Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options

Great report Madbark - you're seriously flying at the moment.

KR - another paragraph that reinforces why I don't want to even contemplate doing a 24 hour race. Great dedication to the cause.

11 hilly off road miles with a mate this morning - made a very pleasant change from running solus and we put the world to rights throughout the run except for the steep bits up the side of Box Hill/

Took me up to 111 for the month (which is OK seeing that I was away for almost half of it) and 1,318 for the year so far. A decent burst of autumn training should get me over 2,000 for the year for the first time since 2011

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Evening folks and apologies for the continued absence. The past month has been pretty hectic and I have been away for most of it. Need to seriously try catch up here but I've just had a quick skim back.

G-Dawg - Sorry to hear of your news. Hope you get sorted with something soon.

Badbark - You are in top form and I hope the hot streak continues..

KR - Sweet Jeebus! Good luck with that challenge, you seem up for it.

PJF & VTr  - you are both are looking strong!image

I've been running ok and more importantly really enjoying it. No racing per say since Dublin in July and that was only race No.2 this year but I did a 19 mile cliff path/trail run on Sunday and that's my longest run in two years! How time flies.... Feeling pretty good and did another 8k trail run tonight and the legs felt fresh, i was delighted to see sub 7mm on the clock for the 8k run tonight as that's a hard trail run and it didn't feel too hard after y'day's long run. Gearing up for Medoc now which is in less than two weeks and may even enter an Autumn marathon now as the body seems to be in good shape. My lack of natural endurance is always a concern but I miss not running in all these events and life seems to pass by so quickly, so what the heck.image

• Options

Good to see GM popping back in - sounds like your relaxed approach to running is paying dividends!

G-Dawg - rubbish news on the job front. Hope you're able to find something else quickly and bank the redundancy pay-off!

Good report from BB, congrats on the podium Jools and insane antics from KR; I realise it's all good training for your specific goal, but even so, that's monster mileage in 22 hours.

SJ - beach run sounds amazing. Great when you get to experience things like that.

PMJ - good stats, and I'm sure you'll have a reasonable size train following you round next weekend.

Lorenzo another who has clocked some good mileage.

12 for me early on Saturday morning, then another 2.5 running round the park after the MsAs on their bikes. Usual 10 over stint on Saturday afternoon as we completed our league season with a win, an hour on the turbo on Sunday (really couldn't face going out on the roads in shoddy weather) and 6.5 easy yesterday evening. Ticking over OK at the moment.

• Options

Well G-Dawg if there is a time to lose your job then it is now as everyone is now coming back to the office and realising they need to recruit.  Lots of effort and uncertainty though for you to get back in a job.  Sorry to hear it.

It seems to have been tempo/LT run season in the last week and some good times already been posted.

Thanks for your great report Badbark - your fitness seems to be consistently improving and you seem to be positioning yourself for a new mara PB at your target marathon.

That's one way of getting in big miles KR. Back to backs have always been a problem for me in preparing for ultras as I found the lack of recovery prompted injury on the second day if I wasn't super-careful about going into it well rested.  I would be very interested to hear what your response is to this session in your 100miler.  Certainly already you would have a good psychological effect as you know now that you can complete the race.

Bit of a set-back here as I've switched back to a pair of Addidas trainers that caused blisters a few months ago - now my body from the hips down is grumbling - so much so that I struggled with a 10km recovery run last night.  Need to get myself into some ASICS if the supply problems of this country allow.  Unfortunate timing as I've a 10km race tomorrow that is going to be the measure of all the speedwork I've been doing recently.

Positively my RHR is gone down to 50 in the first time since I've been living at modest high altitude, but far away from the 38-42 of being fit at sea-level.  Still positive progress.

• Options

Goodest of luck GD - people with skills and the right attitude are always needed.

Crazy but admirable from Madbark. And SJ.

Had a quick read back, do I take it that KR is attempting a 100-miler? Excellent stuff and far more achievable than it sounds.  Mindset and a very slow start are what's required.

Comrades entries opened this morning - anyone dipped the toe? Who's going to keep Bike It company?

Back in blighty but off again soon, finding it really hard to organise what needs to be organised to solve what now appears to be a long term injury problem.  Also frantically busy with work image. Not much running to report image.

• Options

I think Comrades will be 2017 at the earliest for me, as still making progress with the marathon (at the risk of tempting fate), plus I am thinking that after what will have been 4 back-to-back marathon campaigns (autumn 2014, spring 2015, autumn 2015 and spring 2016) I will probably have either a lighter autumn 2016 or maybe do Chicago or New York for fun.  I'm still really enjoying my running at the moment, but I think something a bit different might be nice.

