Options

RunLiverpool Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options
    Northern lass, the marathon is only just starting again this year after a very long break.
    It's all down to one man and a lot of hard work, Mr Alan Rothwell.
    Anyway, the course will be great as will the the atmosphere. You've made a good choice.
  • Options
    Hiya Northern Lass! Sorry to hear about your foot. I can't keep up with the Brighton Marathon thread!
  • Options
    Thanks, Alan. I've 99.9% decided to come up and do the Tunnel Run as well, just need to register! image. Just wanted to say I appreciate the baggage facilities offered by the events!
  • Options

Can someone please give me the push I need? Really want to enter this but I can't just see how its possible!

Last Sunday's HM was my second and I went round in what I consider to be a good time for me, and had plenty left at the end. Generally had a brilliant morning - BUT - when I got home I couldn't get out of the car, the next morning I couldn't get down the stairs, my feet both hurt, my left knee keeps giving way! Managed 5 fairly quick miles today though.

So how can I do the full marathon if the HM left me such a mess ... but I'm as fit as I've ever been so I think its now or never!

Also - is the Warrington HM too close to this (3 weeks earlier) to allow me to do both? Not really sure how the training goes ... I thought that was an exhilarating, but wet, run last year.

• Options
    Congrats Faz you felt physically exactly the same as me and I guess many others, knees etc, but you are now back on form with a five miler today, I think your being a bit harsh on yourself, not to be aching the next day or two would make me think you sat in the lead car instead. The full marathon is defo within your reach is my guess.
    I'm thinking of doing the Warrington HM but as a training ru,n rather than a race as I'm also doing the marathon in 3 weeks myself
  • Options

Thanks for the encouragement Slimline Chips - I just need to get my head round whether doing back-to-back HM is doable. Maybe its all in the training - I regularly run up to 13 miles in traing for a HM so is it just a matter of gradually building the weekend runs up to 20+?

Will my legs cope???

• Options

Faz i am a bit like you with regards to the marathon full of doubt.  Only diffference is i felt like i had nothing in tank by end of sunday so you are heads up on me after that one.  There is plenty of time to train and build up.  I keep telling myself the same now or never as who knows when circumstance may change and other commitments take over etc.

I am entered in warrington half so if do marathon will also be using it as a kind of taper training run.

• Options
    I remember my 1st half before London a few years back and I thought how the hell can I do that again, but with the training in the bank I completed it, OK I hurt the next few days but I have the medal.
    I assuming you trained specifically for the half and not the full so understandably the Full Marathon seems a little far off at present, but do those long runs and your legs and(head) will become accustomed to the work required to get you over the finish line.
  • Options
    Race JaseRace Jase ✭✭✭
    Hello Alan et al,

Just a quick question- does/will the marathon have a uka licence? I noticed that Sunday's half didn't and as such results didnt appear on Po10 so just wondered whether there would be a licence for the full monty.

Many thanks,

Race Jase
  • Options
    Yes RN the Brighton thread is understandably full of excitement at the minute!! I still like to pop in to see where everyone's at even though I can't participate myself image(

Going to line up a couple HM before the Liverpool Marathon to test this foot when I'm running again. Definitely my favourite distance.
  • Options
    Race JaseRace Jase ✭✭✭
    Great, thank you. An entry on it's way shortly.
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Hi Northern Lass <waves> glad you popped over here image

Hi Faz and V monster and well done on completing the 1/2! The marathon is a whole different beastie to the 1/2 and requires a nice slow build up of mileage over the many weeks of training. If my old leggies can cope then anyone can do it image

Speaking of my leggies, I'm not going to run today as I have an ouchy bit underneath my left knee just to the right side . I can pinpoint it so I've iced it, ibuprofen gelled it and it's getting 2 days off. It may not even have been caused by running as I've been doing some heavy gardening and scrabbling around on the ground so could have twisted it then. I've got a sports massage booked for next week so that should sort it out.
  • Options

Hi

Are there still places available for this does anyone know?  

• Options
    Yes - still open !
  • Options

Oh thanks for that cougie - I thought it may have been filled up by now. 

I probably will have to wait a few weeks before I can enter as funds are abit low at the moment!

• Options

Thanks Redhead, V Monster and Slimline - I think I'm almost ready to commit to this - a couple more days just to be certain!

I'm thinking I may do it with a charity - for shamefully selfish reasons - if I've got folk sponsoring me I really won't want to pull out!

• Options
    image Pay day and time to enter. can I be checky and ask Alan to put the website link up again please. imageimage
  • Options
    image Found it and entered! image
  • Options

Yay, Cake image

And have you had anymore thoughts about Snowdonia? image

• Options

hi everyone image

i'm doing Brighton in a few weeks but  really want to do a Autumn Marathon so booked abingdon, but Liverpool looks so great that I'm considering putting abingdon off and doing this instead. decisions,decisionsimage

• Options
    www.runliverpoolmarathon.co.uk
  • Options

http://www.runliverpoolmarathon.co.uk

for those who cant cut and paste and to avoid anyone of accusing Alan of plugging his races

• Options
    image Going to be a few races all at once in September to November so thinking Snowdonia might be a step to far. We shall see kiddo. Still trying to work out what tri stuff to do this year and there will be a really cool one in September in the lakes so might depend on the bank manager.
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    bigsmile, although Abingdon is very popular because it's a good flat, fast course for a pb, it certainly doesn't get my vote because the route is so boring and it's 2 loops of the same boring route! Plus, there's scant crowd support.

Liverpool, on the other hand is in a beautiful and iconic city and there will be fantastic crowd support. I'm sure someone would snap up your Abingdon place as it fills up so quickly and there's always a waiting list.

Come and join us in Liverpool instead image
  • Options
    Bigsmile did Abingdon last year for the first time and enjoyed it a lot but think Liverpool going to be special. Abingdon isn’t that scenic although did enjoy seeing that many red kites in one place.
  • Options

Just had a quick scan back.

I would suggest if you can comfortably, comfortably being the key word , run a Half marathon now than with the correct training you will be able to comfortably run a Full marathon in October.

The best bit of advice I have been given in relation to training is "run your fast runs fast and your slow runs VERY slow".  The slow run is about building both the body and mind up to be able to cope with the distance and the time on your feet. It is not about tiring yourself so much on Sunday that you have not recovered fully for your next training run.

• Options
    Faz - running for a charity is an excellent idea to keep you focussed and committed to your running. I was on my taper for the Brighton Marathon with 26 weeks of Marathon training and a long run of 21 miles under my belt before this injury to my foot happened last week. I can honestly say that the only thing that kept me going throughout all that training was the knowledge that I was running for a worthy cause and that I had amassed sponsor money from friends and family on my fundraising page!

Luckily the charity Scope will carry the money over to the Liverpool Marathon so I can carry on fundraising. On crutches at the mo but I will return!

Redhead - keep an eye on that knee. You've done the hard bit now.
  • Options
    image Bigsmile if you are feeling suacy you could always do both? How much experiance do you have at 26 miles?
  • Options

There was a bit of talk in the HM thread about the UKA licensing, which reminded me of a question I have about October's run!

I recall reading somewhere (small print on the marathon website, perhaps?) that as the marathon is UKA licensed, earphones are not allowed to be worn during the race.  Alan, can you confirm if this is accurate?  Will we be disqualified from the run if we're wearing an iPod?