Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sub17 you have a good parkrun pace when on form. I'd focus on that and gradually build mileage.
    My GP was a bit of a letdown, settled into 6:09 pace and finished well down.
  • Options
    sub17parkrun - good to hear from you again - best of luck with the training for your marathon.
    Birch - nice session with a good variety of reps. I'm driving over to South Yorkshire with Mrs GD on Friday evening and staying overnight not far from the country park. Are you around on Saturday?
    SBD - steady progress - oodles of time yet. My last 2 marathons were the Oct 2016 and 2017 Norfolk Coastals. Last proper road marathon was in March 2015 (although the White Peak marathon in May 2016 was pretty much all on decent paths if I remember correctly).
    OO - that's still pretty good considering it's not long since NY!
    6 miles this morning with 6 x 0.25M @ MP. Didn't take splits. Still undecided about whether to  do a few easy miles tomorrow, but will definitely take a rest on Friday. Thinking back to a very decent 16 miler I did while on holiday after 3 days rest, I am leaning towards having another good night's sleep and 2 days rest. Now thinking about the carb-load and am looking to keep the overall intake about the same but try and increase the percentage of carbs. Not sure how to do this as I think my diet is already fairly biased towards carbs!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

SBD- It'll all just click soon. Good progress.

oo- Decent so soon after a mara without doubt. Your cv system will still be recovering.

Gul, personally I would take the rest for 2 days and concentrate on sleep and rest. Re carb loading, easy carbs can be had from drinks like OJ and sports drinks. This is one thing I add in that I don't take on board on a daily basis to bolster things.

Hilly 8 mile mlr last night. 8.06mm pace for 140 hr with about 400 plus feet of climb. At my peak in September I did this at about 7.50mm for 140 hr so getting back there.

Just some bodypump tonight with a meaty 6 mile tempo planned for tomorrow.

• Options
    Sub17ParkRunSub17ParkRun ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I plan to run Sydney Marathon in September 2019. Plenty of time to get my weight down and train towards running sub 3:30. Park Run time down to sub 19 minutes would be a good indicator of fitness that I could handle a 3:30 marathon. I will log my long runs of 15 to 30km and and build endurance to run a 42.2km marathon. Water only no gels on training runs. Drink plenty of water,  Protein shakes, egg white omelettes, white fish, chicken breast and plenty of salads and vegetables and some fruit. For breakfast:Small bowl of muesli + Natural Yoghurt and Chia seeds. I have 2 or 3 black coffees per day and stick to water. No alcohol and no soft drinks.

A good cardio exercise: I like to do is run 30 to 40 minutes up and down a 240 stone step staircase, Jacob's ladder, that over looks a picturesque natural park and river in the Perth CBD. 10 times up and down is what I aim for that is 4800 steps, a few sips of water as I allow my heart rate to recover from going up the steps. Far better than being in a gym running a on treadmill alongside a  bunch of smelly people. 
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Gul - fwiw, I'm with DT, and would go for the 2 day rest.   Yes, I plan to be at RV, but possibly not for the start - there's a schools XC meeting at10am (I attend these, as I assist my friend's school with the training) - although might be able to "pass" on this one.  A pal is doing the marathon also , but he will be around the 5 hour mark. So, I hope to at least make it over there to see you in the later stages. 

5 very easy miles this morning, to ease the legs out after yesterday's session.  Very mild.  
  • Options
    Sub17ParkRun - with your pace estimates I don't think a sub 3:30 should be any problem at all if you get those consistent long runs in. Sounds like you are going to go all out with the training so good luck with it! Those stair sessions will definitely be a killer.

Gul - I use the High5 EnergySource during carb loads - a good easy eay to hydrate and get a decent amount of carbs in without filling yourself up (I think they might have changed the name now though)

Good hilly run DT - very low HR for a decent effort.

Tough luck on the GP OO although 6:09 sounds like a blistering pace in my mind.

Good mileage SBD, getting up there.

First run since Gower today as I managed to tweak something in both feet/ankles on the rough stuff on Saturday. Can't do track because of work so a good 1 hour session on the treadmill with incline - 15min warmup; then 6 x 800m, 2 minute jog, finished with a 6:40 mile and another 15minute cooldown.

I set the 800m parts usually @ 2:50 - 3:00 pace; speeding up about 10 seconds before I am due to start, eating into the jog a bit; then run 3mins no matter what pace is set - this way I can ensure I have a decent length of pace and can measure the run into 5 minute sections. I find it a good way to make the run go quickly. About 8 miles total.

