Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    11 in blue sky's and sunshine this morning. image

End of PD recovery week 3. Way too fast again. Started out too plan with some nice comfy 8s then progressively picked up the pace with a couple sub 6.45s half way through, eased off to complete in av 7.20. Max HR % 75ish.

Good luck to racers today, lovely day for it.
  • Options

15.5M for me on a similar route to last week, i.e. muddy and hilly.  Good for the leg strength, if not a bit tiring after yesterday's exertions.  Rewarded myself with my favourite granola and chocolate milk.

• Options

LB70 - so who are you in real life? Which club?

East Mids XC this morning was decidedly less muddy than yesterday's North Mids, but more technical underfoot and a ridiculous chicane up and down the same steep slope, which is mostly very uneven underfoot. I came 3rd this time though, so an improvement on the last one, mostly because a few fast girls weren't there (Sarah Harris for one) but also I started much nearer the front so as not to get boxed in as I did at Trent Meadows. I still got stuck behind slow folks on two narrow trails, which allowed the girl ahead of me to increase the gap significantly. I doubt I could have beaten her today though, my poor legs are trashed. A week of no running followed by 9 miles, 7 miles and yogalates, 12 miles and Body Pump, Parkrun and XC then another XC turns out to be a bit, er, foolish? 

However, I have a half marathon in 4 weeks, and while I realise I won't PB (it's not a  PB course at the best of times) it would be nice to at least manage MP on it. I need to claw back some fitness. 

• Options

Crap X-C race for me this morning: my performance crap and not the race itself. Last tear I was 12th overall, 3rd vet in a time of 35:37. Today 57th overall and a time 37:51. Bigger and better field this year, same time last year would have been 41st, but no excuses: just no fitness with just 100 miles in the last month and weeks of 42, 28, 10 and 10.

Have put the bike into the car so will cycle for a few weeks and hope the foot injury recovers: any hints and tips how to keep up running fitness on a bike? Uphill or flat? Fast or slow and long?

• Options
    LB70LB70 ✭✭✭
    Hi Speedy - Newark AC, what about you?

This is only my third XC (Cranwell and Wollaton Park last year), so can't really comment on the course. I actually didn't mind it, but that's probably because XC is still a bit of a novelty for me. Plus my 9 year old son made his XC debut as well in the U11's race

Are the East Mids races better then the North Mids events then?
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

LB70 - my son runs for your club - he was at Kettering. 
    Speedy - not so foolish - sometimes good to have an unstructured, "what the hell" kind of spell, if only for a mental break . . .
    Got my letter y'day - Dec 6th for knee op; however 7 miles y'day & 6 today (albeit very slow)  with knee feeling absolutely fine leaves me in a bit of a quandary - shame I can't have another scan. 

• Options

Birch - will they not scan again when you go in for the op?

LB70 - I'm Redhill. Not sure if the East Mids are 'better'. They're shorter and far more technical. North Mids are easy courses and the speedsters run them, East Mids usually involve plodging or scrambling or hurdling, but the speedsters stay away on the whole. 

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

No, they put the arthroscope (camera) in, then do what's necessary. The consultant did say I needn't have the op if I felt things had improved between scan & op date (which it seems is the case), but I don't want to cancel op, then have a "relapse" later and be back to square one. (Maybe it's a "stitch in time" scenario).

• Options
    LB70LB70 ✭✭✭
    Hi Birch, small world, particularly as Newark is a small club. Your son's a great runner (wish I was as fast) and he had a good race yesterday - you'll have to persuade him to step up tothe marathon

Speedy - I'll have to give one of the East Mids races a go. Is it the Turkey Trot you're doing in 4weeks?
  • Options

It is indeed LB70. It's a nice run, but rather hilly. I first met Richard Whitehead there a few years ago. He beat me, naturally! Are you doing it?

• Options

Well hello

I feel like I can actually turn up at a marathon discussion thread once more. Not that I can confidently target 3:15 with my current lack of endurance. Weekly mileage is piss poor, due to other side tracking considerations but my focus is to try and remember to put in a good 20 miler every couple of weeks.

Friday, went out round the regular long haul route, met up with a mate after an hour and we carried on for the rest of it. A couple of detours added a little but DID SHE JUST YATTER ON? Especially as I hit mile 18 and started the 5 mile incline towards home. Through gritted teeth we kept the pace going uphill without too much lost. Total? Almost 23 miles at an average of 8:36m/m. Afterwards it felt like I'd raced it.

Saturday, 50 mile bike ride with folks from the dark side. The last 10 miles had uphill sections and the quads were on fire.

This had better all be worth it.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Birch - all the best with the op. Funny how the telly doesnt go on the blink once the man from Radio Rentals has been called out !

PMJ - you had a good year up to and including VLM, your PF issues might be a consequence of chasing shorter distance times and rankings straight after VLM. Hopefully if you are wise you can achieve your marathon aspirations in the next few years, but you might need to chase marathon relevant consistency and let the shorter distance rankings go for a while. Running hard and running fast are the two biggest risks and doing both is a risky business ! Good luck with the PF, Scott Molina said as much ankle, foot and lower leg stretching as possible worked for him, BUT you might be wise to have a few weeks/months totally off the running and now is the best time of year to do that. 

Blisters - 23M run in November, I thought you were training for a Sept IM ! Dont think there is a 23M run in any IM training plan esp 10 months out. I kind of like the madness of it though, my 12M run today felt similar after a few weeks of 5 and 6 milers.

