Options

Edinburgh Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options
    Me too Abi_snail ... we can finish together - I just wanna beat the sweepers over the line!

So scared my feet have never been so cold!
  • Options
    markmywordsmarkmywords ✭✭✭
    Last Sunday badly twisted ankle. No running since then. Going for a slow 6 miles tomorrow to see how it holds out. Hoping everything will be fine for Edinburgh. Bizarre really as I've had perfect training since January with not even an injury niggle and I twist my ankle running up the stairs to shut the windows because of the bloody thunder and lightning.
  • Options
    markmywordsmarkmywords ✭✭✭
    Black 9390 btw.
  • Options
    WexterWexter ✭✭✭
    1 hour easy run today, no number as yet.
  • Options

Good luck Mark with the run tomorrow - hope you make it to the start line on the day (and the finish line obviously)

15 mile run today - last big(ish) run and just a nice easy taper into the big one. Must remember not to eat as much though this week (until Sunday night when it will be pizza and chocolate-tastic).image

(hungry) Duffs

• Options

Red No. 947 arrived for me this morning!

I hate  to be the bearer of bad news but I thought it is worth mentioining:  Moving the start back from the race course has necessitated an extra 'finger' (out and back section) at around the 16 mile mark, on Lyars road.  And it is a rather steep hill, as you head inland again for half a mile or so. I mapped it out on runkeeper and sure enough, the course profile looks slightly less appealing than last year with a sudden sharp climb followed by a sharp drop.

So not only is the finish different to what they originally offered, the profile ain't quite as fast anymore either!

• Options
    Chri5BChri5B ✭✭✭

Hill?  Who mention a hill?

Just looking at the route maps on the website suggests the dog-leg is on the homeward leg, so between 19 and 20 miles (so will hurt even more).

• Options
    fastballrcfastballrc ✭✭✭

My number came yesteday - Red,  London Road, 147.

This time next week we'll all be out there. And the conditions today - dull and overcast - would be perfect.

• Options
    yahoo pink 5350 regent rd. gonna smash my pb. off to bournemouth for some extra summer training!!! union conference then up to scotland for a bit of sun tanning. Please no 87 degree heat again!! the worst thing....the bloody walk to walyford bus station with wooden legs. flight leaves at 6pm so will need to get a move on.
  • Options
    oldscotiaoldscotia ✭✭✭

Hi Seejay,

The bus takes about 25 minutes from Musselburgh to St Andrews Square. Go to the lothian buses website for the timetable for that day. Also note that although it says the bus stop is the Ship Inn the bus stop is not actually at the Ship Inn but further up the road. I cant advise you on parking.

• Options

Last 10miler before the day.

Black 9366 for me image

Anyone noticed on the route map there isn't any energy station until mile 11? Or is that a mistake?

• Options

Duke,

I noticed that too, Not good, it means I will have to carry a few jelly beans or something, I usually have a first nibble at around 8 miles on my long runs.

Green 8181 in a Pink vest (breast Cancer Care)

• Options

I did a practice run today only carrying water for my 10 miles. Seemed all good and kept a 9:00min pace. I'm actually going to start at 10:00 pace and not build up until after around 15miles.

I had a few 20 milers planned in training, but didn't manage to break it until i adopted to above method. my first attempt I lost my bottle carrier (which I'm still debating whether to bring or invest in a small pouch for my nuun tablets) and the second I couldn't break through the pain after 16 miles.

Aiming for sub 4 maybe 3:30 depending on how i feel. 3:30 would be a whole hour difference to my time at eden project!

• Options

I have a bottle carrier with a small zip pocket as well, I have been taking it on all of my training runs to get used to it and also to practice taking food and fluids on the hoof!.

This will be my 1st marathon having only done a 1/2 last year in Glasgow as my first event. (1:59) I was poorly prepared for the 1/2 and didnt know what to expect, as I crossed the line I swore never again, but then entered for the following year the next day!