• Options
    DT19 - thanks, I have taken a rest today and will do so again tomorrow. Sounds like you're recovering well.
    sub17 - good training plan. The 240 step staircase overlooking a park and river sounds awesome, but the session must be a killer!
    Birch - that would be great to see you if you can make it - I should be around for a while after finishing as some of Mrs GD's family are coming over from various parts of Yorkshire to meet up.
    nick - good session. My new-ish garmin is rubbish for programming any kind of session (basically you can't do it!), so unless I keep endlessly checking the watch for time or distance the only way to do intervals is on a set route where I know approximate distance markers. Serves me right for going for the "cheap" option.
    Took Mrs GD out for a treat last night to see a Brendan Cole dance show and walked into the edge of the car door in the car park. Spent the first 30 mins of the show thinking, "I need to get some ice and ibuprofen gel on my knee"! Fortunately there doesn't appear to be any damage done.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Take care Gul- annoying those running injuries not caused by running!
    Steady 10 miler felt good last night, bodes well for the weekend. Get my first swimming lesson tonight- must be the best part of 50 years since the last one ;)

All sounds promising Nicko
  • Options
    Gul Darr - my TomTom strap broke so also GPS-less at the moment, one of the reasons for the dreadmill - although I do find them sometimes easier to get through mentally than on road. Otherwise I do the same, working out waypoints on MapMyRun.

If you're looking to change watch I do recommend the TomTom Runner 3 Cardio, been great and has loads of training features.

Hopefully the knee does turn out to be OK - a stupid injury now would be a kick in the nuts.

OO - don't forget your pyjamas so you can swim to the bottom and pick up the big black brick :smiley:

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Now I’m hats something I definitely couldn’t manage!
  • Options

SBD - Glad to see you are back to it, take it easy though!

DT - Hope the tempo goes well, my favourite session!

Sub17 - That stairs session sounds brutal! FWIW I ran 3.22 of a 19.35 Parkrun PB so 3.30 should be more than acheivable

Gul - Be careful!! I echo Nicko in that I use SIS energy drinks for carbloading. Plus extra porridge!

Nicko - That looks a decent session, have you got another race in the diary?

OO - Enjoy the swimming lesson! I could definitely do with some lessons on my technique, its useless!

Had a pretty rubbish session last night of 8 x 3mins off 90s recovery. Was supposed to do the first two at 10k effort then work down to 5k pace. Could feel from the first rep that my legs weren't going to play ball. Reps pretty much all came out at around 6.08 pace even though I was definitely pushing harder later on! Slightly disappointing but I'll forget about it an move on.

Just the 13m with 6m tempo to do on Saturday now, although my mate wants to come running so I may take the opportunity of having some company for once and just do it as a LSR

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

solid session, Nicko.

Gul, glad you took the rest. hope the knee is ok.

OO- I had swimming lessons about 7 years ago, however mine was not to perfect technique it was literally to learn to swim from scratch so I could play with kids in pool as they got older. I can now swim etc but don't like it and could never do anything competitive.

Stevie, bad sessions happen. Just need to move on.

9.5 miles over lunch with a 6 mile tempo. Came out 6.29 average for 168 hr. Target was hr between 165 and 170 more than a pace driven run.

I haven't done a session like that in a while and it felt tough going and tells me I am definitely not as fit as I was 8 weeks ago. Not by much though. Brass monkey is 8 weeks sunday so that should give me time to drag myself back and hopefully beyond pb shape.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I like your tempo sessions DT. Wicked skills, solid work!!  

Enjoy the swimming, OO. I last did prolonged swimming sessions 7 years ago as part of rehab for my reshaped hip joint. Couldn't run for 9 months. Never really liked it but got up to doing a mile per visit with a few stops at the end of the pool.

I'm going for the London Classics medal next September. Having Run London, done the Ride London 100 mile cycle event, I just need to swim 2 miles in the Serpentine to get the big London Classics gong. I'll buy an average priced wetsuit and train once or twice a week in local open water swimming centres (3 near here) during the summer months. Hopefully it will help with my New York campaign (subject to GFA acceptance in January).

WFH today so managed a a lunchtime 8 miler. Out and back lumpy route, so ran it steady to hard with some hill attacks. Came out at 6.51 pace with three 6.3x splits which really pleased me. 
  • Options
    Stevie - just Bath Half in the calendar at the moment but going to look for some more, probably another trail one. Need to look at what Spring Mara I will do, if I do one, and await Berlin announcement.

DT - that's a solid tempo.

G-Dawg - also an excellent pace - looking good.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    nice running, gdawg. I thought you had to do all the events in same year but obviously not. 

