Options

P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• Options
    Morning everyone!

Pottermiss, sorry to hear about the eye sounds nasty.

I was up at 4 this morning to run to work! 5 miles here then the same home.

I'm in the same boat as you Al, working loads at the moment and got loads of other stuff on, it's hard trying to fit everything in.

I was thinking of doing 22 miles on Sunday, I've done this as my last LR in previous marathons and it hasn't been a problem. Just don't hammer the pace of it!
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Al - probably everyone will disagree with me - but if you're up to it do the 22...you could take 2 miles off another shorter session.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I was planning to do 22 too, so if we're being idiots at least we can all do it together.

8 mile hilly run this morning in gorgeous sunshine. 8 miles is a really nice distance for a run. I'll be glad when all this marathon nonsense is over and I can get back to doing more of those! Was also breaking in some new shoes (identical to my current shoes) as I realised I'd had the other ones since December and have done the majority of my training in them, so well over 500 miles. I don't actually think it matters much, though, as I'm not heavy and they still feel fine, but this way I'll have options.

• Options

22 it is then. Mark, that's wise advice about not getting carried away with the pace.

Which is exactly what I didn't do today. It's nice outside and I really felt like running hard so I ran my MLR too fast, 13M average 7.29 pace and heart rate going over the limit. Oh well.

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

4m recovery with strides today image

Hoping my son catches the chicken pox quickly, so both kids are over it in time to travel to Brighton.  The daughter is still quite perky at the moment.  Meanwhile, the wife has a swollen face which might be an abscess.  Of course, the dentist is closed until Tuesday image  

What would P&D do?

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Good luck with getting the second kid infected, Ten. I still remember the horror of having chicken pox as a little girl, not actually feeling ill so much as how painful it was when the calamine lotion got in your hair and dried.

I think P&D would probably escape by getting outside for a run. But that might not make you popular with your wife.

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)

...But that might not make you popular with your wife.

That's okay.  Whatever I do is usually wrong in any case image

• Options

Had a 10K tune up race today, Salford 10K.  Time was around 36:20, a PB for me by about 40 seconds.  A good fast, flat course in cool conditions with a slight breeze.  After Wilmslow half on Sunday, a 15 mile run on Wednesday, 6 recovery last night my legs were feeling quite heavy and tight so I am very happy with the time.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Hey Craig - well done. Impressed you can race so soon after the half.

• Options
    Brilliant time that Craig, well done, especially in the middle of a tough week image

My 10k pb is 37.50 from last year, I'd like to try and get that under 37 mins this year.

You must be well on target for a fast time at London.
  • Options

Did the 22 miler today rather than on Sunday.  Tough doing 22 after 15 the night before, but then this is supposed to be an advanced program.  

Excellant time Craig, you should be on for 2.50 or better on the 21st.

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

HeOw: ouch!!!! I remember how much it hurts when they pull an infected tooth. Been there with a wisdom tooth once. You poor love. I have missed a lot of the earlier MP sessions due to ice and snow. I did the miles but had to cut back on pace in order to be able to stay upright. Not too bothered really.

Woke up to another half inch of snow this morning. Gaaaah image Luckily it was gone by the time I headed out.
    Last 22 miler banked image. Easiest of the lot. In fact I feel like I haven't run. 8:40 average pace, HR 69% of max.

Excellent 10k, craig image

• Options

Running...?  What the fuck is running?  Getting seriously fed up now, feel whacked out still and husband has had leg operation yesterday so he is bed ridden at the mo, so tackling everything isn't easy when not 100% and kids on hols.  Really hope I can get back on track next week. image

Well done again Craig, brilliant time.  

Surrey - bloody hell, 37 miles in 24 hours?! image  Well done.

Well done you also Chickadee, wish my HR was 69% of max at 8:40m/m!  Thanks for kind words also.  

Literatin - funny you say that re 8 milers, it is my favourite distance to do as a training run, long enough to feel like a workout but not too long to be pain.

Ten - hope your wife doesn't have an abscess - what a nightmare.  You sound like you are having a bad time like me.  Hope kids ok too. 

Al - do what you think is right, you know yourself best! 

• Options

You'll be back on track soon HeOw, your position sounds a nightmare to be honest, wishing you a speedy recovery back to running.

Hope eveyone else gets back to running ways.

Moves too quick this forum that I lose track of what people have done.

Snow is starting to slowly thaw here in North Wales, have a 7 mile recovery on Saturday with 20 on Sunday.  

Its Manchester i'm running, not London.

• Options
    Craig. Sub 3 is looking like an increasingly soft target for you. I'm pretty sure you have got a sub 2.50 in you.

Well done to all the long runners. Must be great knowing its all getting easier from here. NN you must be feeling good after that.

Heow, I really hope you are up and back soon.

22 miles planned for tomorrow. Followed by a planned 10k race on Monday which involves a 4 hour round trip on Easter Monday. My wife is not best pleased, but I am desperate to get a time to see what shape I am in and there are no races locally before London apart from 5ks. I am going to have to buy her and the kids plenty if Easter eggs to make up for it.
  • Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Alright gang - cracking 10k run Craig, would be interested in what your planning to through half at manchester - 1,25-1.26ish?

did 22.3 with 10 at mp today - was meant to be 20 but got my calcs wrong somehow. was 3 mins quicker at 20 (2hr 24 mins) than I was at VLM last year so a real confidence boost. Stats are 22.3 at ave 7.16mm with first 8 miles of MP at ave 6.49 and final 2 at 6.35 and 6.25 respectively. Bit of a head wind for 4 of the 10 faster ones so pretty pleased all told. Felt I could have easily held on to 26 if I wanted.

