Options

Sheffield Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options

Hi Claire

9 miles in 1:40 is very good if you consider yourself to be a total beginner, so I think finishing in under 3 hours certainly wouldn't be a problem!

But that's providing you have put the mileage in whilst training.

If you say you haven't run all week and are supposed to be doing 12 miles this weekend, you might be putting undue strain on your body and risking injury (common among beginners upping to the mileage too suddenly - I've done it myself).

I'd suggest maybe aiming for 10, or at the very most 11, miles this weekend - despite the fact I prefer to have at least covered the full distance prior to running a race, it's generally true that if you've managed a 10-miler in the course of your training, you should - on the day - be able to manage that distance plus the extra 3.1 miles of the half mara.

Do try to put in some shorter recovery runs/different types of training runs on weekdays as well as your long weekend runs - have you been following a training programme?

The other thing is - don't run your long runs too quickly.  This may be why you felt you couldn't run any further on the last occasion...

You may well be able to run further if you ease your pace a little, thus having some extra energy reserves which are used up if you go off too quickly.

If you can manage 10 or 11 miles this weekend without strain, niggles or extreme fatigue, I'd say go for it!  But do be careful about risking injury.

And remember - if it's your first time, it's okay to walk when you need to.

• Options

There will probably be some nasty food, lots of rubbish trying to sell you stuff and if your lucky a medal? Not sure if they are doing medals this year? Anyone know?

Bunny, If your dads is paying and driving go up to the Ladybour Inn just on the reservoir before the A57 snake pass. It's lovely.image

Soreshins, There is a route guide on the race website It's basically industrial land (no one there) City centre lots of people supporting, Past Bramall lane (you can go to the toilet on the building and get away with it image) though London road (big Asian community cheering you on) up and down Eccassal road (student end think pubs) back into city centre and them back to Don Valley via the industrial land.

• Options
    i have been following a training programme - about 3-4 runs a week generally 4-6 miles with a long run at the weekend. I've followed it pretty strictly, but feel like I'm not really getting any better and the 13 miles just seems to unobtainable.
  • Options

Hi all,

just entered this 1. Did this as my first race 2 years ago, really enjoyed it so did it again last year. Its worth doing just for the feeling you get being cheered on up 'n' down Ecclesall Road and into the Don Valley Stadium. Quite a sereal feeling legs knackered lungs bursting but smiling and singing to the music.

CC3 if you can run 10 miles, i dont think youll have a problem as adrenaline will carry you thru the last 3 miles, if that doesnt then all other runners around you will. This is by far the freindliest half I have done.

C84 your body will definitely react diferently to a 'race' situation and step up a gear, you'll never know unless you give it a go, go on whats the worst that can happen? they'll be plenty of people to help you round

Hope everyone has a good one!

• Options

Just found the offical Facebook site if anyone is on there

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=21107346680

• Options

mm farcebook digital crack for the my space generation. At lest I now know the name of that nutter with the pram.image

• Options
    foofighter11 wrote (see)
    looks like the plan has backfired wife has enterd but has booked the next day off not becouse she will be to tired but just incase she has a hangover image so although i will not get draged around medowhell she will not be driveing to the pub

Haaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, sorry Foo mate but I just knew your lovely lady would mess up your plans. Ok it wasn't Meadowhell as predicted but I am claiming this one as a correct result image.

OK anyway I dont know how you guys are getting on but did a nice steady 18 miles yesterday to test out the old calf injury and I have officially declared myself recovered. Joy.

imageimageimageimageimage

• Options

ok KPO ill give this one to you image the lager was begining to tast so good as well

hip not too bad thanks AITCH  but still gives me some jip when i run fast for any length of time

going around the dam myself on sunday morning for a  long run and did most of the half route last night got p**ed wet through on bramel lane ( as if running past the ground wasnt bad enough in its self ) and dispite haveing wore the top i was running in plenty of times before found out to my discomfert when wet it turnd into sand paper image and in the first time in two years of running i now know how painfull jogers niple is image 

yes there is a medle this year cake and i wouldnt call it a goody bag by any streach of the imagination  a few adverts for local firms was all i got last year

• Options
    don't forget the nice coaster too, or was that the year before. My brain is all fuzzled
  • Options
    sorry who could forget the coaster but one thing may come in handy for me the card with the local taxi number on it image
  • Options

As long as you don't intend to use it half way around the run Foo image

On another note I have to say that i am starting to prefer t shirts to medals, i have loads of t shirts and loads of medals and i could do with something else in reality but of the two i think i would prefer a decent quality t shirt.

