Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    Lou Diamonds wrote (see)

literatin wrote (see)

Here's one. I've seen a really hardcore one in the past that offered different ideal weights for different race distances and recommended being basically pretty underweight (but not under 110lb) for optimal performance, but can't find it now.

That one's crazy. It suggests that if i lost 4lb my 10k time would improve by 51 secs. 

The age one is good though. I'm a svelt 36min runner trapped in the body of an injury prone 40 yo.

Haha - its interesting that it ignores height completely. So as I am 144lbs I don't gain much on the ideal weight calculation of 143lbs.

Must gain a lot on the age portion though because my 38:52 10k drops to 35:31 - can't find the box to adjust for the fact that I did it in my normal trainers though!image

• Options

The weight only one is mental though - it does not seem to think there is any optimum weight and you just keep getting faster the lighter you get - cue anorexic runners everywhere!image

Both of them suggest though that if I was up with the rest of you (except Lit) at 11 stones+ then I would be way slower - for possibly the first time in my life I am happy to be skinny!!image

• Options

Richard - good luck in the parkrun tomorrow - still looking forward to reading about your eating exploits.

Anyone else racing this weekend?

I've got a fairly heavy couple of days of training - the 3*2 at HMP off 90secs tonight and then the 16 miles LSR on Sunday.

Cheers, Skinny

• Options
    Richard Hill 27 wrote (see)

Got my Cumbrian Run number yesterday - number 21, which was half my age image

Mine not arrived yet - hope dog hasn't eaten it.

40oz steak sandwich!image I don't eat burgers because I don't eat white bread and none of the fast food chains cater for wholemeal bread eaters - probably added ten years to my lifeimage

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Richard - Man v Food is legendary but did you know Adam Richman has dropped 4 stones since he packed it in !!?? Not surprising really as, like you say, some of that stuff he tucked away beggared belief.

Good luck with the sessions Skinny, i did both the 3x2 and 16 long last week and i think i may be falling in love with the 3x2 image

Interesting comments re racing shoes and it makes sense so long as it doesn't affect form so as to cause injury. Prompted me to weigh my GT1000'S ... knocking on for 400 g in a size 10 !!!

So a quick dabble with Lit's link tells me if i was born 22 years later and stopped eating for a month i'd be good for a 34:32 10k, a 1:18 half and a 2:45 mara. And no doubt a pair of them yellow Kinvara's would see me challenging for world records image Something to aim for i spose ...

Thinking of hammering a parkrun tomorrow to see where i am, ready for next week.

• Options

Sounds like you had a good trip Richard. That steak sandwich sounds ridiculous, I can't believe anyone could eat it in one sitting, or why you would want to for that matter.

According to the weight only calculator, I can shave 55 seconds off my 10k time if I lose 4lbs, not sure it's quite that easy.

My hip doesn't seem to have reacted to the slight increase in pace last night, might try a longer run on sunday, at an easy pace.

• Options

Just found this, which takes into consideration height.

http://www.serpentine.org.uk/pages/advice_frank01.html

• Options

Oh no - so I am a stone too skinnyimage - still at least that gets me out of fasting for 72 hoursimage (good luck with that Maceimage)

Mace - if you do a parkrun good luck - time should be interesting bearing in mind your current fitness levels - fingers crossed you get through it unscathed.

• Options
    Lou Diamonds wrote (see)

I could have been a contender...I could have been a someone, now I'm caught up in the rat race, feeling like a no one.

Name that choooon. No Googling. image

Sounds a challenging weekend's training, Skinny - enjoy!

Trip sounds great, Richard. I've heard others say that about the White House. Good luck with the parkruns tomorrow to you and Mace if he goes ahead. Considering one myself after last week's bug compromised slight disappointment. The near perfect forecast (high cloud, 13C, light winds at 9am) looks too good to resist, and could also provide some immediate feedback on the effect of shiting a pound or two!

Another interesting link, Tommy. I'm about where I need to be based on that.

Like this in rule 9 too: "It’s a good idea to keep well occupied during a fast: sex is a good diversion...image

• Options

Bob - Reverend and the Makers., heavyweight champion of the world. Great band.

• Options

Correct on both counts, Tommy. image

And that was supposed to say 'shifting' not 'shiting a pound or two' in my last post! image

• Options

Either might work though Bob!image

• Options

Great, Tommy, thanks for linking to an article about how I need to lose a stone just after I'd eaten some crisps.

• Options

Bob - hadn't spotted that typo! 'Megalolz' as the kids say.  

• Options
    literatin wrote (see)

Great, Tommy, thanks for linking to an article about how I need to lose a stone just after I'd eaten some crisps.

Send it to me and we'll both be perfect!image

• Options

Skinny - Indeed!

It's all that strength work in your case rather than blubber though isn't it, Lit? You shy away from it, but by rights you probably ought to be better suited to MD than Long Distance if you weren't such a coward about shying away from the required pace. image

And let's be fair, if optimally trained for your preferred distance would you rather be built like Dafne Schippers...

http://www.futbolyconsolas.es/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Dafne-Schippers1.jpg

...or Ingrid Kristiansen...?

http://myrevolution.no/blade/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Ingrid2.jpg

* Drifts off into daydream about Schippers *

• Options

I'm already built like Dafne Schippers. image

• Options

And I'm built like Ingrid Kristiansen (give or take a bit or twoimage)

• Options
    literatin wrote (see)

I'm already built like Dafne Schippers. image

And I'm long enough in the tooth to know that further comment from me either way on that one has no possibility of leading anywhere good, so... image 

• Options

Lit - according to the Serpentine link that Tommy posted you are the right weight but the wrong heightimage - your 124lbs is perfect for a 5ft 6" woman long distance runner - it even says it in the document.

You need to do more stretching exercises - have you ever tried hanging upside down on a rope using your foot for support?image

• Options

Now you mention it... I bet I'm at least 5'5 already.

• Options

Richard - Bob has actually met me in real life so knows whether or not my claim is true! In fairness, I think Dafne is a bit taller than me. image

• Options

5'10.5" and weighing in at 140lbs - so actually she is 1.5" shorter than me and 4lbs lighter  - so more similar to me than you????????????????????image

• Options

So Skinny, you are basically saying that you look like Dafne Schippers?

• Options

image - ask Richard!

• Options
    Richard Hill 27 wrote (see)

Dafne Schippers is a very attractive lady though!

I think he fancies you...

• Options

How much weight would he save If he was to run in a crop top and briefs?

• Options

Morning Richard - that time is also slower than half your 10k time from other week so certainly not a true reflection of your current fitness - perhaps the long flight back from US still in your legs?

At first I thought that 3 times up the hill at the Carlisle parkrun had found you out but I see you went to Bedford.

Was a parkrun the week before Cumbrian Run in my training plan last year?image

• Options

Woke up early and made a last minute decision to go to parkrun to test out my hip and see if I'd lost much fitness. Decided to not take the watch and just run by feel. 

Felt I ran within myself until the last km or so when I sped up,caught and passed 3-4 others. Just got my time through....20.54. Which is a 43 second PB...distance specific training is overrated! Actually, my previous 5k time was pretty soft, although I am surprised with the time given I've just been plodding round on low mileage for a few weeks.

Good to catch up with Bob afterwards for a bit of a cool down.

School boy error not having a parkrun barcode Richard! But as skinny says that time isn't an actual reflection as to where you're at. 

• Options

Nice work Tommy - that's a massive PB on reduced mileage and no quality - suggests there's lots more to come!image