Don't worry it'll pass

Sea swimming wouldn't have helped I'm sure

The sea will still be there next weekendimage

• Options

Pretending to be a proper aflete

Thurs  32 L swim

Fri 64 L swim

Sat 25 miles (hilly) 1hr 23m

Sun 12 mile in 1hr 7 seconds (with Suzie tho)

Sunday pm Bought new running shoes !!!

• Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭

Calling Scoobs...

You OK?

On stand-by with lepsips if needed

• Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭
    Nice training Daveimage
  • Options

Hi there -

<stuffs down lemsip>

I'm getting there, but still stuffed full of cold and cough/tight chest. Hence no training. If I feel ok I may try a pootle on the bike later, but if I do it will be extremely snotty (sorry).

Hence I am fighting the panic demons. No training since last Saturday and my running is still WAY off course! EEEK! Will I get round?

How's everyone else getting along?

• Options

Scooby get better before you start training again.  You will only make things worse.  Another week wont hurt but a week of training when you aren't fully well just might.

You will still get round if you take it easy now.  Better undertrained than ill!!!!

• Options
    Scoobs - I second what Rio says, its not worth it hun, you will benefit far more by being 100%, than you will by pushing it too soon.

Having panic flutters about my first of the season this wknd - its only a sprint, but already I'm waking up thinking about stuff I might forget!!

Training is going well now tho, getting lots of brick sessions in, gradually increasing the mileage : )
  • Options

Hi guys

I know, I know, but I can't help panicking about it. I have trained when like this before and ended up with a chest infection which took another 2 weeks to get over, then I got back again only to get a secondary chest infection which took forever to shift. In any case I actually just do not feel well enough to even want to train.

But I am so worried. My running is so pants. Will I get round? I think I can do the swim ok and I should be ok on the bike even with this week off but what about the run?

Seriously - Can anyone tell me what the cut off for the run is? How long have I got to get round?

Should I run/walk? Prob is I'm not good at that. I like to either run OR walk! Once I start walking I know my heart will sink. Maybe I might manage a slow shuffle?

And my school are now on a quest to raise awareness for what I am doing so we can raise some money for a local charity. I had an email today to say they want to contact the media - OH MY WHATSITS - PLEASE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

. I emailed back to say that would terrify me and anyway it is nothing special as loads of people do it. But I don;t think they're having it - MAJOR WIBBLE. They talked about ''press'' coverage. OH MY GOD - you don't think they mean the telly do you?? There is NO WAY on this earth you would get me anywhere near that...... YIKES.

Sorry - will be back positive soon. Losing Roly and then this has knocked the stuffing out of me.

colourin - good luck for your tri. What bricks are you doing? We need details. image

Lastly - Mr Scoobs has gone to x-bike without me <sob> and I could not be bothered/felt too crap to cook, so I have just devoured battered sausage and chips!!! How unhealthy is that? So now I am going to become a whale again. <WADDLE>

WHAAAAAAAHHHHH...

• Options
    Dont worry about a run cut off Scoobs ....   I have never seen one enforced and the pirate support crew will be there until the last one comes home
  • Options

Scoobs,

Given the base fitness you have you will get through image
    A Positive Mental Attitude will see you through the day better than some enforced training when your not fit.

As for the press, enjoy it and ham it up big style !! its not every day you do your first HM . 

(Thats the nice touchy feely cuddly advice done...)

SCOOBS !!    GET A GRIP !!!   ITS NOT A KNITTING CLUB !!

Adbru image

• Options

Bricks... Trying to build a wall Scoobs ?

Sod all training since Tuesday as I have been away with work, But back into action this evening

Just can't decide on what to do Sunday.... Lie in bed and watch FLM, Go out on the bike and try my new saddle, or go to Chick and look at the young ladies in lycra

• Options
    Dave, come to CHirk! I need support!
  • Options
    Race report:

It was fab! Nice weather, really well organised and marshalled. My swim was pretty average, think I went off to quick, but never expected it to be great. THe bike course was really good, 15 miles out and bike, didn't really notice the hills on the way out, but it did seem to be more down hill on the way back. Question is: how do you get a head wind in both directions? Not fair! Run bit was dead good too, my kind of course, lots of hills. First mile i couldn't feel my feet, knew they were there somewhere so just kept going to the blood came back! 1:31 overall I think, not ckecked the site for splits yet tho. Brill day! I want more!
  • Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭

Well done Colourin - that's fantasticimage

Know what you mean about the wind - i never ever notice a tail wind, then i turn into the wind and just fade!

Scoobs - hope you are feeling better hon.

