Options

IMUK 2011

Comments

• Options

Still not stupid enough to stick my name down for IMUK...

But just got the offical 2010 DVD.. And I'm on it !!!!!!!!!!!  as well as loads more pirates !

• Options
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/55745/Gallery/Road_top_&_profile_blk.jpg

ISM Adamo Road Saddle. Hopefully it'll be kind to me!

• Options
    Give the feedback once you've had a few rides, this on is top of my list
  • Options
    Dave the ex sparten, how is the DVD? Is it worth the purchase? Is there a lot of footage that wasn't on the tv? I haven't signed up either, too much other stuff I want to do this year so can't commit to the training but I'll be here to give support and be a training buddy for anyone that wants it. I'm thinking of volunteering on race day just to show my support and appreciation.
  • Options

Right Bought the DVD and

Richard you are on it in the extras 15 + mins in at the ind. est. feed station.

Slim I only met you once (I think) but I think you are in the extras 1 + mins in T1 before the start behind a guy being interviewed and at the start of sheep house lane at 12 + mins

Andy really not sure but in the extras there's a guy who looks similar to you walking to the flash at the start who puts his hands up when he sees the camera, don't if that rings a bell with you?

I'm not sure if its me but at 1.14 mins in the back ground  faffing with my wetsuit. There's a better clip of my brother in-law than me at 6.51 image

Can't respond to PM's on RW for some reason?

• Options
    hey Woody i might have to buy it now .... fame at last, i knew it was just a matter of time before I was 'discovered'...  image
  • Options
    hows everyones training going?? my running is going ok..though i've not been doing as much as i wanted...still always just ticking over at this time of year.
    about to strip my bike and give it a good winter clean...i have a turbo trainer now so gonna give that an easy hour tomorrow...build myself back into it ready for the silly season to start in just over a month!!

how is that seat Laura?? i like the look of that!!!

Gary you not coming the BCTTT do this weekend??
  • Options
    One bike ride 13 miles ish but crashed image   2 x 10k XC and one marathon.
  • Options
    short steady runs 3-6 mile
    Turbo trainer 1 hour, or more if i can handle the boredom...
    Should be back on my training bike tomorrow, ive got it fixed again after a small incident with a blind car driver, I bet it snows and ruins my plans. I cant wait to cycle outside again.
    Swimming tonight, It'll be the first time for about 2 years so i have some work to do....
  • Options
    well no swimming for me..the shoulder problem is now being looked at , it was/is supraspinatus impingement....which to you and me is torn tendons in the rotator cuff apparently...so having it treated..will do some swimming after crimbo but my swimming wont kick in proper till OW season is on us...to be honest...i'm not a superstrong swimmer and never will be...so i'll be happy to knock off 5 minutes from last year and i could prob do that on a 6 week swim training plan.
  • Options

Andy - hope the shoulder gets sorted  for you.

I've finally managed a road ride on the new Adamo saddle after being struck down with a hideous cold for ages. It's by far the most comfy saddle I've ever ridden. A bit hard on the sit bones at first, but nothing else is in contact with it so no squashed lady bits at the end of the ride! Perfect image

• Options

I have been swimming 3 times a week and running 3 times a week up to about 8 miles. Turbo twice a week for an hour each time.

I am in the middle of a rest week now and will build it up again for 3 weeks before taking a fortnight off for Christmas. 3rd Jan is when the fun really starts

Hope your shoulder repairs well, mate.

That saddle looks the biz

• Options
    Running and swimming 3 or 4 times per week and cycling on my mtb once or twice a week. My runs are usually at a slow pace of 1hr and one long run of 2 to 2hr 30mins. The swimming is coming along quite well considering that I couldn't do front crawl at  all back in august. I bought one of those swim mate watches that counts your laps, and today I swam over 1k. There's no real structure to the training at the moment but I'm enjoying it and looking forward to starting my proper training plan in jan. 
  • Options
    Only 240 sleeps left :.)

Doing a hour on the turbo today, then off to work
  • Options

Hurray...the snow has nearly gone. Back to the streets.

Is everyone OK? This is a spookily quiet thread. Anyone getting any cool gadgets for Christmas to help them achieve the impossible?

• Options

Still in sub zero temperatures in Bolton all the side streets are pack ice lethal on foot or behind a wheel.

Both races planed for last weekend canceled, which I wasn't too disappointed about having picked up a stinker of cold mid last week but getting on the better side of it now.