Ten - crickey - stay well mate!

HeOw - wont be long nowimage

Having a beer now.

• Options

Mennnania, thats a cracking run. Things are pointing towards possibly a quicker marathon time, not sure how to take it, probably stick too original pace of around 6:40, I don't know, i'm quite uncertain, just started to feel very strong recently.  But its only my 4th marathon, last one was Snowdonia the then a few weeks before that was my nightmare at Chester. I really don't want a nightmare and go off too fast and fall apart.  

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

HeOw/Men - So far I'm fine, except for pain in my fingers from keeping them tightly crossed all day long!  Hopefully all will be recovered soon.

Great running too Craig/Men.

• Options
    Oh ignore me, just a miserable bastard today - I am fit enough to recover pronto a and get back on the wagon. As long as I can get last long run in, the other sessions don't bother me. May switch the V02 and do a shorter tempo instead. I know the V02 are for speed but they aren't the bread and butter are they? **waits for everyone to say I'll lose my wheels mile 20 without them".

Cracking run Men! Brilliant! So pleased you've overcome the niggle you had.

Ten, sure all will be fine.

Chris good luck with long run and your poor wife!!

Craig, I think you're right to not want to blow up, you will always make time up second half if you start cautious because you won't hit the wall.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

You are right HeOw, VO2 not so important to marathon training as the long runs and the lactate threshold runs.

Good running everyone. SR and Men - impressive stuff.

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Hi peeps to much work and life getting in the way, HeOw ((((hug)))) hope your feeling more like yourself soon.

Ten keep well mate.

There has been some great running going on nice to see the half marathons didn't take to much out of you. I can see lots of PB's coming up nearly taper time.

felt a little out of sorts after last weekend but still did all the sessions and by Thursday I was running smooth again, think it was the cold getting into the old bodyimage but finished my MLR and a nice tempo session at 6:11 pace looking forward to this weekends last long run of 22 miles and then start to taper a bit image
  • Options
    Well I also did 22 miles this morning with av 9:15/ mile at average HR 158. So pleased with that and I could even have gone further. It's the first time I've ever felt like that.

Ten - I hope you've had chicken pox!

Craig - well done on the PB

Chick - that's a fantastic pace
  • Options

Just quick catch up I am meant to be working...just wanted to see who is lucky enough to now be officially tapering, by getting that last LR done today

Super long runs MEN and SR...

Wow you too FIONA great pace looking good for sub 3.50 at least image

CHICK well done a 22 at recovery hr ave at 8.40s is pretty impressive you must be feeling very confident. And while I am thinking about it, do you wear the Kinvaras for full marathon ?..I have done most of my running in them lately and everything seems fine, are they ok for racing full marathon distance ?

Well my A plan went out the window today spent the day with Grand kids who didn't go till 5 so all I had time was a quick 6 mile recovery before work.

Hope to set plan B in operation tomorrow, fingers cross for decent 5-6 hour sleep after my night shift then get a 20-21 in before coming back to work, at least the clocks go forward so an hour less to work image

Plan C is 20 when I get up sunday before my 3rd night shift.

Plan D (yes I have a plan D) is an 18 on Tues...wont do the full 20 as advised this unwise...so hopefully I wont have to resort to plan D image

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Thanks NP - glad you got through the energy slump.

Fiona - that sound like a fantastic run, well done!!  I had chicken pox as a kid image  I had it on holiday one year, and had mumps on holiday another year.  It seems I've passed the shit luck with timing on to my own kids image

NN - I really don't know how you do it!  You could write a book on how to maintain a flexible running schedule.

• Options
    Ten - well look at it this way, you could have avoided it on holiday as a child and be really devastated now!
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello all. 8 miles with some sprints this morning, then taking daughter swimming and then the two of us are heading south for easter and the remainder of next week to visit family. My runs will be along the SE coast of kent for 1st week of taper.

• Options

Morning all, long shift at work today, so will try to let other people do the stress stuff and relax.  Some great last long runs, Fiona, Men, Chick and SR.  NP good to see you back and hope the off few days have left you now.

Enjoy the warm south 15W!

My last long one tomorrow, 22 miles.

• Options
    Well done on the long runs done so far, it looks like most of us are ignoring the plan and adding an extra couple of miles this weekend!

Just looking at the next couple of weeks and they look so easy compared to what we've been doing lately.

Good luck this weekend!
  • Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Fiona: GREAT confidence booster for you. Well done image

Men: another impressive run from you. Imagine running faster in training than you did at VLM last year ... wow!!

NN: I do all my running in Kinvaras except tempo work.  I use Fastwitches for that. But I couldn't do more than about 10k in the Fastwitches because my feet are a bit dodgy. Used to be a gymnast in my youth and hurt both feet trampolining way back when. They never really got back to normal image
    If you did a few long runs in your Kinvaras with no issues you'll be fine during the race.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Thanks JF50 - I think weather better in Manchester to be honest.