I think the whole charity and publicity thing is amazing - your workplace clearly recognise the half IM for the amazing achievement that it is. You go girl - and stop underestimating yourself!

• Options

Great result Colorin

Last year at Chirk I somehow got it into my head that the bike OUT was down hill and the BACK was uphill... Coudn't understand why I was struggling so much thinking I was going downhill....

I had of course got it wrong !!

• Options

Hi all

Meldy - thanks for the info re cut off. I feel much happier now that I know that. I'm sure I'll be ok but if things do go pear shaped it is good to know that I can still get round.

I am trying to get a flippen grip! Not training at all last week. On Saturday I couldn't stand it any longer and as was feeling better than in the week decided to try a run. I ditched the bike idea as it was blowing a gale with gusts and I was still feeling a bit under par so thought a run is less time out there than the bike. See how clever I can be? image

So I ran 6 miles to the gym and it went quite well. Well I was happy with it anyway. Then I swam 1.25k in the pool.

On Sunday I did bike but stuck to a lesser distance of 31 miles. (To compensate I visited a hill that I have not done since getting my new bike). I was delighted to notice that I managed it fine - I used to dread this hill! Then in the afternoon I went open water swimming in the sea. My friend is doing the swim leg of the relay and this was her very first go at open water. She found it quite tough, so we bobbed around for a bit. We did swim too! Honest! I was in the water for 35 mins but prob only covered about 750 metres. However, it was good as I got to practice sighting and swallowing sea water - YUK. image And she did really well.

So things are getting back on track. Today is a rest day, mainly due to lack of time. Dunno about tomorrow yet. I need to get my running up to speed, so I expect I'll have another crack at that! I'm going to start incorporating some bricks in soon. I may try running home after Thursdays x-bike session as my legs are most certainly dead after that so it will be good practice!

Colourin - well done at Chirk!

K9 - how is your training going?

• Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭

Hello Scoobs - that's a lot of training for a recovering poorly person! Well done.

My 'training'....

Running is still a bit of a non-starter it seems. False start with the little bits I'd started to do I think. My little 1.57 mile lap caused discomfort last week so I've put it on hold until after 3 peaks just in case.

Using the time to build up cycle miles as I'm so weak at it. Have done my 46 mile route 3 times now, and the 26 mile route several times. Getting slowly but surely faster though, so feeling encouraged....and also loving it with the nice weather.

Still swimming - nearly 180 miles for the year so far - which is nearly half way to the target of 365 miles for the year I had arbitrarily set myself! Getting faster at that too I think. Managed my 2 miles before work in 53 minutes one day last weekimage

• Options

Sorry to hear about the running K9. It is probably wise to put it on hold until after your 3 peaks. I cannot imagine for one minute that you are weak at cycling so you can forget that malarky! image

In regard to your swimming, I think you are very fast indeed and wondered if you had considered joining up with a club?

As for me, well, yesterday I swam 1.8k before work. Was intending on 2k but ran out of time, sill it was only 8 lengths less so not too bothered really.

Then afterwork I ran 6.4 miles. Good run, tough at times, with my HR a bit high - 155bpm average - but that is probably due to this virus I have had, so not concerned about it. Also ran faster than usual which could also explain it!

I hope to get out on the bike tonight...

Laters

• Options
    Not 6.4 miles - 6.04!! oops!
  • Options

Training yesterday.

Nearly amounted to nothing as worked late and when I drove home it was pouring with rain. At the beginning of the drive I opted out of going out on the bike due to it chucking it down.

Half way home I was pondering on whether to bother doing anything at all and thinking I might just have a snoozle on the couch instead.

Three quarters of the way home I thought about the turbo but realised teenage scoobs would have stuck the heating on for sure so it would be way too hot. Then I remembered the stationary bike at the gym and realised I haven't visited it for while....

63 mins on stationary bike level 11 hills
    2 miles on tready straight after. image

Then when I got home a friend of Mr Scoobs had decided to descend himself upon us en route home from the Brittany ferry that he had just got off. It was still raining and he had just cycled from Austria back and did not fancy trying to get home in the dark and wet! He is quite quite mad. He found his bike in a skip and has travelled some ridiculous miles in 10 days using a tiny little tent to sleep in at night. He did around 120 miles per day.

We offered him the spare room but he preferred to sleep on the floor on account of his back being way better since not sleeping in a bed!!!!

He is now planning on beating that guys record (he also cycled a from Rome back to UK about a month ago) - the one that cycled across the world? I saw some of it on TV - anyone remember that guy/ I saw the bit when he was in India. It was only last year I think?