Boringly no cool gadgets planed

• Options
    First time on the Turbo since last march.....just a 40 minute sufferfest video....forgot how much the turbo hurts....got a lot more work to do!!!
    no gadgets planned for me either...i got just about everything under the sun last year so i daren't spend any more or the WAT officer will have me!!!
  • Options
    I've got a swim mate watch and a new turbo trainer that I've tried a couple of times for an hour or so. I've also got me self one of those pull buoys. I can cover the 3.8k in the pool with the pull buoy but not without it. Lots more drills and practice I guess. 
  • Options

OK we're off. My 2011 IM training plan started today.

As long as you count a 4.5m run to re-connect me with my car discarded on NYE and a 90 min turbo watching Tarantinio's Death Proof. Still not sure about that movie after the second viewing but it did distract me from the turbo-boredom.

I got one of those swimovate watches for Christmas too and it is very clever. I still counted my lenghts when I tested it but it didn't put a foot wrong.

How's everyone else doing? Training plans ready to go...

• Options
    Did the Liverbird mara new years eve, first proper run for 6 weeks and I did say my bike training will start in the new year, so I will promise..... although I've just got in and had a few image be out on the bike tomorrow image
  • Options

Ooooo, I fancy a swimovate watch. Good to hear they work properly.

I'm heading out on the bike soon - all my december rides were done on the turbo, very boring!

• Options
    One bit of advice if this is your first ironman. Don't train too hard for the first 10 weeks or you will start to resent the training. Make it fun and enjoyable, and keep it nice and easy. Don't worry if you miss the odd session or don't follow your plan exactly, it won't really matter that much. Once the training kicks up a level in about 12 weeks time, you'll be glad you took it easy to start with.

Good luck everyone!

I'm looking forward to hearing about everyone's progress
  • Options
    my training proper starts tomorrow...i'm having a few beers with friends tonight and then i'm gonna have a completely dry month of Jan to kick start stuff.
    I've had quite a few doubts over christmas about if i want to go through this all again so i'm hoping that starting training gives me a bit of motivation...i'll perk up a lot once the weather turns a bit warmer i reckon.
    good luck to you guys starting the journey this week too.
  • Options
    Started back training this week after  the christmas period off, well most of it, put on about 6lb and to be honest I suffered for it. I made the mistake of getting over excited and going straight into a long run my first day back ( 10 miles) which took me 1hr:30 ( my legs were killing me).  So yesterday I did a pool session with and without the pull buoy and covered 1k . Today I'm going to do a brick sesh on the turbo, 45mins/1hr bike  to a short easy run. Still enjoying it though.
  • Options
    same as that firey, well i didnt do 10 miles (and couldnt in 90 mins) i did 5 in just under an hour tuesday, then did a 45 interval turbo session followed by a 30 minute run.....honest my legs are dead and i might need a day off 2 days into it..lol. amazing how quickly fitness leaves you.
    I'm on the wagon for this month though...also (and i've never admitted this before to anybody) joined up with weightwatchers online....i'm not exactly massive but i want to drop about a stone over the next few months and having that helps me plan what i eat and make sure i dont over estimate.
    oh also...for good turbo workouts if your in front of a PC or can have one close by
    http://www.turbotraining.co.uk/

its good
  • Options

I'll have a look at that site Andy, thanks. I know what you mean about the weight thing though, I'm a big eater and don't seem to have that mechanism that tells you when you're full lol. I lost almost 2 stone since last Jan just doing mainly slow runs, cutting down portion sizes and eating more fruit. I've just got back from the brick session and tbh I enjoyed  it . I took Richard Sharp 13's advice and It worked,thanks Richard.

Ps I also cut back on the amount of alcohol I was consuming last year and I think that contibuted to a lot of the weight loss. On the wagon for me to mate, new years eve well put me off.

• Options
    oh yeah i've had the go ahead to start swimming from the physio too....so if i get chance i'll go for a short session tonight see how it holds up fingers crossed
  • Options

Hi All

I am a bit late to this party but am in for IMUK too

Am doing Don Fink's Be Iron Fit programm as recommended by Triumphant - if anybody is still looking for a simple programme, this one is brilliant.  It has a 'Get you round an Ironman' plan too which is great for people who have little time / families / a life  image

I've done quite a few sprints, a couple of olympics and one half IM, but am new to MDOT - any helpful pointers to avoid me kakking myslef in July would be appreciated - although perhaps kakking yourself is compulsory....

• Options
    welcome Ali...if you've been following the thread you'll know a few of us had a crack last year...most finished (woody & Triumphant to name a couple) i didn't. I cant tell you how to get round mate but i can tell you how to deal with the fear....embrace it.....its coming whether you like it or not. lol

glad you've joined in mate..any questions just ask...otherwise we'll see you for some training rides in the spring???
  • Options
    Embrace the fear ! ....Love it Andy.