Options

Sub 3:15 - FLM 2009

Comments

• Options
    Whoops!

Physio last night, bit of a minor setback, been running last few weeks with pain in right calf, he's waved his magic wand during the treatment, assured me it's just some inflamed tendons that will settle down, hoping to do the Horsforth 10k on Sunday, not racing but plan to run first 5k steady then last 5k as a tempo/hard run.

All the best to everyone for this weekend's racing/training.
  • Options
    I've been roped into the Round Sheffield Relay which is described as a 9.5 mile strenuous run. Sounds like fun!
  • Options
    Hey all,

Have had hellish week at work but reasonably Q (SHHHHH)at mo. Glad to see thread thriving :)

Some good running going on. 1st 20+ last sun (7.55mm av 157 73% whr for me).

Have posted this question on the sub 3 thread but would be interested in thoughts on here.

Cardiff in 3 weeks and current PB 3.19.

Following some good runs feel that aiming for 7mm is realistic and within current level. Would be ecstatic to knock 14/15mins of and aim for sub 3 in Rome in spring.

However, the gamble is aim for sub 3, blow up and come in around 3.15 which would leave me with a PB but a bit gutted.

Your Thoughts?
  • Options
    Maybe take the middle ground - play it safe, run a controlled PB without killing yourself and keep the confidence up for cracking the 3 in Rome, without needing to takes ages off to recover / get your mojo back. Sounds like there is only a small chance of sub 3 but a great chance of 3:05 - 3:10.
  • Options
    Odeon:
    I tried throwing caution to the wind at Cardiff last year, coming back immediately after a period of injury. Our similarities are quite comparable.
    I tried for 3:00, knew that I'd blown probably it by halfway. By three quarters I signalled to the wife that it was going to be more like 3:15. But the last few miles were like running through treacle. The people passing me were almost sprinting. There was nothing I could do, and I came in with 3:18. Bear in mind that I'd flown round London 6 months earlier in 3:06, and energy to spare.

I always use my other race and training times as markers. Peeling 5 minutes off a marathon pb is a tall ask. Not impossible, as my 3:06 came off a 3:14.

Having re-read your query, I would suggest that you set your mind around being very happy with 3:01, 3:05, 3:11, and 3:14 outcomes. If you pull it off, well done. If not, then still rejoice. No point in a pb and feeling gutted.
  • Options
    I think u're both right chaps.

Sub 3.10 is on the cards and that should be the goal. I pride myself on setting targets and achieving them. 3.20 in ed turned into 3.19.52.

Sub 3 is not there just yet.

20miles today in 15secs per mile quicker than last week with a lower hr. I'm still on the up curve having had a poor august.

One more 20 the taper.

Cheers Guys
  • Options
    Odeon,

Think you've already decided but my advice would also be to target a solid race this time rather than risk it all for sub 3 and a possible crash & burn to..... well who knows? that could be a real dent in the confidence.

Maybe go for the negative split? That would add even more confidence for next year particularly if you can manage to break 3:10 this time round.

TMW

My current bi-weekly speedwork sessions are geared toward a 10 mile PB attempt on 15th October and on upping my basic speed, after that it will be 1 session a week just for maintenance and to avoid wombling boredem during the marathon build up.
  • Options
    Humph - which 10 mile race?

I am doing Cabbage Patch 10 on the same date and am meant to be doing speedwork for it but have done none as yet. I find it the hardest training to do as I usually train alone. Plan to do some mile reps this week but I think I've left it too late really. My target is 65 minutes, based on running about 10k pace and then holding on.

Good point about avoiding the boredom though. I must try and make them a regular feature of training.
  • Options
    TMW, I am running at Tiptree, Essex.

A reasonably fast course similar to the Cabbage Patch but with quite an uphill between 8 & 9. I'd love a sub 65, (PB is 65:32) but if the higher than average temperatures hang around I think I'll struggle, I've never run a PB in over 14c.

Good luck on holding onto 10k pace, if all goes well I will simply try and run each mile under 6:30 and just count them off as they go then see what's left over the last mile. Mind you as it is a club championship race the chances are the plan will go out the window and will end up as a burn up which could get messy.........
  • Options
    East Neuk (Fife) 10k yesterday in very wet and blustery conditions. Managed a PB of 43:07 .. very happy considering it was more like a cross-country run. October is a race free month for me, then a 10 miler and HM in quick succession early in November ...and then the countdown to Boston begins ...

• Options
    some serious times being mentioned on here

since falling apart on the mablethorpe marathon due more to the heat then anything else

have started to focus for next April

aiming for the end of the year to be running 8milers in 7.15 comfortably

manged 8 at the weekend in 1hr

and run 2 x 6m since in 46min

wouldnt say at the moment they felt comfy
    but as we all know keep hitting them and they will
  • Options
    Ran a 9.5 leg as part of the Round Sheffield relay which involved up and down 2 valleys so hard work. We had to run in pairs and my partner was struggling with some of the ascents so worked well as a training run. Our team won the ladies competition and were 3rd overall against mixed and mens teams (although we were given a 30 minute head start).

First run for the club and a trophy in the bag - not bad!

Macclesfield half on Sunday - any takers?
  • Options
    I'm doing Cricklade half on Sunday.

My first one in ages.

Hey, I got a nice tempo session in tonight, 6.5 miles at a 6:59 pace. Quite satisfying. All I need to do is to multiply it by 4 for distance.
  • Options
    Well done CG, good luck for Macclesfield!

Wow, fast session Blisters. I did 6.5 miles at 7:42 pace this morning and felt wiped out!

