Options

Run for Glory

Comments

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    walking pace is around 15mm
  • Options
    Hang on - just measured myself and its actually 15.6 mins per mile. There ya go. Conclusive evidence.

Sally Gunnells not aged well has she ? Do you think its all that jumping over hurdles ?
  • Options
    Well mine is 20mm its different for everyone I am really short and definately have to jog a bit to reach 15mm so stop generalising.
  • Options
    Its not Sarah - I just measured it ! ;-)
  • Options
    Have a nice weekend I'm going home and will walk to the tube which if was a mile away would take me 20 mins or more xxxx
  • Options
    I thought they were a bit harsh on the 15mm mile thing, and I dont understand how they could have been any slower than they were the first time! Surely the fact that they were able to run the mile without stopping is some progress for some of them. I hope they are getting more encouragement all round than they appear to be on the programme.
  • Options
    I can well and truly understand them being slower: when you jog slowly a lot of your energy is going into just getting the up and down movement, so you can lose some on the going forward bit. That's my experience anyway! I think they were probably burning more energy and deserve some credit for it!

And unfortunately I think Linda, Michelle and Preeti probably are pretty average. I think I heard over 50% of people in the UK are now overweight? And how many people walk to the supermarket/school rather than take their cars, or do any regular exercise? Not many!

I also think Linda and Preeti both showed a lot of determination just to finish that mile. Linda did have the hip injury (she said she'd been told not to run for two weeks by a physio: no faking there). I wouldn't be surprised if Preeti has PCOS which would make it difficult to lose weight. And with her history of bullying she'll have a lot of self-doubt and fears to work against. It's difficult enough to get out and exercise without the real possibility that you are going to meet people who'll shout abuse, spit at you, throw things, try and trip you up... very possibly what she's facing. She's probably had that kind of treatment hundreds if not thousands of times in the past.

The person who's annoying me is JJ. She's the one who's really got the idea it's going to be easy and she doesn't need to train. I wouldn't be surprised if she's out next episode.
  • Options
    Hi - I was at a conference in November where Sally Gunnell was a guest speaker. She mentioned this programme and admitted that she wasn't sure she could run a marathon as she was built as a sprinter not a distance runner and that people were quite surprised to see she hadn't done better at the GNR. I'm neither built as a sprinter or a distance runner but plan to do the FLM - neither are a lot of the people on this programme. If Sally Gunnell doesn't think she can run a marathon, she's not going to think these guys can. Athletes think differently to the rest of us.
  • Options
    Hello all.

I caught this program two weeks ago, think I missed the first one.

I like the messages that this program is portaying so far, in as much as it is asking its viewers to respect the marathon distance and not take entering one lightly. But I also think their expectations are too high if they are expecting the runners to run the whole thing!!! Run/walk - surely?

Have to say it seems to me that there are some determined peeps out there and good luck to them. However one of them is irritating me and that is Linda. I know this sounds harsh, but to me she is always having a whinge about something. Whereas the blonde lady (can't remember her name) that was encouraging her the night before they did the mile run seems very determined. She only mentioned that she had had the flu as a way of trying to show Linda that she wasn't the only one that had to miss out on training, albeit not so much. I think Linda will have to pull her socks up and also that it was a shame that Sally Gunnell et al were so harsh with the blonde lady after she had done her mile. She was trying to help Linda as far as I could see and I thought she did really well!

And now they have to do 5 miles in a month. I think that will be really hard to acheive, unless they will be allowed to run/walk it. Blimey it took me 3 months to get to 3 miles!

:0)

• Options
    I also got irritated by Preety but then felt sorry for her as she was doing it because she'd been bullied and had lost a lot of self-esteem - a fact which seemed to have been lost on the Doctor and Sally Gunnell when they took a "bullying" approach to try to motivate her. Bullying might work on talented athletes, but not people with self-esteem problems. I think she will drop out.
  • Options
    I agree that a run/walk strategy might be more realistic for some of the ones they've focused on.
    I would like to see more of the other runners this week - I know it's only a half hour summary but they have focused a lot on the ones with particular difficulties over the first two episodes.
    I'd have thought watching some of the others might be more interesting to those forumites who are training for FLM at the moment and started with a rather higher fitness base.
  • Options
    Can anyone tell me whether this programme is real time..? What I mean is, are the runners at the same stage as the rest of us.. 6 weeks away..? If that's the case then I'm a little worried about some of them. I'm pretty fit and healthy. But I've already done one 20 miler and even I think I could have problems on the day (btw, I'm not doing FLM, I'm doing Lochaber which is same day).