• Options
    LB70LB70 ✭✭✭
    Speedy - I ran it last year after hearing good things about it and really enjoyed it, but didn't think about it in time this year!
  • Options

TR
    Do you think I've read any training plans?
    I've got though Andy Holgate's inspirational book twice, without pausing.
    I now own Going Long, and have got as far as "make the hard sessions hard and the easy ones easy".
    I think that I need to be marathon fit at all times now if I want to claim to be a Pirate. In that respect I've advised the wife, in the way that any husband can, that:
    - there is a local marathon on 20th January 2013...
    - (waits for reaction before booking)
    - as I didn't get my stupid head chewed off, I presume that's an enthusiastic approval.
    - enter event and write the date down on the calendar so I can say "I told you ages ago".

I rather hope that I will not be needing to start taking walking breaks at mile 11 this time.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Blisters - dont know who Andy Holgate is, I only know who Deek and Jonesy are. I have Going long though. Looks like Gloucester Mara then, nice one, I'll be able to vote for you as marathoner of the year again soon then.

• Options

I'm doing the Turkey Trot too Speedy as a Clubmate who is injured offered up the place. I've heard it is a bit hilly/undualting so I've been doing some good hilly routes in preparation. Did a 14 mile "find as many hills and run them" route tonight.

Good luck with the op Birch!

• Options

Nice running yesterday DM, Jools.
    Speedy - great result on tired legs in the XC.
    PMJ - sorry to hear the recovery is taking longer than you hoped. Be patient.
    LB70 - must be good to have your son join you in the XC.
    Birch - great to get the date for your op; but difficult decision to make now the knee feels ok.
    Blisters - nice LSR; the endurance will return.
    Nice and easy 6 miler for me this morning.

• Options
    Hi Blisters- having recently completed Dartmoor vale marathon, I had read one of your reviews/reports with interest in the run up! Are you tempted to have another crack at that one sometime? Fairly challenging? image
  • Options

hello all,

hope alls well- seems like some good training going on, glad Gul is getting the millage back (at the cost of a toe nail!) and blisters getting in a november 23miler! Lots of XC going on too- is XC a club only game?

Not much to report here- another slow 50miles this week, and a bit of cycling.

Tried one mile at MP+15s mid week - It came out averaging the same BPM that I averaged for the last mile of the marathon! Not sure what to think of that. Hoping to start thinking about spring HMs this week, but will play it by ear if thats where I'm at now.

Thank you all for your thoughts previously on HM training- I've decided to adopt a mrathon training aproach and race a half rather than racing long. Will see how it goes

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Welcome (back)?  Blisters - was the 23 a crazed "out of the blue" expedition, or have you been building back towards longer distance? Either way, more inspiration for me to return from the puny foothills of where I am - 7 mls Sat in 74 mins ( did stop a couple of times, tho'), 6.6 y'day in just over the hour  . . . . .
    LB70 - "you'll have to persuade him to step up to the marathon " - tks,LB70, but he's much too sensible image . . . .

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    DM- how are you getting on with the head torch as I fancy one myself.

Gul- hope the toe isn't throbbing too much and well done on the breakthrough mileage.

16 miles for me yesterday morning. Great time to be running along the Kennet canal on a frosty and sunny morning. That is the longest I've run since VLM but I was doing that length of LR this time last year off of 40 miles a week, now I'm doing 50+ miles a week it felt pretty comfortable.
  • Options

Morning all,

Speedy - nice XC result image. And I'm with you on the Town Moor course - Minni is deluded image

The Stowmarket 7 was pretty good yesterday - perfect weather and a nice run out over a slightly odd distance. I was going to treat it like a 10k and just hang on, but then remembered I haven't run a 10k in about 3 years so didn't really remember how to do one! I wasn't sure how well I'd recovered from the Town Moor but just decided I was going to target sub 49, try not to overcook it at the start as mile 1 is net downhill, and save a bit for the second half which is largely uphill.  Splits were 6.39, 6.56, 6.19 (measured short), 7.23 (measured long), 7.13 (uphill), 6.45, 6.52 - finish time 48.07 and 3rd lady. Dinky little cup (gotta luv the bling) and £10 for my day's work. Nice image

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Looks like I missed out on a busy w/end- away in London for my anniversary. Sunday LSD consisted of an 8 mile run around the docklands- changed a lot since my school days.. 

• Options
    Moof- it's a Silva trail runner plus. The battery pack is worn on a Seperate belt around the waist. When it arrived I was skeptical about the separate battery belt as the cable clips on the head band at the back and runs down your back under shirt or jacket.

Looked fidly and "faffy" to me on first inspection. However, once you get it fitted properly and cable management sorted I have to say its a quality piece of kit. Battery pack is so light you don't feel it's there and head band is comfy especially over a beanie. I've used it 4 times now and I am more conscious of wearing the HR strap now than the head torch! Beam has 3 levels and vertically adjustable. Top level of beam is extremely bright and will dazzle people coming towards you. Very pleased for 46 pounds. They have a super duper model out now which is 180 pounds. No thank you.
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Top work Freemers. Did you feel totally recovered from the marathon?

• Options

Minni - I think so, although as it was a short distance it's hard to say if my legs would have started to hurt with anything longer.  I guess the HM in 2 weeks will tell me everything! You have a 10 miler next weekend don't you? What's your strategy for that?

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

I'm curious how long it lasts for DM. £180 for a super duper model with a strap-on waist belt could be a bargin if it goes all night long. 

• Options
    LB70LB70 ✭✭✭
    It was great thanks Gul - although his race started just after mine, I still got to see him due to the way the course looped. Also as he'd finished before I'd finished the first of three laps, I got his shouts of encouragement at the end of each lap!

On the downside I had two pairs of spikes to clean yesterday!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Keir - alpkit gamma. Sub3 thread favourite. LT 1/10th of £180 too.

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    DM- I have to do a few miles urban before the rural so as long as it last about an hour out in the sticks then it will be okay.

It's my son's 7th birthday next week, I know what to get him now.image