Options

Enduroman 1st - 10th June 2012

Comments

• Options
    Holly, I heard about that, is there any way of preventing it, it's tick bites isn't it or other insects as well?
  • Options
    Not sure about prevention but having a tick removal tool in the first aid kit is helpful, assuming of course you know it's a tick that's in there. We had one but I didn't know Holly had been attacked unfortunately.
  • Options

Blimey Symes - that was a bit of forward planning. Were you all warned about ticks or are you just super-organised?

Can't do 24th sadly, but if anyone else ever wants to come down and do a recce on another day, I'd always try to come along.

• Options
    Is there any way that two people with a baby can do different events on different days e.g. one person do a triple and the other the 100 miler?
  • Options

not possible as they time it so that everyone finishes on the Sunday.................

last year they were letting a few guys do a single mid week but that was because they were already set up for the single with the deca and the guys had marshalled and were having a free entry..............

you need to find yourself a enduroman Nanny for the weekend

• Options
    I don't think Holly even knew that she'd been bitten at all until she started to swell up, change colour, and fall apart?
  • Options

been looking at Manchester Marathon today as a warm up for the double

29th April 2012 6 weeks before, perfect timing

• Options
    so has anyone any idea how I'm supposed to train for this double malarky ???

all advice welcome image
  • Options
    would love to do the Manchester marathon image its my home town
  • Options
    purpletrilady wrote (see)
    so has anyone any idea how I'm supposed to train for this double malarky ???

all advice welcome image

Been wondering that myself.

Lots of training plans online for single Ironman but none for double.

Do you just take a single ironman trianing plan and double each session?

I have set myself some goals to be able to acheive, hopefully to give the confidence to keep training through the winter

I have a half mara in 2 weeks

1 100 mile ride before end of October

200 lenghts of the pool before end of year

• Options
    purpletrilady wrote (see)
    would love to do the Manchester marathon image its my home town

You can at ours if you want

• Options

purple.......i already had a few ultras booked up...............47 miler November , 50 miler March  and then a jog around VLM...........I will do most of my long runs offroad as that is the terrain at AT............

I will also do my long runs the afternoon after a morning bike or my long runs the day after nthe long bike so that they are done slowly on tired legs......distnace won't be important for me..............just time on my feet........

the swim will have to be as much OW as possible .depemndent on how cold the river gets through the winter swim as I hate swimming in a pool........so no long swim sessions in the pool for me............

biking is where I imtend to invest in some time with some long slow rides and also some night rides........I am looking at different places 80/100 miles from home so that I can cycle there one day and cycle back the  next........

also looking at a 11 mile loop  from home and practise a few loops.....stopping every couple of laps for soup / sandwiches or refill bottle etc....so wet/ windy this year at AT it was impossible to at whilst riding

lookingh for some more ideas on how to get some bike work done over the winter........I have already decided at easter I will cylce to my holiday and backimage

• Options
    Pretty much as kk said for mine too although I did do a little more in the pool as that was where I was most likely going to fail, got to about 3/4 distance at a maximum I think.

Biking I did a few century rides, the longest being 130.

Running, an off road ultra about 2 months before and then nothing over 15 miles between then and the race.

I would suggest doing a few miles at night on unlit roads for the bike though.

Certainly don't aim to feed as you would a shorter event with gels and the like, real food is the way to deal with this distance really.

IMHO it was no more difficult a race than a single IM
  • Options
    Question for my learned colleagues. The double IM, do you need a support crew, or is it possible to self feed etc. Just looking at the possible logistics of this, and I think my wife would tell me where to go if I asked her to spend 36 hours feeding and watering me from a tent
  • Options
    i think they might be insisting on a support crew  of at east one this year..........I hadn't planned one for the single last year but so glad some pirates turned up and gave me one.............its a strange one without one.......espically difficult on the bike as you would have to dismount and go through your box of things to find the stuff.........and you would not get anything hot which i think is a must ..........
  • Options
    Got feelers out about the race, but can't commit at the mo'. A friend has signed up for the 100 mile ultra, so might be able to piggy back with his support.
  • Options
    it would be great if you didimage
  • Options
    Seren I think the only ones that support crew are definitely required are the 5 and 10, others are advised to but that's all.
  • Options

right must have misread that one...........I still think the bike would be hard without one................swim and run i think you could manage okimage

• Options
    Few longer swims in the river would be needed though!
  • Options

I guess most people are doing it with an IM under their belt this year or last. My last IM was 2009 but am still gonna give this a shot. And I have no epic events planned this year. My focus is to increase fitness consistently and injury free (struggling with achilles at mo).

The run is what concerns me!image

• Options
    Definitely make sure your achilles is all sorted, it's not a pleasant run course for injured ones image
  • Options
    yip icing it every night and doing stretches, it's being 'managed!'image
  • Options

As the pirate support is legendary, can we not get a group together to crew for lot of us?

I already have 2 volunteers IronMin and Flat Footed

• Options

AL I took off 4 months from sept 2008 to Jan 2009 whilst i sorted out my achillies............no biking or running for most of that.....just exercises for the achillies and to strength glutes.............

I then started cycling and walking to follow my OM training plan...........all came together in the end...............hope your achillies is on the mend.......have you discovered the cause of it yet....

• Options
    5 weeks of rest and icing worked for me, must avoid rabbit holes when running in the dark in future...
  • Options
    The Silent Assassin wrote (see)

As the pirate support is legendary, can we not get a group together to crew for lot of us?

I already have 2 volunteers IronMin and Flat Footed

More than happy to sherpa for anyone that needs me!

Just out of interest can you have a "pacer" for the runs? more a sort of moral support for a few of the lonelier laps in the middle of the night???