, I don't seem to get so much calf/Achilles pain with them.

At the track this week I used my Asics DS Trainer shoes. They're an old version that I only use for shorter fast  work. They are based on the old GT21xx range which were brilliant and the DS delivers well for me.

The regular shoe is the GT2000. I've been disappointed with them as they are a poor replacement for the superb GT2xx models. I've stated this on here before. The insoles I got a couple of weeks ago really seem to be helping, so I'll stick with the current GT2000s but may try Mizuno Inspire when they need replacing.

I have a pair of Kayano 21s in a box at home that I got in a sale for £75 recently. Looking forward to breaking those bad boys out come campaign proper.

Too hot to run today, can't be arsed. Celebration dinner for the younger boy later who did well in his GCSEs yesterday and then it's off to the Oval tomorrow for beer, sun and Ashes cricket! image

GD

• Options

Thanks for the link to that blog Badbark - another Irish nutter!
    Good luck in Donegal and hope the carbload works well. I used to use that Aussie method a few times for half marathons and it seemed to work.

PJFrizzle - I swear by my Adidas Boston Boost shoes. Really light and feels like you're running in slippers. Got my mara PB this year in them and would buy again.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

I love the adidas brand, all my clobber is adidas but the shoes are just a bit too narrow. If ever they do a wider Boost, I'm In!

GD

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

BB - all the best at Donegal on Sunday, and indeed to any other weekend racers.

GD/PJF/KR - no real experience of Asics shoes, at least not for a number of years. Something of a Brooks convert here, I've always got on well with them and have been (without wishing to tempt fate) injury free for a number of years, at least from running. But then I don't do huge mileage either. All of which means I'm not really qualified to answer!

Rest day today, then the usual long(ish) run and cricket double planned for tomorrow.

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Hello strangers! image  It's been a whirlwind of a summer break and the family have been keeping me busy.  A quick read back and I see there are some solid runs, crazy exploits and new faces to mention!

Welcome Frizzle!  Always nice to see new faces around here. That LT run from Pfitz is a real monster but great for boosting confidence once nailed.  I may also go for a two week taper having missed quite a lot of miles from my schedule this time round.  I am going to need the extra week of training!

VTr - nice to see you banking those big miles still.  Remind me which race you are targeting? Chicago is looming soon for many of my old Impala team mates.

Leslie - sounds promising with the physio exercises working you now rather than resting and icing? Any improvements?  They can be minuscule and difficult to notice but I bet it is heading in the right direction.

OO - many congrats on the great A level results in your household!

GDawg - ditto! You'll have to get used to training without your usual partner though  image

PMJ - congrats on more great results too!  Three down one to go. image

Lorenzo  well done to Lorenzito too.  

Badbark - great result in the HM. Not long till you dip below 80 mins.  Best of luck at Donegal this weekend.  I love that Aussie carb loading and cannot abide a week of stuffing carbs down!

Jools - looks like you are finding your form again with that 38.01!  Great time even if it is not a PB.

SJ - your crazy race sounds really fun actually! I'm probably showing my ignorance here but how do the pull buoys help with the swimming?  Is it because the wetsuits aren't as buoyant having been cut down? And you are so on for sub-3 at Frankfurt. image

BikeIt - sorry to hear about your wife's nose!  You really are testing the services of your new home country aren't you?  Training looks like it is going well for you

Abbers - good to see you are back to getting the regular miles in again.

KR - knocking out a 3.35 marathon in training shows you are pretty damn fit at the moment.  Your ultra will be a breeze if you take it as slowly as you plan to.

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Not much running to report of note.  My 70 mile schedule has seen me average just 45 a week with minor interruptions for family commitments and minor niggles/injuries.  Fortunately none of the interruptions has been significant but with just 7 weeks to go I am going to have to make the miles count now so having just returned from a week in Cornwall and a week in Greece I am going to stick more to the plan.

Running in Cornwall was rather slow and hilly and I only ran once in Greece as I was nursing a calf strain.  We returned last weekend and I have been out every day on the local routes with my weekly long run done and dusted last night with 22@7:59/mi. I hadn't realised it got dark so much earlier and ended up running half of it in the pitch black which made for a slightly spooky but also rather beautiful experience as I was alone on the trail without a head torch. Recovery run this morning with the dog and I will try head out again for a second one this evening.  Have a good weekend all!  MrE and I are celebrating our wedding anniversary and have a rare night away so are heading off to Wiltshire sans the MsEttes and MsEsq.  MsEtte3 couldn't understand why we weren't taking them and suggested joining us for part of it and then getting a taxi home image

• Options

MsE -22@ sub8 is good form.