How does ny gfa work? the event site suggests it's mainly from certain races then everything else is first come first served. my half time would get me in it. 
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Spoke to a couple of people last week and they said that that regular races that would give a London GFA are eligible for NYC. 'SHOULD' be OK. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I win as swimming with the tri group who have a couple of coaches. Got a few useful tips. I was one of the slowest but I hung in and enjoyed it. I’m swimming twice a week now I’m retired.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    The worst part was when they asked me to do a length of backstroke- that nearly finished me off..
  • Options

Hi gang! Sorry I've been AWOL for a while. Just wanted to pop in and wish Gul all the very best for this weekend and OO too. I will try to catch up soon and good luck to any other racers too. Keep on keeping on guys and gals (speaking of which) where are they?! ;)

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Good luck, Gul - you've done the work, you're set for a good 'un !  what's your number?  
  • Options
    OO - I try to avoid swimming - convinced that I picked up a couple of calf injuries through poor technique. Good luck this weekend!
    nick - my watch is working okay - just doesn't have the capability of setting interval sessions. No track available either at silly o'clock so most of my reps are done at the park. Knee seems fine thanks.
    Stevie - don't sweat it - sure we all have sessions that don't go to plan. Enjoy the LSR if that's what you decide to do. Oddly enough, I've been having less porridge than usual to avoid piling on the weight during the last week of the taper! I did consider using water instead of milk to increase the carb % but couldn't face the bland taste.
    DT19 - 8 weeks should be just right to peak again.
    GD - nice hill work.
    GM - thanks - hope all is well.
    All fine here - managed to avoid any more accidents! Looking back at my training over the last 18 weeks, I'm fairly pleased. The mileage has been a bit up and down due to weekends away and a full taper for the HM, but I'm happy that I've put in enough miles including MLRs and LRs plus some quality sessions, so feeling confident for tomorrow. This is a summary:-
    wk # w/c total miles time avg pace key sessions
    1 16/07/2018 60 07:50:28 07:50 17M, 12M, 9M inc. 5@LT
    2 23/07/2018 61 07:51:51 07:44 17M, 13M, 11M
    3 30/07/2018 64 08:26:35 07:55 16M, 14M, 12M, 10M inc. 5@LT
    4 06/08/2018 74 09:36:04 07:47 20M, 14M, 12M
    5 13/08/2018 47 05:55:03 07:33 15M, 15M, 10M inc. 4@LT
    6 20/08/2018 64 08:12:40 07:42 18M, 14M
    7 27/08/2018 80 10:12:49 07:40 20M, 15M, 13M, 11M
    8 03/09/2018 75 09:51:06 07:53 24M, 15M, 12M inc. 6@LT
    9 10/09/2018 75 09:44:57 07:48 18M, 15M, 12M
    10 17/09/2018 66 08:27:14 07:41 16M, 11M, 9M inc. 6x800m
    11 24/09/2018 76 09:53:54 07:49 22M, 15M, 12M inc. 7@LT
    12 01/10/2018 55 07:10:16 07:49 15M, 11M inc. 3x1M/6x200m/2M,9M inc. 5x600m, 8M inc. 17x400m
    13 08/10/2018 36 04:27:59 07:27 GER (HM), 7M inc. 4x0.5M
    14 15/10/2018 33 04:34:31 08:19 11M
    15 22/10/2018 68 08:48:02 07:46 20M, 16M, 12M inc.24x400m
    16 29/10/2018 63 08:27:07 08:03 16M, 11M, 10M inc. 5x1km
    17 05/11/2018 39 05:05:46 07:50 12M, 8M inc.3x1M
    18 12/11/2018 18 02:24:24 08:01 7M inc. 4 x 0.5M, 6M inc. 6 x 0.25M

Total miles 1054 in 5 days and 14:36:22, average pace 07:48/m.
    The course is 9 laps - not sure if there are mile markers, but if not then will go by lap time. My plan is to try and keep it very easy for the first lap or two and then settle down somewhere around 21:30 per lap - if it's nearer 21:00 then I'll go with the flow, but will try and keep it from dipping much below that at least for the first 6 laps. Then will just see how I feel towards the end. 
    All packed up and ready to set off after work and a quick evening meal. Weather forecast looks pretty good. Really hoping I can finally get a decent time. 
  • Options
    Birch - Thanks. I'm no 35.
  • Options
      Gul - Im going for the LSR option to enjoy some company :). Huge good luck for tomorrow, I'm confident you will surprise yourself. I'd get rid of a couple of those sandbags first though! :D
  • Options
    Good luck Gul. Leave it all out there and smash it!
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    All the best Gul relax and enjoy!
  • Options
    Go for it Gul!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Best of luck, Gul. You have trained so well and completely deserve a solid outcome!!

6 at recovery today.

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    That's an excellent campaign Gul - good luck tomorrow, hope everything goes to plan.
  • Options
    Good luck Gul - don't forget to relax and enjoy it!
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Thanks for all your best wishes, guys. Arrived in South Yorkshire safely last night; slow journey as usual from Norfolk. Now drinking very strong coffees and eating croissants and banana for breakfast; didn't have the nerve to sneak in a microwave like Poacher! Feeling good and looking forward to the race!