Options

Brighton Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options
    Afternoon, beautiful day here, let's hope it's here to stay a while!

Pgbear, the way i understand the time/miles long run thing is that it depends on you speed. What they are saying is that if you are slow (like me) and you anticipate taking in excess of 5 hours to complete your marathon then that is obviously a long time and you would not want to be doing that every week. So the plans recommend either 18/20 miles or 3 hours of running, whichever has you covering the least distance. (i would only get to the 3 hours but as i said earlier i need the confidence of knowing i'm up to the 20 mile mark). So it depends on your anticipated finshing time. But that is just how i understand it, and i may be singing from the wrong hymn book!

Mattoo 3 in 3? wow!

PP sounds like a race to avoid the! Wicked time though - well done image

Waves to Dips and UI. Do your dogs pull you up steep hills when they are on the lead? Sounds like a plan to me.......

SR fantastic running for you too, and well done on your PB

Tim glad you had a lovely run, if you naturally went at that speed then i'm sure it was ok. Cake was delicious thanks - coffee and walnut image

Helegant i'm guessing you did a good time on your park run? well done!

Charlotte well done on your great race too. Enjoy your days away

• Options
    Hi all

Just dropping in to introduce myself as in a moment of madness I have signed up for Brighton! (Found a spare place on here some weeks ago & yesterday received confirmation of the name change!)

I'm Sam, will be 39 by the time 10th April comes around and this will be my first marathon. I started running in May & have worked my way (slowly!) up through 5K, 10K & a half-marathon. I currently run 3 times a week (& manage a marathon over the three, can't that count...?) combined with the gym. Am about to embark on a new gym routine that a personal trainer has put together for me to specifically train for the marathon, concentrating on strength weight training rather than any further cardio (she says I'm already doing more than enough with my running!) Am thinking I may also try to fit in a 4th run per week over the winter.

Have to say, at the moment I'm scared silly at the thought of it all, & the idea of repeating what I did on my half-marathon does my head in!!!

Would like to join in here over the coming few months, mainly for a bit of support, so hope you'll have me image

Sam
  • Options
    Sam, You're more than welcome. I started running May last year, ran a couple of 10k's two Half's then the Brighton Marathon, so pretty similar (but I'm older image unfortunately) and it sounds as though you have a really good plan there.

You'll find lots of very friendly people here who have run a lot of marathons and who will be more than happy to give advice and encouragement to you as and when you need it.

One thought: Don't over do the training too early! There's 3.5 months of it in the New Year which is plenty of time. Also try and find a 3/4 marathon about 2-3 weeks before. It's a great build up to this one.
  • Options
    Hi Sam and welcome! I'm one of the "older" runners on here and Brighton will be my 45th marathon. I agree completely on the training, end of the year is enough time for marathon build-up, I start mine on 21 December. Up till then I'm just running whatever I feel like, some days 10km, some days 20km, others only 5km or I may not run at all. For an estimate of possible finish time, I ran  my PB of 3:48 off a half-mara time of 1:46.
  • Options
    Sam, just to agree with UI, I ran 3.52 last year having run a couple of half's around the 1.45 mark and that was with the minimum amount of training.  You'll be fine building along the lines UI suggests.
  • Options

Welcome Sam. Theres plenty of support here and elsewhere on the forum, however it sounds like you're got a good winter plan sorted. And yes, take it slowly and you'll be fine come next April. I plan to start seriously in the new year, up until then its ad-hoc running and biking. Which reminds me I must get out on the mountain bikie this weekend image

UI + PP its interesting that both your marathon times are about twice your half marathon times plus 15 - 20 minutes. Is that typical?

• Options

Hi, having put the Loch Ness marathon and Beachy behind me, I intend to drop in here regularly.

I am a slow runner, who hopes to speed up!

Looking forward to getting to know everyone here.
  • Options
    Welcome Sam, you will find loads of inspiration and motivation here! I know exactly how you feel, i did Brighton this year, my first and up to then HM was my longest distance. You will be fine, plenty of time to train, it's just a question of building up the miles gradually and wanting to do it enough.

(I am slow and took 5:40 but i finished and that was my aim. And i've got plenty of scope for future PB's image )
  • Options
    Crossed with you Hopetofinish did you get to see Nessy?
  • Options
    *tim* wrote (see)

UI + PP its interesting that both your marathon times are about twice your half marathon times plus 15 - 20 minutes. Is that typical?

Tim, yes so most people tell me.

I ran with knee ligament damage and shin splints last year, so hope to get sub 3.40 this time around.

• Options
    afternoon all

what's all this fuss about too soon to be doing long runs for Brighton?? pah - I did Beachy Head Marathon on Saturday - that was a nice long run.... image I think my quads are recovering.