BB - had a look at Donegal 2014 results, you must be in with a shout for a win there, and that punishing 2nd half looks like your idea of heaven. 

intervals today 800 warm up then 8 x 800 vo2 max with 400 recoveries. 800 pace was in the 2:45 - 2:48 spread. Happy with that.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I've had 2 pairs of Asics DS racers and was pretty satified. I do like my Adidas Boston Boosts though- they suit my skinny feet.

Nice to have you back MSE- and enjoy your anniversary w/end!

I ran a club relay yesterday. 2 miles, and quite pleased with 2 * 5:40 pace

Let's see what parkrun brings tomorrow image  

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Great intervals, Frizzle!

And nice pace on the 2 miler, OO. Be good to see where that takes you tomorrow at parkrun Inlaws here now in situ ready to look after the brood so we can set off tomorrow morning. Woooooo!
  • Options

Impressive long run there MsE - presume the niggles have all disappeared. I hope you have a fun weekend away.

Welcome to Frizzle - you'll enjoy it on here!

Have been a bit rubbish at posting this week - been a rather busy one. Getting back into a routine with a shortish threshold run on Tuesday, an hour on one of my favourite loops through the woods on Wednesday and an intervals session yesterday, albeit one rather compromised by one glass of wine too many the previous night. 

Rest day today and then taking out my new Mizuno Hitogamis (£95 for two pairs) out for a spin tomorrow. 

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

welcome back, MsE ; nice return with the 22 

been poor here also with posting, but has been quiet period - last week was away for a few days, but managed to eke out a 40 mile week, this week old knee niggles have returned, so combined with a busy social period decided to have a "down" week - just one 7 mile fartlek completed. Even missed my Sat morn jaunt today . . . 

Back to it next week - I'm getting a bit flabby amidships 

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

18:04 at the parkrun in perfect conditions, 4 secs quicker would have been nice but let's not get greedy.

Couple of long runs should see that flab off Birch. Know what you mean though, I have a couple to shift too. 

• Options
    Abbers, Frankfurt is the last Sunday in October..... image

Good luck tomorrow BB

MsE, welcome back and happy anniversary! The pull buoys are used to counteract the sinky legs from the trainers

Great time OO

Hard 7mile run inc 2@HMP and 2@10Kpace yesterday followed by an hour TT ride. 2.8miles in Coniston Water this morning then 11miler this afternoon with 1500ft climbing today - knackering, slow and not pretty. Holidays in the sunshine from tomorrow. image
  • Options

I have also been rubbish at posting recently image And reading too if I'm honest imageimage

Must try harder! 

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Bike it - 4 broken noses that's a lot,well used to it by now I guess  !

Badbark- I think the course for Donegal is easier this year ,smash it !image

0052- 4 secs would make you very fast indeed with a 17 in it image

Birch -flabby is now my middle name or oh hang on its just my middle !image

Mse- welcome back ,Happy anniversary! I too hope the stretches are helping I definitely have quad bother which needs sorting out and might be the key who knows feeling a bit freer now and less like the tinman when I was running  ,done a couple of days in the gym then mostly walking 3 mile a day no running yet now only gains have been a modest 10kg over race weight in 2.5 months!image Physio next week again I'm hoping for a comeback plan this week or I may need a new physioimage  #Iwillbebackimage

Speedy- Its good to talk !image

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Hello everyone. Arrived back safely on Friday evening after a long slow journey from Cornwall.
    Catch-up Part I (6th-12th Aug)
    Speedy - MT podium double win! Sounds impressive.
    GD - good track session. Probably right about the cumulative effect on your legs. Insoles seem to be worth it.
    SJ - speedy stuff. And a fun day out. You love those multiple pace sessions, don't you?!
    Bike It - good news on the calf. Cornwall is a certainly a good place for some strength training! Good MP session.
    Birch - shame about the tickets. Good running though.
    VTr - hope the cut-back week helps boost your energy a bit. Although after that 22.6 miler sounds like you've got plenty! Impressive mileage.
    Badbark - great parkrun! Must be the Donegal marathon this weekend? All the best. Wow! Cracking track racing! Oh and hope the HM went okay too!
    OO- nice parkrun and congrats on the prizes in Darlington.
    Poacher - enjoying the reports from Africa!
    Jools - 21 miler the day before 3 track races! Well done.
    marrows - good base building.
    PMJ - nice restrained parkrun and a good 12 miler.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Busy end to the week: 13 Friday evening, 15 Saturday morning and 16 this morning. Legs felt surprisingly spritely this morning. Now vegetating in front of the athletics before working.
  • Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Quick post to say I finished 3rd place in the Donegal Marathon in 2:58:09. Tough course and chuff with a podium after being 4th by 1:30 mins after 23 miles. First was about 2:38 and second 2:42 hrs. I was interviewed on the radio and pocketed 50 euro image Now drinking!

