Options

how many of you got dq for wearing ipods at races

Comments

• Options

Did we take part in the same race on Sunday? Fantastic support throughout no need for an ipod.  It stated no ipods in the instructions that were sent weeks before and I saw a sign too.

I got a PB too, and thanks to all the disqualified runners my place went up so I'm pretty happy lol image

• Options

Moraghan - personally don't think there's a huge amount of use from real-time pacing information. I'd never look at the real-time function during a race as it's nowhere near accurate enough (recovery runs at 3:5x miling for instance...) and think it'd be more of a hinderance than a help.

Garmins of course are useful for a number of reasons during the run (splits, HR info and as a rough idea of distance covered without markers) and more so afterwards (analysis) but the current pace function is something that I'd never trust (especially having tried it in a couple of tempo runs and found myself sprinting to run the same pace I'd been jogging a mile ago and then back to jogging....)

Ipods in races - absolutely no need if you seriously want your best time rather than just to plod around. If you just want to plod around then why are you in a race?

• Options

I think we have to give a small amount of benefit of the doubt to Sian, she may well have missed it (no iPod instruction), and has gone on to admit that she won't again for races, and she's let us in on the fact that some races are clamping down

Live and let live? Don't think she will be doing it again image

• Options

Yep,  won't b making the same mistake twice i can tell you!

• Options

I am trying not to get wound up by the mentioning of the deaf again on this issue.  Ipods is one thing being deaf another.  Some of us being deaf are more considerate as well are aware of the H&S issue whereby I wear a top with "deaf - not ignoring you" on the back.  Gets around the whole issue.

Also those who have to run to music need to get a life.  Fancy running in pure silence?  try doing that for a marathon.

• Options
    JWrunJWrun ✭✭✭
    Hobbling Harrier wrote (see)

Ipods in races - absolutely no need if you seriously want your best time rather than just to plod around. If you just want to plod around then why are you in a race?

Another excellent generalisation, I got a PB on sunday, with my ipod in, also got a PB 3 weeks ago on a 12K without one, i'd say i seriously wanted my best time both races and I got it, sod all to do with my ipod, more to do with training 6 days a week i reckon!
  • Options
    musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭

DISQUALIFICATIONS:

Runner numbers 273 and 442 disqualified for rule infringement - running with "earphones"

from the Gloucester 20 race on the 13th March

• Options
    JWrun wrote (see)
    Hobbling Harrier wrote (see)

Another excellent generalisation, I got a PB on sunday, with my ipod in, also got a PB 3 weeks ago on a 12K without one, i'd say i seriously wanted my best time both races and I got it, sod all to do with my ipod, more to do with training 6 days a week i reckon!

But have you tried running without one? Just maybe your times would be even better.

The whole ipod debate has been covered ad nauseum on these threads, the majority think they should be banned in races, period.

• Options

Running naked is not such a bad idea as it will stop people discreetly hiding their ipods under their shirt sleeves for instance.

Back to the topic.  Good.  I have been in too many races where the ipod wearers are totally oblivious to those around them.  Rules are rules and runners who complain they are banned should find races that specifically allow headphones.

• Options
    JWrunJWrun ✭✭✭

Says in my post there i got a PB in a 12K without one. I actually won that race.

The PB on sunday was a 1.44 and that is the quickest i have ever ever run a half, without an ipod, with an ipod, just repeating myself here but i don't think its got anything to do with the ipod in my case at least - i hardly think Elbow is really the most driving music as lovely as it is. It was pure hard work and determination - perhaps that a good point, perhaps people with ipods who say they can't run without one are just using it as an excuse??

• Options
    What's the big deal about a DQ for wearing headphones anyway? I wouldn't give a crap if I was DQ'd - I still ran the race in the same time. The medal doesn't mean much to me anyway. Nor does the goodybag or the tshirt.
  • Options
    Why enter a race at all then Intermanaut?
  • Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Luke Ellis 2 wrote (see)

Seems a bit harsh to be DQing without much warning although spose it is the only way to stop it.  

how much warning do they need?

i wasn't there but it appears it was in the rules, announced everywhere and people were warned.

no great surprise that some iPod wearers either ignored or were oblivious to all this.

• Options

At a race couple of years ago I was chief marshal the race referee asked "if there was rule agianst ipods"

I said "no but we ask people not to wear them"

He said "good I didnt want to pull anyone off"

• Options
    @Dips - why enter a race at all? To run against, not with - against, others.

The whole iPod/anti-iPod argument is bollocks. It's old ground and all it does is bring out mass stupidity and unproven "facts" from the same tools who whine on about the subject being brought up again and again, who still manage to propagate the threads the pop-up.

I've read most of this thread and there's a lot of utter shite mentioned here. Safety issue, by arse. iPods don't put sensible people at risk - idiots put people at risk, iPod or not.