Anyway he is certainly very fit and doesn't seem to mind being alone for weeks on end, or sleeping in all weather in a tent. He uses his bike as part of the shelter!! Awesome guy. Puts my cycling into perspective!!!!

Today?

''Hopefully'' - swim and  tinsy x-bike....

• Options

And swim and x-bike it was.

2k swim in 45 mins and then x-bike for lots of hill climbs and spin spin spins...

Rest day tomorrow and long bike Saturday...

• Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭

Good training Scoobs....back on trackimage

Your friend sounds an amazing bloke - good luck to him. What a target!!

I'm off to the Lakes again tonight to do another loooooong walk in the hills.

Probably in the rain.

Waterproofs packed.

• Options

Enjoy the lakes k9! Let us know how it went.

we have had glorious weather here.

Training?

83.33 miles on the bike. over 7000ft of climbing, we did one 20% hill which went on for 4 miles. I was wretching on that one - euuurggh. The guy that was cycling beside me took a wide berth! I think he was worried I was going to puke over him - oh dear! But what an awesome ride across the moors today., fantastic views. I didn't plan on doing this distance, but a guy suggested we do a few more hills and that was that really. It only took a few manic grins from a few others and that was the decision made...Loved it. image

• Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭

Wow Scoobs....83 miles

sorry

83.33 miles, and all that ascent.

You are amazingimage

You need have NO worries about Bala Scoobs. Keep ticking over.

How many weeks now?

Hike for me yesterday. No rain which was good - although the clouds came in a few times in a threatening manner.

We shot off with huge enthusiasm as usual and strode up Scafell Pike - a different route this time from Seathwaite called 'the corridor'. Got to the top in just under 2 hours. 10 minutes to admire the view, then pretty much ran down most of the way (naughty). Passed all the folks we'd seen earlier still plodding up! After that we climbed Great Gable again, and then down via Green Gable and Base Brown. Bit of backtracking trying to find a way down off Base Brown that didn't involve risking life and limb, and finally back to the car.

Suitably tired. Just over 6 hours brisk hikingimage

Feeling fine today - but quads a bit stiff - and that will get worse over the next 48 hours if the last hike is anything to go by.

Off for a loosening up swim

• Options

WOW - well done k9! That is some climbing! Enjoy your swim. No doubt it will be about 6 million zillion lengths or so.... image

Well I wondered whether to do my run today after yesterdays antics. In the end I decided that as Adbru says it is not a knitting club I should just get out there and do it! So i did.

What: 8 1/2 mile run
    Why: Bala is 7 weeks away today and I need to sort out my running

I kept the pace right down, no MP3 player allowed for first 5 miles. My MP3 tends to encourage me to run faster you see. Plugged in for last 3 1/2 miles because I was tired and the route back is not very nice really so a bit of musical entertainment helps to pass the miles.

Did the distance in just over 10 min miling. I'm happy with that. I don;t really mind as long as I can keep going!

Really though I am elated with my bike. It really was such an awesome day. Did I mention I love the bike? image
     I want to concentrate more on the bike after Bala and have the Dartmoor Classic 2 weeks after. YEEHAW! image

I'm going to spend the rest of the day pottering as guess what????

Off out again this evening with the kids in tow, to see a band. And my bro is coming down to stay and come out too. WHAT a fab night we are going to have.

ZIPADEE DOO DAH.

Quiet day planned for tomorrow, may head for the beach and squeeze in an open water swim....

• Options
    Not been here for a bit, so got some catching up to do............

Good going on the running scoobs, will read the rest back later. Just popped in to report Sundays's half marathon in Keswick.........wasn't really up for it due to lack of training in the week, but as it turned out I got a PB! on a really hilly course!!! Bring on Bala! I can't swim for toffee, but at least I know my running is up to the job : )

Ooh, and I got some aero bars for the old japoly, gonna test them in a 50 TT at weekend : ) Please start praying now, heaven know how my girls bit are gonna hold up!
  • Options

You Wuss K9

You didn't come down the gully on Base Brown below the "hanging rock" ?... I must admit my OH threw her rucksac down the day when came down that way.....

• Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭

HA ha Dave!

There were 3 lads who were heading back from hanging rock as we approached who were adamant we wouldn't get down...so we backtracked to the dip between Base Brown and Green Gable and headed round the side.

Once we got to beneath the Hanging Rock I think it was clear we would have got down if we'd gone around to the side of it.

Grrr!

• Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭
    Colourin - great running girl. Didn't realise that was on this weekend.
  • Options
    Got a whole week next week in Keswick for the mountain festival, Was going to enter the Keswick Tri, But it sold out whilst we were in Nepal.... So at least  don;t have to withdraw