• Options

Well done BB great time on a lonely course.

21 this morning 3 / 1 with last 7 at MP Minus 10s. 

• Options

Nice one BB! 

22 in an unexpected howling gale this morning brought up my first decent mileage week in ages - 75. Health issues have been taking a toll on my training and I've come to terms with the fact that I am unlikely to PB at the GNR or Chester, but it's all good base training for VLM. 

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Hurrah - well done BB. Autographs on request?
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Fantastic BB, a star in our midst...

17 here and 50 for the week.

See you at the GNR Speedy....

• Options

I know what you mean G-Dawg, the Boost are a little bit tight but i've not had any blisters or black toe nails form them.

22 miles @ 7.59 is a good indicator of endurance MsE, hopefully the speed endurance can be added to that.

A good session under the belt there PJFrizzle with those short recoveries. Did you manage to get that done at the track?

Sounds a good routine Lorenzo

A bit of time off helps I think Birch and social events usually take over more in the summer I find.

Cracking Parkrun time 0052 - those 4 seconds will come off soon!

A good trio of long runs Joolsimage

Brilliant time and podium place Badbark. 50 Euros in cash -  a good prize. Enjoy the celebration drinks!

Good long run & weekly mileage Speedy.

My biggest ever weekly mileage this week of 90 miles, mostly made up of 10 & 15 milers in the week and rested on Friday. Ended with a good weekend of 15 miles yesterday (3 x 5 mile loops of my fav local run) first loop 9m/m 2nd 8m/m & 3rd 7m/m, then 30 miles this morning (6 x 5 mile loops of the same route). Was pleased with the overall pace of 8.17 and bagging a 3.38.xx marathon. I opted for the loops to replicate the monotony of the 24 hour race and also incorporated the run/walk theory. So was running for 25 minutes and walking for 2 minutes. Seemed to work ok but was a bit tough near the end.

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Badbark-on the podium again and another sub 3 well done.image

PJF-nice fast finish longun.

CC2- Nice 22.

Kr-cracking 90 miler week even with a rest day amazingimage

a modest 2 mile walk before nightshift here !

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Catch up Part II (13th - 18th Aug)
    Bike It - good track session(s). Eventful anniversary! Hope your wife is ok.
    Leslie - good to hear the physio has sorted out some kind of plan.
    OO - congrats to Junior OO. Hope the celebrations went well.
    GD - good hilly running and congrats to junior GD too.
    PMJ - cracking A level results - well done to #3.
    Birch - never tried the Cleveland Way, but I'm sure it's very nice. Good 16 miler.
    Lorenzo - all the best to elder Lorenzito - seems far too many years ago that I headed off to Manchester! Still time to peak for Abingdon.
    Badbark - congrats on the HM PB - sub 80 very soon!
    Jools - nice time for the 10k and good progress. Still another 20 in the bag.
    SJ - That sounds like one crazy event! Well done.
    PJF - Glad you're okay after your sugar levels went so low. Great 10 wi. 5 @ LT.
    Speedy - good hilly running in Derbyshire.
    Abbers - sounds like a good week in the Lakes.
    My last three weeks look like I've been tapering for a marathon - but I'm certainly not in peak condition! 12 weeks till the Autumn Shakespeare, so LT/Endurance Mesocycle started today with 10 inc. 5 @ LT.  Didn't manage to get anything under 7m/m:-
    warm-up 9:19, 8:24, 8:04, 7:27
    LT: 7:00, 7:04, 7:04, 7:03, 7:03
    warm-down: 8:12
    However, I did note that my GPS was measuring my usual 1 mile circuit of the park as 0.95 miles, so normally I would have had those LT miles logged as 6:4x most probably. Hmmmm. Heart rate stats: 158 avg, 176 max.

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Welcome back MsE and Gul

Excellent Badbark - very nice when you can run a sub-3 untapered on a harder course.  It sounds like you'll be in PB shape again in your target marathon.  Brilliant.

Good miles KR - always good to get the VLSR out of the way 4-5 weeks out.  Particularly with a good MLR/LSR the day before, it get you used to the feeling of the legs once you're into the 30+ mile zone. What's your target starting pace for your 100? 

My wife's nose operation went well.  When she came around she was told she would need a follow-up operation through.

I very much enjoyed 26km/16miles on Sunday which I ran much too fast at 5:04 per km or 8:07ish per mile.  I missed one run at the end of the week as I had a bit of a minor virus.

I confirmed with the organiser that the Bloemfontein marathon would go ahead on 14 November so I'm in.  Strangely there seems very little publicity for this race and many others here.  That means a 12 week schedule would start today - I'll adapt the 1st 2 weeks of P&D 12 week to 55mile schedule to account for my 10km race next Wednesday and thereafter try to follow it closely.