Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Might be joining the pack with DV et al, or failing that, TD et al.

Walking to our mailbox last night got this suddenly intense pain in my left ankle, making walking difficult. During the night is seemed to go away, and walking was only slightly painful (you men over 40 or so know the night walk) but this morning it was very painful again. 

Cannot imagine what it is.   Obviuosly going to skip today's easy short run, and re-evaluate tomorrow's LSR. I am dreading the thought of a month off before Paris, but if that's what it means, so be it.

• Options
    Hello my new forum buddy's!

I'm typing this message from bed... I don't think ill be leaving bed until my boyfriend physically drags me out for the rugby later.

I did my 22 miles yesterday and several things happened to me:

Mile 3: A big horrible man barged into me and clean sliced my headphones in two rendering them useless... And my music and pace coach thingy out of action

Mile 10: having never ever carried water with me before, I had finished my donut bottle thingy full of Robinsons (am I drinking out of boredom?)

Mile 13: I run into a convieniently situated Maplin and spent ridiculous money and a spur of the moment emergency set if earphones

Mile 14: battery runs out, no map or music or pace setter thingy or need for brand new silly expensive headphones

Mile 15: Wierd phenomenon of not knowing whether I'm still running or actually walking... thank god a person appears and I can confirm I am still running (just). Time to try the GU for the first time.

Mile 17: pop into a shop to refill my donut bottle thing (wish it was an actual donut).. Have another GU thing

Mile 19: I actually cried a little bit... Also then mis-read Big Ben and thought I was an hour later than my goal - but at least that meant the weeping stopped as I got closer and realised I was actually on pace!!

Mile 22: In state of disbelief!

Back in changing room at work - realise I have no towel so dry myself with t-shirt, wonderful. Then stagger home like an invalid, ridiculously slow John Wayne style walking and along with inability to get up and down the stairs between tube stops.

Just thought I'd share that, hoping I'm not alone in such experiences - only 21 days to go now!

Thanks for all the GU tips, it did help and drinking all the water tip meant I wasn't sick!

Where is the pub meet up after? Hope everyone else's final big runs are going well?
  • Options

Well done Sally - an eventful run!

Dannirr - hope it clears up quickly . I have been getting all sorts of pains, mainly round the heel and ankle area, but they seem to go away when I am running. Rest up.

• Options

ooo...   take it easy there Dannirr....   too close now to risk it....

Sally..  that's a great review...   Gu gels are very easy to digest...   take one before you start and then at 45 minute intervals...   alternatively..    start with them at 13 miles and then one every 45 mins to the end...   remember to drink regularly..   you'll be fine..   there will be lots of us there to help you long...

Maus...  you are welcome to join us...  my plan is just to have some fun...  we'll still go round in under 5 hours, so you can join in too...  

That goes for anyone else too...   if your plans get shelved on the day, no worries...    we'll pick you up on the way round...  image

• Options
    BeddersBedders ✭✭✭

Good LSRs from everyone so far this weekend, good work!

Last long run in the bag for me and now it's TAPER TIME! HURRAH!

Aimed to be out of the door for 7am, my Garmin tells me (after uploading once I got back home) that I set off at 6.59.43am, oh how I love timekeeping!

Really pleased with things this morning, managed 37K (23 miles) in 2:55:55, pretty much an even pace for the first half but a big negative-split for the second (if you can even have a negative split in a training run?!?!?), and even managed a 'glory' final kilometer in 3:50.

I just had a little water before I left as I hate having to stop for a wee every ten minutes and practiced my race nutrition almost down to a tee; a 'Shot Blox' chow every 4K up to 32K, but without any water to wash them down (don't like carrying water and I forgot to take a quid with me to nip into a shop). They seem to agree with me quite well and hopefully more so in Paris when I'm taking in water at the stations with them too.

Got home, stretched out for fifth teen minutes (have got into the habit of doing this, and more so with just weeks to go), then nailed the biggest fruit/protein/spinach smoothie you've ever seen, lovely!

Currently sitting on my backside, icing my legs whilst watching Soccer Saturday, and don't intend to move until 2pm when I head out to watch the footie this afternoon. Just loving the thought of no more 65-mile weeks for the immediate future!

• Options

Running Rodent wrote (see)
    Simon - add chocolate buttons. It helps even more.

Glad to hear it's not just me YM. I'm very dubious about the 3 x 1,600m in the week before the race as well. Can anyone who's done P&D before reassure me that my legs aren't going to be dead on race day?

Trust the plan RR.  I did it last year and it was fine.  It's only 3 miles and it'll make you feel good - nice and peppy.

