Options

Run for Glory

Comments

• Options
    I am hoping for 3hrs 30min this year.Did a 17 miler today and fear has started to set in.Goodness knows how i would feel if i couldn't run a mile.The one advantage they have i suppose is they don't know what they are letting themselves in for.I wish them luck but just hope they are not going to be in front of me on the start line.
  • Options
    These people are not interested in times they just would like to finish the event and its all about a very personal challenge for them.

Do any of us who have never done a marathon before and not looking for sub 4hrs 5hrs etc etc really know what we are letting ourselves in for ? Many of us will never run 26 miles before the day so we will never know what is going to be like until April 23rd.

Good luck to each and everyone of them and us !!
  • Options
    forgot to Sky+ this. B*gger. Running home tonight so I guess this gives me a target to get home by!

Really interested to see how they are getting on as only caught the last five minutes last week.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I've already set my video in case I forgot before I go running tonight.
  • Options
    Hurray - its Thurs again! Cant wait to see tonight's prog. Hopefully the ladies will have been kitted out in good support bra's this week!

As a beginner myself, with only 2 months running under my belt, I can relate to a lot of the ppl's fitness levels - so cant wait to see what progress they've made. I will prob think, if they can do it, so can I.
  • Options
    I'll be watching too. Beats running on a wet day like today!
  • Options
    the rain is not an excuse for me anymore after I got caught out in it y/day - and it was the best run i've ever had! I could have kept going and going. Felt like waving to all the motorists and could hardly keep the smile off my face! Must have been something about being out in the 'elements' or maybe I'm just odd? :-/

Was meant to be going out tonight, but that has been cancelled so looking forward to settling down and watching it properly.
  • Options
    Don't mind light rain - can be quite refreshing if the air temperature's quite warm. But heavy rain and wind I find pretty miserable (usually resort to treadmill at the gym!).
  • Options
    So your viewing won't be doing your usual elaborate "getting ready to go out" routine this week?! ;0)
  • Options
    lol, no, will be able to give the routine a miss tonight - it takes a lot of of me! Will be glad of a break! ;-)
  • Options
    Doing that a few times a week must be almost like marathon training!!
  • Options
    Artemis's marathon training plan - a typical week:

Monday: 40 mins easy (make up, hairspray and perfume only).
    Tues: 30 mins threshold (full hairwash, dry, make up and perfume done in a rush as running late)
    Weds: 30 mins hills (drying hair and applying lippie whilst running up and down stairs)
    Thurs: Rest (Make a few nuisance calls to the BBC then watch 'Run for Glory').
    Fri: 40 mins fartlek (start slowly by washing hair preparing for night out. Big change of pace once friend tells you you're running late)
    Sat: 2 hour long run, easy pace. (Spend most of the afternoon glamming up for your big night out).
    Sun: 20 mins Recovery (probably more like most of the day).
  • Options
    LOL!! Uncannily accurate! Its a wonder I can even fit in a run!

:-)

Oops - forgot to make a nuisance of myself with the bbc this week. What can I bother them with now?!
  • Options
    Whatever the question is, the answer's 'no!'.

PLEASE STOP STALKING US!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    But the beeb will miss me if I stop calling, Im sure they will! And I know they are only joking when they say 'stop calling us' and put the phone down.
  • Options
    Damn! Forgot my picture would still come up on the message - thought I might get you worried there!
    Yes, I'm sure they are really absolutely delighted to receive your inquisitive calls! :0)
    Saw on the news last night some bloke dialled 999 to complain that he was at the bus stop and there hadn't been a bus for 20 mins!
    Must dash now, got to get home in time for Run for Glory!
  • Options
    Only 1/2 worried!

I dont blame him!

Must drag myself away from my desk myself now. Nearly 7o'clock!
  • Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Seriously hoping that Artemis is a female after all the lippie and perfuming going on in that schedule!!!

Thanks for reminding me its on again tonight, thought it was Tuesday for some reason.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if Sally Gunnell is going to run the marathon with them
  • Options
    I dont like this program - theyve built peoples hopes up and i just dont think its realistic for some of them to do a marathon from zilch in just 6 months.

They seem to have no backup support visible apart from a silly test once a month.

WTF was the rowing all about ? Apart from making TV ? Its as much technique as anything and of course they sat up when they were caught. As if they could come back at them.

And what credentials has Sally Gunnell got for distance running ? Cram isn't a marathon runner either and I dont think they know what they're doing. I bet we'll get a few fails next week.
  • Options
    You have to have fails as that is what jo public is doing and it reflects its audience.

I felt sorry for the really big ladies at the end of this week as they gave it max and are nowhere close. 6 months doesn't seem long enough. Ditto with Cougie on the support. Where is the help they need to loose the weight? They know how little willpower they have. I know it has to come from within but I think it could be encouraged more.

I fairly confident that Cram and Gunnell are just window dressing and that somebody else is doing the training plans.
  • Options
    hmmph, glad I'm not the only one annoyed with this TV program. from 1-5 miles in a month is way more than 10% per week! Crackers training program. That poor Michelle is going to kill herself doing it too.

The lady who has had cancer. I could have slapped Steve Cram - she has that attitude simply because she's been where he fecking hasn't. She can put as much or as little effort in as she likes (although it does annoy me that she entered this with what appears to be no intention of training).

• Options
    I'm really enjoying the show.
    I agree to some extent with the points mentioned, but let's face it they're getting a lot more support than if they'd just got lucky in the ballot.
    And I'm really impressed with the progress some of them are making. Steve was so chuffed to have lost nearly two stone and is clearly making a real effort.
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Sally Gunnell has run the GNR. She did mention on morning tv that she should do the marathon to.

Michelle has good family support.
  • Options
    Well, that was a good watch. Happy for Steve at his weight loss. Felt sorry for Pretty trying to loose weight - yes, it has to come from within, but she was asking for help with her diet and admitted she didnt know what to do, and her request seemed to fall on def ears.

So, they have to go from 1mile to 5 miles in the next month? Hmmm, thats a tough one, but not impossible I suppose - I've been running for two months and am up to 5 miles now going from zero fitness like these guys. But there is no way at the moment that I would like to attempt a mara in 6 months!

I would rather the prog be a bit longer, so that they could focus on more ppl per programme and show them training on their own.
  • Options
    jeeeeeeeez
    WHY dont they get the fatter ones run walking

and 15 min miles id NOT a normal peeps wlaking pace

the task is not impossible
    but for the pathetic "let everyone else fix it" Pritti and Linda-
    bloody hell
    no way

Michelle will do it on bloody mindredness
    but someone should tell the poor cow about run /walking
    can we E mai, them???????
  • Options
    also-you ont need to go to physical armageddon to complete a marathon
    you ned the mental balls-sure
    but rowing curcuits aint the way to do it
    take em on a 24 hour walk
  • Options
    I watched the tv programme tonite, with only 3-4 months ago from televising I cannot see
    a lot of them even completing 5 miles. I think it is a big ask for 6 months at the state of fitness etc they are all at!