Options

Anyone else REALLY scared??!!

Comments

• Options
    Weeble

Thanks for your kind words. Luckily I was getting ahead of my Training Programme before I was injured (maybe that's what led to the injury....) so I've the miles in the bank, and I know I can do them.

The issue will be a mental one of not using the injury as an excuse not to work hard.

Tubsterr

Again, thanks for your words. They really are helping this increasingly nervous virgin marathoner.

• Options
    All,

I was very nervous until I managed the 13 miles yesterday..
    I now feel that the training is paying off and has given me the urge to continue.
  • Options
    That’s what I like about this thread its got the mix of get you round and some trying to break the magic 4 hour barrier ... a real mix of serious and light heartened comments.

Sarah, Paula Radlcliffe is 5ft 8inchs and as thin as a stick.

I managed 13.5 yesterday in 2.15, fast for some but slow for breaking 4 hours but some Long runs are best done nice and slow and was good for my current progress. Took an ice bath afterwards courtesy of Paula’s advice and the sub 4 Thread on this site.

Whislt I think I will continue with the training the idea of another ice bath afterwards is categorically out of the question, what a crazy idea, anyone dabbled in this form of torture yet … it aids recovering apparently

To finish on a more positive note, looks like the evenings are getting brighter and this encourages the body to be more active in the evening so the dark road sessions start becoming more appealing in the coming weeks.

• Options
    Is she really that tall Liam she looks so tiny in life that I thought she was smaller
  • Options
    Hi All

Coming to the conclusion injury and set back is part of this whole thing. Its also quite stressful!!!

I was fine after my weekend run, until today when after 2 miles stopped, calf on fire. I was given a stern lesson in stretching this afternoon by my chiro. He has told me to cycle for a few days , keep fitness levels up by stay off the legs!

Out of interest - what times did you all put on your submissions?
  • Options
    Kev Jones

Was that your first 13 miler?

Weeble - I put 4.30. I think that frustration, demotivation, aches, annoyances and pain is what makes the marathon the best event there is.

The bigger the struggle, the more perfect the triumph.
  • Options
    Hi Weeble.

I have a golden place with the British Heart Foundation after failing to get a "free" place.
    I seem to remember putting between 4hr & 4:30 if me memory serves me right.
  • Options
    Hi Farmer

Yes, not ran that far before
  • Options
    Well, you've done a half-marathon! That's more than the vast, vast majority of people.

Well done.
  • Options
    RioFair, yes she is that tall and 2 years ago she sped past me when I worked at the waterstation 17 near docklands arena. Her speed and stride is impressive, as are all the top pros. Still we are fitter then them becasue they can only run for 2.20 hours or so before having to stop we can go for 4 hours plus ...... hmm odd logic i know.

Weeble, down for 4 hours but will reasess in mid to late march once my timed half marathon and longest runs are completed.

• Options
    Liam - a hosing down in the back garden works as well (apparantly , not yet tried it)
  • Options
    Weeble

Hosing down in the back garden.....are you sure you are on the right web site ?? :-)
  • Options
    giggle, like Liams logic too.
  • Options
    Have you tried wearing sports skins? They are brilliant for recovery if you do your long run and then sleep in them. They are not very attractive bed wear but after a 15 mile run all you do is eat then snore! Also put two pillows underneath your legs to keep them raised overnight. Got to be better than ice brrrr
  • Options
    Never heard of sports skins before but now i have experienced the ice bath of doom I think anything is preferable (expect hose in the garden). Where do you get them from?

Weeble, agree with Kev J this is a marathon website not sure your thread is legal ...!!
  • Options

Evil cold water on the leggies. I know it's hideous but it really really does work. I get in the shower, do my top bit in hot and then hold the shower head on my legs as cold as I can stand for as long as I can stand.

Nasty.

Isn't it amazing how tired 12-15 miles makes you feel! It makes you realise just what it's doing to your body. Yesterday I got home out of the rain and the wind after 12 miles and just collapsed on the sofa.
  • Options
    I am following the training guide featured in the FLM magasine. So did 15 miles yesterday. I have to sort out my fuelling regime as I was running on empty for the last 5 miles or so.

Also my knees are complaining quite badly after that many miles.

Agree with everybody else though - after that distance all I want to do is slob out for the rest of the day.
  • Options
    am really pleased yesterday should have been an 8 but they lied and it was 10 and considering i did 15 0n friday i felt really good at the end, no pain just very wet.richmond pk is amazing to run in. bit too far every wk tho.i am 5" 8 but im not fast and my long legs do not stride, can i swop?
  • Options
    Hi everyone .

Did I say no blisters a couple of weeks ago! Got one under my toe now from the long run before last. I could hardly walk last Wednesday. Put some Compeed on and managed my long run on Saturday - 17 miles - was meant to be 16 but got lost - I nearly cried when I found out - and had to walk the last mile home!

My legs were killing me, but still managed to go out Sat night and hobble on the dancefloor. Haven't been out for ages, but it seems this exercise lark is burning off the alcohol quicker - no sign of a hangover on Sunday - yippee!

Keep up the good work - I'm hoping for about 6 hours by the way - nice and slow.
  • Options
    All very quiet today ... either people are really scared or recovering from the Sunday long run .... but we have another session tonight oh joy.

JulesD, well done, if your up to 17 miles by mid feb your well on the way to building the right endurance, whats your plans for long runs through March!.

I flit between this and the sub four thread, its all getting a bit serious over there, I much prefer this thread which is more relaxed and talks about beer, hose downs and muffins !! good luck on your sessions tonight.

• Options
    I have hill running tonight so :-(
    May have to reward myself afterwards :-)
  • Options
    6 miles in the cold my hubbie says its been snowing today - OH JOY
  • Options
    Sarah,
    Instead of the cold shower everyone has been talking about you could just lay in the snow
  • Options
    More physio today then hoping to try a couple of miles walk/run tomorrow. However feeling really great having just received CD through the post today with FLM theme music on!! I felt so motivated listening to it I've even done some housework!

Weeble - I put 7 hrs as my time on the entry form. I'm at the red start, anyone else starting there?

Sarah O will try the sportskins site - and the pillows - or may just drape legs over the labrador who isn't supposed to be on the bed but sneaks up in the early hours and squashes my legs until I wake up!
  • Options
    PS Not sure about cold baths, my horse ditched me in the sea in January a couple of years ago and I didn't enjoy the experience at all! I went right under and she ran off down the beach! Took me about 3 hours to thaw out!
  • Options
    help!!!! having a real stress about a 20 mile race on sunday. why do we do this? i know if i dont do the time i will be really de motivated but if i dont go how will i know. doesnt help my brother (mr 8 and half minute man) keeps saying it doesnt matter how i do.
  • Options
    Hi

Anyone know good remedy for Shin Splints.......

Re time - i put 6+ hours too.
  • Options
    Weeble - I've not had shin splints proper, but get sore shins when I race walk. Icing helps and there are some stretches you can do - sure there will be some on this web site somewhere! Mine usually stop aching after the first mile!

Tinkerbelle - good luck with the 20 miler - as for your brother doing 8.5 min miles - I can't go that fast in the car!!