• Options

You'd do well at Comrades...why not try a UK 50-miler as a taster session. Ultras tend to have a different, more sociable/more relaxed & less pressurised ethos than road maras.

• Options
    The one other factor in the balance is that Mr Jools is American hence a trip stateside would make sense. I suspect he would steer me towards Chicago as that's where he studied.

Club session tonight was a rather gruelling 5 X 1.15 miles off what was notionally 2 minutes recovery although for the back markers like me it was more like 1.5. Still, 12 miles all in so a decent workout.
  • Options

Thanks for the best wishes, team. Looks like they want me to work my 3 months notice but I'm not leaving anything to chance. Started job applications today and have a first phone interview on Thursday. Not pinning any hopes as it's for a different sort of role, so I'm prepared for the long haul.

Had rubbish sleep over the weekend and was tired for the 10 miler yesterday morning. Had a sore throat too and would have binned it but a mate was joining me. Took it easy but then I puked my breakfast up after 3 miles, Strangely I felt better after that and we averaged 7.48 pace and I had to get him through the last couple of miles. Funny old game!image

GD

• Options

Sounds like you have the balance right Slokey of eat, eat, drink, exercise repeat. The weight will come off soon.

Good luck with the 1.40 pacing job PMJ. Do you have to carry one of those flags? Event I'm training for in the Equinox 24 in just under 3 weeks, although I might do a marathon too in late October.

A good month of running indeed there Badbark. Impressive mileage and results for the month.

Nice bit of trail running there GM and enjoying it too!

Nice bit of weekend activities Abbers.

I've found the back to back weekend long runs a good way to build up the endurance over the weeks. And doing this longer 24 training has been a good psychological boost too that I can do it. Although it has also prompted me to look at diet/food and water intake too.

My wife would kill me if I entered Commrades Poacher...

Cracking session there Jools and some good long term plans with the running. I'd love to do New York, but have heard it's quite expensive?

That 3 months notice is a good chance to looking out for something new G-Dawg. Sound like a rough 10 miler there, but I bet you're glad you finished it.

10 miles last night made up of 3 x laps round the local park with 8 @ 7.35 pace and the last 2 @ 8.30 pace. Then 10 miles tonight with 7 miles XC at the running Club. Can't get connected to Garmin Express at the moment after updating the software, so might have to uninstall and try again. image

• Options

So KR do you have your own crew? And what is the eating plan?

NY is expensive and not all that fast. Chicago is pretty flat and potentially much faster, depending on weather conditions.

• Options

I've just listened to last weeks Marathon Talk and I make the Jabra podium at about 1:17 on the download. image

• Options
    knight rider wrote (see)

Good luck with the 1.40 pacing job PMJ. Do you have to carry one of those flags? Event I'm training for in the Equinox 24 in just under 3 weeks.

Yes, it is with the guys at http://www.racepacing.com (DanA of the sub 3 thread and the xempo crew).

Lots of questions for the Equinox 24. As the name suggests, it is close to the equinox so 12 hours daylight and 12 hours dark, so there has to be some sort of tactics to exploit the light: I assume that is why you did the back t back with the short nap in the middle.

Looking at past results, somewhere in the mid to high teens of laps (so only 150k) seems to be a strong solo run, I guess 160k is the magic 100 miles. That is 8 lots of 20k in 3 hours: sounds manageable but that is a paper exercise! A few runners seem to have had a long split (so they actually slept) but most seem to plod on.

• Options

GDawg - A tough 10m done and out of the way

Joolska - Strong interval session, well done

Bike it - Can you import shoes from overseas or are you restricted?

Abbers - A busy weekend, if there was a Tri event for Biking, Running & Childcare youd be all over it.

GerardM - That 19m trail follwed up by faster session sounds like youve still got some skils and endurance firness, what Autumn Marathon are you thinking about?

Lorenzo - Ive heard of box hill what is the climb?

BB - a fruitfull August, what is Septembers goal?

KR - you make the big mileage sound almost like an adventure, what kind of nutrition do you need to take on for the Equinox?

After a good rest day on Monday hit a 10m LT rund home from work @ avg HR 155 avg 6:55 mm. Left the car here overnight so had to run back in again this morning, shorter rout 7.5m @ recovery. Planning two big weeks of 60 and 64 then into the 2 week taper for Berlin. I wish it was now!!!               

• Options
    Looking good PJF - what's the pacing strategy for Berlin?

