Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Rick - I'm not experienced by any stretch, but the 18 for you sounds okay I'd say. Mrs Rick adding an extra three miles each week isn't ideal because of the risk of injury, but as long as she takes care, especially if there's any hills on the route, she should be okay.

Kaz - glad you escaped. Bet you were relieved when you got in touch with the manager.

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Thanks for the encouragment all - I'm going to go out for my LST tomorrow morning but anything uncomfortable in the foot and I'll bag it. Even if it makes me look wimpish in front of the crowds image  

Iain - the night walk?  You are too young to know it personally, and professionally you are working a little higher up in the GU tract....however, BPH gets us males all in the end image

ALL - an appeal.  Without being specific as to the details,  I need you all to send massive encouragement and persuasive thoughts to DV. He'll understand.

• Options
    James R. I agree with OO. just see Newhart can be done tmrw and on race day go with the flow.

Emmy, I wasn't angry in that vid. I'd had a 7 week taper thanks to being ill and DNF'ing in Rome, so Paris was my fallback race. I'd been aiming for a 2h50 mara last year ans set my new target for Paris at 2h55. I came across the line with 12 seconds to spare but I suffered a fair bit to make it. That was a shout of relief!

Sally. Lovely story. Yes long runs feel like that. Managing energy input is really important. Your head goes screwy when you run low on blood sugar. The brain is proportionally the biggest user of blood sugar in the body, so when your muscles use it all up you do start to go a bit doolally image

Iain. Look up eccentric stretching for your Achiiles and also make sure you haven been doing Soleus stretches too. Strongly advise you have a very easy week. Maybe no running at all. Get your bicycle out for cardio instead.

I won prize money today for the first time in my life. Our Ekiden marathon team came 8th overall and was the 2nd company team to finish, out of about 360 teams. Got a podium and a trophy! Was super windy. Did my 5k somewhere just below 19mins. My HR was 93-95% most of the way round so effort was good. But proper fast speeds are going to take a while to come back I guess. Have my happy face on, happy but tired. Good running tmrw friends image
  • Options
    Dannirr wrote (see)

ALL - an appeal.  Without being specific as to the details,  I need you all to send massive encouragement and persuasive thoughts to DV. He'll understand.

Of course. DV - whatever it is, I hope it works out right.

ATM - that link works image

TD - congrats. Drinks on you then

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Jings, Dan! It's hard to imagine running in those temperatures. Sleet suddenly appeals. Good luck, tomorrow.

Onetit and Tartan',you are not to crow too loudly.You'll just upset the neighbours image * 20:16. not to France.*

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Weedy, do you see it as a clickable link?  I have to copy and paste the full url.. My 'post' front is tiny and very faint and I can't send or receive messages through the forum. Is there anything I can do or is it the site? i'm using Firefox and Waterfox.

• Options

Super frustrating first session of pilates with new instructor here . Turns out I've been doing it wrong for 2 years...was nearly in tears at the frustration image and also anger. It was not a cheap exercise doing all those classes back in Australia and I thought I was really getting OK at it. Makes me want to give it away all together.

DV: Thinking of you and hoping everything in DV-land is OK.

And thanks for the kind offer of honorary membership of the injury-bench pack. I'm not quite sure I will add to the festivities, though. Coming in under 5 hours would be a PB for me and one which I think is highly unlikely.

Kaz: As usual, you're an inspiration.

Danni: Hang in there - I'm sure it'll just be a taper niggle.

TD: Perhaps you needed a pair of these today:

http://myshreddies.com - just saw them advertised in a magazine with the slogan "Fart with confidence". Tried to post a photo but forum still broken!image   Yer Maj: You posted a link a few pages back about your running posture changes. Sorry to be a pain, but would you be kind enough to re-post? I can't seem to find it now.
  • Options
    Oh fxxk I'm crying at Casualty!
  • Options

ATM - had to copy and paste it. I've seen a few posts from people saying they can't send or receive messages. Not sure what the problem is or how long it'll take to fix, but it seems to be connected to the pictures problem and the small text

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

More info re: my appeal.   DV is fine. He just has a decision to make and I need him pursuaded to make it in the direction I think best!

• Options
    Big up Big up DV, you are a legend mate, SLAM DUNC!
  • Options
    Dannirr - what dreadful things are you trying to talk DV intoimage ?

MM - there are lots of ways of doing Pilates, varying from the 'whale music and incense' approach to the 'they're athletes, make them suffer' approach. It's not necessarily that you've been doing it 'wrong', it may be that your new teacher just has a different style.

