Options

Runner's World 15-Mile Training Run, Richmond Park

18910111214»

Comments

• Options
    I think that you are right there M, I am 6'4" and over 15 stone, and he didn't come near me. Although, as i said before, the dirty look was there. I just eyeballed him back.
    If i had of known that he was doing that, i would have taken him out on my second lap! Would have given me something to look forward to!

So, we had a bloke who thought that Richmond park belonged to him, a woman on a bike who kept shouting "oh Jesus", and a bloke taking a tyre for a walk! This is NOT the kind of place i would like to be after dark! Full of nutters!!
  • Options
    Nutters!!!

I'll say.!!!

Did you that weird bunch of a 1000 or so runners going round and round!!!!
  • Options
    Glad everyone had a good run out with only a few interesting incidents.

I had been looking forward to doing my weekly long run with company. Unfortunately, this was one of my worst runs!!!

Late to start, due to turning up late and the queue for the toilets. Ran quickly at the beginning to catch up with the 9 minute milers (my race pace). My running buddy wanted to do 8.30mm's. I had agreed to run with him, so we ran on from the 9mm's. Mile 1 in 7:15mins. After completing half the first lap, my left calf, which had been playing up for 3 weeks, finally went and I had to pull up. It was a long limp across the park to find the car. A Long journey home and I was unable to walk when I got home. A miserable day!!

Moral of the story
    1) Be early and make sure you prepare properly. WARM UP with plenty of time spare.
    2) DO NOT get swept along by anyone else, keep to YOUR pace.

Anyone else have a bad morning???? Praying for a full recovery for the Reading 1/2 on Sunday, it will be touch and go!!!
  • Options
    PloddingP

"This is NOT the kind of place i would like to be after dark! Full of nutters!!"

I think most of the the nutters go when the park closes its gates to cars! just leaving the runners and the cyclist nutters!!

At 26.2 RRC, we run around the park in the dark quite a lot, it's really pleasant, you just have to watch out for the whisper of cycle tyres and rutting stags, that aside it's peaceful and the road is fairly smooth, you get a great view of all the lights around the edge.

So I recommend it, (but watch out for the railing by Ham Gate, it's painted white but is invisible at night - it's already got me and several others from my Club...)

Simon

• Options
    It is a good point - that some of us see the guy taking the tyre for walk, or the screaming woman cyclist as nutters.....but alot of people probably see us runners or cycclists as nutters too! Especially running 15 miles at 8am on a Sunday morning!
    And you certainly make it sound very inviting after dark.
  • Options
    We had one poor lady in our group who was sooooo looking forward to seeing the deer. We didn't see a single one. I think they are culling at the minute and the deer are all in hiding!!!!
  • Options
    There was one deer around, just across from the entrance to the car park.

He had a "what on earth are all these animals doing parking those hard metal boxes on wheels, at this time on a Sunday morning?" look on his face!

Anyway, it's not surprising the deer went missing in action, with 1000 joggers steaming round their garden!

By the way, how are JJ?
  • Options
    Saw plenty of deer in the middle of the park looking laughing at the crippled runner trying to walk !!!!!
  • Options
    Stop being paranoid! They were merely getting together and discussing what type of injury you had!!

And by the way, my left leg is definitely playing up today. It felt sore yesterday - realised it hurt when i got out of the car and almost clapsed in a heap on my driveway! Am seeing a physio this week and like you, i hope mine is better for the Reading on Sunday too!!!
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    They cull the deer in November. Good time of the year, as the gunshots sound like fireworks.
  • Options
    Thanks to the 10.5 pacer - never got to thank you.
    Nice bunch of people in the group.
    As for the idiots running into us - can't understand it - people are normally quite friendly in Richmond Park!
    Thanks again RW. Can you do this more often!
  • Options
    Twas a great run. Thanks to Nick and Roger for the GYR pacing. The furthest I'd run in the last 4 months was 10 miles and the 15 felt fine - aside from that last hill!

A negative split too - how fab is that.

Thanks again for the lift KK - sorry for the wild goose chase on the way home - whoops!

• Options
    I had a great run with the 10.30 group. Really good bunch. I've forgotten all the names (oxygen deprevation!). Agree about the p****er who barged through, think of the energy he was wasting!! Hate to meet him on the road.
    I can confirm my overall pace was 10.34 which is pretty good going. It was a little up and down but that compensated for the hills. Also my GPS gave 14.5 miles.
    Left you all for a pit stop at 11 miles so really struggled the last 3 ish trying to catch you up. See you next year. Good luck in the LFM. Thanks Runners World.
  • Options
    Hey Hainesy,
    Got the spelling just right..
    Thanks for the support, felt on a high after the race, then thought just have to do that for another 9 miles and then that's it.

See you at Reading.