Options

RunLiverpool Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options
    Sazza30 wrote (see)
    I had the exact same conversation with myself before the start yesterday and then for the whole 13.1 miles i thought why the hell do i do this, why oh why.  I am sure my words in a full marathon will be a lot stronger ha.
    There you have already convinced yourself your doing it image.
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    I've never yet said "never again" even when I've had a really bad time...........but there's always a first time!
  • Options
    Not sure if others agree, but for me Sazza the hardest part is the dedication to the training, but once on the start line there is no way I'm not getting across that finish, you've proved you can do it as shown yesterday, come on get that marathon application in...Eye of the Tiger...Grrrrr
  • Options

Sazza i am also new to running properly started training last November for my first Half Marathon in Blackpool did a time of 2hr 29 with a couple of hundred people behind me (and a good thousand in frontimage) at 9 miles i thought what an idiot i was ...then i managed to finish..image 4 weeks later i am in the Liverpool half and knocked 16 mins off my Blackpool time now looking to compete in my first 10k (Tunnel Run in June) in under an hour...then the big one a Marathon possibly not till next year but to be a distant runner surely this has to be done ...the thing is it can be done in your own time maybe two years from now maybe this October but as i have found running is a personal thing you set your own challenge's and when you reach them a new one replaces it ...Good luck

Slimline Chips ...agree with training i can never seem to get more than 5 miles before i start to struggle and want to go home yet on race day i was at my best between 6-9 miles

Alan more than happy with my T-Shirt and the stuff in the goodie bag my second medal just as good as my first and the Banana's were a god send at the end of the race...Thanks will be entering next year just more toilets please ...image

• Options

Last year, just prior to the half marathon I had just started taking medication for an anxiety disorder. I was having a really bad spell with my parents and I snapped and plunged into a terrible state. I had only been on the meds for a few weeks and they were starting to take effect.

I had a major panic attack half way round the course in Sefton Park and wanted to DNF. I was screaming at Mr LB to run on and leave me but he wouldn't go anywhere and insisted on staying with me. I felt trapped and stalked and I hated him for it.

It was the worst run of my life. We all remember the wind on the prom and I was trying really hard not to be sick. I was angry, panicky and nauseous. I walked a good portion of it and got a PW of 2.20.

It was a bad race. We all have them. This year I had a lovely race. Probably the best half marathon experience I've ever had. Certainly the easiest! I didn't take a single walk break, even for a drink and I loved every minute of it.

Running is a funny bedfellow. You never know what kind of you is going to turn up on the day. Just don't let a bad race put you off.

By the way, Mr LB was ABSOLUTELY right to ignore my screaming at him to p*ss off and leave me alone!  I needed someone with me desperately that day. I just didn't realise it. I guess that's what you get after 20 years with someone....image

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Wow, some great stories of personal grit and determination coming out! It's what makes us marathoners image

LB, I think Mr LB and Mr Redhead have plenty in common (except mine doesn't run with me) as he gets shouted at when things go wrong and has to mop up the tears and tolerate the tantrums image

As I'm tapering I'm about to enter the "I'm never going to get round Brighton or VLM" phase so I'd better get some more beers in for MrR!

Later I'm off to deliver my 'please sponsor me' letters around the local villages. I usually like to start pestering around the time of the Hastings 1/2 but I'm a bit behind this year. I shall combine it with a few fartleks for added interest image
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing your stories it helps to hear other peoples journeys. I think big part it for me is knowing can do it I know we all have shit runs but I want to be able to run over have distance say 15 miles and know that I can do it without that doubt without sometimes needing to stop. I think the inconsistencies in my running and performance are what fills me with doubt.

Am thinking of trying build up from Sunday half and see how I go then enter over next week or so. So much of running is mental state isn't it and sometimes that where I struggle with due to my mood and stress etc, just shows though LB it can be done with bit push you shown that.Often our minds can be our own worst enemy.
  • Options
    So you waiting for the upswing in Marathon entries while everyone is still buzzing from the half Alan? Even by the end of March you've got to be well on the way to a full house already! Already beginning to mark out training runs to enter....got to do this one right!
  • Options

Sazza - be careful about building mileage straight off the back of a race. You will have pushed yourself on Sunday and it might be an idea to take it a bit EASIER this week and maybe go for a longer run next weekend instead. You need to give your body time to recover.

Never up the distance by more than 10% and always try to incorporate an easier week every third week when you're building up mileage. It prevents injury and helps you mentally.

The best piece of advice for building over half marathon distance I was ever given was SLOW IS GOOD. Running slowly takes practice. You should be at LEAST 90 seconds a mile below whatever pace you ran at on Sunday and 2 minutes a mile would be even better if you can do it while you're learning.

What you're actually doing is building an aerobic base. The idea is that you should feel that you can hold a full conversation at that pace. It should feel easy and comfortable and you should finish feeling you could carry on. It is NOT about speed. I don't care if you're doing 13 minute miles. Gobi is a VERY accomplished runner on this forum and regularly knocks out 6 minute miles but will still happily run at 13 mm to help someone learn how to pace an LSR properly.

