Options

Sub 10:00...

Comments

• Options

Made it to my 10k as well. Never really threatened my aim of 34 minutes, but it was always a bit lofty! 34:41

• Options

Some quick times there despite not on top form for you!  

• Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭

Ive always been more interested in smashing (best) times than any (kona etc) qualifications. You can find (eaiser) qualifications/AGs, but you can never find a slower clock.  

Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Daz - true, you can never find a slower clock, but you can find a faster course. I'm more proud of my time at Nice this year than my Austria 2011 time, which was 21 mins quicker. Kona qualification is a fairly consistent standard across most races/AGs (maybe not GB AG qualificiation though....). I'm not sure there are any easier Kona qualifying races in Europe at least (I thought Nice was going to be but even that one got a lot tougher in 2013).

This is the sub-10 thread though, so it's all about times and therefore one of the key aspects is picking a fast course/conditions!

• Options

Nice seemed about 15 minutes faster than previous years this year for my age group... going from about 9:45 which would qualify for the previous few years down to 9:30 this year.

Not that I'm looking for next year or anything!

• Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭

I'd say C-Roth, C-Barcelona and IMA are as fast as you're going to get.  

I found the change in Roth waves has actually made it a bit more difficult as you're placed with similar abilities and find yourself fighting through the funnel towards the end.  You might only lose a few mins but it'll take more energy out of you for the rest of the race.  

At the end of the day it comes down to a fast bike course and a flat run (weather dependent).  I have done 4:46 at Roth on two occasions and I class myself as a runner.  If you can nail a 5:30 bike (good runner) or 5:00-5:15 weak runner then you're done.

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

GB - agree about Nice this year. I had checked previous years and 9:40 would have always qualified in my AG. On the day I did just under 9:30 but still had to rely on the rolldown! Similar to Austria in 2011, but I was nowhere near a spot that time even though I was much faster than every other year's qualifying times (needed 8:54 to qualify in my AG in 2011....).

Daz - I'm unofficially retired from IM, but if I do go back it will be to do Roth (and maybe Lanza). I've done the other 2 of the 3 fast ones you listed, and everyone says Roth is a great race as well as fast.

• Options
    Padams wrote (see)

if I do go back it will be to do Roth (and maybe Lanza). I've done the other 2 of the 3 fast ones you listed, and everyone says Roth is a great race as well as fast.

I did see they've got 200 places going up for sale very shortly... If I wasn't in for Outlaw next year I'd be signed up!

• Options

TheEngineer wrote (see)
    Padams wrote (see)

if I do go back it will be to do Roth (and maybe Lanza). I've done the other 2 of the 3 fast ones you listed, and everyone says Roth is a great race as well as fast.

I did see they've got 200 places going up for sale very shortly... If I wasn't in for Outlaw next year I'd be signed up!

If you were very very quick indeed!  Sold out in 40 seconds.

• Options

40 seconds?! That's nuts.

I managed 30 minutes on the aero bars on rollers.. got me thinking about bike fit. It was comfortable and I think my position is okay. Still I'm wondering would it be worth getting a fit done. It def wouldn't be retul.. too expensive. Some places do a fitting for about £40 that might be worthwhile.. anyone know of a cheap/free online alternative where you could submit a recording?

• Options

Very cool - I'll have a look around for an android version

EDIT: can't find one!

I might give this a go though..

http://blog.ubersense.com/2012/08/09/triathlon-bike-fit-introduction/

• Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭

Def worth getting a bike fit.  They should give you some decent feedback, something you can use in the future (although if you get a new bike you might want to have another bike fit)

• Options
    BKins wrote (see)

40 seconds?! That's nuts.

I managed 30 minutes on the aero bars on rollers.. got me thinking about bike fit. It was comfortable and I think my position is okay. Still I'm wondering would it be worth getting a fit done. It def wouldn't be retul.. too expensive. Some places do a fitting for about £40 that might be worthwhile.. anyone know of a cheap/free online alternative where you could submit a recording?

I'm not sure where you are based but Triangle in Horsforth (near Leeds) does a free bike fitting service even if you did not purchase the bike from them. It is a fantastic shop and the owner Adam is really helpful. 

• Options

Wow that would be sweet. I'm based in Northern Ireland so no good for me. There's various free software you can upload a video to the PC and measure angles etc. That will do for now.

I set off yesterday for a 10 mile run with a small chocolate bar, banana and a bottle of water.. finished it and instead of turning right for home turned left for a different 10 mile loop. Never ran more than a HM before but finished the 20 miles reasonably comfortable at sub 3:30 marathon pace. Very tempting to just finish off a marathon but i'll save that for another day. Feeling tight enough today!

• Options

I would have thought posting a video side on and head on here would get you some comments on your bike fit.

• Options

Worth a try.. I might stick up a dropbox link this evening.

• Options
    Good start to the festive season with a 16:43 5k in wind and hail. Think I just scraped top 10.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Anyone in training yet seeing as its the New Year..............or indeed in training for the training (which is probably the correct place to be this time of year) ?

• Options

Couple of rides out over the weekend. Having some difficulty with my 'arris post-saddle-sores. Good to get 130km+ in at the weekend though, so we're back on track from today! image

• Options

First time properly out on the bike since moving back to England. Let's just say my fingers and toes aren't quite ready for 2 degrees cycling just yet!!

• Options
    Icy round here. Two days of Turbo for me. Hope the weather is better next weekend.
  • Options
    I've set up a team on Trainerroad if anyone is interested.

Not exactly sure what this all means - I guess its a bit like Strava but without going anywhere.

If you're on TR - then feel free to join up.

http://www.trainerroad.com/teams/485-pirate-ship-of-fools
  • Options

Thought this might interest some - definitely highlights some room for improvement. It was a busy day at work so I churned this out:

http://i44.tinypic.com/1z57n0k.jpg

Not sure if that will give the full size image, so if not you can see it here

• Options

Do you have separate charts for bike and run too?
    Is that 2013 as a whole?

I'll post mine later.

• Options
    I don't to hand. The only areas where the run really deviated from the general trend has been when injured (I didn't run between being hit by the car and Zurich) and when I had saddle sores (no cycling but a bit of running mixed with a good helping of apathy!)
  • Options

way too many zero days.... image

This is mine

/members/images/461301/Gallery/perfmgmt.JPG

The blue line is the important one - represents training load === fitness
    The red dots are activity on any day - 0 = bad.

I started the year from nothing, (2 months off in Nov/Dec) so built up in Jan/Feb with a good camp in March.  slow build into IM Lanza but then had a really good build into Outlaw , (not many zero days) and 3 big sportives

had a bit of downtime and sort of struggled going into newcastle to london - but that was not a race image

broke a little again in Nov/Dec but starting to climb again this year (in the last week)

its come out a bit small - oh well image

• Options

Best description I've heard is:

Blue (Chronic Training Load) = Fitness.
    Pink (Acute Training Load) = Fatigue.
    Yellow (Training Stress Balance) = Blue - Pink = Freshness

To race well you want Blue (CTL) and Yellow (TSB) high. 

Does anybody know if there's a way to run a report on TrainingPeaks which tells you how many days you were lazy (or registered no TSS)? image

• Options

Using the old interface I exported a .csv file containing all my data, and from there was able to sort it out using Excel. I love Excel.

In total I only registered TSS on 157 days last year. That's a disappointing stat! Total TSS of 15420 for the year - so when I did train, I put in a reasonable amount of effort. A similar average TSS/d and less missed days (both early in the year and due to longer lay-offs) should see me accrue closer to 25k TSS this year. 

• Options

I'm so lost right now. I think I need to leave this thread!