Options

Six Nations 2009

Comments

• Options

We need to go back to basics, and that's building a consitent team, a solid defence and play in the opponents 22.   We've a bit of flair out wide, so we can use that if need be, but it's going to have to be a 'workhorse' approach for us to do OK (ie beat Italy and scotland and win one and lose by 10 with the other three. 

Ahnd Sky are cocks, jsut told me I will get Sky HD in 7-12 weeks.image

• Options
    fat buddha wrote (see)
    seren - that is not an irrational thought coming from a Welsh person.......it's genetic - we support 2 teams, Wales and anyone playing England........ I'm married to an English person, have lived in England far longer than I lived in Wales yet I still derive deep joy from England losing at anything..........much to Petal's hate. anyway what the feck is Nick Mallet taking?? choosing Bergamasco at scrum half??? wtf???? should be interesting though and could be the most inspired selection of all time or a frigging disaster for Italy..
    I on the other hand do not wish to see other teams lose because of their ancestry unless they are scottish.
  • Options
    Agree with Corinthian's assessment on this one - much as I would love another Welsh slam, the cautious optimism of another title will do me nicely. This weekend against Scotland will be close though. England and Ireland also to win this weekend. English pessimists just need to look at Italy's difficulties at 9 to know that they're looking for the wrong banana skin.
  • Options
    so Henson is out and Shanklin is in - given the doubt about Henson's fitness all week it seems odd now that Gatland even picked him to start with!

and I see Trundle is now doubtful for England.......back injury
  • Options
    I thought you meant that England were going fully retro - Neil Back returning. 
  • Options
    nah - he's too small..........
  • Options

England: 15 Delon Armitage, 14 Paul Sackey, 13 Mike Tindall, 12 Riki Flutey, 11 Mark Cueto, 10 Andy Goode, 9 Harry Ellis, 8 Nick Easter, 7 Steffon Armitage, 6 James Haskell, 5 Nick Kennedy, 4 Steve Borthwick (captain), 3 Phil Vickery, 2 Lee Mears, 1 Andrew Sheridan.

Replacements: 16 Dylan Hartley, 17 Julian White, 18 Tom Croft, 19 Joe Worsley, 20 Ben Foden, 21 Shane Geraghty, 22 Mathew Tait.

Me personally wouldn't have Borthwick as (C) I think Phil Vickery leading from the front would be my call.

• Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Tindall might be out and replaced by Noon.  That'll scare the sh1t out of the Italians.
  • Options
    Gavo wrote (see)
    Tindall might be out and replaced by Noon.  That'll scare the sh1t out of the Italians.

Why ????????????

Can't they get him off Zara image

Hmmmmmmmm don't blame him either

• Options

Only saw the second half of Ireland-France but it looked a good game with a fair bit of running rugby.

Well done Ireland image Thought France might just sneak it when it went to 20-18 but Ireland seemed to find another gear and closed out a good game.

How bad was Bergamasco at scrum-half? Only seen a couple of howlers in the highlights but was it a complete disaster? Did the scoreline flatter England? And did Goode really score a try in the first 2 minutes?!?

• Options

The Ireland - France game was the significantly better of the two.

England - Italy was a load of long kicking by England down the pitch.  Watching Ireland and France actually run with the ball when it was kicked in made me realise that when England play either team then they will get thrashed.  Everytime it was kicked deep into the French half they ran forwards with it.  Everytime it was kicked into the English half they kicked it back... England won because the Italians made mistakes not because they played significantly better rugby. 

Andy Goode scored within 3 minutes yes!

Harry Ellis played well.

Bergmasco was eventually replaced by a proper scrum half and the effect was noticeable. He was rather hesistant...... 

• Options

I've seen a bit more of Bergamasco image

Poor lamb, let's hope he's not mentally scarred by it! At least his brother scored to restore a bit of family pride...

I know England looked a bit crap but a win's a win. I'm sure the French would swap the result even if they played better against Ireland. Goode looks a bit thinner now, maybe they don't have pies in France image

• Options
    X-KKDX-KKD ✭✭✭
    yEAH!!  6 Nations!!  :--)))
  • Options

Goode did what he was supposed to.  Kick long to get out of range of italians kicking penalties and just play in their 22.  Most worrying thing was thte number of penalties we gave away.  Do that against any other team (including the scotties) and we will get killed.  Haskel;l actually played very well apart from being a prize dick in getting sin binned.  And Geraghty did brilliantly at blowing his chance to push for a starting 15 place.  Muppet.  Cueto had a good game too, given limited opportunities. 

I think it's a bit easy to criticise the lack of invention when if I were Johnson then the game plan for the entire campaign has to be forward control, kick for position and nothing flash.  We try doing anything else for now and we'll be soundly thrashed.  So the Italy game was not a place to try a game plan that was only going to be used for one half. 

I don't see Wales as a 6 nations side this year.  Will see after this afternoon, but whilst there is the individual skill I don't see the 'team' needed.  Wouldn't be totally surprised if France still pipped it after Ireland screw up against Wales, but then England and Wales get thumped by France.

• Options

75 quid each I paid for tickets to twickers I'd have been better off stopping at London Welsh to watch the England Women play, what a waste of money!

Streaker wasn't even any good!