And he's always shouting at me to slow down! It's not easy.image

• Options
    I've been thinking the same Redhead. I'm never going to get around Brighton! Trying to work out how much I need to run in the last 2 weeks. I guess less is more when tapering!
  • Options

Great advice Liverbird as i was keeping my pace on sunday which paid off running down the prom overtaking several walkers/people stretching/strugglers and even sprinted to the finish

10minute mile almost all the way just got to get down to 9 for halfs and keep at 10 for the full

• Options

Sazza, what I think during a race all seems to disappear once I've crossed the finish line and realized what I just accomplished with my body.  And that accomplishment is what has me coming back, slowly making my way around the courses.

I started running in Sept. '08 using the "Couch to 5k" programme, and before that I really couldn't do more than 30-45 second spurts.  I even took an 'F' in PE one day in school, because I was sick of embarrasing myself in front of my classmates.  I did my first 5k in Dec. '08, 10k in May '09, half-marathon in Oct. '09, and marathon in Sept. '10.   After my first half, I thought I was both insane for having done it, and would never do it again.  And now Liverpool this past weekend was my fifth image 

Early on in traning for the Berlin marathon last year (around June, with the marathon being in September) I had a bit of a freak out about not being able to actually do it.  I cried (in an email) to a friend, who then sent me the following quote "Part of the challenge of the marathon is pushing past what you think is physically possible. You can do more than you think you can."  And it's so true, and it's pretty much why I keep doing these events.  I don't love running, I don't lace up my shoes going "yes, I can't wait to get out and feel the road beneath my feet!"  I do it because I'm proving to myself over and over again that I am now doing something that I used to not be able to do, even if I am at the back of the pack.

And I do run for the t-shirts, so I can passively show others what I've done image

• Options
    finished my first marathon in paris with the usual' never again'! signed up for next one 3 days later. didnt do any last year as i was getting married so worked on speed a lot and got my half time down from 1:57 to 1:43
  • Options

I was only ever going to do one Marathon, now training for my 3rd. After the first one in Blackpool I couldn't wait to sign up for another, during my 2nd in London I was never doing another one, it was a day my race plans fell apart and it took over 3 hours to do the 2nd half.

You get over the bad races, although if it hadn't been for the RunLiverpoolMarathon I'm not sure I'd be doing one this year (wife and kids sent their thanks Alan, a whole summer of me going out running)

Looking forward to 9th October, not looking forward to 20+ mile runs in the summer.

• Options
    Me neither Stu. I'm crap at training in the heat. image
  • Options
    I'm just crap at training.
  • Options

Look on the positive side - we'll all be tanned for the Marathon with the long sunny runs under our belts !

• Options
    I'm not training abroad. image
  • Options
    After Sunday (my 4th half marathon) it made me realise just how much more work I’ve got to do before October but at the same time made me so excited. I really can’t wait. I'm strangely looking forward to the training I know times ill be cursing my self and wanting to go home but I think that’s part and parcel of the whole experience and makes crossing the line ever more special!!

Does anybody know of any mid distance runs late summer to use as a training run? I looked at the kilomathon but that’s next week, would be perfect in august September that

• Options
    LIVERBIRD wrote (see)
    I'm crap at training in the heat. image
    Which is why I ended up training in late evening last year image  Although with each season, I find myself going "oh, I prefer [whatever the opposite season is]!"
  • Options

I love training in the heat.. Shades, ipod, sweets, energy gels... It's like a summer picnic when I'm running down trans pennine & canals in Warrington..

Oh & stop off at shop for ice cold water.. Hate carrying my own..

I actually look forward to those 2hr run's.. On my own no Wife or baby image

• Options

Sorry for (still) being on the wrong thread, but I never doubted that the course would be accurately measured, there just appeared to be a few corners that could have been cut.

About the T shirts, they were a nice colour but, I personally don't enter a race to get one at the end, it's the experience that counts, (I do treasure the one I got at NYC though)

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    I'd rather have a decent medal than a tee shirt image

When I did the Draycote 35 miler all I got was a tee shirt and I wanted a nice shiny medal!
  • Options
    I'm a fan of both t-shirts and medals! image But, I prepare my expectations based on what was advertised. I'm loving my shirt from this weekend, despite being initially disappointed about the size.

Looking forward to seeing the marathon merchandise image
  • Options
    tealsocks wrote (see)
    LIVERBIRD wrote (see)
    I'm crap at training in the heat. image
    Which is why I ended up training in late evening last year image  Although with each season, I find myself going "oh, I prefer [whatever the opposite season is]!"

I dont mind the heat, But when training for IM in 2009 we went for a 18 mile run one evening in June, there was a breeze when we left the gym and that stopped after about 2 miles. After 10 miles the temperature had risen and me and Will were looking at puddles along the canal and deciding whether they would be safe to drink!!

we ended up ringing Mrs JP to bring us some more water.

I would rather have a medal and pay extra for a technical Tshirt

• Options
    R32 - you must run the same routes as we do. If you fancy a plod along the Sankey canal give us a shout
  • Options
    Have you been to visit us on the SNOD thread yet, JPenno? image

Go on, you know you want to ...
  • Options
    *Frodo* wrote (see)
    Have you been to visit us on the SNOD thread yet, JPenno? image Go on, you know you want to ...

I have the profile and application open in another browser

http://www.snowdoniamarathon.co.uk/Route-and-Profile.asp

Will probably get it entered on Friday

• Options
    Again, yay! image

(I should be on commission image )