Options

P&D Spring Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options

Wenty - in my experience of piriformis syndrome, what you need is to pay a giant cuban man 40 quid to grind his elbow into your arsecheek.

• Options
    Mine was a giant Jamaicanimage
  • Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

For those doing Helsby my number is 1607 if you want to say hello.

5 degrees, no wind, is that an acceptable temperature to just wear a vest on top? Freeze at the beginning or overheat at the end? Can't decide.

• Options

Vest and shorts, ramjet.

• Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

I'm sure you are right Lit. Will take some extra layers just in case I decide to wimp out though!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

...and gloves.

My number is 2066.

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

15west, ramjet, mennania, ?? - happy racing! do us proud! I will be resultsstalking

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Ramjet- vest and shorts is the only option. By the time you've warmed up you will be toasty!

I did 16 with 10 at mp today. No where near as comfortable as when I did the 8 at mp 5 weeks ago. I suppose I credit that with having a mild cold, the wind, it being my first proper training week since three weeks out at atrocious nutrition ( sausage roll from Gregg's and a barocca). 

My splits were 6.28 (162), 6.56 (169), 7.04 (172), 6.57(171), 7.07(173), 6.53(174), 7.09(175), 7.26(175), 7.16(174), 7.13(177).

A bit all over the place but that had a lot to do with wind strength. Ave pace was smack on 7.03. Last two miles were very much hanging on!!

So that's cycle 1 done and a rest day tomorrow. 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning all. Having pre-race breakfast. Have got my usual pre-race nerves giving me the pre-race shits. Going for my pre-race dog walk now. Not supposed to be raining this morning, but it is. I think Helsby might be a bit wet and muddy (although I have absolutely no idea).

• Options

It aint to bad over here 15W - It hammered down last night but is pretty perfect out there at the mo, calm and clear. 6degrees with a 5mph wind at kick off.

For whatever reason I have woken up without the prerace nerves and my HR strap aint working.image

DT19 - great effort.

• Options

Good luck to the Helsby racers! Looking forward to the reports. Ramjet - even if there is a slight drizzle, do not wear a rain jacket.

Well don DT19 - don't do the first mile of the actual marathon in 6:28 though.image

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Good luck racing folk!

Its deceptive, the first half mile was pretty downhill and wind assisted. I went for the time in the bank approach, which may have led to suffering in

• Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

Right the racing pants are on. Let's do this!

• Options

15West: I've signed up for the Richmond Running Festival and the Ealing half. They're a week apart..so will decide which to make the main race image The summer will be focused on getting faster for these.

Tenjiso: my GFA for London is 3:50, which is 30mins faster than my target time. As I've not run a marathon yet, I have no idea if it's possible, but going to try over the next couple of years.   I'm also running Silverstone. At the moment, I'm undecided about my approach. Either use it as part of the 17mile long run and run with my sister. My LSR pace will be her pace for a PB so will help her round. Or swap weeks around and do it as part of the 18m with 14 at MP, and leave the sister to it. Got a few weeks before I have to make that decision though!

Good luck to everyone running Helsby!

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Rachel - all being well, I'll be racing at Silverstone to find out where I really am with training and targets.

Great running weather this morning for once. The racers will be well happy if it's the same where they are (hope it is - good luck all).

Loads of runners out today! The most I've ever seen on a single run along my route. I guess the darker mornings tend to make more people start at similar times, making it more likely to meet.

12m MLR rounds off the recovery week. Back to the hard graft from Tuesday with an LT run. Woop-de-doo.

Jantastic updated. Time for dinner!

• Options

This thread moves fast... I've got some catching up to do!

Ran the Brass Monkey in York this morning and smashed my PB by over 10 mins. It is a fast flat course. The temp was perfect and full it was full of great big puddles, which made it really fun. Watch said 1.37.30! I started far too fast but managed to keep up the pace. I've no idea how but I did! One of my hamstrings completely tightened at mile 10 and I had to stop and stretch it. That's never happened before. Overjoyed with my time though - I seriously thought I'd never run anywhere near that time!

Hope the others racing this weekend had a good one. I've got some reading to do now to catch up!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello. Just back from Helsby. Got a gun time of 1.20.00 and a chip time of 1.19.33. That's a PB by 80s so pleased enough with that. Started quite a bit back as arrived a bit late, but the crowds spread out quite quickly so was able to get going. Good little race that, a few challenging hills, but mostly downhill for last few miles which helps you catch those PBs (but also kills the legs). Probably given myself DOMS for the next 2 or 3 days. Also had the honour of meeting Menmania at mile 8 and then at the end.

