Options

Anyone else REALLY scared??!!

Comments

• Options
    Chocolate, yum! I've given up the chocolate thats not good for you like chocolate biscuits and galaxy but am sticking to the dark 70%+ which has lots of Iron in it which I am led to believe might have a higher melting point because of the lower amount of fat in it (great for us runners)
  • Options
    yes , its Green and Blacks off the Easter Bunny all round then! Have to confess , still not the same as a CCEgg though is it!? Sorry , lowering the tone aren't I!
  • Options
    i must have the choclate gene missing, dont like jelly babies and im not keen on chocolate, but fruit salads blck jacks and hard gums then im your gal.
  • Options
    Lent definately started yesterday which is Ash Wednesday as an ex convent school girl i know this stuff. I don;t like jelly babies or any sweets chocolate and cakes are my thing.
    I've got the day off work tomorrow to go clothes shopping because all of mine are too big! Hurray

Also watch BBC1 at 7pm tonight there is a program following beginners attempting the marathon.
  • Options
    Well, another weekend is nearly upon us which means even more miles uder our belts...
    It 4 tomorrow then 15 on Sunday for me so fingers crossed there will be plenty of sunshine and not much wind.
    I have a new pair of trainers to break in too.
    Hope everyone has a good injury free weekend
  • Options
    Hi Kev

I'm 15 sunday too , good luck. Just picked up a pair of trainers identical to my the ones i am running in so i don't run the risk of wearing them too far before 23/4!!!!

Enjoy the long runs this weekend guys! What date are you all planning to do your last long run in April beofre the big day?
  • Options
    Hi Weeble.

My last long run is scheduled for 02/04/06 20 miles.

I changed my shoes after suffering knee problems so am counting on the new ones being ok. A bit of a risk but spen over an hour with three runners in my gym shop yesterday trying different ones on.
  • Options
    TubsterrTubsterr ✭✭✭
    Lent?? OK I'll give up raw liver! Fireman's Run last night - 1.7 miles, managed to trot all of it except short hill - piriformis pulling so walked up and round corner and down then trotted on! Came a resounding last in 18 mins 49 secs but just glad to be "trotting" again! Hope to do 12 miles on Sunday, probably walking but just concentrating on getting miles under my belt now, times have gone out of the window! Hubby is still injured - having massage, physio and acupuncture and his magnopulse magnetic belt arrived today! Our lab has a magnetic collar for her arthritis which seems to help - but she keeps getting stuck to the fridge! Sorry I have a warped sense of humour! Safe, injury free training this weekend everyone! Tubs :0)
  • Options
    20 for me tomorrow in a race. jaffa cakes have been packed must get the essentials in first.
  • Options
    Tinkerbelle best of luck for tomorrows 20 and to JulesD running the mad march Hare 20. I am the sweeper for the course so its just a matter of getting around within the time limit of 4 1/2 hours. I may try out a new isotonic drink the pharmacist where I work recommended. Has anyone tried it its called VIPER and made by maximuscle (nothing to do with body building as the name may suggest).
  • Options
    Myself, Liz & Cardiff Staggerer ran 16 miles this morning in just over 3 hours. We also walked 1 mile either side - absolutely knackered now!! Good luck for tomorrow everyone!
  • Options
    Is anyone else feeling overwhelmed by their training programme? I'm training on my own and am now finding the training extremely arduous and am becoming quite depressed. Have I bitten off more than I can chew? Family, work, etc etc keep getting in the way of training sessions, so I never seem to complete the mileage that we are supposed to be doing. The cold, icy weather doesn't help either - makes everything so much harder!!

Think I need some TLC!!!

• Options
    all my training has been on my own after my brother (coach) demoralised my running.but hey you will get there, my 20 last year wasnt till 2 weeks before london, and please do not do that wasnt my brightest plan and in dublin my longest run was 13 and i still got round.
    did the 20 today at wymondham and my knees really hurt someone give me a hug.did 3.30 so its okay.big hug on way to you stilldreaming.
  • Options
    I am definitely finding the training programme depressing ; I felt dreadful after yesterday's 16 and whilst I know we walked a mile before and a mile after, I don't know how I can go much further. I seem to find energy levels drop massively at about 13 miles, despite sports drinks and jelly babies. I think I'm going to buy some roller skates.
  • Options
    Hi All

Sounds like its all going well!!!! Still dreaming , keep going , it will be OK..... I too run alone but having hooked up with another runner last week found it no better , spent the whole time aware I was holding him back and apologising for stopping for jelly babies and water! This week was 15.5 and it was an OK experience and Cardiff Staggerer, know exactly what you mean about feeling rubbish after the run. I think for all of us , the biggest achievment is the training whatever we churn out 23/4.
    Kev - how did your new trainers fair?
  • Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Hi all,
    Just popped in to say 'Well done' to Jules for her 20 miler today, and 'Thank you' to HW for her stirling efforts as sweeper. It was a long old way, and much of it run on my own, so was glad to have it under my belt.
  • Options
    Hi all, great race today Jules and I chatted all the way around nearly, she was brilliant 20 miles without stopping was an achievement to be proud of. The only problem is that I can hardly walk now.
    Well done slugsta and to any others racing today. Not many more weeks of long runs to go we are all heading to the end of the training tunnel daylight looming guys!
  • Options
    Hi Weeble,
    The new trainers stood up well to the 15 miles. Am sat here this monring with only a slight niggle in the right knee instead of the usual where bith knees would have bee killing me. I am now writing to Asics to see what they are going to do about their bad sales advice.. The new ones are Nike Veremeo's and feeling good

To everyone else
    I have always run on my own, the 15 miles yesterday was a bit lonely but I try and switch off from that, I guess it is mind over matter.

