Options

Comrades (South Africa) 56 miles

Comments

• Options
    Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭
    Thanx for the bday wishes! I had cake - but also the busiest ever day at work- never mention the word injunction to me again! And that damn ash cloud, caa says significant disruption tues, even obama changed his plans cos of it, i am v worried! Let's all point north and blow!
    Right must sleep, up in 4 for more fun n games at work trying not to end up in court!
    Hopefully if mr grimsvotn shuts up, c y'all soon!
  • Options
    Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭

I am praying to the weather and wind gods this morning ... I tried to call BA to change my flight to today but no can do!!   I had to deal with the strikes last year too ...

Carmen I blowing North too .. as hard as a I can!

• Options
    Advice/info
    Having now found the link for the online race tracker (http://results.comrades.com/Tracker.aspx?RaceId=91&EventId=1), I cannot find link for the live video stream at the finish. Does anyone know what the URL is???

Thanks
  • Options
    FizziofinnFizziofinn ✭✭✭

http://www.met.ie/weathermaps/ISO_TOMORROW_ATL.png

imageSave your puff for Fields Hills. Anti - cyclones blow anti-clockwise so the blue cold front will be catching up on the warm red front so wind will be in a South westerly direction, so it should push the ash Northwards. So looks very promising for those leaving from London tomorrow.image

• Options
    Tricky bit is getting to Heathrow from Edinburgh.......................
  • Options
    Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

Swayer

Last year they only started promoting the URL for the video tracking a few days before Comrades so would expect to see it pretty soon!

Good luck with that Sue.

Keith

• Options
    Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭

air traffic control service just told us it's a 'watch and wait and see'.

aberdeen looks like it's opening

ryanair are having a fit and say they are about to start fying against the CAA

vulcanologist says it's not safe

so all as clear as mud, or volcanic ash.

• Options

Carmen: I too am busy as hell BUT (proud gold star moment) I have 3/4 packed last night. Am serously scared now and slept fitfully. I kept saying to myself 'for god's sake, it is only Monday, get a grip of yourself' but can't. The there's the added stress of force majeure. I've been caught in ash clouds twice already, please god don't make it three......................

SueW: if all else fails, get the train love, get the train.

• Options
    national rail enquiries is on my screen now!!
  • Options
    FizziofinnFizziofinn ✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed for you SueW. At least there is ground transport if it comes to the bit and you arent dependent on ferries. Nothing like a bit of a diversion for taking your mind off the challenge that lies ahead.image
  • Options
    Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    I am trusting Fizzio's weathermap but watching the BBC Volcano live as I am trying (unsuccesfully) to work.  I think thats making more worried to be honest!!
  • Options
    Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭
    I also had an email saying i could rebook my flights which doesnt bode well...
  • Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I've been lurking on this thread (I'll be going to Durban with jelly bean) - so good luck everyone! 

Look forward to meeting some of you at the weekend image

• Options
    FizziofinnFizziofinn ✭✭✭

Right. have to bring computer to the computer hospital , so from here on in , its internet cafes in airport and mc donalds!.

Very best of good wishes for final preparations and packing to you all.See you in LHR people and the rest of you good lookers on the Friday bus .

Whoohooo GO US!imageimageimage

• Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Fizz - the bag i used at connomara was quite small which is why it didn't move very much. I have a much larger one for comrades since have all sorts in there, gels, sweets, video camera etc etc.

As for the ash cloud, really feel for you sue, hope you make it to heathrow tomorrow night by whatever means. It really is like planes, trains and automobilesimage

Might see some of you at heathrow tomorrow night.

Quite sad on this forum now, its like noahs ark except we are signing off one by one.

And yay, holiday starts NOWimage

• Options

Fizz- They sell cider in the pubs here. The popular local brands are called Savannah and Hunters.

Have safe flights all of you flying out over the next few days!

• Options
    Odeon1085Odeon1085 ✭✭✭
    Hey folks. Sat at gatwick getting ready to board. Looking forward to meeting u all shortly. The very best of luck for Sunday to everyone. Can't wait to read the race reports!

Ode
  • Options
    Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

Well they let me check in online for tomorrow nights flight which I am taking as a good sign image

Must think about packing at some point - but the wine is calling at moment.

• Options
    Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

Wednesday 25th
    Slow Duck:Finn:Keith: sueW+a group of 10 from Carnegie Harriers LHR 7pm SAA
    Marty74: Marc LHR 8.30pm Virgin T3
    Carmen LHR T4 Air France 2010
    Slotwin LHR 2120 BA (1910 from AMS)
    Peter LHR T5 1910 BA

Thursday
    marc - 0835. Staying at Hilton. Return Mon 1930 VS602. PLUS PASTA PARTY!
    Stevie - 10:00 - Hilton
    Fizziofinn - 10:00 ( arr) - Marine Parade
    Peter 1115 - Berea
    Slow Duck 1115 - City Lodge - Leave Tuesday pm
    Swayer - 1115 - Tropicana
    Marty74 - 12pm SAA to Durban
    Slotwin 1330 - Hilton
    Carmen - 1500 - Morningside (but will head straight to Expo from airport i think)
    Trinity 1545 - Albany
    Fido2Dogs - 1700 - City Lodge
    Jelly Bean - 1710 - Albany
    Sam & Clive - LHR 2215 Emirates
    Keith - Hilton noon ish - leave Monday pm
    Stephen - dep 2010 LHR (arr Fri 13:20) - Hilton - leaving Mon 15:40