• Options
    Well done Sally and Bedders, sally those GUs are serving me quite nicely, will have two on the belt and an Energy boost as well, just for a bit of variety, plus 3 SIS isotonics.

Dannir. Get ice on the ankle dude and rest it. Even a week out of training from now will not harm your expectations too much.
  • Options

Dannir - I know the night walk very well imageimage

Sally - nicely done.  TLC your legs a bit for a day or so - sounds like they're a bit battered.

Following latest physio trip I'm going to start running again in a week... 4 x 5 minutes.  If all goes well I'll be doing 2 x 20 minutes in 2 weeks and running for an hour another week or so after that. 

I'll be really glad of having the routine/structure back.

In the meantime I have a daily diet of:

• Plantar fascia release with golf ball
    • Using quadballer on calf
    • Stretching calf and hip flexors
    • Getting tennis ball rolling into TFL (hip)
    • Using double tennis ball release of lumbar spine
    • Fast foot roll through drills
    • Eccentric calf strengthening
    • Exercise bike
  • Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Well done Bedders. Sounds you're in great form. Now relax and let taper madness set in.

Sally, the Marathon is Sunday 7th April at 8:45 French time, in Paris. Just saying, as it sounds as if you're as eventful as me. We can swap stories in the bar, if we both find it.

Dannirr, look after yourself.
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Ooooooooooft.  That is all.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Sally- congratulations on overcoming adversity. Epic. Did you take 2 gels in 2 miles? Might be a bit much. Follow DVs advise. I used to take GU but they became a bit too chewy in colder weather. I'm now on shotbloks - go figure image

Dannir. Fingers crossed you've just been hit by the pre Tapir. You know how to treat it.

DLR - wow, what a regime.
  • Options
    21 miles this morning DONE ! Allowing myself a beer or 2 this evening
  • Options
    Orbs, just watched ur vid again. No filthy language this time but its very emotional. TD's reaction at his PB is great, Seb Coe-esque! The two girls in tutus at the end hugging after they cross the line, gut wrenching stuff. It's people running 4 hours plus, death marching in the later miles where you see the real struggle of the marathon. Always chokes me up when I watch London. Inspirational stuff
  • Options
    Dave, well done. I also did 21M this morning. Comparing to Sally's run, mine was fairly boring. I am planning to go swimming with the club this afternoon. Hopefully, it will help with the recovery.
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Can read. Can't think. Joined-up words, later. Last LSR...with added' S'..Let's hope the ' bad rehearsal, good performance' thing is true or I'm .....

Well done , you lot image

Sally, if you activate the ' message me' facility on your forum page, I'll send you stuff.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Sally, the forum is still eating my messages. Can you email me at   atmparis75  at  yahoo  dot  com ?

• Options
    Blimey, a whole herd of tapirs in here image . Only 4 miles for me this morning, with concrete legs.

DLR - thanks, that was was I wanted to hear. Well impressed with your physio routine as well, sounds like a full time job.

Simon - I blame my perverse porridge habits on my English granny. My parents agree with you, and flinch when I mention sugar.

Sally - sounds like one of those runs so awful that you just have to laugh - well done for getting through it in one piece. From the description of your route I guess you're in central London - if you're interested, Jimbob and I are doing a 10 mile run on the morning of Good Friday. You'd be very welcome to join us. We'll all be going nuts by that stage, so it's good to share the stress. And if you ask nicely Jimbob might buy you a beer image . Message either of us through the forum if you're interested.

DV - good luck tomorrow - let the campaign commence image
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Jimbob may not still be alive by good Friday - not if he keeps sullying my facbook with comments about Ingerland and "Football"....image

• Options
    Good luck ATM!

Loved the post on your long run Sally, it made me laugh out loud! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who gets a bit emotional as the miles clock up. I've been known to get teary about things that have not and will not ever happen!

Did someone say that Easter was still 2 weeks away? That can't possibly be true. I've already eaten my own weight in mini eggs. If there's another two weeks to go there'll be an obesity crisis in this house.

I'm having a lazy day today. After my 3 days of glorious skiing my body is knacked and I have matching fist sized bruises on my calves from on of my more spectacular falls.

Good luck to everyone running last long long runs today or tomorrow.
  • Options
    Bad jimbob

Just finished my last LSR , never been so cold before , I was fine for the first two and a half hours , then coldness crept in , I had to stop for a bovril at mile 18 to heat me up ( wanted a coffee , but there was no way I could have added milk or sugar ) and , took twenty mins in a shower to feel normal again

How's the weather forecast for 7 April in Paris , anything above freezing will do for me
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Jimbob - I know exactly what you mean. Tricky's reaction is brilliant but have a look at the original video, with sound, here. It may take a while to load but not only do you see Tricky's reaction you can hear his bellow of delight. Fabulous.

