Options

P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• Options

Funny you say that, the last 2 days I have been having doubts on my sub 3 hour target, can't put a finger on the reasoning just something niggling at the back of my mind, hopefully its just me over worrying.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Fiona - the runs in last week, and especially last 3 days before marathon are just to keep you feeling fresh. You can do less if you want (especially if you have any injury/niggle concerns).

• Options
    stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

Craig, I think we'll all have periods of doubt about our target time during training (at least I know I do).  You're also likely to have doubts about maintaining the pace during some points of the race.  Its all part of the mental aspect of racing.  You have to learn to accept you'll have them and trust in your training to pull you through and to dispel the negative thoughts.

I've been looking forward to the taper and the reduced mileage as getting a bit tired now, but it doesn't appear to reduce as drastically as I expected!

I found this explanation of the P & D approach (apparently its in the book as well)

http://www.humankinetics.com/news-and-excerpts/news-and-excerpts/pfitzinger-shares-tapering-strategies

It does mention that younger runners may require a shorter taper, but then contradicts this by saying a three week taper is better than a two week one.  

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Craig - you did a 1.21.xx half recently  I think - That is a 2.55 conversion. Youve done the endurance so a sub 3 is defo on the cards. - I am a 1.23.xx so am in the grey area.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Craig - if you can run a 81min half marathon and have done all the endurance stuff required by this training plan,  you can run a sub 3 hour marathon.

• Options

I ran a 1:20 half a few weeks back, that should set me in good stead, I have never had any doubt, just the last 2 days, something has crept in.  I have run a 1:20 and a 1:21, within 3 weeks, maybe because I ran the last one slower by a minute, even though it was tougher than Wrexham with wind and undulation, I'm probably being silly.  I have only missed one run and that was Sundays 21 as I had half marathon, just can't put my finger on it, i'll pull myself together soon.  15 mile later.

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

HeOw wrote (see)

If you compare this P&D plan to majority of other advanced plans, I would say this is far far harder than any of the Hal Higdons or Runners World ones.  We will ALL BE FINE!  I can see we are all starting to get jittery and doubt ourselves now.  All normal.  In roughly 2 weeks, we will start checking the weather obsessionally too.  Then, we will be posting that we feel like we are getting a cold and we have ran and feel sluggish.  Then we will be imagining we have an injury.  Basically, we are going to turn hysterical.

I see you have been following my "progress" young Padawan. image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Craig - you wait till TAPER MADNESS kicks in.

• Options

Craig - I have just messaged my friend in Oz who is following plan too and said "I am resetting my goal".  She told me to stop being stupid.  I agree re Sunday, I think we both suffered in some way mentally because it wasn't as "easy" as Wrexham BUT if you look at it that you were only a minute out of your PB from Wrexham on such a crap day, on a tougher course (you can see the wind on the video) you have got a lot fitter.  Only way you could compare the two HM times is if you ran on same course, same weather etc). 15W ran similar time to you on Sunday and has smashed a sub 3 already, you have lots of endurance in legs already, no reason why you won't do it.  You will be fine.  (Oh and yes, Breaking Bad is ace, was just about to reply to you on Facebook!).

15W, I think we have gone through both Manchester and Chester togeva, both times we were the lunatics on the threads during taper!  I think this time we should be the epitome of cool, calm, sophistication...  

Ten - image

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Good old Walter White - Watched it all on Netflix! Dont spoil it for me as I think they are about to put part 2 of series 5 upimage.

• Options

Ditto Men - we are just finishing series 3, Walter is a dude. 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Well...forecasters are now saying this cold weather is set to last till end of April...we will see. Maybe London will get cancelled due to the snow! Means just three seasons this year, spring has been cancelled.

• Options

HeOw - I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought it seemed a bit heavy during taper.  I don't think the first 2 weeks of the taper are that bad.  They seem to follow 75%, 50% of maximum roughly, but I can't see what is gained from doing 20 odd miles in the marathon week which is basically what I've been doing for the last few weeks before you add the long run.  I have no intention of doing that I'd rather be fresh than try to eek out anything further.