Friday
    Sam & Clive - 1710 - Hilton.....flying out Monday 1840

BUS TOUR
    Slotwin: Slow Duck : Carmen

Expo International Area 14:00 - 15:00
    Slotwin: Sportaloo: Douglas: Slow Duck : Carmen Keith

Pasta Party
    Slow Duck: Keith: Stephen: Malc: Trin: Jelly Bean + Wilkie: Slotwin: Finn; Marc; Carmen

DURING

Silver Surfers
    Stevie - 6:59:59
    Ode- 7.00 (Dream target)-7.29.59
    WarrenK - 7:25 (45023 - A seed)

BillyRs
    Keith 08:59      (21191 seeding C - shame as makes my bib different this year)
    Peter 08:45 (dream) - 09:15 (47902, seeding C)
    Trin 08:45 (49613 B seeding)
    Larry S- 8.59.59
    Sportaloo - 8:59 (31637 Seeding B)
    Marty74 - 8.59 (dream) - 9.59 (20885, seeding C)

Bronze breezers
    Douglas 9:30 – dream; 10:30 – otherwise (12015 – D)
    Slow Duck 9:59:59 (9436 - C)
    Fizziofinn 10.45
    Stephen - 10.55

VickieCs
    Slotwin 11:15 -11:45 (Pen F 12801)
    Sam (Pen G 14013) & Clive (Pen F 30018) 11:00 - 12:00
    Carmen 11:00 (dream) - 11:45 (12287 - G - right at the back!)
    SueW 11.00 - 12.00 - pen H, 12863

Undeclared/fence sitters
    Fido: Malc: JellyBean: Ben

AFTER

Post Race Meet up (open to change) Monday 12 noon Joe Kools - top floor - open deck with a bar in the centre - subject to it being sunny of course!

Jelly Bean: Wilkie: Peter: SD: Slotwin: Carmen: Trin: Fizziofinn
    F2D - Maybe Keith (flights permitting)

• Options
    I hope everyone has an easy and uneventful journey out to SA and I look forward to meeting some of you over the next few days.

Warren - If you read this before tomorrow night, do you happen to know if there is any access to breakfast at the Hilton on the morning of the race. Or more importantly for me, access to a toaster or microwave?
  • Options
    Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

Stevie - I am not warren - but last year the Hilton put on a DIY breakfast of toast, honey, bananas, coffee etc in the lobby

Its a great Hotel and full of runners and just over road from Expo.

May see you there

Keith

• Options

Fizz: just watched your post - AWESOME. Made me cry as I sooooo identified with the sentiments - and I haven't even done it yet!!!!

I'm all but packed, I've checked-in and am about to make those phone calls home, then it's .......SA here we come (cloud, fingers crossed, willing). Oo, almost forgot, got last run tomorrow as too biz at work to do it today - funny how quick your priorities shift!!!

May manage a post tomorrow, but if not - REALLY looking forward to hooking up with you guys soon. Safe travels to all those who are already en route or have still to go, and let's all make it to that finish line in one piece and before the cut-off.

• Options
    Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭
    good luck everyone!

i am beyond disorganised. got loads of clothes in the washing machine, not even started packing & air france won't let me check in!!!

arrghh! hopefully see some of u in the southern hemisphere! good luck everyone on sunday- hope you get want you want!

• Options
    Thanks Keith - That sounds perfect.
  • Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Checked-in too! Now just to get myself to the airport tomorrow avoiding the Obama entourage...

...and need to pack now!

See you all in Durban!
  • Options

nearly booked train tickets but checked with airline first.  If we don't turn up for the first bit of the journey, (Edinburgh to Heathrow) we're deemd to be no shows and the rest of our journey is cancelled!  A part of the T&Cs I hadn't read!
    Fingers crossed!

• Options

They are predicting the ash cloud to clear by tomorrow now. 

I think we are going to be O.K

I am flying out of Heathrow tomorrow, with Air France, going via Charles De Gaulle and Johannesburg. 

• Options
    SportalooSportaloo ✭✭✭
    Travel safely guys and girls,looking forward to meeting you at the expo on Friday.

I will be going down to Dbn tomorrow as I live near Jhb. Last day at work and last 10km run this morning. WHOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!
  • Options
    Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭

Last run done this morning, only 30 minutes but was pretty chilly out this morning!  Have checked in ... and the cloud seems to be moving away so looks like we are good to go!!

See you all in Durban ....

• Options

Stevie - I chatted to the Food and Beverage manager and he tells me they will be offering a service in line with what Keith mentioned from 3:30. I asked him to make sure there was a toaster there for you image

Looks good re the ash cloud as it seems to be clearing over the UK from reports on the BBC.