• Options
    One of the blokes last week set off for his mile run like a gazelle
  • Options
    I think this programme started filming last year and these programmes up to the marathon are 1/2 hour summaries of each month's training - i.e. the first 2 were November and December - they said that this week's programme where they are supposed to do 5 miles was filmed at the end of last year so in that case they have a head start on some people who will have started from zero in January but some of them had a long way to go to get to basic fitness levels....

• Options
    Yeah Mercury, I noticed that too. I think that was Clint - He looked like he set off at about 4 min/mile pace!!
    It would have been good if they'd said "the first runner finished in 6 mins" (or whatever time they did) but instead they just focused on the ones that took 15 mins.

Yes, I think Sian's timetable is about right. The programmes at the moment are about a month apart in real time. So they still have a good few months before FLM.
  • Options
    I really hope Preeti doesn't drop out. As someone who's been bullied severely myself I know what it's like, and I also know you have to learn not to listen to other people too much! She showed a lot of grit getting through the mile I think. If she can keep doing that and not give in to the negativity then it really is going to be a major life changing experience for her.
  • Options
    Cath - its a 6 month timeline I believe. Too tight for some of the real beginners I think.
  • Options
    Rowan G - Thanks for clearing up the running slower than walking thing - it makes sense now!

Yes, hope Pretti makes it, it will boost her confidence enormously.

Maybe the prog isnt talking bout run/walking, as run/walking a marathon might not grab as many viewers as it would by 'running' the mara. But I hope that they point run/walk out to the contestants!
  • Options
    Artemis: I don't know if what I said was fact, just makes sense to me that you've got to use some energy launching yourself off the ground, even if you are just bouncing and aren't going forward much!

I can run slower than I walk!
  • Options
    The concept of the show is very good, but I find it hard to understand why they got 2 Olympic athletes, only one of whom has done a marathon, to coach people who have never attempted this sort of thing. Cram and Gunnell have spent a lifetime keeping fit, the people in the show have so much more than just fitness to worry about. They would have been better off sending them to a local running/fitness club first, so they would have been in a more friendly running environment.
  • Options
    I reckon the programme would appeal more to marathon runners if the 13 people were more in line with the normal FLM distribution by times - i.e. 25% sub 4, 25% 4:00-4:30, 25% 4:30-5:00 and 25% 5 hrs or more. That has been the picture (more or less) over the last few years.

But would it appeal more to the general public?
  • Options
    I've just remembered those are the rough stats of those who make the start line - doesn't include the 20-25% who DNS each year!! So I guess 3 or so drop outs out of 13 would be roughly normal?
  • Options
    I think they've done well with this show so far. They're right to focus in on the ones who are struggling the most right now (although it would have been nice to hear at least something from those who's training is going well). I think it's perfectly sensible to use people like Cram and Gunnell - they're both used to doing tv shows and it's not as if they're devising the training plans for them, they're just doing the 'booster' weekends. I also think that walking a mile in 15 minutes is reasonable for a healthy person!

I don't know how I feel about Preeti. Losing weight is a really hard thing to do, but she doesn't seem to be taking any responsibility for herself. She needs to reconnect with her body and realise that it's her weight and only she can change that.

Michelle has got the right mindset for this, she seems amazingly determined and out of the three women they've focussed on, she's got one over on them simply because of her attitude.

The justgiving link posted earlier in the thread is really interesting - the updates and amounts raised are fascinating and gives a pretty good idea as to who's going to make it (to the start line at least).
  • Options
    As far as I'm concerned, I would love to have a 2:35 marathoner (Cram) and an Olympic gold medallist (Gunnell) helping out with my training!
  • Options
    I think I would like someone helping me who wasnt quite such am elite athlete actually
    someone who understands how it feels for people at the back of races, but has the experience of many marathons

thats why I am on this website
  • Options
    I would post a long list of thankyous, but it would be too much like oscar night!
    Looking forward to this on Thursday
    BTW-how DO you spell pretti's name?
  • Options
    Give me a good club runner anyday, unless you can run at Crams speed there is no point, and Gunnell has no history of distance running.