• Options
    got a shelf full of t shirts what i dont realy use as they arnt realy any good for running in
  • Options
    If you can run 10 miles Claire you can do a half.I understand your doubts.It's normal to have them when doing something new.If you need to walk the last bit you can.There is nothing wrong with that.The main thing is completing the course.If you don't run it you'll only regret it for weeks afterwards.Go for it girl.
  • Options
    Has post race boozer been decided upon yet ? I love a gallon after a race image
  • Options

me too lol

I also run better if i have a few beers the night before.

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

JUST TO SAY AS RACE DAY IS JUST 2 WEEKS OF GOOD LOOK TO EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU  IT SHOULD BE A GOOD RACE

ANYONE DOING THE GRAVES PARK 10K NEXT SUNDAY

• Options

Went for a great run today, out into the peaks up and down the hills. Lovely weather and good legs make for an awesome run. Only ran 15k but felt fine finishing and I guess the ups and downs and poor road quality are good for another k or two in terms of energy spent. Considered running into town and then back out to the student village once I got back through Endcliffe Park but decided not to and went home via Botanical Gardens. I cant decide whether I should put in another long run before the event next weekend or start tapering now. It's only a half and I feel really good but at the same time I'm so new to running I dont if I would be pushing it a bit fine before the race. Tips anyone?

Happy running!

• Options
    I did my last long run last weekend better to focus on short runs now and turn up fully charged so to speak imo.
  • Options
    Michael, I'm doing the Graves Park 10k on Sunday, travelling down from Newcastle to sun with my big bro, who is using this as a taper run for the Sheffeld Half Mara with you all.  Good luck with the half and your time on Sunday image
  • Options

doing graves park as well hope the weather isnt as hot as last year image runners were droping like flys

post race drinks at devenshire cat  for me and some of the runners in our club

• Options
    Im setting the Alarm for 6am tomorrow, 13 mile run, and then sit down at 8.30 with nice cup of tea and lashings of toast watchin the FLMimage
  • Options
    will be watching first bit going out at ten and doing 11miles will be posably last long run
  • Options

I am doing graves park 10K but I haven't been running for a week as I have been ill! Urrgh, I hope this won't affect my performance at Sheffield too much. Anyway, should be well enough to train by Monday or Tuesday. Thinking of throwing in a couple of long runs in the week as well as short, then theo's 10K then just shorter stuff before sheff. Will go into the peaks like TJ if the weather is any good. Love running out there!

Anyway, sounds like things are going well for everyone! Good luck to all!

• Options
    Just signed up for this race, just need to get my distance up in time.
  • Options

had a good run today wife geting stronger and was running just under 10 minuet miles took six minuets off the time she did afew weeks before the litle guy on my 205 was no wear in sight he must have given up image

great news about mick and phill geting into the FLM

• Options

I usually find doing long runs early in the morning not a good idea,tend to run better late morning or early afternoon.

• Options
    i did graves park last year, wasnt a nice experience, hot and hilly, worse 10k time for 4 years. good luck to everyone at sheffield. bit too soon for me after london, wish it would of been a couple of weeks later cos i really enjoyed this one last year and got a pb by 15 mins
  • Options
    Sheffield as always has put it a little bit to soon after London image What time did you do it in David and congratulations for doing it. image
  • Options
    Last long run completed Thursday night 11.7 miles but it was bl*ddy hard work! My legs felt awful! Felt sorry for KPO having to run with a slow girl! He looked, at 10 miles, like he'd not even broken a sweat!! Grrrr....

I'm sure I'll be fine on the day (at least I hope I will be)

Oh, entered the ballot for FLM!
  • Options

I'm running Sheffield having just run London (although admittedly not all out due to injury problems). I've decided to use the opportunity to pace a friend to a PB as I'm not going to be up to one myself.