Early night for me - going to try and do my LSR tomorrow as a race rehearsal, starting at the right time, so I'll be porridging early in the morning.
  • Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

DV good luck resisting the Dannir pull of the way he wants it...if you want to resist...hope you get the right result out of your decision.

forgot to say...got my med cert yesterday.  Thought doc was taking if VERY sriously compared to previous ones.  He was on the crew that had to deal with the lady who died in last year's london marathon. image  On the plus side he checked my oxygen levels and they're tip top.

• Options
    Running Rodent wrote (see)
    Dannirr - what dreadful things are you trying to talk DV intoimage ?

MM - there are lots of ways of doing Pilates, varying from the 'whale music and incense' approach to the 'they're athletes, make them suffer' approach. It's not necessarily that you've been doing it 'wrong', it may be that your new teacher just has a different style.

Early night for me - going to try and do my LSR tomorrow as a race rehearsal, starting at the right time, so I'll be porridging early in the morning.

Thanks RR, but I'm not engaging the lower stomach muscles properly and I've never been taught certain muscle contractions in my thoracic spine area. There were always a few exercise I could never get right and I'm actually not surprised by her comments. I'd tried and tried to get clarification from the instructor but it never seemed to work. And I'd always been suspicious because I can see muscle definition in my upper abs/obliques, but lower abs are always paunchy. image

• Options

yeah - i'm off to bed now , up at 6 for porridge, leaving the house at 7 to get out to Reading for the race.

night lovelies

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    ATM - I can still post proper links using my laptop, the old fashioned way.

What are you doing differently?

DV - you are a smart and beautiful woman and.... er, hang on, wrong speech.

Hope everything is well with you and sending warm and fuzzies.

Maus - flatulence filtration? Looks more like that person has crapped himself, or is that the front view?image

Overdid the carbo loading. Belly full of pasta. Very yummy but too much.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I won nothing at your age either Tricky- but if you stick around till your a vet the odds improve image

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping to get a GFA for London once I hit 49.... image

Good luck tomorrow JB...and all the remaining LSRers

Dan I like the stealth manipulation of DV. Good luck with that...
  • Options
    DV - I'm sure Dannirr has your best interests at heartimage
  • Options
    TD - thanks for advice, as ever.
  • Options
    OO - thanks for advice. I'll follow it this time! Good to meet you again too, (sorry to have interrupted.) And brilliant time btw!
  • Options
    Hope all the long runs go well today guys. I did 22 miles yesterday and was planning another 22 next weekend. Is that too much too soon before the big day?
  • Options
    Thanks for the train station locker advice guys, sounds like we'll be safe at Gare du Nord

Did the final LSR this morning, was going for 35kms. 5kms my knee was feeling a bit tight and I shrugged it off as just a bit tight and cold, convincing myself to finish my 15kms to meet up with my running group for the next 20.

I know I was going slower than usual and much slower than the pack, and maybe 3 kms in a got a sharp twinge in my knee that made me stop and walk for a bit. Pushed back to a jog and going ok for a few more kms, albeit slower still, before another run-stopping twinge. I got to about 25kms, and was getting more twinsies and less comfortable run sections, so accosted some friendly dog walkers for their phone to call Mr T to come pick me up.

I'm so disappointed to not finish the 35kms, but I'd be even more disappointed to push it further and write myself off completely. I had a massage, and she said my quad's tight, itb tight, glute not doing its thing properly, and at least got me back walking. Then went to limp around the shops and had the same twinge as when out running. It's so sore and I'm so disappointed I could just about cry.

So, it's an afternoon on the couch with a heat bag and some anti-inflams and my fingers well and truely crossed that it gets better soon. image
  • Options
  • Options
    Looks good to me Jimbob image . Also porridged up here.

Jus T - that's a pain (literally) but it doesn't necessarily mean disaster. Sounds like you did the right thing by stopping when you did, and there's plenty of time to rest and sort it. But I'd go for an ice pack rather than a heat pack this afternoon, if you cn bear it, to reduce any inflammation.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    DV - sending you lots of encouraging thoughts.

Jimbob- good luck for today! That's one big brekkie!

I've been stretching and seeing how I feel. I've canned the 12 miler today and will see how I go.

Good luck to everyone racing today!
  • Options
    yer_maj wrote (see)
    I'm hoping to get a GFA for London once I hit 49.... image 

Big year's training ahead then?  image