You are famous BB! Good man.

Good luck with the pace-making PMJ. Have you ever paced a marathon? I'd imagine it is quite a rewarding experience.

9miles yesterday including 4x2k@10k pace then 1k@5k pace off 400m recoveries. Definitely getting stronger. Must be all the wine from last week....
  • Options

Yes I will be entering Comrades - no rush yet as there is an initial flurry of entries and then it fills slowly to the limit by end November.  It's the chance of medal 4 on the way to my ambition to run 10 times and get my number permanently allocated to me - the Green Number.

2017 will be an up run Jools, which I think would suit you better than the down.  I also think you would do rather well.....

There are no restrictions on imports PJFrizzle - just you have to pay import duty, hope the stuff doesn't get stolen and wait.  I am still having a battle since March for shoes ordered and money paid but not sent from the supplier due to bank issues (paid from a UK bank and not received in the designated bank in SA).  Product is available locally but is often old stock at full global price.  In the meantime I've shifted running where I can to dirt road and grass to minimise shoe wear.  Good LT run there PJFrizzle as well.

I share your frustration with Garmin Express KR.

• Options

Slokey - I'm thinking 7:15mm and see where I am at 23miles then jack it up or grind it out. I do all my training on my own so could benefit from finding a buddy for the last 6m. That is a good strong 9m run.             

• Options
    Sub 3:10 image I'm sure you'll do very well PJF and sounds like you are being very sensible. Berlin is a great race. Would love to do it again and maybe cross the finish line unaided next time.
  • Options

Hmmmm sub 3:10 i'll still set my sights on sub 3:15!    

• Options

A good link to the pacing website PMJ, something I'd like to do at some stage.

Yes the Equinox race is supposed to be equal light/night time. The only thing to take into account at night is the cold and dew, but weather will be a big factor too so got to be prepared with changes of clothes etc. It's hard to know what some runners did in their longer laps as it is chipped timed when you finish a lap you can go off the course. So you are free to sleep/eat/toilet/massage etc. I think the guy that won it certainly didn't sleep, but probably had a few rests here and there. My tactic is the run/walk theory, starting at a really easy pace and never getting under 8.30 pace and hope for the best. I'm not planning on sleeping (but that may change at 3am!) as I think the stiffness in the legs will set in. As far as distance is concerned, they advertise it as a 10k course, but last year we were all measuring just under at about 5.95 miles per lap. But there were a few tight turns, so the magic number would be 17 laps to ensure 100 miles to be on the safe side.

I'll also be trying a product called Tailwind which is a calorie, hydration and electrolyte drink. Salf has used this on her Ultra/trail runs and swears by it. So that's a good endorsement for me!

Looks like your training is going well PJFrizzle

Nice 2k session there Slokey

• Options
    Tailwind seems to get a good following in the ultrarunning community. Haven't tried it ....yet. Sleep is for wimps KR. You shouldn't even stop for toiletting unless it's a number 2 (and that should be done with a slight squatty shuffle to maintain momentum).

PJF - with Garmin inaccuracies your target pace would probably leave you North of 3:10 but I'm counting on you having a "Mo like" sprint finish.

Spin brick session today with 45mins ave 102rpm (last 5mins at 130 - don't know how Froomey does it) followed by 20minute progressive run.
  • Options

Delighted with a new PB here of 42:35 for 10K. Previous best was 43:52 so 77 second improvement and at altitude as well.  It's a marker for me of turning the corner after 2 years of injury and then slow performances.

It was a night race starting at 6:30 in the evening.  Lit all the way by streetlights and going through residential areas.  It was absolutely brilliant to race at night - I would recommend it if you get the chance.  Thankfully cool at 19C after last week getting to 24C at the same time after 30C daytime temperature.

Given my flat conversion of 10km-HM-marathon it bodes well for decent times in longer events.  Fingers crossed the training to get back some speed can continue.  Of course I am already thinking of the sub-9 finish in Comrades that has eluded me in the last  2 outings there.

Onward and upwards

• Options
    Great stuff BI!
  • Options

Bike it - Get in! Well done and delighted for you. Your patience and perseverance has paid off. Nice one! image 

PJF - My recent 19 miler consisted of 50/50 trail/cliff path and road so not all hard-core stuff. Still  pleased with 7:52mm average and that felt ok apart from a slight wobble about 16 miles in but I had no brekkie or fuel but just kept going. I hit the button tonight and entered my local marathon here in Jersey. First long run in two years and I am up for it. Hah, it's more a longing to be part of the event than anything and I'm not expecting anything remarkable (in relative terms). Hopefully I can stay healthy and make it to the start line and I'll be happy. You sound like you are in good nick. Which one are you doing?