I've been following the RW break 4:00 or bust plan and not missed a single session. The 18 mile long run gave me more problems than the 20 and 22 milers.

I hope to run 8:20's for the first 5 or 6 miles, taking advantage of the terrain which will give me a buffer as I usually run a slower last few miles. Depends on the  weather and the congestion on the course I suppose.

9:09 average gets you in sub 4 so fingers xxed.

• Options

I managed to bring pace down from 9:55 to 9:24 in the last six miles. Add another six I reckon I can do it. Had a good 1/2 in reading getting a new PB of 1:42.36. Funnily enough my old PB was 1:59 dead after IOW.

• Options
    Done my last 10 mile run yesterday morning and feeling good for this week.

After marathon later that day I am wanting to go out for a bite to eat and a few drinks with the family. Can anyone reccomend anywhere thats "family" friendly? They are aged 10 and 5. Just would like a traditional but of pub grub will do and somewhere to relax with hopefully a few celebratory drinks. Prefer somewhere central as staying just off Princes street. Any ideas would be great
  • Options

BirminghamOwl - Red start - 464

11 easy miles yesterday and off for a massage today.

Owl

• Options
    fastballrcfastballrc ✭✭✭
    Apologies if I have missed it in all the pages of posts but has a post race pub been identified for general city centre post run pleasantries?
  • Options
    Red 838 for me. I've had a lazy weekend. Er I mean tapering.

Can I ask a question about after the race - I was planning on walking to the train station to get back into the City - or would I be better off getting the ticket for the bus ?

Never run Edinburgh before so I'm clueless.

Thanks.
  • Options

Green REgent Road 7900 for me, but i'm goign to start right at the back of that pen as my predicted time is now going to be much slower due to injury.  Planning on maybe trying to keep a lid on things at around 9.45's till half way and see how i feel in the second half, but probably will blast the first half and pay for it later!  Best laid plans never work for me!!!!

Very real now!!!!!  Flying up on Thursday, wish it would hurry up now!!!

• Options

Cougie - I've gotten the bus the last two years and it's been fine (although I'm a five hour finisher so it's nice and quiet by the time I eventually get to the bus queue)

This time next week it'll still be sore !

duffs

• Options
    pink 6461, regent roads.  I'm excited.
  • Options
    Chri5BChri5B ✭✭✭
    Cougie - I was looking at trains yesterday and there only seems to be one per hour back into Edinburgh.  Going tobe the bus for us I think.
  • Options

Cougie, if you look back a couple of pages there was some talk of walking to the station 1 stop out rather than the nearest one as that got very crowded. There is only 1 train an hour as I recall but that's what I plan to do unless I see a bus.

(it is fair to say that I am hoping to be finished relatively early so may not hit as many congestion problems as some.)

• Options
    Alistair Cooke wrote (see)
    pink 6461, regent roads.  I'm excited.

Pink ? I have just read the final instruction and there are elite, red, white, brown and yellow starts.

What have I missed ?

Owl

• Options
    depends which start you're at owl!!!  regent road has all sorts of lovely colours!!!  You must be a london road fasty?????
  • Options

I'm a Regent Road kid too.

Looks like we start 10 minutes after everyone else - what a cheek, we are slower, we should be getting a head start?

• Options
    Made a school boy error. Just realised my flight home is at 16:15 I should run the marathon in 4 hours but that only leaves me 1;45 to get back to the airport if I finish at 2ish. I see a train leaves Wallyford at 14;41 which I hope to get. But I will still need to get a bus from the city to the airport! It's gonna be a rush which I wont feel like after running a marathon.
  • Options

I'm at the brown start on London road - looking forward to itimage

Does anybody have experience of the 'marathon hub'? - worth checking out the day before or not bothering?

• Options

This thread has just caused me to read the final instructions again. I was not aware I started at 9.50 - I had assumed everyone started at 10am. That's a shock I did not need.

Owl