• Options
    started working on my base running for FLM

did 14 today in 1hr 50min

I think the dark nights will soon be on us

heard the weatherman say we are looseing 4mins of daylight a day at the moment
  • Options
    Remember though that I expect to do 3:15, but am finding it less than easy to step up to 3:00.

TC - This daylight loss certainly is noticeable, as I keep having to change the time clocks on the lights every couple of weeks.
  • Options
    Well done on the run and the trophy CG!

Rested as advised by physio until Sunday.

Ran Horsforth 10K as my plan, reasonably steady first half and worked hard second half. Picked up quite a few places second half, finished 75th out of 350. despite first couple of miles being uphill, can't get away from the fact that my 45.02 was a personal worst!

Mile reps last night 3 at 6.23 miling with around 5 min jog recoveries.

Lots of work to do!
  • Options
    Keep it going Hamer!
    I assure you that the mile rep times do improve, even if they don't get easier.
    75/350 sounds like a decent result to me, even if 45.02 was not your best. Put it into the pot of races completed, and learn what you can from the result.
  • Options
    morning all, can i join the sub 3:15 club, i know its a little early but i am just getting going again after FLM 06, due to knee trouble, want a sub 3:15 time this year, any advise would be great..thanks rob
  • Options
    Well done on the PB DD and trophy CG.

HT keep going with those reps, the times will drop as will the recovery intervals. Consider the 10k a good training session rather than 'slow' race. FWW my PW for 10k is 49:01* so you have a way to go yet in the PW stakes!

R22, welcome, how did you do this year?

Some good and some bad this week for me. The bad was missing club training last night and then overeating to boot, the good was enjoying the lovely meal with the long suffering Mrs Humph and celebrating her birthday :-) Also managed a PB on my lunchtime 'just under' 5 mile loop on Monday, aided by some 'orrible weather I decided that I'd push it at comfortably hard pace and was quite surprised to stop the clock at 31:50. Just need to hold that pace for double the distance in a couple of weeks, hmmm

* it was a PB at the time though ;-)
  • Options
    Humph-think so too that you celebrated your lass's birthday

she properbly realised it was her birthday as you didnt go for a run
  • Options
    good running everyone.

triathlon season finished for me last sunday with the new forest half ironman, which ended with a brutal but beautifully scenic off-road half marathon. finished 49th out of 250, so was pretty happy.

taking a week off this week, and then will start focussing on the running for the FLM build-up. can't say i'll miss having to go swimming first thing in the morning!

good luck to all racing this weekend!
  • Options
    60 Mins off road hilly run late this afternoon.

Can't shake this tendonitis off from the right leg. Seems to ease uphill. Going to carry on running at the moment as it just aches rather then really feels like somethings likely to 'go'.

Started a core strength/yoga/pilates class yesterday to try and improve my core strength and flexibility as advised by chiropractor. Yes I'm getting old, yes I'm getting desperate, but let's face it, we all do whatever we can to keep running.

Best for the weekend.

Enjoy.
  • Options
    Rest tonight. Yup zero miles.
  • Options
    But I got 5 miles today, including 2 at short race pace. Apparently it was a 2 mile loop around the grass field, but with my time of 11:20 I doubt it was a full 2 miles.

Tomorrow, target is 20 miles, with 13 at race pace.
  • Options
    Blisters - you are everywhere ! Good luck on the 20 miler ... presume the race pace 13 are at the end :-)

Hammertime, to fix your tendonitis you will probably have to change something. Taking on appropriate stretches, changing running shoe after gait analysis, or training on different surfaces etc can all work over time. But until you remove what caused it, it won't improve ! As an example, I once changed training shoe and got achilles tendonitis in a fortnight. It turned out the new trainers had a lower heel, stretching the achilles more. Changing back to my old trainer type fixed it, but it took a couple of months.

Anyhow, if I get a place in the LFM, I may have a crack at 3:15 again (managed it in 2005, first mara since then was today). The problem is I have a marathon the week before the LFM, so the chances of a decent time are low.
  • Options
    WOO HOO!!! The good news is I managed a GFA at Loch Ness Marathon today. 3.12.48!!!! My previous PB was 3.29.09 so for anyone who has a sizable chunk to knock off I can confirm that it can be done! Been holding off sending in entry for FLM pending today's result and now I'm guaranteed an entry for the next two years without going through the ballot.
    Splits of 1.33.30 and 1.39.18 but the second half has a killer hill from about mile 17 that goes on and on and on for about 4 miles and this year I kept pushing all the way up it, picking up bucket loads of places as I climbed. A closer to even split this year after being through half way last year in under 1.30.
    Training had gone a lot better this time and the major difference was quality speed work, plus I managed to make myself do a proper taper and limit the running.
    So, wonder where that leaves me for FLM, what SHALL I aim for now?

Good Luck for Boston DD. Anyone else got a full marathon coming up, how many of you off to Luton?
  • Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Quality running Aberdonian, that's a massive PB; FLM is pretty flat so aim even faster in April.....well run!
  • Options
    Aberdonian: Fantastic news, and well done (I bet you are). I suggest that you don't focus on a time for FLM yet, 3:05 or less is on the cards. Use a Feb HM for speed training and a March HM as your target time guide.

I did Cricklade HM today in conditions that the goldfish would call wet. 1:28 is not good enough for breaking sub 3 (I'd need 1:25 tops, 1:23 realistically). Let's see what Greg MacMillan says. AHA 3:06.

We'll see. I think he may be optimistic.