Other MP3-players are available.
  • Options
    sorry but if you where not there then how can you say about warnings etc.  Yes like i have said lots of times it was on page 2 or 3 in the rules which i over looked, i have just spoken to a few spectators that where there & they even said they didn't see any signs up re the wearing of ipods. And had i have seen the signs then i would have complied with the no ipod ruling, and from now on will read the rules back to front!
  • Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Intermanaut wrote (see)
    iPods don't put sensible people at risk

because they aren't wearing iPods?

i love the way it always becomes a discussion about the sensible iPod wearers, you know the ones that don't listen to music at any reasonable level or only wear the earphone in one ear, whose hearing is not affected at all, are always perfectly considerate to other runners etc .

• Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

I thinking being able to hear others one thing but I think looking out for others is much more important.

I've lost count of the amount of times people have cut in front of me when approaching a water station, simply because they didn't look to see if they were crossing anyone's path. Or they've just decided to stop dead in front of me to wait for their friend, never bothering to look around & see if anyone is approaching.

I agree with Intermanaut, if someone is going to be an idiot, they're gonna be an idiot - iPod or not.

With the increasing amount of electric cars on the road, we're all gonna be screwed before long.

• Options
    @skotty - that's exactly my point. Your view is entirely distorted. I just know you're sitting there with a smug grin on your face.

Do you drive a car? Windows open or closed? Radio on? Ever crashed? I drive. Windows closed. Radio on - usally on loud. I've never crashed, never been involved in a crash, and have never obstructed emergency vehicles. I drive sensibly.

Do you ski or snowboard? MP3 player on? Ever collided with someone on the piste? I ski. With iPod on. Never collided with anyone or caused an accident. I've seen the odd collision between people not wearing iPods, though.

Your argument is weak. Cease, or provide evidence. For the record, "evidence" isn't "I saw this bloke" or "I couldn't get past this girl who was wearing an MP3 player". Real evidence, please. Or be quiet.
  • Options

Intermanaut ...still don't see the point of paying to enter something you are not recorded as finishing? Surely the result is part of the race..the official result that is, not the one you might have logged on your watch/garmin/tape recorder.

For the record...I don't get this whole ipod dependency.

• Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭

my evidence for what?

when it comes to iPod debate I only say that people listening to music can't hear what is going on around them as well as those not using ipods and wearing headphones. disprove that.

PS listening to music on a car radio isn't the same as listening to music on headphones while driving.  

• Options
    Just to be clear - if the rules state you can't, then don't unless you can accept the DQ and lack of medal.
  • Options
    @skotty - I can easily disprove your claim that people listening to music can't hear what's going on around them. I wear my iPod when running and can hear the music and what's going on around me.

Listening to music on a car radio is *exactly* the same as listening to music on headphones. It's the *volume* of the music that determines what you can hear around you, *not* how it's delivered.

@Dips - as I said, running against people. Having my name on a list isn't important to me. Tailing the hot red-head in Lycra might be, though.
  • Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Intermanaut wrote (see)
    @skotty - I can easily disprove your claim that people listening to music can't hear what's going on around them. I wear my iPod when running and can hear the music and what's going on around me..

not what i said.

Intermanaut wrote (see)
    @skotty - Listening to music on a car radio is *exactly* the same as listening to music on headphones. It's the *volume* of the music that determines what you can hear around you, *not* how it's delivered.

wrong again.

• Options

Not sure why people need to have such hard line opinions one way or the other. 

Mostly i don't think of "races" as races, i think of them as events.

In a race you try to win right? I'm not likely to get near the front of a race anytime soon. Should i just not bother entering then? Or, another thought, if us tail enders/joggers/whatever label you fancy didn't enter so many events/races they wouldn't exist as they do now.

I run, ride a bike, a motorbike, and drive. Inconsiderate people are everywhere, footpaths, roads, races, work etc etc and the thing i like about running/jogging is the collegiate atmosphere, combined with the personal achievements we can all aim at.

Surely it's better that people run with music, than sit at home getting fat and ill and contributing to an inrceasingly more and more unhealthy society?

• Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    David Lewis 77 - 2011miles.com wrote (see)

Surely it's better that people run with music, than sit at home getting fat and ill and contributing to an inrceasingly more and more unhealthy society?

no-one is preventing anyone from running with music.
  • Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Luke Ellis 2 wrote (see)

Seems a bit harsh to be DQing without much warning although spose it is the only way to stop it.  

There was plenty of warning - it was in the paperwork sent out, and I saw large signs around the HQ. 

I don't have a problem with people using music - I really don't think it makes them any less aware than stupid people who just don't pay attention!

• Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Wilkie wrote (see)

I don't have a problem with people using music - I really don't think it makes them any less aware than stupid people who just don't pay attention!

although stupid people not paying attention will be more likely to hear you shouting at them.
  • Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭

You only have to watch how many people run into or nearly run into bollards where race organisers have stationed a marshall to warn them of the bollard to realise how safe/unsafe iPods are.

I suppose it depends if you are racing for a club or not as to whether you are bothered about your place or a dq.

• Options
    @skotty - I concede I mis-read your first point re. hearing as well as people around them. However, the validity of your claim is questionable at best.

As for sound in a car - I'm dead right. If I have my headphones on at 20dB I can hear more than you can with your car stereo on at 60dB. QED.