Badbark - A podium in a marathon deserves a mention when you are talking marathons. Fair play boy! image

Abbers - Cheers! What's on the horizon for you?

SJ - You seem in fine fettle. What's your plan?

Rest day here after 5 consecutive days of running clocking 63k/39 miles. Legs feel grand. In other news parkrun is finally arriving in Jersey. Starts end of September. 5k is my favourite distance so I'll be having some of that. image

• Options

A belated hurray for Madbark on his leisurely 2:57 marathon finish. Super low HR and sounded like a beautiful, controlled run.

GD, bummer on the work front. Fingers crossed you find something terrific. Out of something bad usually comes something good!

KR, you are an ultramaniac. Way to fit a week's mileage into a day!

Hi GM!

Nice LT run PJF. Good luck down the stretch. And I'd suggest finding a buddy for the first 20, then go into the zone for the last 6!

SJ keep drinking the wine!

BI, you are back! Really nice result for you and well earned!

So this has been my summer of pushing boundaries. My monthly mile progression since March (starting back after 2 months no running w/stress fracture) has been: 117, 202, 231, 232, 291, and 325. Last year, I peaked around 220/230ish for my 2 marathon builds. So am definitely in unchartered waters. Last week had a bit of a break through subLT (10M at 6:45 m/m) and Monday proved is wasn't a fluke as had a stronger run of 10 m at  6:51 m/m on a much harder course. That's the good news. The bad news is I've been having some soreness/pain at the bottom of my abdominals. A couple years ago I had a sports hernia in this very spot. The pain has built up over a few weeks, peaked last week, and has gotten better but not gone away since then. So took yesterday off, saw fizz today, and she thinks I need some core work to shore things up at this higher volume but that I'll be OK. I'm taking today and tomorrow off as a precaution (it feels worlds better already) and will test things Friday with an easy run. If that is good, I'll plan a few more easy runs, then do the super hilly 25K Monday. I'm hoping I caught this in time as it would be a shame to not see what I could do in October after a solid build. When I saw a 300 mile total for Aug I though immediately of Moof from last year (as he hurt himself after a similar month!).

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Hate reading this thread after a bad week. You are all doing so much and I am eating and drinking to excess on business trip in Paris. A definate blip in my GNR training  plan image

• Options

Official Cutback week there OOimage

• Options
    Congratulations Bike It! I love evening races, too.

Nice training, GM.

VT: wow, that's big miles for sure.
  • Options

PJF - you're shaping up very nicely for Berlin.

SJ - another sounding in a very good place with their fitness/progress at the moment, both in trainers and on the bike.

BI - congrats on the shiny new PB. Import situation sounds a pain though!

KR - a pretty daunting prospect, you have my admiration for even attempting it!

GM - so when's the Jersey mara? Good news about parkrun kicking off soon too. My plan is the Oxford HM on October 11, and depending on results there, possible other local events in November (Lordshill 10 miles, Gosport HM). If I finally bag the elusive sub-90 (5 years and counting) at Oxford, I'll more likely build for something else in the spring, although not sure what at this stage.

VTR - those are big miles, so not surprised you're seeing fitness improvements and that your body is grumbling a little. Don't risk it all!

OO - Paris sounds excellent though image

So Tuesday was supposed to be 1 mile intervals, but after doing the first in 6:08 gave up on the rest as the tank was empty and I was coughing a lot; it would seem I've been harbouring some kind of virus as I've barely stopped coughing since! Don't feel unwell, just coughing. 6 easy yesterday, and then the car broke down on the way home, overheating due to a faulty thermostat, so working from home today while the garage does the business. Then off on cricket tour tomorrow for the weekend; always one of my favourite times of year! image Usually fit in a run on the Saturday morning to sweat out some of the beer and might combine it with the Exeter parkrun if I'm not too hung over and can get up in time.

• Options

Apologies for not reading back, but congrats to BI on the new 10k PB. And best wishes to GD - sorry to hear about your redundancy. Hope you can find a new job that is really fulfilling.
    Things not good here on the running front. My back had improved and was hoping to get back on the road this week, but I was moving furniture around after the usual Bank Holiday decorating and am now back to square one. So that's now three weeks of low mileage, 2 weeks off near enough, and probably another low mileage week when I do start back. Autumn Shakespeare is looking less and less likely unless I just use it as a training run.