The two pink fairys get me very time. They actually appear on the Paris website too in one of the photos from the Start here.

• Options
    Now now YerMaj, no fighting talk. Best let the teams battle it out on the pitch.

Sally, of course come n run, I've got a couple of friends doing Paris but they are too shy shy to come on here. Gonna drag them out I hope.

(Swing Lowwwwww, Sweet Chariot, coming for to carry me home)
  • Options
    My mum was born in Llanelli so I know who I'll be supporting...
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

image 'Feelin' better.

Well done on all those LSRs!  Won't we feel smug, tomorrow morning...Good luck to those heading out, Sunday.

I love the pink fairies, O. *I've seen a few ' bride and bridesmaids' in white/pink tutus and veils having a Hen Race over 10k but I suppose it would be a big ask to get your mates to run a mara' instead of going to Ibiza for the weekend...* Would a tutu be too OTT, TD? DV and Dave, tell me that your wardrobes of Pirate gear include a yellow tutu...

I'm going to spend the afternoon with my  OS maps..I think the last few runs have got to be scenic...Holy Saturday outing with Eggy 'n' Audrey, along a canal, to a chip shop already booked. Class.

Jus T, if you're coming in from the airport of the RER, the ones at Gare du Nord might be the most convenient. You can stay underground and get a couple of metros to the Expo , to while away the hours, or get back on the RER+ tram.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Kaz - Wow, 20 miles home and showered before 8;30am! Great going.

Simon - Normally I'm a salt man, but I have devised Elvis porridge for my long runs and it seems to work for me. Good luck for tomorrow.

Well 22 mile LSR done and dusted for me now at 10:17 m/m pace. Went with my shotblock/sis gel combo that I use in marathons and I felt much stronger in the later miles than I have recently on long runs. My pace was far more consistent too with no fade towards the end. I did get some discomfort from the injury, but nothing as bad as it has been on some other runs. If I include last weekends half at Loch Katrine that's 57 miles for me in the last 7 days. Today was a good confidence boost ahead of Paris.

Let the taper commence. image

• Options

Eggy - fab recovery after injury dude.

Dannirr - I feel your pain, sorry to hear, hope it settles quickly and take it easy tomorrow. What is this night walk you speak of...?!

ATM - glad you've got your mojo back.

Orbutt - thanks for posting 22, I still can't do the picture uploads. Good luck tomorrow.

Jimbob - in the last miles of a race, half or full, the last thing I want to smell is a beer! Although the alcohol free pint at the end of Berlin always goes down well. Eventually. Good luck tomorrow too.

Simon - I make no bones about wanting to eat porridge like a Scotsman - I'm Irish, and have a sweet tooth!

Kaz - you're a machine. RR - you are too!

RS - good luck with those miles tomorrow. Another Lazarus-like recovery.

32k done, horribly, this morning. Did the Whitley Bay parkrun to warm up, right Achilles/gastrocnemius pain and had to slow at 4k. Twinged at the Half on Sunday, really went today. OO's advice was not to do LSR - but being the twit I am I thought I'd jog on and test it.

It was painful mostly all the way but frankly I needed the miles. I am now limping and can't dorsiflex my right foot - I think that's it. I'm overweight, badly trained and injured again. DV - I'm with you at the back!

• Options
    Iain, get some moisturiser and gently massage ur dodgy Achilles 3 or 4 times a day. Put ice on it. Take 10 days off running and he careful with ur walking. Do some hamstring stretches a few times a day. Try to stretch all the hampstring, by doing good toes and naughty toes during the stretch, you ballerinas will know what I'm talking about (I have two little girls, they are into ballet, I'm not!) Been there with the Achilles. If I were you, after having ten days off, I wouldn't run for more than about 30 mins per session, and just wing it with DV on the day. Do the cheese and wine and gay cheerleader dance thing!
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    I looked at the video Orbutt and I thought tricky was annoyed!

I was due to run 7/10 miles today but my hip started playing up and limped home in 4.5 miles image I'm reevaluating tomorrows run and need to stretch some more

@DV - I'll be letting a few people know the river conditions in mid week so you can plan a shoe choice. Currently it's really muddy
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Iain - Take care with that. Hopefully it'll clear up over the next few weeks.

Dannirr - Same with you, really hope it clears quickly. Look on the plus isde day one of the taper last year I broke a toe and end up fine for the day. Rest up if you need it. the miles are already in the legs.

Sally - Brilliant run report. Although I'm still trying to figure out what the collision between you and the guy was like to manage to wreck a pair of headphones!

• Options
    Good run Eg, you've really pulled the training out the bag! Hi five!