Options

Six Nations 2009

14567810»

Comments

• Options

'Lord Nelson! Lord Beaverbrook! Sir Winston Churchill! Sir Anthony Eden! Clement Attlee! Henry Cooper! Lady Diana! Maggie Thatcher - can you hear me, Maggie Thatcher! Your boys took one hell of a beating! Your boys took one hell of a beating!'

well I can dream....

• Options

"Robert the Bruce! Macbeth! William Wallace! Robert Louis Stevenson! Gavin Hastings! Gordon Brown - can you hear me, Gordon Brown! Your boys took one hell of a beating!"

Might be slightly more likely image

Just tidying up punctuation!

• Options
    "Napoleon Bonaparte! Sacha Distel! Monsieur Pompidou! Edith Piaf..."
  • Options

"Ivor the Engine! Jones the Milk! Shirley Bassey! David Lloyd George!" image

• Options

ok then

"Leonardo da Vinci! Mussolini! Giuseppe Verdi!..."

• Options
    Ireland's Call
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/_img/spc.gif

Come the day and come the hour
    Come the power and the glory
    We have come to answer
    Our Country's call
    From the four proud provinces of Ireland

Ireland, Ireland
    Together standing tall
    Shoulder to shoulder
    We'll answer Ireland's call

From the mighty Glens of Antrim
    From the rugged hills of Galway
    From the walls of Limerick
    And Dublin Bay

Ireland, Ireland
    Together standing tall
    Shoulder to shoulder

Hearts of steel
    And heads unbowing
    Vowing never to be broken
    We will fight, until
    We can fight no more

Ireland, Ireland
    Together standing tall
    Shoulder to shoulder

A little song to sing later

• Options
    I say , play up England , what , what ?   It's the taking part and all that when all's said and done chaps . Jolly good luck say I . " there'll always be an England .............."         
  • Options

Not quite the final moment but a Ronan O'Gara drop goal did win it at the end!

WELL DONE IRELAND!!! imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

PS: Thank God Stephen Jones missed that last penalty image

• Options

Brilliant result! image

Sod the hangover, I'm cracking open a guinness to celebrate image

• Options
    arse shit bollocks

well I can at least fall back on my Irish name and birthday on St Patricks Day as some compensation for losing to the Micks.........we deserved to lose as our lineout was shite and we gave away too many turnovers. not to say Ireland were great but they had a destiny....

well done Ireland - you deserved the Grand Slam on balance - not the prettiest of sides but consistent

and what galls me more is that Wales only finished 4th - below England and France....

ah well if Wales only win one game a season,. beating England every time will do for me.........

ho hum

bring on 2010 - we only win the GS every 2 years anyway..... image

• Options

Second place and top try scorers for England

good platform for 2010 and the 2011 RWC image

• Options
    BBC just pointing out that it was S Jones kicking direct into touch that led to ROG's drop goal, as well as the final penalty miss
  • Options

scotland dreadful once again. no excuses left.

well done ireland, the least bad team image

• Options

For all the (correct) criticism of the poor standard of the tournament, today went againstthat grain. The rugby was great, there was very little ping-pong and Wales-Ireland was one hell of a test match. It was agonizing in the last minute seeing Jones (who I thought had a really good game, noting his one kick out on the full when O'gara had far more errors from the boot is churlish) fall just short. While Ireland were not above mere consistency in the  middle games of the tournament. Their performances against France and Wales were magnificent and they have to be congratulated. Gutted to see Wales finish fourth but they were pretty close to a Grand Slam at the same time! There were 3 years between Wales two recent Grand Slams FB, so might have to wait two more years.

Thought the game as a spectacle were helped by Wayne barnes as a referee. We actually had contested set-pieces not all immediately ending in free-kicks and penalties. Ok, not exactly straight feeds, but you can't have everything. England-Scotland game had another irritating South African Ref who reduced the scrums to a farce.

• Options

can't say I agree quality-wise but there you are.

wales ireland was exciting though, can't deny that.

• Options

Well done Ireland as I though that they were the most consitent team in the competition.

Right then - who's going to be picked for the Lions. 

From our lot, Paterson (only 'cos he is the most consistent kicker) and the only other stand out players are Euan Murray, and the Evans bros.  I'll leave the rest of you guys to choose your most likeley candidates as I've not had the time to watch matches other than the 6 nations.

• Options

Paterson won't go.

Murray

Thom Evans, not Max.

Blair (though it should be cusiter)

possibly Hines.

there are other good players in the Scotland squad but they have not performed and do not deserve to tour.

• Options

Congratulations to Ireland.Over the whole 6 nations,they were by far the most consistent team and in Brian O'Driscoll had the player of the tournament.

I also thought Stephen Jones had a good,all round game but I would like to have seen Henson take that last penalty-it was all about distance and that 's where he comes into his own.

Having said that,I can't say we did anywhere near enough to win and what's disappointing is that,apart from the first 60 minutes of the Scotland game,we've never really looked dangerous.

Last season,we threatened to score tries every time we won the ball and we moved through the phases at speed and kept the ball alive.This season,we've looked plodding and predictable and have made very few chances for ourselves.

Oh well,at least there's still the Ospreys !

• Options
    Can't agree that B O'D was the player of the tournament. He had a big  resurgence, but it's easier to look good in a team that's winning. Sergio Parisse's ability to carry, cover all over the field, and produce absurd skill when under huge pressure on the back foot was a mile ahead of anyone else in the tournament.
  • Options
    England won , again , that'll do for me . Runners up to Ireland not too shabby .
  • Options

Agreed,Parisse is world class.A classic example of a great player in a poor team-a bit like Hugo Porta in the Argentina team of the '70's and '80's.

However,when Ireland needed someone to produce something special,BOD delivered and I feel he is now a cert to be captain of the Lions.

• Options
    BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
    So my prophecies came to be......
  • Options

Lions team as discussed on our lunchtime run yesterday:

Full back: Byrne; Wings: Williams & Bowe; Centres Roberts & O'Driscoll; Flyhalf: Jones; Scrum half: Phillips; An Irish front 5; open-side: Williams; blind side: Haskell; No.8: Powell.

On the plane: Henson, Lewsey, Care, Tindall, Armitage D., Heaslip, Wallace, Rees T., Sheridan, Murray, Mears, Evans T., Hamilton, Jenkins, Croft, O'Gara

• Options
    Where's Fatty Goode?!? image
  • Options
    NO to an Irish front 5 - Gethin Jenkins will get one of the prop slots as the outstanding prop of the 6 nations and Euan Murray will get the other. And 2nd row will be O'Connell and Alun Wyn-Jones.

NO to Powell - they'll go with Heaslip, Williams and Wallace as test back row

the forwards will need mobility against the Boks so no to Vickery or Sheridan

backs I have no problem with although will Thom Evans be fit enough??
  • Options

I think the 6 Nations has shown that lots of places are still up for grabs.At the moment,my test team would be Byrne,Bowe,O'Driscoll (capt),Henson (many will disagree,but when fully fit,I believe he is real class),Sackey (can't bring myself to pick Shane Williams on Wales' recent displays),Jones,Phillips,Jenkins,Flannery,Murray,O'Connell,Wyn Jones,Wallace,Leamy (my "wild card") and Martin Williams.

Also in  the squad:Armitage,Shane Williams,Thom Evans (or Monye,if Evans isn't fit),Flutey,D'Arcy,Shanklin,O'Gara,Blair,Stringer,Sheridan,Vickery,Adam Jones,Mears,Best,Hines,O'Callaghan,Ryan Jones,Heaslip,Croft and Worsley.