Lets ALL keep up the good work as it all be worth it on the 23rd April, I am sure we all be emotional afterwards.
  • Options
    Only managed 13.7 miles on sat it was hard from the first step wanted to do 16M but that wasn;t going to happen. I now know that i get runs like that about once a month so for the first time didn;t get upset or beat myself up about it, I just run/walked and cut it short. Had a sports massage yesterday which has made me feel tons better but I'm very sleepy and fatigued so am taking today as a rest day too.
    Well done to everyone else on their successful weekends, 20 miles is out of my reach right now I'm so impressed but one mile was last summer so I'm trying to stay positive!
  • Options
    Hi All

I've just found comfort,having picked up on your thread. I too intended to do 15-16 miles yesterday. However, like you Sarah, I cut the mileage short, as it was aweful run compared to last week's. I also decided not to beat myself up over the poor performance yesterday.

As I have decided to do a walk/run on the day, I just wondered if anyone knows the best way to tackle it. Some books suggest run a mile, walk a minute. Other books, such as Running for the Over 40s, say run 55 mins, walk 5 mins. Can anyone help?
  • Options
    Hi Everyone,

Wasn't in a fit state to go on the PC last night. Wow 20 miles in 4:19:57. Thanks HW for the company - even if it is slower than you would run. I was nearly crying afterwards from the cramps in my legs, but the jacuzzi at the gym helped a bit!

Legs are still tired especially my knees and quads, but trying to walk up the office a bit and chat - at least I can blame it on my legs.

Margaret, I am following the ideal world level 1 programme in a book called Marathon from Start to Finish by Sam Murphy. I found that that was just at my level - I am a slow runner, but I can keep going even if I feel like dying. I can't beleive I am covering these distances - I am ahead of the prgramme, as I had to get my mileage up for the race yesterday, but it amazing what you can do. I kept saying yesterday I must be mad putting my body through this!

Anyway keep chipping away at the miles everybody. I'm sure it will all come together in the end, plus the crowds will help us round.
  • Options
    Margaret RW do a pacing group that does run5 walk 1 so it might be an idea to practice that and hook up with them at the start on the big day. It will get you round comfortably(ish) in around 5.15 or so I think
  • Options
    TubsterrTubsterr ✭✭✭
    Is there a pacer group for walkers??!! I managed 12 miles yesterday, walked it all in (blushes) 3hrs 15 min - it will be dark by the time I finish on the 23rd! Piriformis was niggling quietly but balls of feet were really aching last mile. They're fine now, and legs feel ok. 15 next week hopefully. Well done everyone with great mileages :0)
  • Options
    Hi Jules
    Just an update on the race, the guy who was running with you at the start walked from about12 miles and when we saw him at 18ish he had given up, the car behind us brought him back. My legs have recovered alot quicker than last year, I can even walk up stairs not like last year by this time I was crawling up and down stairs. Just a sore knee from the tumble at 17 miles! best wishes and many thanks.
  • Options
    New week - new start!! Decided to give the RW Run/Walk Schedule a go today (instead of sub 4.30) and have to say that I found it a lot less stressful and only marginally slower than I normally run. Am going to stick with it for this week and see how I feel at the weekend for the next long run.

Thanks for all the encouragement!! Fingers crossed!!
  • Options
    TubsterrTubsterr ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the run walk stilldreaming, it's what got me started and if it wasn't for my wretched pirifomis I'd be run/walking now! However I'll settle for walking round this time! John Bingham's Marathons for Mortals has some excellent walk/run run/walk schedules in too. Even Tubsterrs can do them!
  • Options
    Hi everyone,

There's something to be said about run/walk getting you round in a good time if you are disciplined to do it. there was a lady in the race yesterday who came in 10 mins ahead of me. I am aiming to run(or plod) the whole thing apart form any toilet stops that is, and hopefully judging by yesterday I've got the guts to do it.

HW, I know someone else who pulled out at 17 miles after walking from 15 with a bad knee. It must be something to do with that mile coz I found it hard from then on.

Glad you have recovered well. I can just about do stairs properly now. Oh well, back to running club tomorrow night- think I'll take it easy - some chance!

P.S. to everyone on this thread, saw lots of bits of Jelly Babies scattered en route yesterday (Christchurch Mad March Hare 20)
  • Options
    Hi folks.

I have just realised it is only 6 weeks to FLM and I am way way under trained. Now getting a little scared. Doing a half marathon on Sunday and this will gauge how I am doing but I am sure I will be near the 2hrs 45 or even more for the half. I now from previous experience it is too late to pick up the training so have got an idea this could be a PW.

Have never done a plod/walk seriously before. If doing a 5/1 or 5/2 do you start this right from the start line? Doesn't it feel strange walking after only 5 mins? If I try this on all runs between now and race day will this be enough to get me used to a plod/walk ratio?
  • Options
    u wont be able to run at the start the sheer number of people makes it impossible.
    but it does help to get u into a pace thats sustainable.it can take 10 mins to get through the start.
  • Options
    So why has everyone been so quiet this week. Are we all worn out after last weekends training ????