• Options
    I'm now remembering why I almost prefer Scotland to Wales. Jonathan Davies commentary.  Whiney little twit that can see nothing good in any opposition and nothing wrong with any welsh play.  No matter how much you dislike Brian Moore and co, at least they vagulely commentate on the game. 
  • Options
    D74 - nonsense! Jonathan MAKES it !! He is hilarious - the Geoff Boycott commentary of rugby - ruthlessly brilliant!
  • Options
    I love Jiffy apart from his complete inability to pronounce Jauzion and several other French names image
  • Options

I am afraid I am in the anit-Jiffy camp now. Drives me nuts. Used to be vaguely funny but now its just getting silly. Should be consigned to Radio Wales! The England game was not great - but it was at least a win and these days I'm quite grateful for that! thought Ireland looked very impressive.

I do fear we are liable to get our bottoms utterly spanked in cardiff next weekend. Not sure I can bear to watch that one! On the postive side - I did get out for a reasonable run this weekend!

Right back to the carnage that is the scottish game....

• Options

Poor Scotland - they finished well though, pity they weren't able to start that way. I would drop Simon Webster even if he recovers from knocking himself out on the Nugget.

Just remembered how much I hate Andy Nicols image Thank God he's only doing the summary bits instead of commentating!

• Options
    Even though I have a calcaneal stress fracture I would rather put up with the pain and run on it than suffer the hurt I will feel next week when Wales show England how to play Rugby!
  • Options

I am combining the fun of a 10k in London (despite tragic reviews from last year on the forum) and welsh supporting in the afternoon - roll on saturday!!

• Options
    ah well - results as expected at the w/e........although Ireland had to work a bit for their win - cracking game, best of the 3....

pleased with the way Wales played despite taking their foot of the gas in the last 20 although their defence was good

England are devoid of ideas and why do they insist on slow ball?? you just had to see the speed that the other 4 teams were recycling the ball and see what difference that made....

for Fatty Goode "fans" - read this...... image

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/england/4550810/Andy-Goode-is-still-not-an-international-fly-half-despite-good-moments-against-Italy.html

• Options
    We play Wales this weekened. If we play like that against the Taffs they are going to hammer us.
  • Options

That article's a bit harsh - almost feel sorry for him image

Quite funny though image

• Options

That Goode article was pretty spot on. He's nailing the French game though.

To be honest, if you can't start with Nostrals Cypriani against Italy.....who can you start him against?

I'm not a Cypricani fan. He tackles about as well as I used to - and I was the best dummy tackler in the game.

Shane Gerachytygty (correct spelling?) is the way forward at 10.

I'm finding it really hard to be an England fan these days.

• Options

Bless him its actually about right. i'm not sure he'd be that bothered to be honest - he looked so pleased to have the opportunity to play in an England shirt...surely he won't get another one...this weekend....against wales??? ...surely Jonno wouldn't be that silly.

We are going to get killed. Time to flood the pitch in cardiff I think...

• Options

I don't totally agree with the above sentiments re Chippolata vs Goode. 

If we try to play wide and quick against Wales we will lose, and probably lose big.  If we slow it down, turn it into a tight war of attition and can somehow limit the penalties we give to under one a minute image with Goode smacking the ball into the welsh half to keep it out of range then we may keep a lid on the score.  Wales to score 2 tries and 3 pens, us 12 points from Goode's boot.

It's not all about Cipriani needing game time, it's about the entire team needing to be in a confident attacking mood and tight defensively before Cipriani is the right person to add flair and create the attacks.  We are a way away from that yet.

And we needed the win against Italy, that was the only thing that was important from Saturday's game.  Hence again, Goode was the right choice.  The comment about 'if you can't play against Italy when can he' in my view is way off the mark in terms of both the entire England team and the quality of today's Italian side.  With a scrum half then they didn't do too bad don't forget, it was just the first half where their gamble (and it was a big gamble) didn't pay off.

• Options

Having now read the article then I think it's pretty lazy sports journalism. On here, for free, then we'd done the 'looks like a hobbit' and 'eats pies' jokes.  I'd hope for a little more in a professional sports journalist.  What he doesn't come out and say is who he would play instead of Goode. 

And I agree he is a stop gap, and not ever likely to go down in history as a 'great' international fly half.  But he played a big part with Leisester leading to a lot of success in europe and domestically. 

A lot of people are still living in 2003.  We are a long long way from having a side like that. We are now way down the pecking order and need to rebuild from the basics.  There is no place for a formula one ferrari engine in a taxi.  You need reliability and the ability to pootle round all day.  I'd say Goode is currently the best man for the job.

• Options
    "I think it's pretty lazy sports journalism"

two things - John Reason and Daily Telegraph - both of which have been on my distaste list for years.......I only posted the link as it was sent by a friend as I did think it captured the moment quite nicely though.....otherwise I wouldn't read either

"with Goode smacking the ball into the welsh half to keep it out of range then we may keep a lid on the score. "

not if Lee Byrne takes the ball back - he is showing real class these days and for someone who is not a big guy in real terms manages to make some hard yards quite a few times through tacklers and give him a sniff of a break and he's through the gap............truly a world class player of the moment.....

England need to sort out the forwards as well as they are so slow in recycling the ball that is woeful - you wonder if these guys are playing premiership rugby. front row are just scrummaging and not contributing much else, Borthwick is way off his best form, Kennedy had a good line out game but did little else, Steffan Armitage - who?? where was he??, Easter showed his usual tenacity but lacks flair and Haskell had a quiet game and quite rightly sin binned for tripping..........

I just loved Pitbull's comment in the 2nd half - "£87 for a ticket??"