Chris - I think we all have doubts like that, it is only natural when you've put so much into the training to worry about disappointment on the day.

• Options

Oh dear when I look at that post I see I have my Craig and Chris mixed up. Apologies.

• Options
    15West wrote (see)

Well...forecasters are now saying this cold weather is set to last till end of April...we will see. Maybe London will get cancelled due to the snow! Means just three seasons this year, spring has been cancelled.

15, more likely spring will last until September, when we'll hit autumn. RIP Summer.

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Jeeeeeeez - too much going on here to catch up!

Seems like everyone is taper-mad before even starting their taper image

2 weeks taper is plenty in my book. A 3 week taper and I'd head for divorce.

• Options

Craig - Your times and training point much more towards 2.50 than 3.00. Trust the training and you will smash it. I still think you (and 15W) may dip under 2.50.

• Options

Fiona don't tell NN you're going to skip a mile or two from the schedule, she'll have you banned!

It is heavy though isn't it?

• Options

I have come to conclusion that I have overtrained, I think this plan is too much for me at the moment, my life doesn't allow me enough recovery - my body has simply started to give up on me recently and this will be my last marathon for 18 months I think.  I am selling my Snowdonia marathon place (sold out), if anyone to buy it? 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

HeOw - you might regret selling that. You have an absess that probably has nothing to do with all your training...and all runners pick up injuries at some point. Just see how you get on at Manchester, try and actually enjoy it instead of stressing about a time...and then reflect in the summer and see if you still want to sell that snowdonia place, it is supposed to be one of the best uk marathons after all (first dibs if you do sell!).

• Options

Don't sell that yet Helen, you will regret it, I have ran Snowdonia Marathon and have to say it is an experience, hard but you need to do it. It is in my eyes what marathoning is all about, its bloody tough and you may cry, but when you cross that line the feeling, I cannot describe.

Me tonight 15 miles up the lanes, it was like something resembling a cross country course, good testing run average pace for the run was 7:19.  

• Options
    I did MK last year in horrific weather and that was a week after London. I remember looking at the five day forecast in the week before and getting depressed about the yellow warnings. Unfortunately the forecast was accurate.

What I fear most re the weather is the combination of high wind cold and rain. I can deal with the cold. I can deal with moderate rain. But mix them all up and any sort of fast time goes out the window. High temperatures aren't good either... I am bit fussy about the weather though if it was identical to last Sunday and I was wearing the same kit as I was wearing then then I would be happy.
  • Options
    This weather is really starting to take the piss now. 14 more frozen miles here we fu**ing come!
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Surrey Runner wrote (see)
    Unfortunately the forecast was accurate.

Ten days before, they were predicting decent weather.  Then it all went tits up image

• Options
    Been sat on trains for about 6 hours in total, still not home yet, think the best I might do is a short recovery run tonight.

Good shout with Breaking bad, it's my favourite tv series. I dont think the second part of season 5 has finished filming yet so it won't be on Netflix yet!
  • Options

Fair play Ladies, I don't think I could have managed a 6th tonight. Great running. Noted on the taper NN - thanks. I guess that part of me is paranoid about endurance and though one final 20 miler may have been good for confidence. It seems cutting back is going to be the hard part!

• Options

Wife out tonight, might start watching this Breaking Bad tonight.

• Options

Another double post I can't get rid of sorry.

• Options

I know you are all right, I just feel totally wrecked this week and I think I am blaming training - although, I do need a break.  I suppose if I did decide to do it, I don't have to do this plan.  Feeling bit low, that's all.  I will cheer the fuck up once I can run again! 

Surrey - Manchester was exactly that weather, freezing cold, gale force winds and torrential rain.  I am not sure I would turn up if weather was like that again this year. 

Chris, get yourself another 14 miles in the bank, you will just have to hope it isn't a heatwave in few weeks! 

• Options

HeOw stick with it, I'm with 15w, who can predict a tooth absess and he's right forget the time it will look after itself as we are all fairly metronomic after this much training, enjoy the race and consider some of the options afterwards.

Chris I am glad you put that was a double post because it totally lost me!!image