(newbies - don't listen to me or the multi-marathon runners - we do things a little differently!)

my next marathon is now Brighton so I'll have a down month in November just ticking over and start picking it up again in December although I might do Barnes Green 1/2 next weekend but will wait and see what the weather's doing first and do an EOD if I cba...

onwards and sideways...
  • Options
    fat buddha wrote (see)
     I did Beachy Head Marathon on Saturday - that was a nice long run.... image

fb - congrats, how was it?  good finishing time?

fat buddha wrote (see)
    although I might do Barnes Green 1/2 next weekend

nooooo, that's how I did the ligament damage in my knee!!  image   the weather was utterly vile, half the field either didn't start or finish. But I'm told that it's good for pb's if the weathers decent!!   image

• Options
    hi PP

weather turned out much better than expected. it was blowing a howling gale when I got up and looked miserable but the rain eased and after a big shower as the start gun went, the skies cleared and it was gloriously sunny until beyond 5 hrs when some more showers came in but we were greeted with a fantastic double rainbow over the finish from the top of BH. windy though although it was a SWesterly which helped to push you over the Bitches.

my slowest BHM (of 4) in 5:36 but 3 of us ran together and our plan was always around 5:30 as we wanted to enjoy it rather than chase a time. it's a tough race but always enjoyable if the sun's out as the views are grand.

still not sure about Barnes Green - only an idea at the moment rather a plan. as said - see what the weather looks like 1st and if we can be arsed. have done it a few times before but not for some years.

• Options

Come on FB, get your ar*e over to Barns Green. It wil be my first road half in about 18 months so might be a challenge, I'm aiming for a course PW.

I always think BHM is an event of 2 halves, the first 19.5 miles then the next 6.5 miles over the  Seven Bitches almost equate to the first 19.5 miles!

• Options
    you're right Dips - you get to Litlington and think - only about 12k to go now. then the hard part starts with the steps.......and the legs decide they've had enough. I counted the steps this year - 300 in total!

we'll see about BG
  • Options
    The sun will be shining on Sunday! image
  • Options
    fb & dips: Bitches??  image
  • Options

Afternoon all

Went over the gym today did 30 minutes swimming then 10 minutes running in the swimming pool then another 5 minute swim

I am going to stick to the swimming this week then try a small run next week to see how it goes

• Options
    "fb & dips: Bitches??"

haha - the Seven Sisters are about the toughest part of BHM so everyone called them the Seven Bitches 'cos they are just that - bitches to run

• Options
    Or are we bitches? image
  • Options
    tri club swim training tonight - 400m warmup, then 8 x 300m (each one either sprint or different technical practices) and 200m cool down - 3000m total.
  • Options

Dips + others, BGhalf is local to me so may get myself over there to support or help out.

Sam - welcome to the bestest thread on the website, until BM 2012 that is!image  You'll find plenty of support, sympathy and understanding here as and when you may or rather will, need it.

I have started a countdown to BM2011 log, only 166 days to goimage

• Options

Hi All,

Just popping by. Afraid work is getting a little in the way of life/time on the net to keep up, although training's still consistent image

Brighton Midnight Half Marathon this weekend - me and OH are doing it. Anyone else?

• Options
    didn't even know about that event TB - looks interesting but it's full I see....have fun
  • Options
    Julia T - They are using Powerade next year. I think they used it last time as well. I do hope it isnt going to be the same as GNR this year when we got Powerade zero by mistake. Dont think they 'll make that mistake again.

Not doing any races between now and the event.
  • Options

Decided I need to change my weekly training routines, so will be reducing the cross training, weights and swimming I do. My hope is this will leave me feeling fresher for my running sessions to enable more speed. Also need to try and lose a little bit of weight to really get myself into race shape. My next race is not for 3 weeks, and will be looking for a new half marathon PB of sub 1:30 at Gosport. Hopefully by then I will start seeing the benefits of my training schedule change.

TraceyB: I did look at the BMHM, back in summer, but decided it was to far to travel in middle of the night for me to enter. It does look fun though. Good luck.

• Options

SR - Lose weight! How can you have any to lose with all the training you?

Quick update - Garmin has been working fine now for a good few weeks since I had the trouble. I now always wipe it well after use to remove any moisture that might be causing a problem. My groin seems to be back on the mend again but I still find it frustrating that I have to be so careful in increasing the distances and not going too fast  on the weekly LSR (I'll be trying a flat 12 miles this Saturday) and the speed on my tempo runs, but I can't really afford anoth setback before April.

Lots of good racing going on from so many of you keep it up, and plenty of good training as well. Keep going!!!

• Options

Morning all

Went over the gym again yesterday and repeated what i did on Tuesday i my venture in to the gym today but avoid the treadmill or may just stick to the swimming will have to see how i feel when i get up

The swap back to nights is taking me a while to readjust to sleeping during the day again

Running again glad to hear your groin is on the mend gives me hope if i could get rid of the shin splint then i think i could start running again

• Options
    Hit the treadmill yesterday evening for a speed session. Managed 10 miles in 1:09. Reducing my cross training, weights and swimming this week seemed to make a difference in that last nights run was a lot easier then usual, but alas not faster. Think before I see the sort of improvement I am looking for, I will need to speed up to between 6 & 6:30 minute miles, which does not sound much to improve as last nights run was about 7 minute miles, but when your legs are going as fast as you think they can and your struggling to get enough air into your lungs, it seems a massive amount to improve. Oh well, guess will have to keep plugging away and see how things develop. Got my long run tomorrow, so can take my mind of speed work.
  • Options

SR, anybody who can run a consistent 6.30 is pretty impressive.  Well done on the training.  image

Don't think my body could stand that pace for more than 2-3 miles   image