Car nearly didn't make it, think I'll have to book it into the garage this week.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Well done NSGNR - impressive PB.

• Options

Yay NDGNR and 15W for your PBs! excellent work image

• Options

Been dragged to the bloody shops after helsby so sittin in Starbucks with my feet on the sofa. 1.20.57 for me or thereabouts. over 90 second pb but didn't enjoy it as much as 15w who floated effortlessly passed me at mile 8 looking imperious!! (and the honour was all mine.) 79.xx is a proper serious landmark, superb effort and seriously well done.

Has left me thinking that a half in a full on Mara campaign is risky, doing two in a month may just be too risky.

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Looks like PBs all round at Helsby - well done - all happy with that I hope?

And NSNGR that's terrific.  I've been enjoying some nice big puddles round here too image

planning to skip next week's long run in favour of a 10K race so I did the 21 miler today. It was lovely but I struggled to get the chocolate milk down afterwards.

• Options

Well done to the Helsby runners! NSGNR, will you be changing your pace zones now? You probably ought to do those LT runs a bit quicker now. image

Congratulations too to 15W on managing to meet Mennania twice. I think he stood me and Fiona up last year at the VLM expo, if I'm remembering correctly.

• Options
    excellent work, racers !! P&D is doing its magic again image

11 miles up and down the mean big hill today. Probably a bit crazy after the MP run yesterday but legs felt ok this morning (it was another story as I started running - they totally hated me then). But I had missed this session when I felt a bit crap last week so the OCD side kicked in image
  • Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

PBs all round then! Can't compete with a 10 minute PB though - well done NSGNR! Well done 15W and Men as well. A PB of over a minute is a big jump at that level.

My race was awesome.

Got there almost an hour early but after queueing for the shuttle bus from the car park, queueing for the portaloo and queueing for the baggage drop there were only a few minutes left so no proper warm up for me.

Never mind, I warmed up by zigzagging around slow starters for the first half mile.

The plan was to get my first sub 90 half. This would be achieved by maintaining about 6:55 pace for the first ten miles and then blitzing the last 3 miles which are downhill.

The first 7 miles were a cruise. The sun was shining, the country roads were pleasant and I barely seemed to be breathing.

The 8th mile contained a climb and a 7:08 here made me wonder if I had started fading. However a 6:50 and a 7:00 over the next two miles put me back on track.

I thought that the course started dropping here but the 11th mile started with a nasty hill and the best I could do was another 6:50. I thought the target was out of reach here as I needed two very quick miles. However the 12th mile dropped 180 feet resulting in a 6:15. Wahey! Now I had over 7 mins for the last 1.1 miles so knew I was on track.

The 13th mile was a bit more undulating and only now did I want the race to end. However a 6:25 and a fast last 0.1 mile got me home in 1:29:19!

All in all a great course but so so organisation. I got the impression that this race had become rather overgrown and the organisers couldn't really cope with over 2000 people. Some people were queueing outside for over an hour after the race to get their bag back. If it had been wet and cold this would have been dangerous as they were still in there racing gear.

So a great race but you need to be a bit clever to avoid the queues.

• Options
    top stuff, Ramjet!!
  • Options

Well done to all the racers this weekend a cracking effort all round image

first 20 D&D last 5 were not pleasurable, hip flexor and glute pain, so I needed to stop a few times to stretch, which did help, I managed a PB in a HM last year of the training hoping for the same again late February 

• Options

Okay, think I've caught up now. Good to read about muscle bound thighs and skinny calves (or do you say calfs?). 15Ws VLM elite list made me laugh out loud, and i realise I am missing a 5 or 10 year plan... Seriously impressed with those that have one - I must read through your thread Ten. And Rachel - 4 stone? I'm in awe.

Some great running, and well done Menn and 15W on PBs too.

Lit - I'm wondering if you're remembering how difficult I find those sessions... Don't think there is any chance of me speeding up at all. Ever! 

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Absolutely stonking running you guys, I am in awe image

• Options

hurrah! Well done Ramjet - I'd be nervous as hell with that pacing strategy, but you smashed it!

• Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

Thanks guys. And Lit your advice was solid. I didn't feel cold at all in the race so an extra layer would have been a hindrance. And no, I wasn't going to wear a rain jacket!

Can't believe the beginner's error in my report though - "there" instead of "their". Must have been over-excited!